Journey in Nashville this weekend

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby superreverb » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:20 am

Also forgot to mention, I thought Cain was considerably more into it last night, rockin more like an 80's show then some of the shows the last few years. I think the break in touring made it fun and exciting for them all to play last night, and it really showed. Everyone was really on their A game.
superreverb
Ol' 78

Postby fightingilliniJRNY » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:28 am

superreverb wrote:Also forgot to mention, I thought Cain was considerably more into it last night, rockin more like an 80's show then some of the shows the last few years. I think the break in touring made it fun and exciting for them all to play last night, and it really showed. Everyone was really on their A game.

Cain was definitely more animated. So was Ross. Could be because the school benefiting from the show is the one that Jonathan's kids attend. But the time off certainly helps, too.
fightingilliniJRNY
Cassette Tape

Postby Don » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:02 am

I'm happy that it was enjoyed by those who attended, especially you Gideon.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby mgstar1964 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:27 am

Hey all,

Thanks to everyone who had the pleasure of attending the show for providing the reviews, analysis and setlists from the show last night - great to hear that the boys seem to be in good shape and good spirits, and that hopefully, things can move forward for them this summer.

I'm happy that everyone enjoyed the show (Rip, Stu, Gideon, etc.) and had the opportunity to see Journey in this type of intimate setting. The last time I got to see them in a performing arts center type of environment was the Vacation's Over tour in 1998 (Clearwater, FL) ...

Rip, thanks for the insights into the summer tour - hopefully more details to come very shortly. I'm hoping they'll be able to play at least 90 minutes per set this summer, and maybe take out La Do Da from the set - could be replaced with another classic or hit ...

I think the fact that they've got another 5 months until the summer tour begins could actually be beneficial to the band AND the fans - gives everyone a chance to "miss them" for awhile, and it gives them a chance to further recuperate (Arnel), and get their personal lives in order (Neal / Deen) ... Hopefully when they hit the road in July, they'll be rested and restored and ready to go ...

Anyhoo, if anybody has any videos or pics to share, would be much appreciated. Again, glad the folks from here got to enjoy a nice night w/ the band :)

Best Regards,

Michael
Journey Fanatic ... 15 Concerts and counting - 1986 - Present - Arnel Rocks !
Long Live Journey - 2013 and BEYOND !
Have Eclipse, Revelation, and ALL the SP & Journey Remasters & DVDs !
mgstar1964
Ol' 78

Postby Gideon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks, Mgstar & Don.
I really did have a blast. This is the second Journey concert for Ashley and she's really becoming a diehard fan, more excited for it than me. She's got a crush on Jon and is in awe of Neal and she wants to get VIP tickets for the summer tour. It was also special because of the exhaustively mentioned fact that this was the first concert I've ever been to with my mother and her boyfriend.

I have the best pictures of the ones we managed to take on Facebook for those interested. Just head to my profile and check them out in the Journey 2012 folder: facebook.com/jessiahe[/url]
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Hollywood » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:16 am

steveo777 wrote:
AR wrote:Only 15 songs?

Shows no love of wanting to play live. Just an obligation. In that setting they could have done whatever they wanted.

Exactly my thoughts and it just pisses me off to know they could do more but some wanker in the company just won't let it happen. Fine, I guess it's time for state fairs and then they fade off into obscurity. The timing is perfect, as we will probably bury the last blue hair fan about the time the band retires.

Seriously dudes? This was a benefit concert and the point was to raise money for the school. It was not a hardcore fan show or a deep cuts type of event. They could have done whatever they wanted and chose to do the right thing and give people their money's worth with a GH set. There was probably a lot of people just doing the charity thing and weren't even fans and playing deep cuts would have emptied out the venue.

Now as a fan I would love a deep cuts show and would glady attend that type of event. I loved the 35th anniversary tour because I heard stuff I never would have heard otherwise.
"We Were Born To Be Loved'"
Hollywood
LP

Postby RedWingFan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:44 pm

I'm waiting for Strangegrey to photoshop a picture of Neil captaining that capsized cruise ship with the "Journey" logo on the side.
Seven Wishes wrote:"Abysmal? He's the most proactive President since Clinton, and he's bringing much-needed change for the better to a nation that has been tyrannized by the worst President since Hoover."- 7 Wishes on Pres. Obama
RedWingFan
Digital Audio Tape

Postby annie89509 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:59 pm

Gideon wrote:The rest of my entourage is now sound asleep but I figured I'd pop on to give my two cents:
Overall, this concert was stronger than the one I caught in September of 2011, rivaling the 2009 show in Louisville, though still inferior to the 2008 concert in Nashville.
Initially, I was bothered by the lack of post-Perry tracks, but Cain did say that this concert was supposed to be 90 minutes of hits. The first of two gripes, however, was the inclusion of La Do Da. It's not a fucking hit in any respect. Why not "I'll Be Alright Without You" or "Who's Cryin' Now"?
My second gripe was the lack of Deen on lead vocals. My mother is a long time Journey fan who never had the fortune of seeing them live and she was looking forward to hearing him, as was my girlfriend, but we were disappointed. Fortunately he pounds the drums at least as well as his ex-girlfriend's face.

But on the other hand, the band did a lot right tonight. The sound was, from where I sat, much better than our previous show. Arnel was more prominent in the mix, which is good, because he stole the show tonight. Usually I hand the MVP trophy to Neal or Jon, but Arnel dominated both of them. My mother, a diehard Loon and eternal enemy of Neal Schon, was floored by him and heaped a mountain of praises in his direction. In her own words, she sounded just as good as she ever heard Perry. The rest of the band was excellent.

My mother, who began the night as an unrepentant Loon now wishes to see the band again; her boyfriend, who is a mild Journey fan at best, is willing to go along. I can't wait for the tour if this is the caliber of shows to come, especially if they play new material and give Deen a vocal or two.

Score: 9/10

Giddy, good to hear you guys had a great time. No doubt AP was in great form as confirmed by the many positive reviews here and further evidenced by the yt video posted of SIL…lots of energy.

Not to put a damper on things, but I can’t help but wonder…if your mom had never before seen Journey live, why is she saying Arnel “sounded as good as she ever heard Perry”? Furthermore, no “unrepentant loon” (as you called Mom) would ever think or say such a thing. So, that’s a contradiction, too.

And I trust you will soon explain yourself thoroughly and set me straight on these 2 points… :wink:
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby Gideon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:57 am

annie wrote:Not to put a damper on things, but I can’t help but wonder…if your mom had never before seen Journey live, why is she saying Arnel “sounded as good as she ever heard Perry”?

Sounds like you misread my post as an implication that she meant "as good as she ever heard Perry [live]."
She grew up listening to Journey and their albums with Perry, which, if I'm not mistaken, makes her a fan for longer than either one of us. :wink:

annie wrote:Furthermore, no “unrepentant loon” (as you called Mom) would ever think

True, they're not known for such things. :lol:

annie wrote:or say such a thing.

My mother, who began the night as an unrepentant Loon now wishes to see the band again[...]

Some people possess the ability to change their minds in light of new evidence and experiences. I'm proud to say that my stubborn, formerly Perry-loving Neal-bashing mother has underwent something of a paradigm shift.
And would you believe it that she still manages to find within herself the strength to still love the Perry years?

annie wrote:So, that’s a contradiction, too.

Not if you can read what's written in plain text.

annie wrote:And I trust you will soon explain yourself thoroughly and set me straight on these 2 points… :wink:

As happy as I am to do that, perhaps you'll read a little slower and not be so quick to perceive contradictions (and dishonesty) where there aren't any? :wink:
Last edited by Gideon on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby artist4perry » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:09 am

Thanks for the input on the show guys. Rip nice av!
artist4perry
MP3

Location: Running around in the vast universe that is my imagination. Send help!

Postby AR » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:25 am

RedWingFan wrote:I'm waiting for Strangegrey to photoshop a picture of Neil captaining that capsized cruise ship with the "Journey" logo on the side.

AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Gideon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:23 am

Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby AR » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:28 am

Arnel's enunciation has improved dramatically since the last time I listened to a Journey clip. Someone has done a really good job working with him.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Gideon » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:48 am

AR wrote:

Arnel's enunciation has improved dramatically since the last time I listened to a Journey clip. Someone has done a really good job working with him.

His accent was the least noticeable this time around compared to any of the other 3 times I saw him.
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby Jana » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:15 am

Jon got to show off with a 3-minute solo for his new hometown crowd. Good for him. Arnel always shines on Open Arms. His voice sounds fantastic here. Amazing to realize he has been with them since 2008. That article was interesting. Jon mentioned they would record their next album probably in Nashville in his new studio he's building. I guess I was wrong. One day there will be another album.
Jana
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Peartree12249 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:43 am

Arnel sounded great on Open Arms. As "cheesy" as it is I still love that song. I didn't care for Faithfully as much. I never liked the new arrangement, the song always seems to drag.
Grammar, the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
Peartree12249
Stereo LP

Postby steveo777 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:23 pm

They still have Pineda? I haven't been paying attention lately. I just figured they had shit canned him by now. j/k :D

He did a bang up job on these and the only thing I think is down turned is Neal's junk. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
steveo777
MP3

Postby steveo777 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:26 pm

AR wrote:
RedWingFan wrote:I'm waiting for Strangegrey to photoshop a picture of Neil captaining that capsized cruise ship with the "Journey" logo on the side.

The captain of this ship hasn't killed anyone.........yet. Tark should not go near Neals house. Hell, I'll help him stick a hose up his ass and hook it up to the tail pipe of Neal's Harley while Neal revs the engine. It will be a gas! :lol:
steveo777
MP3

Postby annie89509 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Arnel always does a good job on OA...Faithfully not so much (imo). But, this time, he has really improved on the enunciation of the lyrics. Great job! They should do alright at the RF show.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby Gideon » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:45 am

Gideon
Stereo LP

Previous

Return to Journey