Andy Avery: Former Lead Singer?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Andy Avery: Former Lead Singer?

Postby Yoda » Tue May 19, 2015 9:47 pm

Came cross the Facebook page of Petra's lead singer, John Schlitt, and he's touring on a "voices of rock" tour with Andy Avery and John Elefante. I'm well aware of John Elefante, but I had never heard of Andy Avery. Don't know if he was ever mentioned here. Anyway, he is listed as a former lead singer of Journey. Now, I thought I was well schooled in my history of Journey, but I had never heard of Avery being in the band. Seems to be that he was brought into the band soon after the band disbanded after ROR, right before their reunion, but I always thought that was Chalfant who was going to be in the band. What's the story about Avery?
“Do or do not... there is no try.”
Yoda
8 Track

Re: Andy Avery: Former Lead Singer?

Postby cinkidd » Tue May 19, 2015 10:41 pm

Calling bullshit on this story.
Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
cinkidd
45 RPM

Postby tater1977 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:14 pm

Andy Avery Fans - Official

May 9 at 12:37am · Edited ·

Interview on The Vine 5/6/15 before the Mill Shoals IL concert on 5/8.

Event Details: Andy Avery, a former lead singer of the rock band Journey joined Mark & Jenny Leigh on The Vine Morning Show talking about his life and testimony. Avery joined the band in 1989 after lead singer Steve Perry was unable to perform. During that time, Andy became an addict to drugs, alcohol and eventually landed himself in federal prison. Today, Avery travels to prisons, churches and schools to minister to kids and adults.

http://uschurchstream.ezstream.com/play ... &ptype=wmp

:roll: :roll:
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed May 20, 2015 3:21 am

In all my years of being a fan, I have never heard this guy mentioned or even having tangential relationships with the band (like Bolton, Gioeli, or JSS). He has no discography that I can find. I call bullshit too. And after listening to him on YouTube, I will say his voice is alright for Karaoke night at Applebees, but that's it. This guy needs to be exposed.

Somebody should def bring this to Neal's attention on FB. Most of the press releases state "Andy had been asked to sing for the 80's band Journey twice but turned it down." :shock: Here's a few links about this guy.

http://www.olneydailymail.com/article/2 ... /131129830

http://www.newsbug.info/fountain_county ... 963f4.html

http://www.thejournal-news.net/news/loc ... 963f4.html

http://patch.com/missouri/florissant/ev ... andy-avery

http://www.therepublic.com/view/local_s ... 1403310363
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby scarab » Wed May 20, 2015 3:53 am

Good Scam. :twisted:
Play churches and schools for goodwill offerings and tour the country saying you were the "former lead singer of Journey", when at best you may have auditioned (or probably just sent them a tape). And coincidentally at this time you fell prey to "sin".

I should one up this and say I was the former lead singer of Bon Jovi.(I did sing along to them back in the 80's). :lol:
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:27 am

http://www.olneydailymail.com/article/2 ... /131129830

Avery was hired to sing with the band in 1989 after former lead singer Steve Perry could not perform.

Before singing with the group, Avery said his mind and body told him that he could not do it alone and needed substances. On the first night he performed, Avery said he was "so messed up, I thought I was the light god, shining lights down on myself."

Three months later, he woke up in a California hospital out of a cocaine- and heroin-induced coma.
"When they pulled the trach out of my throat, they took the left vocal cord with it," he said. "When you hear me sing today, I only sing with one vocal cord."

I think I missed the 1989 tour.... :shock:

http://www.thejournal-news.net/news/loc ... 963f4.html

After going to rehab more than once, he returned to the music world and was given the opportunity to fill in for the lead singer of Journey. He sang one concert, overdosed and lost his voice.

http://patch.com/missouri/florissant/ev ... andy-avery

They toured with the likes of KISS & Aerosmith. He filled in as singer for Journey when lead singer Steve Perry left the band. The position was offered to Andy, but he turned it down so he could pursue what God laid on his heart.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/local_s ... 1403310363

Because drugs and alcohol were ruining his life, Avery lasted one concert, though that can’t be clearly verified in any of the band’s public history.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby scarab » Wed May 20, 2015 8:45 am

It's amazing that during the recording/touring of Bad English Neal and Jon reformed with a new singer.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby JohnH » Wed May 20, 2015 4:50 pm

Avery and Foreigner's fake ex singer Dominick Allen will soon be touring as the Voices of total BS!

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=57672&p=4681221&hilit=Domenick+Allen#p4681221
JohnH
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:47 pm

(Paraphrasing his above audio interview from 5/6/2015)
- Amazing how some people's mind's work.

1989 he got the chance to 'audition' for Journey.
- Circumstances surrounding 'audition' ...
SP had some health problems and continues to have health problems ...
and him and JC kinda parted ways...
Most people don't know that Journey's had 5 or 6 different lead singers..

He's asked with what he does now...does he still keep in touch
with some of the band members of Journey?

'No, no ah the only person I talk to is ironically Steve Perry, himself'.
'We've become good friends.'

What's he think about where your at today ... ?

Well he supports me 100%...

For a long time I wasn't even allowed to say my testimony, I mean like for
15-20 years I wasn't allowed to say it, so just over the last couple years I've been given permission to publicize it thru the band's management and things like that.
that as long as I'm helping kids and doing things like that....

-Listen to full interview...

http://uschurchstream.ezstream.com/play ... &ptype=wmp
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 pm

UTTER BS!

Posted by: Andrew

Date: May 20, 2015 11:08AM

Neal says he's never heard of this guy and is going to taking action to get story removed.

Hilarious.

http://www.melodicrock.com/phorum52/rea ... sg-1001303

WTG Andrew :D
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:42 pm

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/christian- ... n-mccausey

Christian Devotions Speak UP! Andy Avery & Nolan McCausey
Broadcast in Christianity
12 months ago

15.15 starts

15.47 - his dysfunctional childhood and family

23.45 - Gene Simmons got him his audition for Journey

36.00 - end

:roll:
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 21, 2015 12:34 am

Shameless. What a turd. In this internet day and age, did he really think he could get away with this forever?
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Andrew » Thu May 21, 2015 12:38 am

Full story tomorrow.....

Got quotes from everyone.
Andrew
Administrator

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 21, 2015 12:48 am

Andrew wrote:Full story tomorrow.....

Got quotes from everyone.

This should be good. Can't wait to hear "Pastor" Avery's excuses. :lol:
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 21, 2015 1:16 am

tater1977 wrote:http://www.blogtalkradio.com/christian-devotions/2014/05/20/christian-devotions-speak-up-andy-avery-nolan-mccausey

Christian Devotions Speak UP! Andy Avery & Nolan McCausey
Broadcast in Christianity
12 months ago

15.15 starts

15.47 - his dysfunctional childhood and family

23.45 - Gene Simmons got him his audition for Journey

36.00 - end

:roll:

Couldn't help myself and gave this interview a listen. This con-artist lies like a rug. Full of more tall tales than Paul Bunyun. Btw, on his FB he is using the Captured scarab on his marketing.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby perryfan61 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:59 am

Can't wait to hear how he tries to wiggle his way out of this!! Did he think all the Journey fans gave up and went away, so he would never be questioned? Boy, was he wrong : :lol: Guess he should have kept his testimony to himself!!
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby JohnH » Thu May 21, 2015 5:30 am

Oh I remeber Avery and Allen sang for Journey and Foreigner on their 1990 world tour. Weird I can't find any of these shows on the Setlist website . :)
JohnH
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 21, 2015 8:16 am

http://westkentuckystar.com/News/Local- ... -Rock.aspx

Here's another newspaper that should issue a retraction. In this article, they claim that music critics acknowledge that Avery sounds strikingly like Perry. I would love to know who these critics are? Best I can tell, Avery has no footprint in the industry. Kevin Chalfant released a gospel album a few years back. Maybe Avery heard of Kev's story and decided to rip it off.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu May 21, 2015 9:53 am

What planet have the rest of you been living on?

How can you not remember the album and tour that the world famous Andy Avery did with Journey in 1989?

In 1989 Journey released their "Freedom" album and followed that up with a massive world tour.

The album sold over 25 million copies in the first two and a half days that it was in stores.

On July, 15, 1989 they played for a crowd of five hundred thousand people in Toad Suck, Arkansas.

The band lineup was...

Andy Avery on lead vocals and the Triangle
Neal Schon on Pan Flute and Gameleste
Jonathan Cain on the Tuba and Lur
Randy Jackson on the Invisible (And silent) Drums and the Theremin
And Mike Baird on the Moonshine Jug and Cimbalom

Steve Perry was also part of the tour. However, he agreed to the tour only if he could play the Holophonor.

George Tickner performed at some shows too. He played the Branching corrugahorn.

A then unknown Arnel Pineda played the Pyrophone once a month. It took a whole month for his eyebrows to grow back between shows, thus the reason that he only sat in with the band once a month.

Cab Calloway and Michael Buble added Tuvan Throat Vocals, however, they were off-stage and not seen by the audiences.

I attended over 8 thousand of their shows that summer.

You people call yourselves Journey fans, and yet you forgot about that album and tour :?: :?: :?: :shock: :roll: :evil: :!: :!: :!: :o :o :o
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:59 am

LOL!!! I had a great time looking up some of those instruments!!
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu May 21, 2015 10:10 am

Here's the website that I got some of those instrument names from.
http://list25.com/25-bizarre-and-unique ... struments/

It tells what they are, and has pictures of them.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 21, 2015 10:12 am

Lol. Funny shit.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Andrew » Thu May 21, 2015 12:54 pm

Oh, the story gets even better folks :)
Andrew
Administrator

Postby steveo777 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:40 pm

Andrew wrote:Oh, the story gets even better folks :)

Sounds like someone is batshit crazy. Please tell us more, Drew! lol
steveo777
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 21, 2015 2:25 pm

In this article, he claims he sold a song to Toby Keith. :roll:

http://www.educationviews.org/andy-avery-rocking-years/
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby Andrew » Thu May 21, 2015 2:42 pm

I'll be posting shortly. Just waiting to hear back from Andy (again).
Andrew
Administrator

Postby Majestic » Thu May 21, 2015 7:14 pm

STOLEN VALOR!!! :shock:
Majestic
8 Track

Postby Andrew » Thu May 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Andrew
Administrator

Postby Yoda » Thu May 21, 2015 9:51 pm

Sounds to me like this guy got caught in a lie and is trying to backtrack. I'm glad I brought this to light down here in the forum, and glad Andrew did his investigations on the matter. I know I have heard Journey's history rehashed ad nauseam, and well aware that the time period mentioned was when Neal and Jon were in Bad English. So, I thought this story had to be suspect. Not that it would have been impossible for Neal and Jon to have been working on reforming Journey while being in Bad English, but I'm sure we would have known about this if it had happened.

At the same time, I'm sure there's information out there that only the former and current band members of Journey know and keep close to the vest. I'm sure we don't know all details of what goes on behind closed doors - or at least not all of the truth. I'm fine with that. But, I had to ask, because being a lead singer, even trying out as a lead singer of Journey, is usually information that is known throughout the Journey community with its fans. This just came way out of left field!
“Do or do not... there is no try.”
Yoda
8 Track

Postby annie89509 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:19 pm

All I can say is ... some strange and crazy people out there.
Wanted to condemn the guy. But, after reading all of Andrew's followup ... can only smh :?
annie89509
Stereo LP

Next

Return to Journey