Jason Kelty and Escape are back and Welcome to a new member.

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby Ehwmatt » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:36 am

Liquid_Drummer wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:
slucero wrote:Sweet & Simple!

:wink:

I would not be surprised at all if Jason could hit that high note near the end.. Man that one is a mother or a note to hit and somehow Perry managed to put vibrato on it. Insane.......

In the studio at least... I still haven't found one person who has heard of/seen/heard them do this live, ever. A shame, such a great song. A far better midtempo "ballad-rocker" than songs like Lights...
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:42 am

I think Natural Thing is another Perry masterpiece. That should have went on an LP for sure...
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby eclipse » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:04 am

Liquid_Drummer wrote:I think Natural Thing is another Perry masterpiece. That should have went on an LP for sure...

We didn't do Natural Thing or Sweet and Simple, but I think we did all the others mentioned so far. Not to say that we won't do those in the future. It's really Jason's call. :)
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby RedWingFan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:13 pm

eclipse wrote:
Liquid_Drummer wrote:I think Natural Thing is another Perry masterpiece. That should have went on an LP for sure...

We didn't do Natural Thing or Sweet and Simple, but I think we did all the others mentioned so far. Not to say that we won't do those in the future. It's really Jason's call. :)

Wow. The two demo's you just posted were GREAT. Any chance of you guys playing up here in Michigan??? Ever since I heard the "Lovin' You" clip I've been wanting to check out Escape live.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby eclipse » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:24 pm

RedWingFan wrote:
eclipse wrote:

Wow. The two demo's you just posted were GREAT. Any chance of you guys playing up here in Michigan??? Ever since I heard the "Lovin' You" clip I've been wanting to check out Escape live.

We have discussed traveling within a 5 hour radius, so it depends on where in Michigan you are (and our ability to find the right venue). :)
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:27 pm

Ehwmatt wrote:
Liquid_Drummer wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:

I would not be surprised at all if Jason could hit that high note near the end.. Man that one is a mother or a note to hit and somehow Perry managed to put vibrato on it. Insane.......

In the studio at least... I still haven't found one person who has heard of/seen/heard them do this live, ever. A shame, such a great song. A far better midtempo "ballad-rocker" than songs like Lights...

Well Perry hits that same note on the Houston 80 show during La do da on the my, my, my part and holds it 3 times as long with vibrato. That was live man !! Freak of nature.
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby eclipse » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:33 pm

Liquid_Drummer wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Liquid_Drummer wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:

Well Perry hits that same note on the Houston 80 show during La do da on the my, my, my part and holds it 3 times as long with vibrato. That was live man !! Freak of nature.

True. It's not always the note, though. Sometimes it is the context. There are some songs that I can't hit all the notes on that are lower than some songs that I can hit notes on. Depends on the phrasing, lyrics, and tempo. Not that I can sing ANY Steve Perry. lol
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby Don » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:55 am

Liquid_Drummer wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Liquid_Drummer wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:

But could he do it every night live, that's the question. Like singing Lay It Down, you're going to have a few crazy, "How did he do that? " moments but they are the exceptions rather than the norm. Freak yes, but more on a part time basis, if he had his druthers, I'm sure.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Ehwmatt » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:57 am

Liquid_Drummer wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Liquid_Drummer wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:

I'll have to go listen. Never been big on that song. I don't doubt he could pull it off live, but there has to be some reason they didn't ever try the song out live. Perhaps the consistency night to night, as suggested above. It's a great song, catchy, a great Neal solo, great acapella bridge etc.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby eclipse » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:01 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
Liquid_Drummer wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:
Liquid_Drummer wrote:
Michigan Girl wrote:

I'll have to go listen. Never been big on that song. I don't doubt he could pull it off live, but there has to be some reason they didn't ever try the song out live. Perhaps the consistency night to night, as suggested above. It's a great song, catchy, a great Neal solo, great acapella bridge etc.

Maybe that was part of Steve's "burnout factor". Since we won't be doing 100 shows a year, and not doing the same songs at every show, that should make life easier on the vocal cords. One would hope. lol
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

IT is a lot to ask of any singer to cover Journey. Its another to ask them to hit one of Steve Perry's highest recorded notes.

Live...

Thing is that Jason would improve his own thing from time to time live with stuff that wasnt far from these high notes. He probably could do it. I am getting more and more curious to hear the band doing other songs. I have never heard Jason sing anything but Journey.
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby eclipse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:33 pm

Good news to those of you making the trip to Cleveland this coming weekend to see Jason (and the rest of us). No Snow!!!!! At least not as of right now.

Temps will even be in the 40's. Not so much different than Chicago. :)
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:31 am

Man I wish I could make it. Someone please try to get a recording of this show if possible. Any plans to record this show Paul ?
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby eclipse » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:38 am

Liquid_Drummer wrote:Man I wish I could make it. Someone please try to get a recording of this show if possible. Any plans to record this show Paul ?

We may try to record the show Friday. It is at a bigger club with house sound and cool lights. I recorded some stuff this past weekend, but the sound guy at that place wasn't as good, so there was too much low end and everything is "boomy". Jason's mic wasn't loud enough in the mix, either. I have more faith in the guy at the Sly Fox. :)
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:43 am

How did the show go ?
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby eclipse » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:47 am

Liquid_Drummer wrote:How did the show go ?

It went well. Of course, the snow/ice storm that we had Saturday afternoon scared some people away. You'll have that in Northeast Ohio with our 6 months of winter, though. lol

Looking for better weather and bigger crowds this weekend.
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby Liquid_Drummer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:36 am

At least you guys get snow. All it ever does here in the winter is tease you with flurries before they change to rain... If it is going to be cold I would prefer snow. Love the stuff.
Liquid_Drummer
Cassette Tape

Postby eclipse » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:38 am

Liquid_Drummer wrote:At least you guys get snow. All it ever does here in the winter is tease you with flurries before they change to rain... If it is going to be cold I would prefer snow. Love the stuff.

Snow is better than the freezing rain that we get. You are right, if it is going to be this cold, snow is the lesser of two evils. Just amazing, though, that peopl who have to drive in the stuff from October until April forget how every frickin' year! :shock:
eclipse
Ol' 78

Postby texafana » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:19 am

Looking forward to seeing the new lineup. If you guys make it to Texas, PM me and I can help hook you up at some of the better clubs around Dallas. ;)
texafana
Cassette Tape

Postby Saint John » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:33 am

eclipse wrote:
I'll be there with a buddy Friday and Saturday.
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby Ehwmatt » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:37 am

Liquid_Drummer wrote:IT is a lot to ask of any singer to cover Journey. Its another to ask them to hit one of Steve Perry's highest recorded notes.

Live...

Thing is that Jason would improve his own thing from time to time live with stuff that wasnt far from these high notes. He probably could do it. I am getting more and more curious to hear the band doing other songs. I have never heard Jason sing anything but Journey.

Honestly, I wouldn't care about the high note if someone did Sweet and Simple. I'd just want the essence of the song to be there, so the harmonies would have to be there, but one moment of vocal acrobatics does not make or break the song for me. It's a great song without it.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Don » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:58 am

Saint John wrote:
eclipse wrote:

Can you provide us with a review? Even if they can't come to California, I'm interested in how they perform. Jeremey's work has slowly turned me around in regard to tribute bands.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby Saint John » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:14 am

Gunbot wrote:
Saint John wrote:
eclipse wrote:

Can you provide us with a review? Even if they can't come to California, I'm interested in how they perform. Jeremey's work has slowly turned me around in regard to tribute bands.
I'll do at least that. I'm working on getting a camcorder to record at least some of the show. Most likely the Journey songs. The famous youtube recording of Hunsicker and Soto doing Just The Same Way was done by the buddy I'm going to the show with this weekend.
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:16 am

Saint John wrote:
Gunbot wrote:
Saint John wrote:
eclipse wrote:

I'll do at least that. I'm working on getting a camcorder to record at least some of the show. Most likely the Journey songs. The famous youtube recording of Hunsicker and Soto doing Just The Same Way was done by the buddy I'm going to the show with this weekend.

:D :D :D
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby texafana » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:12 pm

Jason probably feels like he's under a microscope now. Performing for a bunch of drunken locals is one thing, but now he faces the prospects of being recorded in the present (and compared to his past) and being blasted on youtube for the looney bin to dissect every detail of his performance. :) :) :)

And ofcourse we'll compare him to other Journey tribute singers as well. ;)
texafana
Cassette Tape

Postby eclipse » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:21 pm

texafana wrote:Jason probably feels like he's under a microscope now. Performing for a bunch of drunken locals is one thing, but now he faces the prospects of being recorded in the present (and compared to his past) and being blasted on youtube for the looney bin to dissect every detail of his performance. :) :) :)

And ofcourse we'll compare him to other Journey tribute singers as well. ;)

Yeah, I kind of mentioned that too him. Jason isn't like most singers that I know. He is actually very humble, and almost embarrassed that he sounds "Steve-ish". Of course, he did this for years, and it's kind of like riding a bike, at least for him.

Hopefully the rest of us will hold up our end of the deal, since we have only practiced with him once. We will probably do about 8 Journey songs or so throughout the course of the night. And so far, he sounds as good to me now as when I was on stage with him 15 years ago. I am really looking forward to learning the "outside tunes" that make a tribute great. We have booked a few tribute shows for next year so far, and anticipate more. There are a number of local Journey tributes, but none with Jason. Frontiers does come to town a couple times a year, and they are the only one worth seeing around here. Well, in addition to us. lol
eclipse
Ol' 78

Eclispe this weekend

Postby eclipse » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:12 am

Once again, for all you Journey fans within shouting distance of northeast Ohio, Eclipse featuring lead vocalist Jason Kelty (formerly of Escape) will be playing in Cleveland at Sly Fox on Friday night and in Akron at Vicki's on Saturday night. The play list will include numerous Journey tunes, as well as songs from their Styx tribute, Grand Illusion. Come and check it out!
eclipse
Ol' 78

Re: Eclispe this weekend

Postby Saint John » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:25 am

eclipse wrote:Once again, for all you Journey fans within shouting distance of northeast Ohio, Eclipse featuring lead vocalist Jason Kelty (formerly of Escape) will be playing in Cleveland at Sly Fox on Friday night and in Akron at Vicki's on Saturday night. The play list will include numerous Journey tunes, as well as songs from their Styx tribute, Grand Illusion. Come and check it out!
Making final plans and going for sure. Meeting another member or two of this board there as well. :D Can't wait.
Saint John
Super Audio CD

Postby RedWingFan » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Saint John wrote:
eclipse wrote:Once again, for all you Journey fans within shouting distance of northeast Ohio, Eclipse featuring lead vocalist Jason Kelty (formerly of Escape) will be playing in Cleveland at Sly Fox on Friday night and in Akron at Vicki's on Saturday night. The play list will include numerous Journey tunes, as well as songs from their Styx tribute, Grand Illusion. Come and check it out!
Making final plans and going for sure. Meeting another member or two of this board there as well. :D Can't wait.

Any chance of you swinging up near the Flint area to pick a brutha up???? :D
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Saint John » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:08 pm

RedWingFan wrote:
Saint John wrote:

Any chance of you swinging up near the Flint area to pick a brutha up???? :D
Flint?!?! Who am I picking up...Glenn Rice and Mateen Cleaves on the north side? :lol: :twisted: :wink:
Saint John
Super Audio CD

PreviousNext

Return to Journey