Jason Kelty and Escape are back and Welcome to a new member.

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby Saint John » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:09 pm

eclipse wrote:
Saint John wrote:LOL...I just went over to the Eclipse site and it says "Separate Ways...not Jason, Blue Collar Man...not Jason, Carry On...not Jason either." I got a good chuckle out of this. :lol:

Just wanted to be sure that you all realized that it's not him. I figured that was the best way (along with the disclaimer after his name).
*I* knew immediately that it wasn't him. That guy does a helluva Tommy Shaw, though. 8)
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby eclipse » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:21 pm

Websites for each project are under construction. For now, there is always MySpace. Please see the pages below (and send a friend add if you'd like.....)

http://www.myspace.com/escapejourneytribute

http://www.myspace.com/grandillusionrocks

http://www.myspace.com/liveeclipse
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby texafana » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Put that "loving you" track on your myspace page, that's much more "Steve P" like. Looking forward to seeing you guys live!
texafana
Cassette Tape

Postby eclipse » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:47 pm

texafana wrote:Put that "loving you" track on your myspace page, that's much more "Steve P" like. Looking forward to seeing you guys live!

I'll discuss that with Jason at practice tonight, since that was him but none of the rest of us. If he's cool with it, I'll do it.
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby eclipse » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:49 pm

If you guys have links to any of those tunes, please send them to me. :)
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:37 am

Here is the link to Loving You.. The old Escape site is still up !! A webpage from 99 still running.. Wow.. Boy his voice got WAY more Perry later. He mastered the material. How long were you guys together at the time of those old demos ?

http://members.core.com/~e5c4p3/LovinYou.mp3
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:40 am

I would bet that Jason has some recordings himself. Why dont you see if he will post them up ? Even though the current line up isnt on them it would still help build momentum when they hear what the vocals are going to sound like.
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby Saint John » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:44 am

I shared the 6 clips LD posted from the old Escape band and people were stunned. They said Jason is the closest to Perry they had ever heard. I think he's actually more powerful than Perry at times. DSB is a good example.
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby eclipse » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:49 am

Yeah, I agree. Funny, even on the old crappy Open Arms demo, I would listen to it and think, "Damn, he sounds more like Steve than Steve". lol

I am going to see him this evening and bring him up to speed on all this. If he is down with it, we will gather all the clips and see what we think is most representative. Until we get new stuff, anyway.

We will probably videotape our 12/12 show becacuse it is at a cool venue for that sort of thing. Then we can post some of that.
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:18 am

Awesome Eclipse. I bet Jason is going to be surprised that you guys are already getting a bit of a fan base and you have only just begun.
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby eclipse » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:42 am

Yeah. Despite his talent, Jason is very modest. I knew that there was still a buzz out there, but don't know if I expected quite this much. He does deserve it, though.

Now if we could just generate half the interest in our Styx tribute as this.....

LMAO!
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:49 am

Styx is a great band however in the eyes of many Journey's music has become more...... Timeless ? The resurgence of their music in the public eye with the sopranos to start. Last night DSB was on Shrek the halls !! There hasnt been a better time to do a Journey tribute in my opinion. Back when I saw Escape Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam were the top so it was not the best time. Now people are more nostalgic. Fact is that Journey's music has transcended to a level few bands have achieved.

This puts them with,

The Beatles, The Stones etc.. Some might call blasphemy on a Beatles comparison however my point here is that somehow the music has become fresh again. I have seen teenagers blasting Journey in their cars this past summer. I was like WTF !?!?! Felt like I was in a time warp for a minute...
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby eclipse » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:54 am

Liquid_Drummer wrote:Styx is a great band however in the eyes of many Journey's music has become more...... Timeless ? The resurgence of their music in the public eye with the sopranos to start. Last night DSB was on Shrek the halls !! There hasnt been a better time to do a Journey tribute in my opinion. Back when I saw Escape Nirvana, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam were the top so it was not the best time. Now people are more nostalgic. Fact is that Journey's music has transcended to a level few bands have achieved.

This puts them with,

The Beatles, The Stones etc.. Some might call blasphemy on a Beatles comparison however my point here is that somehow the music has become fresh again. I have seen teenagers blasting Journey in their cars this past summer. I was like WTF !?!?! Felt like I was in a time warp for a minute...

I have to agree with you there. And it's so funny, because when we started Escape, all the guys that I knew made fun of me. You know, the old "Journey - what a bunch of fags" crap. And then they realized that just about every female on the planet loved them and started showing up at our gigs. Then the guys followed. lol

And the "Journey crowd" doesn't seem to have aged like some of the other tribute followings. Is there a connection between Journey and hot women fans? I think that we need to conduct a survey. Volunteers? :D
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:13 am

Somehow Journey's music aged like fine wine. Who would have known that opening that vintage bottle in 2008 would taste so good.
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby eclipse » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:16 am

Liquid_Drummer wrote:Somehow Journey's music aged like fine wine. Who would have known that opening that vintage bottle in 2008 would taste so good.

You know, all you have to do is take a listen to what else is out there today. It's all corporate rock or thug life, and not a whole lot in between. Nobody cares. Well, except people like us......
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:55 am

I guess you probably wonder why I am such a fan of Escape and Jason. Wanting clips and vids of him singing etc. It has been a little search that I have undertaken over the last couple of years which yielded a vhs with crappy sound and the Loving you clip..

Escape is the reason I became a Journey fan period. I knew who Journey was of course but all I had heard was the hits. While I liked them I foolishly assumed that those songs were the best songs and never looked any deeper and only owned the greatest hits album.

Then I saw Escape. I heard many songs for the 1st time at those shows and found myself time and time again saying. Oh man, that was awesome, ok that was awesome, OK damn it im going to go by some tapes.. Hehe tapes...

So I went and purchased Escape and evolution used and that was all she wrote. I listened to each tape constantly for I dont know how long. It took the place of grunge for me and whatever was on big on the charts around that time. Escape also showed me that the deep cuts are where the real music is. The stuff on the radio is only the tip of the iceberg and Journeys deep cuts are the best cuts and without hearing Escape live I may have never dug any deeper. I have Escape and Jason to thank for the introduction to JOurney which is my favorite band.
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby eclipse » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:00 pm

Liquid_Drummer wrote:I guess you probably wonder why I am such a fan of Escape and Jason. Wanting clips and vids of him singing etc. It has been a little search that I have undertaken over the last couple of years which yielded a vhs with crappy sound and the Loving you clip..

Escape is the reason I became a Journey fan period. I knew who Journey was of course but all I had heard was the hits. While I liked them I foolishly assumed that those songs were the best songs and never looked any deeper and only owned the greatest hits album.

Then I saw Escape. I heard many songs for the 1st time at those shows and found myself time and time again saying. Oh man, that was awesome, ok that was awesome, OK damn it im going to go by some tapes.. Hehe tapes...

So I went and purchased Escape and evolution used and that was all she wrote. I listened to each tape constantly for I dont know how long. It took the place of grunge for me and whatever was on big on the charts around that time. Escape also showed me that the deep cuts are where the real music is. The stuff on the radio is only the tip of the iceberg and Journeys deep cuts are the best cuts and without hearing Escape live I may have never dug any deeper. I have Escape and Jason to thank for the introduction to JOurney which is my favorite band.

That's really cool, LD. I posted this on a Styx blog here, but it's tricky when constructing a show to pick the right songs, especially when you only do about 25 - 30 songs. There are the hits that everyone has to hear. Can you imagine a Journey show without Open Arms or Separate Ways? Of course not. But we want to select songs that the "true" Journey fans will know as well. So it's a fine line. My goal 15 years ago is that we would know every Journey song in the catalog (once Steve came along, that is), but now with all the "after-Steve" projects, that won't happen. But having enough sings that we aren't doing the same show every time people come to se us.

Again, we will probably only be doing this show once or twice a month, in addition to our other projects. Jason doesn't want to be a full-time Journey tribute, as he enjoys doing the other stuff as well. So we feel that we have a good, healthy mix. We all have jobs, so music is our hobby, not our life. And since we have 3 bands, it's not all about Escape (although personally that part is my favorite). Our Styx tribute is great as well, and even our "cover band" is tops in the area. So it's all good. Well, except for the fact that I don't sleep much these days! ROFL!
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby chica » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:41 pm

AWESOME Eclipse!!! ... I heard the clips, and you guys sound AMAZING! :wink: Too bad I live sooo far away...
* chica Hope *
chica
Ol' 78

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:12 pm

Yea, I can understand that doing all Journey all the time would get old and why limit yourself. I have to say I have never heard Jason sing anything but Journey so should be interesting.
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby eclipse » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:22 pm

Liquid_Drummer wrote:Yea, I can understand that doing all Journey all the time would get old and why limit yourself. I have to say I have never heard Jason sing anything but Journey so should be interesting.

After Escape, he played in some local cover bands, including Breakfast Club and Cocktones, which covered a variety of 80's stuff, similar to what we do in Eclipse (although we have some 70's stuff thown in, too), so this won't be his first venture off the "Journey path". The nice thing about Jason is that he is not just a singer with a golden voice, he is a musician. He plays drums, keys, bass, and guitar, and can pick out harmonies like nobody's business, which helps make our whole band better. Eclipse was a good band before, but now that he is in the group, it is pretty amazing. 8)
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby Saint John » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:27 pm

When I heard that Jason hadn't performed publicly in about 10 years I thought "Man, this guy is taking being Steve Perry way too seriously." :lol:
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby eclipse » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:28 pm

Saint John wrote:When I heard that Jason hadn't performed publicly in about 10 years I thought "Man, this guy is taking being Steve Perry way too seriously." :lol:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:52 pm

Saint John wrote:When I heard that Jason hadn't performed publicly in about 10 years I thought "Man, this guy is taking being Steve Perry way too seriously." :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rick
Super Audio CD

Tribute Tunes

Postby eclipse » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:59 am

We are in the process of creating our "wish list" for the tunes we are going to incorporate into our shows. Interested to hear from you what you would like to hear if you went to see a Journey show. Some tunes are a given, but we are going to mix it up with fan faves (I mentioned some in a post yesterday).

Thoughts? Opinions?
eclipse
Ol' 78

Re: Tribute Tunes

Postby Saint John » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:03 am

eclipse wrote:We are in the process of creating our "wish list" for the tunes we are going to incorporate into our shows. Interested to hear from you what you would like to hear if you went to see a Journey show. Some tunes are a given, but we are going to mix it up with fan faves (I mentioned some in a post yesterday).

Thoughts? Opinions?

Mother, Father
Still They Ride
After The Fall
Never Walk Away (cool new song...any of the Eclipse guys dig it or any of the new tunes?)
Captured By The Moment
Strungout (since I'm in Deb's dog house :lol: )
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:17 am

People and Places and Patiently would be very awesome. Patiently should be a staple as it is the 1st song Perry and Schon wrote together.
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby finalfight » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:39 am

Hopelessly in Love/Party's over
Anything from Raised on Radio
Turn Down the World Tonight
finalfight

Postby slucero » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:14 am

Sweet & Simple!

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Michigan Girl » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:19 am

slucero wrote:Sweet & Simple!

:wink:
Michigan Girl
MP3

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:34 am

Michigan Girl wrote:
slucero wrote:Sweet & Simple!

:wink:

I would not be surprised at all if Jason could hit that high note near the end.. Man that one is a mother or a note to hit and somehow Perry managed to put vibrato on it. Insane.......
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Journey