Time for Cain/Perry

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby Don » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:39 pm

ebake02 wrote:I used to think that if Neal left then Journey was toast but opinion has changed as of lately. I'm starting to see that Cain is the real anchor in the band, without him you have no songwriting or no music writing either for that matter.

Neal would never leave Journey. If anything, he would dissolve it as he threatened to do when Cain voiced apprehension about bringing Pineda onboard.
Last edited by Don on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby koberry » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:15 am

Don wrote:
koberry wrote:Neal is a rock dog - why do you expect him to be something other than he is? This guy's been living the rock star life since touring with Santana at age 15. You wouldn't let your kids look up to some thug basketball player as a role model. So why would you hold Neal to a higher standard. The dude's an amazing, creative artist. Stop expecting so much from any of these guys and just enjoy the music and their talents for what they are.

You know what though, Journey made their own bed in that regard a few years ago. When Arnel came on board, it was all about becoming a family oriented band and attracting the younger generation. Neal was allegedly on the wagon, Deen was off of drugs and Arnel was making them all better people, a tight knit family (or so it seemed).

In all honesty though, the guy doesn't like much of a rockdog in the recent interviews with Michaele. As was mentioned already, Neal looks like a chump who can only speak when given the green light by Salahi. In her presence, dude appears neutered big time.

That's because the dude doesn't even have a high school education. Better for him that he lets his fingers do the talking... on the strings of his guitar, I mean...
koberry
45 RPM

Postby Seven Wishes2 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:01 pm

koberry wrote:Neal is a rock dog - why do you expect him to be something other than he is? This guy's been living the rock star life since touring with Santana at age 15. You wouldn't let your kids look up to some thug basketball player as a role model. So why would you hold Neal to a higher standard. The dude's an amazing, creative artist. Stop expecting so much from any of these guys and just enjoy the music and their talents for what they are.

Hallejulah. I couldn't agree more.

Enjoy it while you can. The ride will be over soon, and we'll still be here bitching, saying, "Damn...I wish Journey hadn't called it a career".

Before the internet, nobody knew about anyone's dirty laundry, and the world was a better place because of it. I personally couldn't give a fuck what Schon does with his John Thomas. As long as Journey's around, I'm going to buy all the records, and go to the shows.

Same goes for Van Halen, Boston (even its current state), Night Ranger, Loverboy, Springsteen, Bryan Adams, and so on...even Def Leppard. The odds of ANY of these great bands still recording and touring in 2022 is remote at best.

Live it up while you can.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe."
---Albert Einstein
Seven Wishes2
Cassette Tape

Postby Don » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 pm

At this point, why do we really care if Journey calls it a career? It's not like our old Journey CDs are going to explode into a million pieces. It's got to end sometime (2017, according to Arnel).
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby onmyjrny » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:14 pm

Don wrote:At this point, why do we really care if Journey calls it a career? It's not like our old Journey CDs are going to explode into a million pieces. It's got to end sometime (2017, according to Arnel).

Huh? When did he announce this?
onmyjrny
45 RPM

Postby koberry » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Don wrote:At this point, why do we really care if Journey calls it a career? It's not like our old Journey CDs are going to explode into a million pieces. It's got to end sometime (2017, according to Arnel).

Call me crazy, but I love Eclipse. As long as they're creating, I'm listening.
koberry
45 RPM

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:57 am

koberry wrote:

YES! If they make new music they get my support.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:58 am

Seven Wishes wrote:
Enjoy it while you can.

A motto to live by indeed.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Don » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:51 am

Eric wrote:
koberry wrote:

YES! If they make new music they get my support.

Not knocking that at all, I will probably buy their next release too, provided it isn't a disc of covers. When the end comes though, I don't see the need to bitch at the band and question why they aren't continuing on. We've got close to a hundred songs from the group that I for one am very satisfied with. They were a shining light in my adolescence and I have those memories to cherish but it will be no sweat off my back if they call it a day tomorrow.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby hoagiepete » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:50 am

Seven Wishes wrote:

Enjoy it while you can. The ride will be over soon, and we'll still be here bitching, saying, "Damn...I wish Journey hadn't called it a career".

Before the internet, nobody knew about anyone's dirty laundry, and the world was a better place because of it. I personally couldn't give a fuck what Schon does with his John Thomas. As long as Journey's around, I'm going to buy all the records, and go to the shows.

Same goes for Van Halen, Boston (even its current state), Night Ranger, Loverboy, Springsteen, Bryan Adams, and so on...even Def Leppard. The odds of ANY of these great bands still recording and touring in 2022 is remote at best.

Love agreeing with Seven Wishes! Nails it here.
hoagiepete
Cassette Tape

Postby Jana » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:27 am

I just wish they would tour next time with a two-hour show. Use Deen for a few songs. I am sick of the same GHs and not much else. Last year, with Foreigner doing a solid. energetic GH show right before they came on ended up with Journey changing their setlist to all GH to compete with Foreigner's show and energy. It was shocking to end up with one new song and none off Revelation. In the past they did three and four new songs. I would like to see them tour with Heart only. Heart for an hour and Journey for two hours and really get to hear Journey's great catalogue of music. Plus, I would love Gregg Rolie on tour with them.

None of the above will happen, though.
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby G.I.Jim » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:43 am

koberry wrote:

CRAZY! :D
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby Gideon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:12 am

G.I.Jim wrote:
koberry wrote:

:D

Eclipse has some major staying power for me. Resonate has supplanted Change For the Better as the definitive song from the Pineda-era. It's in my top 3, along with Higher Place and the king, If He Should Break Your Heart.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby marco17 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:53 am

If his voice is in good enough shape to do something in the future, I could see Cain and Perry getting together if they could put the Journey thing behind them. That being said, I don't think Cain would work with any former singer of the band (assuming he wants to), especially Perry, until Journey is put to bed. Neal would probably feel betrayed.
Last edited by marco17 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
marco17
8 Track

Postby G.I.Jim » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:20 am

Gideon wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:
koberry wrote:

Eclipse has some major staying power for me. Resonate has supplanted Change For the Better as the definitive song from the Pineda-era. It's in my top 3, along with Higher Place and the king, If He Should Break Your Heart.

That's because you're young and don't know any better. :lol: :lol:
The artist formerly known as Jim. :-)
G.I.Jim
MP3

Postby SF-Dano » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:42 am

Seven Wishes wrote:

Yup! Agree with both of you.
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:05 am

G.I.Jim wrote:
Gideon wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:
koberry wrote:

That's because you're young and don't know any better. :lol: :lol:

Keep it up and I'll call the nursing home and have your attendant take away your computer privileges! :lol:
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Re: Time for Cain/Perry

Postby Kor'n » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:58 pm

yandtguy wrote:With Journey derailing, I think it's time for Cain to make the call to Perry, do whatever it takes to patch things up, and help him finish the material Perry has been working on for years. I know that Cain and Neal have been closer partners over the years (Journey, Bad English, appearances of each their respective solo albums), but Journey is turning into a joke. A new Perry album, with Cain's inolvement, would at least bring some positive PR to the Journey camp. When TMZ becomes the main source of information for your band, you know you're turning into a joke. Jump ship, Cain, and let the current Journey ship sink. Then, just maybe, it can be rebuilt bigger and better in a couple of years. Neal has always been my favorite Journey member up until this year. Now, it's becomming even more clear why Journey has been so dysfunctional over the years. Everybody must have been covering for Neal's sorry self.

Greg

Eric wrote:Derailing? With new music and big tours? I wanted them to patch it up when JSS was un-ceremonially released because they looked like they were directionless then. But they are a successful and active band right now.

I see you still living in that "20kish" "Darien Lake" fantasy.
Kor'n
45 RPM

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:12 am

I don't think it is unrealistic at all to believe Cain would help Perry out with his material if Perry asked him to. I think Cain would be honored to work with Steve Perry again. It would be Perry's solo material, and it would not be Cain's main source of income (assuming Journey would still be active if and when a Perry album drops) so there's no pressure on either side to tour behind it (besides pressure from Perry's fans) and their relationship would be mostly one of a creative, musical relationship.

On a side note, I would LOVE to have Lincoln Brewster collaborate with Perry again, but Brewster is a pretty successful Christian artist now, and I don't know if he'd collaborate on a secular album at this point, but don't hate on Lincoln too much, he writes some very good material.
“Do or do not... there is no try.”
Yoda
8 Track

Postby artist4perry » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:58 am

Most of the stuff with Neal and his new girl will go by the way side in time...personally it makes me yawn already. Neal has never been known as the Faithfully guy. More of the Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll guy...remaining that reckless 15 year old who joined Santana many years before.

Honestly if it were NOT this woman who has been plastered all over the news would it really matter to us? Probably not. She has just been more publicly irritating than any of his former girls. Most were low profile ladies.

I don't see it bothering the bands sales and all. I am sure Cain is used to Neal's love em and leave em policies. It is not a new thing at all. It is just the first time it has been on the tabloid TV headlines for all to see. Once the divorce is finalized Tareq or whatever the heck his name is will be yesterdays news and life will go on. TMZ is ADHD when it comes to news. Next scandal and they will forget Neal all together.
artist4perry
MP3

Location: Running around in the vast universe that is my imagination. Send help!

Postby Red13JoePa » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:42 am

Gideon wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:
koberry wrote:

Agreed Eclipse is still opening doors to my ears. I go with Ritual as the definitive Pineada era track.
"I love almost everybody."---Rocky Balboa 1990
"Let's reform this thing.Let's go out and get some guys who want to work and go do it"--Neal Schon February, 2001
"I looked at Neal, and I just saw a guy who really wants his band back"-JCain 2/01
Red13JoePa
MP3

Postby RedWingFan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:48 am

Thanks goes to Neil for making Eclipse such a great punchline :lol: , "Eclipse still has legs!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Jana » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:25 am

The best song of the Arnel era is Turn Down the World Tonight just because it is one of my favorite songs by Journey and love the warmth of the song and his vocals and the throwback vibe of it. They had such a great album cover for Revelation. What happened to Eclipse with such a cheap album package and so dull in hues for the album cover? The colors needed to be richer, like black and orange. Resonate is my second favorite of his era.

TDTWT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GEgwJMj ... re=related
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Don » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:20 am

Red13JoePa wrote:
Gideon wrote:
G.I.Jim wrote:
koberry wrote:

Agreed Eclipse is still opening doors to my ears. I go with Ritual as the definitive Pineada era track.

From my initial listen til today, I could easily see Ritual being a Night Ranger tune; it has Blades written all over it.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:53 am

Don wrote:From my initial listen til today, I could easily see Ritual being a Night Ranger tune; it has Blades written all over it.

Ritual could fit at home with some of the Blades-penned tracks on Arrival. Wish Eclipse has more anthemic rockers like this one.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby journey361 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:31 am

I just don't think Cain and Perry liked echother in any fashion, professionally or otherwise. You can tell in their music, it just didn't click for them. Things were much better for the band before Cain arrived. Maybe it's each one's personallity wasn't meant to interact. Lets face it, what song has Cain wrote thats really worth a dam. No number one songs in Journeys run, maybe Perry thought he should write on his own or with someone else. It's better they don't have anything to do with one another.
journey361
LP

Postby Seven Wishes2 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:10 am

The above is one of the most ignorant, insane posts I've read in a long, long time.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe."
---Albert Einstein
Seven Wishes2
Cassette Tape

Postby Onestepper » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:21 am

journey361 wrote:I just don't think Cain and Perry liked echother in any fashion, professionally or otherwise. You can tell in their music, it just didn't click for them. Things were much better for the band before Cain arrived. Maybe it's each one's personallity wasn't meant to interact. Lets face it, what song has Cain wrote thats really worth a dam. No number one songs in Journeys run, maybe Perry thought he should write on his own or with someone else. It's better they don't have anything to do with one another.

Yeah totally agree dude. I mean, Open Arms didn't click at all. And that song Faithfully..what a loser bomb song that was! I mean, you never hear either of those two songs anymore, so the chemistry just must have been awful.

I hope you come around more often. I need some belly laughter in my life.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby artist4perry » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:41 am

Onestepper wrote:
journey361 wrote:I just don't think Cain and Perry liked echother in any fashion, professionally or otherwise. You can tell in their music, it just didn't click for them. Things were much better for the band before Cain arrived. Maybe it's each one's personallity wasn't meant to interact. Lets face it, what song has Cain wrote thats really worth a dam. No number one songs in Journeys run, maybe Perry thought he should write on his own or with someone else. It's better they don't have anything to do with one another.

Yeah totally agree dude. I mean, Open Arms didn't click at all. And that song Faithfully..what a loser bomb song that was! I mean, you never hear either of those two songs anymore, so the chemistry just must have been awful.

I hope you come around more often. I need some belly laughter in my life.

Not to mention Don't Stop Believin' Flop of a song if I ever heard one... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jon is a prolific talent, and honestly I don't think Cain and Perry had so many problems as Perry and Schon in the day.
artist4perry
MP3

Location: Running around in the vast universe that is my imagination. Send help!

Postby journey361 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:07 am

Well, you all made some valid points, i'm not going to sit here and pretend those points you brought to my attention are fruitfull. But Journey's songs are not played on the radio with AP. It's all about Perry, always has been, always will be. Cain said some things in VH1 that reared its ugly head. Even though its been salt living with pepper for so many years, is Cain really a good writer and player. Probably not. My opinion.
journey361
LP

PreviousNext

Return to Journey