Has Anybody Read ALL of THIS?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby swepett » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:11 am

Sundet wrote:Well well.
running - at SOME point he would surely have exposed himself?

At one point early in the show, and this was before I went backstage and found out what I have been posting elsewhere, the sound of Steve's voice was heard before he had put his mic to his mouth! I can't remember which song it was but it was early in the set and Steve was standing right in front of the drum kit. In a split second, Steve turned around and finished the remaining 30 seconds or so of the song with his back to the crowd.

A couple of days after the show, I got a mail from a friend and fellow fan who asked if I had noticed this. So I was not the only one seeing this.
swepett
Ol' 78

Postby swepett » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:13 am

Monker wrote:
What you say above is simply adding your opinion of what you saw and heard to the stack of other opinions of the bootlegs, Are you willing to take the leap and say you know for a fact that Augeri is lip-synching...cuz it doesn't seem you are willing to go that far.

I am saying what I have said all along: the voice coming out of Augeri's mic line was not the same coming out of the mix from Elson's board.
swepett
Ol' 78

Postby LAWoman » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:15 am

swepett wrote:

At one point early in the show, and this was before I went backstage and found out what I have been posting elsewhere, the sound of Steve's voice was heard before he had put his mic to his mouth! I can't remember which song it was but it was early in the set and Steve was standing right in front of the drum kit. In a split second, Steve turned around and finished the remaining 30 seconds or so of the song with his back to the crowd.

A couple of days after the show, I got a mail from a friend and fellow fan who asked if I had noticed this. So I was not the only one seeing this.

Did you notice whether or not Deen Castronovo was singing at that time?
LAWoman
45 RPM

Postby swepett » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:20 am

LAWoman wrote:Did you notice whether or not Deen Castronovo was singing at that time?

No, he wasn't, and it was Steve's voice me and my friend heard.
swepett
Ol' 78

Postby Rockindeano » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:22 am

Funny Svante, when you say you didn't know Elson personally, I took a cred hit..understandably so. I totally mispoke, but o well.

Now, when you offer something of a thorn in their side, you are suddenly questioned.

They see things their way only.

THEY are the ones going off the deep end, not me.
Rockindeano
Forever Deano

Postby LAWoman » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:26 am

Rockn'deano wrote:Funny Svante, when you say you didn't know Elson personally, I took a cred hit..understandably so. I totally mispoke, but o well.

Now, when you offer something of a thorn in their side, you are suddenly questioned.

They see things their way only.

THEY are the ones going off the deep end, not me.

I'm sorry Dean, but Svante does not seem like he has an agenda and you do because you have asserted it. Anyone who does not agree with you gets cursed. Hence, Svante has some credibility. I can't speak for anyone else, but I am interested in what he has to say, therefore, a question.
LAWoman
45 RPM

Postby Monker » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:56 am

I'm sorry Dean, but Svante does not seem like he has an agenda and you do because you have asserted it. Anyone who does not agree with you gets cursed. Hence, Svante has some credibility. I can't speak for anyone else, but I am interested in what he has to say, therefore, a question.

Exactly, and again we are looking at more opinion and speculation with no real hard facts. The only thing he has verified is that Journey uses tapes - WHICH WE ALREADY KNOW.

This has really become a "Grassy Knoll" thing. Somebody believes there's a second gun so they go about trying to prove it with more opinion then directly related facts. That's not how things work. Show me a second weapon, show me a bullet or shell casing that differs from the others. Give me a credible statment from someone directly related to the second gunman. Give me a confession. None of this has happened for either JFK, and none of this is happening here. It's ALL speculation and opinion.
Monker
MP3

Postby Sundet » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:14 am

swepett wrote:

Come to think of it, I DO remember this incident! And I remember wondering why on earth he would stand with his back to the audience for so long. Never suspected him of, err, singing along though :). Oh, and to Svante's defense: Deen was NOT singing when Mr. Augeri had his back to the audience - it surely was Mr. Augeri's voice coming out of the PA.
Last edited by Sundet on Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sundet
Ol' 78

Postby Red13JoePa » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:18 am

Monker wrote:
What I know is that Steve Augeri's vocals sounded different in our truck and in the speakers out front. You can call me an idiot but I know what I heard. And now Andrew has said that the band uses backup tapes and in the "Definitive proof" thread, Tommy Denander has said he kow from "sources close to the band" that tapes are used.

Everyone is free to believe what they want.

I don't see people denying they 'use tapes'. I see people not willing to take the leap from using tapes to enhance the live sound...which Journey has been doing FOREVER...to saying Augeri is lip-synching.

Yes.
Andrew's item also debunked the synching allegation:
"The allegations have been misreported somewhat, with the term lip-synching used in most cases. What needs to be clarified is the fact that the allegation is that while Steve has been singing, the band have been using backing tapes to enhance..."

Steve is singing. Augementation is apparently deployed at some points but that is a nonissue to me.
Last edited by Red13JoePa on Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby swepett » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:28 am

Sundet wrote:
Come to think of it, I DO remember this incident! And I remember wondering why on earth he would stand with his back to the audience for so long. Never suspected him of, err, singing along though :). Oh, and to Svante's defense: Deen was NOT singing when Mr. Augeri had his back to the audience - it surely was Mr. Augeri's voice coming out of the PA.

Thank you! Although I am sure about what I saw and heard, sometimes reading these threads I can think I am going insane and was dreaming. :)
swepett
Ol' 78

Postby NealIsGod » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:36 am

Red13JoePa wrote:Andrew's item also debunked the synching allegation:
"The allegations have been misreported somewhat, with the term lip-synching used in most cases. What needs to be clarified is the fact that the allegation is that while Steve has been singing, the band have been using backing tapes to enhance..."

Steve's singing. Augementation is apparently deployed at some points but that is a nonissue to me.

Yes. It's a shame they have to do that, but if it helps save Steve's voice and prevents cancellation of shows, then what is the harm? I don't think people appreciate how hard the Journey catalog is to sing and the effects it has on the human voice. If they toured once every two years, they probably wouldn't need any tapes. But the money is on the road, not in the studio, so the band tours A LOT.
NealIsGod
MP3

Postby Red13JoePa » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:42 am

Agreed, Take a year off from the road after this year.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby swepett » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:54 am

NealIsGod wrote:Yes. It's a shame they have to do that, but if it helps save Steve's voice and prevents cancellation of shows, then what is the harm?

But the voice we heard in the truck was not of a guy taking it easy to spare his voice. That's one of the things that was so weird about the whole thing. Steve was singing his lungs out and sounded very rough. It's not easy to get better if you sing like that night after night. And since the tape is there, he wouldn't have to push himself so hard.

As I have been trying to say elsewhere, this behaviour really raises more questions than it explains stuff.
swepett
Ol' 78

Postby tammy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:05 am

swepett wrote:
NealIsGod wrote:Yes. It's a shame they have to do that, but if it helps save Steve's voice and prevents cancellation of shows, then what is the harm?

But the voice we heard in the truck was not of a guy taking it easy to spare his voice. That's one of the things that was so weird about the whole thing. Steve was singing his lungs out and sounded very rough. It's not easy to get better if you sing like that night after night. And since the tape is there, he wouldn't have to push himself so hard.

As I have been trying to say elsewhere, this behaviour really raises more questions than it explains stuff.

You are Svante Petterson, then? (sorry I couldn't find an intro post). I'm just trying to understand this. Augeri's voice in the mic is being turned off, so the PA voice to the audience is loud & clear & smooth?
This might explain something for me that I questioned in my mind when I was at two Journey concerts last year.

thanks.
tammy
Cassette Tape

Postby Marabelle » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:07 am

does all of this mean that journey needs to drop steve augeri if indeed he cannot sing and get another singer?
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby LAWoman » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:10 am

swepett wrote:

Now I'm confused. You don't seem to have an agenda and I don't mean this as a challenge to your report. But given what you are saying, I'm just curious as to what's your theory of what is going on? Why would SA be singing all out if there is a tape playing and he knew nobody was hearing him? If he sounds that rough, wouldn't he be afraid someone would hear him?
LAWoman
45 RPM

Postby swepett » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:15 am

silverblue wrote:You are Svante Petterson, then? (sorry I couldn't find an intro post).

Yes, I am Svante. I'm sorry I didn't introduce me somewhere if that is common pratice.

silverblue wrote: I'm just trying to understand this. Augeri's voice in the mic is being turned off, so the PA voice to the audience is loud & clear & smooth?

Yes, that's basically it. Some people say I have no proof but I have told my story elsewhere. I understand it's not popular to repeat oneself here. :) (Well, it's not popular in any forum.)

silverblue wrote:This might explain something for me that I questioned in my mind when I was at two Journey concerts last year.
thanks.

What did you experience?
swepett
Ol' 78

Postby heardonthestreet » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:18 am

LAWoman wrote:
swepett wrote:

Now I'm confused. You don't seem to have an agenda and I don't mean this as a challenge to your report. But given what you are saying, I'm

just curious as to what's your theory of what is going on? Why would SA be singing all out if there is a tape playing and he knew nobody was hearing him? If he sounds that rough, wouldn't he be afraid someone would hear him?

I remember that you posted before that you couldn't hear him anyway because of Neals guitar. That may be a reason and maybe his mic was off. Two good reasons.
heardonthestreet
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfaithful » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:22 am

heardonthestreet wrote:I remember that you posted before that you couldn't hear him anyway because of Neals guitar. That may be a reason and maybe his mic was off. Two good reasons.

I have not been to a show in three years but that was my complaint back then. I could not hear Augeri sing. Instrumental too loud. Very frustrating. Now I am looking at this in a whole different light!!
"In Journey, all the hit songs we had were based around Steve Perry's vocals."

Neal Schon
perryfaithful
Cassette Tape

Postby swepett » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:34 am

LAWoman wrote:Now I'm confused. You don't seem to have an agenda and I don't mean this as a challenge to your report. But given what you are saying, I'm just curious as to what's your theory of what is going on? Why would SA be singing all out if there is a tape playing and he knew nobody was hearing him? If he sounds that rough, wouldn't he be afraid someone would hear him?

Yes, that is what I am saying, this raises so many questions! I wonder the same as you do, and as I said. I also wonder how the talk is on the bus each night after the show? And how Elson couldn't figure out that a bunch of professional radio people in a recording truck would notice the difference? It is all very confusing.
swepett
Ol' 78

Previous

Return to Journey