Steve Perry Release Date Pool

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Steve Perry Release Date Pool

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:39 am

Just for fun, let's start a Steve Perry Release Date Pool for his new album. When do you think it will be released? :D

I pick May 17, 2016. :D
JourneyHard
LP

Re: Steve Perry Release Date Pool

Postby steveo777 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:55 am

Saber rattling, due to former band mates releasing new music. (Santana)

Data point: Santana released 2 songs ahead of the CD. What have we heard from SP? **crickets**
steveo777
MP3

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:07 pm

JourneyHard wrote:Just for fun, let's start a Steve Perry Release Date Pool for his new album. When do you think it will be released? :D

I pick May 17, 2016. :D

I won't go so far as to pick a specific day. That's too finite a point. But, assuming he releases this year, if at all -- Fall of 2016.

I'm forgetting which interview said it, but I read one of his former band mates said they worked on FTLOSM for 3 years (might have been Paul Taylor who said it). If that's true, very hard to imagine Perry cranks this one out.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:36 pm

scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby jrny84 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:14 pm

Spring 2017
jrny84
8 Track

Postby slucero » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:27 pm

12th of Never...

:mrgreen:

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:39 pm

I forgot Steve Perry is a perfectionist. Let me change my guess to June 15, 2020. :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Archetype » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:04 pm

Not happening
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:10 am

Wasn't that supposed to be THIS Spring? But we're hearing NOTHING yet?
Spring started March 20th...
Christmas or never.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Andrew » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:36 pm

Andrew
Administrator

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:14 am

Andrew wrote:2017

Well look at you being a cagey wombat!

Is that your guess or based on something you're privy to?
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:17 am

I have no idea if SP will ever release new music. However, re-listening to TBF recently makes me appreciate just how much of himself he put into every song. Some of the tunes on Eclipse feature Arnel singing lyrics without really connecting to them. With Perry, you believe every word.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby jrny84 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:51 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I have no idea if SP will ever release new music. However, re-listening to TBF recently makes me appreciate just how much of himself he put into every song. Some of the tunes on Eclipse feature Arnel singing lyrics without really connecting to them. With Perry, you believe every word.

Amen to that. Perry had an emotional attachment with songs that not many other singers have. He knew when to inject energy, emotion, and feeling into each song. He could feel each note in his bones. I sure miss that.
jrny84
8 Track

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:17 pm

October 1998.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby MotherCitay » Mon May 16, 2016 2:33 pm

16th of May ..... (be)
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby perryfan61 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:33 pm

I'm going to say sometime before the end of this year....hopefully. Now that the word is out, the suspense is killing me! :P :shock:
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby scarab » Tue May 17, 2016 1:09 am

Street Talk was written and recorded in less than a year and it was awesome.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Tue May 17, 2016 8:11 am

jrny84 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:I have no idea if SP will ever release new music. However, re-listening to TBF recently makes me appreciate just how much of himself he put into every song. Some of the tunes on Eclipse feature Arnel singing lyrics without really connecting to them. With Perry, you believe every word.

Amen to that. Perry had an emotional attachment with songs that not many other singers have. He knew when to inject energy, emotion, and feeling into each song. He could feel each note in his bones. I sure miss that.

This is why I think they need to re-record Eclipse with Steve Perry! He would bring so much magic to all those songs. (They can skip To Whom It May Concern, and just re-record the rest with Perry.) :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 17, 2016 11:23 am

JourneyHard wrote:This is why I think they need to re-record Eclipse with Steve Perry! He would bring so much magic to all those songs. (They can skip To Whom It May Concern, and just re-record the rest with Perry.) :D

Great album, but I agree that Perry would certainly elevate the material. His touch is missing on the lyrics also.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby tj » Tue May 17, 2016 11:53 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:This is why I think they need to re-record Eclipse with Steve Perry! He would bring so much magic to all those songs. (They can skip To Whom It May Concern, and just re-record the rest with Perry.) :D

Great album, but I agree that Perry would certainly elevate the material. His touch is missing on the lyrics also.

One of the great things about the Cain/Perry/Schon writing team was the ability to settle on great lyrics. I am struggling to think of anything that any of the three of them have done individually or with others that compares.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby ebake02 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:53 am

Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Tue May 17, 2016 12:30 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

There is no way he could sing Eclipse songs. Maybe in 1983 he could. In 1986, he could probably fix things via the studio. But, he couldn't even sing TBF without his voice sounding like it was about to give way at any moment. The same with "I Stand Alone". In fact, if "I Stand Alone" was recorded and released in 1981, it probably would have been a huge hit. Even some of the vocal acrobatics Arnel did on things like "Chain of Love" Perry hasn't done since BEFORE Escape.

Perry should just stay away from Journey and remain solo. It's better for both sides that way.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Tue May 17, 2016 12:38 pm

I did the same a while back. I had the same reaction I did years ago. I can get through "Message of Love", I love "One More", "When You Love a Woman" - Meh...but still a good song, I have always liked "Forever in Blue" (but it's not as good as LRB's "Forever Blue", but that's another story), love "Castles Burning". Then it is skip, skip,....all these songs sound the same....screw it, next CD.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tj » Tue May 17, 2016 12:39 pm

Monker wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

There is no way he could sing Eclipse songs. Maybe in 1983 he could. In 1986, he could probably fix things via the studio. But, he couldn't even sing TBF without his voice sounding like it was about to give way at any moment. The same with "I Stand Alone". In fact, if "I Stand Alone" was recorded and released in 1981, it probably would have been a huge hit. Even some of the vocal acrobatics Arnel did on things like "Chain of Love" Perry hasn't done since BEFORE Escape.

Perry should just stay away from Journey and remain solo. It's better for both sides that way.

Perry could sing anything he wanted, it would just sound very different from what people heard on Eclipse or think the 20/30/40 years ago Perry would sound like singing Eclipse (or Arrival, Generations, Revelation) songs. And wouldn't go over very well with his and the bands fans.

I don't see how any Perry/Journey reunion with new material meets anyone's high expectations. I don't see a reunion ever happening, but if it did a re-work of the hits with completely different arrangements would be their best bet so that direct comparisons are too difficult to make.
tj
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey