Journey in Nashville this weekend

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby Rip Rokken » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:32 am

Will do! Grabbing a bite right now and contemplating showing up to the show 2.5 sheets to the wind. Not the full 3, mind you. I want to drive at least semi-responsibly.

Rip Rokken
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Rick » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:53 am

Rip Rokken wrote:Will do! Grabbing a bite right now and contemplating showing up to the show 2.5 sheets to the wind. Not the full 3, mind you. I want to drive at least semi-responsibly.

My policy is to never drive drunk, but since I haven't always adhered to my own policy, my other policy is that when I find myself in the position to drive drunk, I just put the pedal to the floor and don't let up until I arrive at my destination. That way I'm out on the road a much shorter period of time. :D ;) :twisted:
I like to sit out on the front porch, where the birds can see me, eating a plate of scrambled eggs, just so they know what I'm capable of.
Rick
Super Audio CD

Postby artist4perry » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:54 am

Rip Rokken wrote:Will do! Grabbing a bite right now and contemplating showing up to the show 2.5 sheets to the wind. Not the full 3, mind you. I want to drive at least semi-responsibly.

Be careful. You want to end up where your actually going and not yelling at a bunch of cows in a field. :wink:
artist4perry
MP3

Location: Running around in the vast universe that is my imagination. Send help!

Postby Rip Rokken » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:16 am

Rick wrote:

My policy is to never drive drunk, but since I haven't always adhered to my own policy, my other policy is that when I find myself in the position to drive drunk, I just put the pedal to the floor and don't let up until I arrive at my destination. That way I'm out on the road a much shorter period of time. :D ;) :twisted:

Rip Rokken
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Rip Rokken » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:17 am

artist4perry wrote:

Be careful. You want to end up where your actually going and not yelling at a bunch of cows in a field. :wink:

If you're telling me it's a choice between Hell and the cow field, I'll take the cows, please!

Rip Rokken
Digital Audio Tape

Postby artist4perry » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:21 am

Rip Rokken wrote:
artist4perry wrote:

If you're telling me it's a choice between Hell and the cow field, I'll take the cows, please!

Nah, I am saying don't get so plastered you don't know your yelling at cows but imagining your at the Journey concert. Drunkards Mirage. Mooooooooooooo! Arnel sounds a little flat tonight? Moooooooooo? Nah that isn't an ugly cow, that is just Neal's girlfriend. SNAP! OH NO YOU DIDN'T! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
artist4perry
MP3

Location: Running around in the vast universe that is my imagination. Send help!

Postby Gideon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Rip, Im on the right loge. i see you lol.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby steveo777 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:02 pm

Gideon wrote:Rip, Im on the right loge. i see you lol.

Please tell us if anything out of the ordinary and expected happens, ie., assume they are on about number 7 of the DD right now. :D
steveo777
MP3

Postby Gideon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:04 pm

will do. i will let you know how it is later
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby mgstar1964 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:20 pm

Rip,

I always say, "Don't Drink and Drive, 'cause you might spill your drink, and that would be a waste!" ... Words to live by!

Enjoy the show tonight :)

Regards,

Michael
Journey Fanatic ... 15 Concerts and counting - 1986 - Present - Arnel Rocks !
Long Live Journey - 2013 and BEYOND !
Have Eclipse, Revelation, and ALL the SP & Journey Remasters & DVDs !
mgstar1964
Ol' 78

Set Lists / Videos, etc.

Postby mgstar1964 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Hey all,

To those at the show tonight (Rip, Gideon, RossValoryRocks (Stu), etc. ...

Love to hear how the band is doing and looks / sounds now, four months after the tour ended in Seattle ...

1. How is Arnel holding up / healing - do his injuries still seem apparent on stage? If anyone talks to him, please find out how he's healing or coming along, and how his rehab is coming - hope he'll be alright for the summer tour ...

2. Setlists please (including total length of show time, surprises, etc.)

3. How does Deen seem, in light of everything from recent weeks ...

4. Appreciate it if anyone has any pictures or videos to post here or to YouTube ...

5. If anyone talks to any of the band members, can they share any insights into the Summer Tour w/ Loverboy - where/when will the tour start, will it cover major cities and venues like last year, or is it a secondary market tour, and how long / how many shows will there be in this tour? Also, is it just the two bands, and how long should Journey play onstage this summer?

Thanks so much for any info. / insights you can all provide - a little preview of the upcoming tour ...

If anyone gets invited to the Rascal Flats Crossover event tomorrow, please share details as well :)

Much appreciated ... Rock on Journey - 2012!

Best Regards,

Michael G.
Journey Fanatic ... 15 Concerts and counting - 1986 - Present - Arnel Rocks !
Long Live Journey - 2013 and BEYOND !
Have Eclipse, Revelation, and ALL the SP & Journey Remasters & DVDs !
mgstar1964
Ol' 78

Postby AR » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Hope my friends there that went are having a great time.

I also hope they are the only ones there. :lol:

Journey are toast without Heart & Cheap Trick or whatever strong summer package they usually tour with. I used to laugh when they were getting all the credit for strong attendances. They were the main draw but were sunk without some major peers being on the bill.
Last edited by AR on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby steveo777 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:30 pm

AR wrote:Hope my friends there that went are having a great time.

I didn't know you had 1392 friends. :wink:

BTW, it sounds like this was a typical paint by numbers night with only the DD played. I hope they sounded good.
steveo777
MP3

Postby AR » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:32 pm

steveo777 wrote:

Check my facebook. :wink:

Oh boy they may have sold out a club sized venue!!! Yeah! :wink:
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby AR » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:33 pm

steveo777 wrote:

BTW, it sounds like this was a typical paint by numbers night with only the DD played. I hope they sounded good.

You would seriously think they would cater to hardcores in a venue that size.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Don » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:39 pm

WTF is with the band's infatuation for La Do Da?

Setlist
Separate Ways
Ask The Lonely
Send Her My Love
Only The Young
Faithfully
Stone In Love
Escape
Lights
Wheel In The Sky
Open Arms
La Do Da
Be Good To Yourself
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'

Encore
Any Way You Want It
Don't Stop Believin'
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby steveo777 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Don wrote:WTF is with the band's infatuation with La Do Da?

Setlist
Separate Ways
Ask The Lonely
Send Her My Love
Only The Young
Faithfully
Stone In Love
Escape
Lights
Wheel In The Sky
Open Arms
La Do Da
Be Good To Yourself
Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'

Encore
Any Way You Want It
Don't Stop Believin'

Not one fucking post Perry song. I guess they are ashamed of their own music past 1986!
steveo777
MP3

Postby Don » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:49 pm

No clamoring for Resonate from the crowd? No chanting of we want Michaele, we want Michaele? What kind of fans are these?
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby AR » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:53 pm

Only 15 songs?

Shows no love of wanting to play live. Just an obligation. In that setting they could have done whatever they wanted.
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Don » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:57 pm

It was a bunch of High School kids, they wouldn't know all of the dirty dozen songs. Why Journey didn't try anything new is a mystery to me. This was the type of setting where you can get away with playing anything. Oh well.
Don
Super Audio CD

Postby steveo777 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:05 pm

AR wrote:Only 15 songs?

Shows no love of wanting to play live. Just an obligation. In that setting they could have done whatever they wanted.

Exactly my thoughts and it just pisses me off to know they could do more but some wanker in the company just won't let it happen. Fine, I guess it's time for state fairs and then they fade off into obscurity. The timing is perfect, as we will probably bury the last blue hair fan about the time the band retires.
steveo777
MP3

Postby annie89509 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:07 pm

Anything on yt yet? I think it's safe bet to play the DD.... They are the "hits", after all. Every song is uptempo, catchy (exactly what Journey is known for)....even LaDoDa.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby superreverb » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Miles Schon getting up and playing LTS was a very cool thing to see and hear. I stayed around the back of the main floor, and stood beside a couple of guys with the All Access passes, one of them was the Kalmusky guy, that worked on Eclipse, (I'm Facebook friends with him, and recognized him) and one of his friends, a guitar player from Nashville (i don't remember the band he said when he introduced him) I introduced myself we'd actually talked on here, I sent him some Q's about Eclipse, he remembered our chat, and was really nice and approachable.

I'd overheard them talking about it being the sound guy's 1st Gig with Journey, and they kept going back to the sound board, and talking to him, maybe making suggestions, or helping, and the sound was getting better at times, and a little out of control at others.

Deen's drums didn't sound as good ad they have in the past, and Neal's guitar was fairly bright, shrill, and generally way on top, and Arnel was louder in the mix, by far, then I'd heard before at other shows, and I couldn't hear any of Deen's Cymbal work through the night, including Faithfully. But, if it was a new guy, I think he did really good.

As far as the seemingly secret gig... There were no posters, no Ads, no indication anywhere in town, on radio or Tv about this show. None of my friends in Nashville even knew about it... it was still a pretty good house, but even standing right outside the venue, you'd have NO idea Journey was playing there, no posters or Marquis at the venue at all, which I found odd.

I saw THIS thread on here, and found out about the show, so thanks all it was a good night, and a great show... again, not sure if Miles has ever gotten up with Journey before, but it was definitely a moment. and Arnel mentioned it's Neal's birthday on his way off the stage.
superreverb
Ol' 78

Postby Gideon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:18 pm

The rest of my entourage is now sound asleep but I figured I'd pop on to give my two cents:
Overall, this concert was stronger than the one I caught in September of 2011, rivaling the 2009 show in Louisville, though still inferior to the 2008 concert in Nashville.
Initially, I was bothered by the lack of post-Perry tracks, but Cain did say that this concert was supposed to be 90 minutes of hits. The first of two gripes, however, was the inclusion of La Do Da. It's not a fucking hit in any respect. Why not "I'll Be Alright Without You" or "Who's Cryin' Now"?
My second gripe was the lack of Deen on lead vocals. My mother is a long time Journey fan who never had the fortune of seeing them live and she was looking forward to hearing him, as was my girlfriend, but we were disappointed. Fortunately he pounds the drums at least as well as his ex-girlfriend's face.

But on the other hand, the band did a lot right tonight. The sound was, from where I sat, much better than our previous show. Arnel was more prominent in the mix, which is good, because he stole the show tonight. Usually I hand the MVP trophy to Neal or Jon, but Arnel dominated both of them. My mother, a diehard Loon and eternal enemy of Neal Schon, was floored by him and heaped a mountain of praises in his direction. In her own words, she sounded just as good as she ever heard Perry. The rest of the band was excellent.

My mother, who began the night as an unrepentant Loon now wishes to see the band again; her boyfriend, who is a mild Journey fan at best, is willing to go along. I can't wait for the tour if this is the caliber of shows to come, especially if they play new material and give Deen a vocal or two.

Score: 9/10
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby mr.v » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:00 am

I live in Nashville and this is the first I've heard of it!
mr.v
45 RPM

Postby Rip Rokken » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:04 am

Gideon wrote:Rip, Im on the right loge. i see you lol.

Oh, no! Wish I'd seen this earlier. Before the show a nice looking young gentleman with a lovely wife approached me and asked if I was Rip, and I said, "Gideon?" Turned out he's just a lurker on the site. If he reads this, again, it was a pleasure to meet you and sign up and join the fun!

Are you still in town, Gideon? Shoot me a PM if you're still around and maybe we could say hi.
Rip Rokken
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Rip Rokken » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:30 am

mr.v wrote:I live in Nashville and this is the first I've heard of it!

Well, luckily you got there in time... you were playing bass, right? j/k!

Rip Rokken
Digital Audio Tape

Re: Set Lists / Videos, etc.

Postby Rip Rokken » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:38 am

mgstar1964 wrote:1. How is Arnel holding up / healing - do his injuries still seem apparent on stage? If anyone talks to him, please find out how he's healing or coming along, and how his rehab is coming - hope he'll be alright for the summer tour ...

Doing great so far! You wouldn't know by watching him.

mgstar1964 wrote:2. Setlists please (including total length of show time, surprises, etc.)

Done...

mgstar1964 wrote:3. How does Deen seem, in light of everything from recent weeks ...

Deen looks fantastic - he's lost a lot of weight and was in great spirits.

mgstar1964 wrote:5. If anyone talks to any of the band members, can they share any insights into the Summer Tour w/ Loverboy - where/when will the tour start, will it cover major cities and venues like last year, or is it a secondary market tour, and how long / how many shows will there be in this tour? Also, is it just the two bands, and how long should Journey play onstage this summer?

We were jamming on "Just Getting Started" last night, matter o' fact. Not always just the two bands, and the bill will bring people out for sure. I'm REALLY excited about seeing this show, and wish I could say more but not sure what's ok to mention right now.
Rip Rokken
Digital Audio Tape

Postby fightingilliniJRNY » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:40 am

I'll throw in my two cents about last night's show. Yes, it was not advertised very well. As a benefit show from a local school, a lot of the tickets went to those people affiliated with it. It was a 90 minute show with the Dirty Dozen. To be expected for something like this. If you were anticipating any deep cuts or new songs, really, you shouldn't have been. It was what it was. A good chance to see the band in a close setting apart from a tour. I'm all over that.

I thought the band looked to be in good shape and sounded pretty good. Arnel was solid after a slow start, and he wasn't moving around a ton. Which is fine - it probably helped his singing. Wheel In The Sky was a highlight, and Miles came out and jammed with the band on Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'. I asked the lighting director after the show when the tour started, and he said they hit the road in July. Nothing really exciting to report, just a good Friday night in Nashville. A nice warm-up for the band if they are filming Crossroads with Rascal Flatts tonight, which I think they are.
fightingilliniJRNY
Cassette Tape

Postby Gideon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:48 am

Gotta echo those sentiments.
The quality of the performance for me was indicated by my mom's reaction. She was absolutely floored, even this morning. And this coming from a woman whose thoughts about Neal were historically so unkind that even Deano and Frank would probably say she crossed a line. :lol:
Gideon
Stereo LP

PreviousNext

Return to Journey