Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Deen aint coming back anytime soon

Postby youkeepmewaiting » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:43 pm

youkeepmewaiting
Cassette Tape

Re: Deen aint coming back anytime soon

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:54 am

Interesting interview. When asked about writing WCN, he mentioned Jon and himself, no mention at all of SP.
Looks like they haven't completely shut the door on Deen,, but as you say, it won't be any time soon. Wonder who they will be taking on tour with them next year?
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:20 am

Good interview. You can tell that the interviewer is a fan. I am surprised to hear that Neal thinks Eclipse doesn't sound good. I am equally surprised to read Neal speak so positively about Trial by Fire.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby tater1977 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:33 am

perryfan61 wrote:Interesting interview. When asked about writing WCN, he mentioned Jon and himself, no mention at all of SP.
Looks like they haven't completely shut the door on Deen,, but as you say, it won't be any time soon. Wonder who they will be taking on tour with them next year?

Neal must have selective memory ...

https://youtu.be/_ixcuNh9Fbg
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby tater1977 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:39 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Good interview. You can tell that the interviewer is a fan. I am surprised to hear that Neal thinks Eclipse doesn't sound good. I am equally surprised to read Neal speak so positively about Trial by Fire.

What was it like reuniting with the classic Journey lineup for Trial By Fire, and are there any unreleased recordings from those sessions that might eventually see the light of day?

There’s no unreleased material (laughs). They’ve exhausted that. I’m certain that there isn’t; and if there is, I don’t even know about it.

Wasn't there an interview in which NS stated ' ...man you ought to catch the outakes of TBF ... ' :?:
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby FamilyMan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:12 am

Interesting notes on Eclipse also. I'm glad to hear Neal admit the record sounds lousy. That was one of my complaints from the get-go. Interesting also: "Arnel is with me. He's ready to go." Pretty clear it's Jon who's not interested in a new album
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:50 am

FamilyMan wrote:Interesting notes on Eclipse also. I'm glad to hear Neal admit the record sounds lousy. That was one of my complaints from the get-go.

And if Eclipse sounds bad, what does that make Generations? I think Eclipse is their most polished record since TBF.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby FamilyMan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:26 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:Interesting notes on Eclipse also. I'm glad to hear Neal admit the record sounds lousy. That was one of my complaints from the get-go.

And if Eclipse sounds bad, what does that make Generations? I think Eclipse is their most polished record since TBF.

Everything they've released post-Perry has the same muddy sound, including Generations... which also suffered from plain ol' bad songs. Think it's about time they look beyond Kevin Shirley.
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:51 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

It sounds great with headphones but muddy on everything else.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:10 am

Journey could release Eclipse 2016 with the following tracks:
1. Edge of the Moment
2. Chain of Love
3. Tantra
4. Anything is Possible
5. Resonate
6. She's a Mystery
7. Human Feel
8. Ritual
9. Someone
10. A new rocker with lyrics
This would give Neal a chance to clean it up and also to make it tighter and a new song to finish it off.
JourneyHard
Cassette Tape

Postby RPM » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:02 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:Good interview. You can tell that the interviewer is a fan. I am surprised to hear that Neal thinks Eclipse doesn't sound good. I am equally surprised to read Neal speak so positively about Trial by Fire.

IF your listening on an average to poor system you might not notice the difference as much, but its bad.
Revelations is hideous . (shame some good songs) The post Perry production went off a cliff.
most people could careless though.
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:52 am

FamilyMan wrote:Everything they've released post-Perry has the same muddy sound, including Generations... which also suffered from plain ol' bad songs. Think it's about time they look beyond Kevin Shirley.

Shirley had nothing to do with Generations. I'm not an audiophile, but TBF sounds great to my ears. Between both Shirley and Kalmusky, I think Eclipse sounds great too.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby slucero » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:10 am

from a purely audio engineering standpoint.. Eclipse is very well recorded and mixed... It's deviation from classic journey songwriting is its only real flaw...

Pre Journey.. Perry was studio rat, learned engineering.. and when in Journey learned a load from Roy Thomas Baker, especially about stacking vocals...

He got really good at getting vocals to shine...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Archetype » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:15 am

FamilyMan wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Think it's about time they look beyond Kevin Shirley.

Maybe my ears aren't quite as fine tuned as some of yours, but I don't really take issue with the majority of the post-Perry releases. Generations and Red 13 don't sound very good, but I can still enjoy them. Kevin Shirley makes Iron Maiden sound pretty good, and I love the remasters he did for H.I.M
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby annie89509 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:24 pm

tater1977 wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:Interesting interview. When asked about writing WCN, he mentioned Jon and himself, no mention at all of SP.

Neal must have selective memory ...

https://youtu.be/_ixcuNh9Fbg

Revisionist history indeed .... WCN was a SP/JC composition. Neal was not involved in the writing of the song in any way... unless he was referring to the extended outro he played in the recording.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby annie89509 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:30 pm

tater1977 wrote:

What was it like reuniting with the classic Journey lineup for Trial By Fire, and are there any unreleased recordings from those sessions that might eventually see the light of day?

There’s no unreleased material (laughs). They’ve exhausted that. I’m certain that there isn’t; and if there is, I don’t even know about it.

Wasn't there an interview in which NS stated ' ...man you ought to catch the outakes of TBF ... ' :?:

Yep.. exact quote...from the "turkey talk" satellite interviews with radio station dj's across the country. ('96 Bootleg cds)
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby Majestic » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:45 pm

I think outtakes refers to parts of songs that got cut rather than whole songs that didn't make the cut.
Majestic
8 Track

Postby Abitaman » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:19 am

Good read.
Seems like he hasn't given up on Deen. Not surprised by the 2 or 3 year comment, if found not guilty he needs time to get his head together.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby ebake02 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:39 pm

Abitaman wrote:Good read.
Seems like he hasn't given up on Deen. Not surprised by the 2 or 3 year comment, if found not guilty he needs time to get his head together.

Which begs the question: Who will be behind the kit on the next tour?
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:42 am

ebake02 wrote:

I wish Steve Smith
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby Archetype » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:31 am

ebake02 wrote:

Omar Hakim makes the most sense unless he has other things going on.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Stereo LP

Postby ebake02 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:57 am

Archetype wrote:
ebake02 wrote:

Omar Hakim makes the most sense unless he has other things going on.

Virgil Donati wouldn't be a bad choice either if Omar and Smitty are both occupied.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:43 am

I posted this in another thread already. But I'll post it again.

If Deen can't be the drummer, then I would want it to be one of these guys....

#1 Steve Smith

Then in no particular order...

Aynsley Dunbar
Prairie Prince
Omar Hakim
Marc Droubay
Virgil Donati
Mugs Cain
Michael Shrieve

I would be highly disappointed if it's not one of those guys.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Abitaman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:25 am

Never been a big fan of Dunbar.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Postby FamilyMan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:52 am

Michael Baird anyone? We know he knows the songs... 8)
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:25 am

FamilyMan wrote:Michael Baird anyone? We know he knows the songs... 8)

He wasn't a bad drummer by any means. In fact he was a fairly highly sought after sessions drummer outside of Journey.

But he was never in the same category as Smith, Dunbar or Castronovo.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:12 am

Abitaman wrote:Never been a big fan of Dunbar.

He was a phenomenally talented drummer. In fact, I consider his drumming on the first 3 Journey albums to be the most impressive drumming that has appeared on Journey albums. And that's saying a lot considering all of the great drumming that Smith and Castronovo have done on Journey albums. I consider Smith to be the better all around drummer over Dunbar, but Smith rarely got to shine on Journey albums the way that Dunbar did on the first 3 albums.

The potential problems with Dunbar being in Journey now are the fact that there were past disputes with him when he was in the band and then when he was fired. Also, back in the late 70's he seemed largely uninterested in playing on ballads or other lite Rock songs, and not interested in playing for the song in general unless it was progressive Rock.

Also, Dunbar is kind of up there in years now. You have to wonder how he'd hold up to a long tour these days? Plus, can he still play with the same speed that he did in the 70's and 80's?

I would love to hear him play with Journey again on a hard Rocking album! I always hoped that Neal would have Aynsley play on one of his solo albums.

I would also love it if Neal did one solo album where he had almost all of the great drummers that he's worked with over the years perform on it. I can't think of anyone who has worked with so many great drummers as Neal has.

Neal has worked with...
Steve smith
Aynsley Dunbar
Deen Castronovo
Michael Shrieve
Prairie Prince
Greg Errico
Omar Hakim
Jan Hammer
Mike Baird
Larrie Londin (Although he can't work with him again, seeing as he died)

I think that he may have also worked briefly with Lenny White? But I'm not sure about that one?

Neal could do a solo album where he has most of those drummers guest on one or two songs each.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:38 am

Fact Finder wrote:Jan Hammer on drums?????

I don't think so. :)

I wasn't naming him for Journey. :lol:

But actually, he is an excellent drummer, even though he's first and foremost a keyboardist. I just meant that he could play drums on one of Neal's future solo songs. Not an entire album, but just one song. And I only meant that if Neal were to do an album having all of the past great drummers that he has worked with perform on it.

When I named Jan Hammer, I expected someone to question that. But he really is a good drummer.

If you listen to Steve Smith's drumming on the song "NS Vortex," IMO he intentionally played those drums in a style that Jan Hammer played drums on some of the Schon & Hammer songs.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Majestic » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:07 pm

Fact Finder wrote:Jan Hammer on drums?????

I don't think so. :)

He could do it. But it would make more sense to have a drummer who can sing.
Majestic
8 Track

Postby WIX » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:22 am

I have been told they are going to use a Drum Machine similar to what Marilyn Manson used to use. This will save them the cost of hiring someone and extra costs involved.

They will be able to put more cash in their retirement plans so they can retire later than they anticipated. This has been a forever long goal for the guys.

They are actually very jealous of Steve Perry investing in the Pizza Chain he did years back "Fractured Stone Baked Pizza" which took off over sea's and also he invested in a company owned by Romy and Michele called Stickem Maxi Pads. This has made him so much money in addition to use of Journey Music he recorded he is set for life.

He did ask the other members to invest with him at the time but they chose to buy into 'Kenny Rogers Roasters" which went bankrupt. The other band members felt it was a good gamble. But they should have known when to hold them and walk away.
WIX
8 Track

Next

Return to Journey