Is there a better HARMONIOUS band????

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Is there a better HARMONIOUS band????

Postby OpeningAct » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:45 pm

I got to thinking after listening to some cds the other day just how great Journey's background vocals sound on various songs. I got to thinking of the various classic rock bands and really couldn't come up with one with such sweet background vocals that work so well with the songs.
In particular Escape (the song), I'll Be Alright Without You jump to mind immediately, along with Wheel In The Sky and Anytime/Feeling That Way.
I know there are LOTS more but those are ones that came to me right off the top of my head.
OpeningAct
LP

Postby NealIsGod » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:51 pm

Listen to Shy. Very strong melodic BG vox, like Journey. Some samples:

http://www.nehrecords.com/SHOP/ShySunset.htm
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:39 am

They've got great harmonies and bg vox especially the Rolie and Deen eras.
You raised ROR wich DID have some beauties. Anybody know if it was Cain Perry or Schon who sings the "YYYYOOOOOOUUUUUUU DON'T NEED IT people wondering why we broke apart...." part in IBAWY? I love that part. I alsways thought it could be perry doing the latter line but one of the others doing the former, louder part...
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:35 am

Red13JoePa wrote:They've got great harmonies and bg vox especially the Rolie and Deen eras.
You raised ROR wich DID have some beauties. Anybody know if it was Cain Perry or Schon who sings the "YYYYOOOOOOUUUUUUU DON'T NEED IT people wondering why we broke apart...." part in IBAWY? I love that part. I alsways thought it could be perry doing the latter line but one of the others doing the former, louder part...

"You don't need it" was sung by Jon in concert. But I always thought it was still Perry on record.

Journey's bg vox were better in the early days because it was all the guys doing the harmonies. Frontiers and ROR pretty much sound like multiple layers of Perry's voice. That always bothered me. They had the talent and ability to do "real" harmonies and they decided just to layer one man's voice!
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby JourneyTroll » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:23 am

jrnyman28 wrote:
Red13JoePa wrote:They've got great harmonies and bg vox especially the Rolie and Deen eras.

"You don't need it" was sung by Jon in concert. But I always thought it was still Perry on record.

Journey's bg vox were better in the early days because it was all the guys doing the harmonies. Frontiers and ROR pretty much sound like multiple layers of Perry's voice. That always bothered me. They had the talent and ability to do "real" harmonies and they decided just to layer one man's voice!

How about Styx, REO Speedwagon, and Supertramp for harmanizing?

Journeytroll
JourneyTroll
LP

Postby heardonthestreet » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:46 am

It was the greatest with Classic Journey and I missed Greggs voice when he left. Imo,the harmonies now and on the last two efforts are a far cry from what was. There appears to be a lack of control now, but then I understand that the guys are mostly just having fun.
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby Fernando Ramirez » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:54 am

Great harmony vox? In addition to Journey, I always think of Boston, Queen, the Carpenters, Def Leppard... some AMAZING background vocals on songs by those groups, too.
Fernando Ramirez
45 RPM

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:16 am

heardonthestreet wrote:It was the greatest with Classic Journey and I missed Greggs voice when he left. Imo,the harmonies now and on the last two efforts are a far cry from what was. There appears to be a lack of control now, but then I understand that the guys are mostly just having fun.

By last two, do you mean Arrival and Red13? Or have you listened to Generations?
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby jrnyman28 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:17 am

Fernando Ramirez wrote:Great harmony vox? In addition to Journey, I always think of Boston, Queen, the Carpenters, Def Leppard... some AMAZING background vocals on songs by those groups, too.

Queen! Definately. DL sounds too over-produced IMO.
jrnyman28
Compact Disc

Postby Fernando Ramirez » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:51 am

jrnyman28 wrote:Queen! Definately. DL sounds too over-produced IMO.

The two standout Queen songs IMHO are YOU TAKE MY BREATH AWAY and LOVE OF MY LIFE. Phenomenal background vox by Freddie.

I've recently been listening to EUPHORIA. That album has some great background vox. And of course, HYSTERIA is a high-water mark for background vox.
Fernando Ramirez
45 RPM

Postby Playitloudforme » Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:29 pm

Queen absolutely. Def Leppard.

My overall choice would be Yes. Jon Anderson, Chris Squire and Rick Wakeman put forth amazing vocals.
Playitloudforme
Cassette Tape

Postby Jeremey » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:52 pm

how about the little river band?
Jeremey
Stereo LP

Postby OpeningAct » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:30 am

Jeremey wrote:how about the little river band?
Dude, "Take it Easy On Me...!!!!" :wink: :P
OpeningAct
LP

Postby Abitaman » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:19 am

JourneyTroll wrote:
How about Styx, REO Speedwagon, and Supertramp for harmanizing?

Journeytroll

Don't forget the Eagles-ERIC
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Return to Journey