Kevin Elson question

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Kevin Elson question

Postby tj » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:09 pm

I know that a lot of people here believe that Generations wasn't a good album and I have seen quite a few put that on Kevin Elson as the producer. It seems like he did good work with the band in the past on Departure, Captured, Escape, and Frontiers. My guess is that is why they went with him on Generations. Obviously, they went back to Kevin Shirley for Revelation and Eclipse, so it seems that the band wasn't pleased with the results of Generations either.

Did Elson lose his touch? , Was it that he did a great job on Generations and without him it would have been worse? Someone else was really behind the success of the previous albums (Mike Stone or Steve Perry)?
tj
Cassette Tape

Re: Kevin Elson question

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:38 pm

I can't answer your question about why they used Elson on Generations.
But I'm glad that they did. I have always preferred his producing over Kevin Shirley's.
And I think that a lot of people drastically exaggerate how "bad" his production was on Generations.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:11 pm

- off subject a tad -

Kevin Shirley posted on his FB...

https://www.facebook.com/kevthecave?fref=photo

tbt 20 years ago - "TRIAL BY FIRE" - having fun with Journey - Steve Perry (Journey), Neal Schon, Ross Valory Leslie Langlo Millis
ps Gutted by Prince's death - only posting because I am packing to move, and I keep coming across old photos. K

20 years ago.jpg
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Compact Disc

Postby FamilyMan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:51 pm

Let's be honest. The late great George Martin himself couldn't have saved Generations from itself. It was the material, more than the mastering. There are two or three really good songs, but that's it.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:06 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:I can't answer your question about why they used Elson on Generations.
But I'm glad that they did. I have always preferred his producing over Kevin Shirley's.
And I think that a lot of people drastically exaggerate how "bad" his production was on Generations.

I agree. I have preferred the sound of the Elson produced albums more than the Shirley.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:12 am

Generations could not be saved by any producer.
This is the only Journey album, pre or post perry that I find 1/2 the songs not just bad, but even cringe worthy.

Still the 2 deen songs and a place in your heart is classic Journey.
a man, well, he'll walk right into hell with both eyes open. But even the devil can't fool a dog!"
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:59 pm

Regarding Generations.... there is some valid material on there. Specifically, Faith in the Heartland, Place in Your Heart, Better Life, Never Too Late. Better Together is more of a B-side rocker. Knowing That You Love Me is typical inoffensive Cain schmaltz. Beyond the Clouds is good. The Ross song Gone Crazy should have been the bonus track instead of Never Too Late. It has a kitsch novelty factor just like Perry doing his best Bob Marley with Baby Im a Leaving You. The 2 Augeri solo tracks, Believe and Butterfly, stop the album's momentum dead in its tracks. They don't belong on there. Pretty much the album should have been split between Augeri and Deen. Lose the Cain, Ross, Neal tracks. Throw in some unused songs from the Arrival sessions and you have another classic. Soul Sirkus was Neal's priority during Gens and it's obvious. The track selection and the sequencing leaves a lot to be desired. Not having a solid follow-up to Arrival is the biggest missed opportunity of the SA years.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby slucero » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:18 pm

FamilyMan wrote:Let's be honest. The late great George Martin himself couldn't have saved Generations from itself. It was the material, more than the mastering. There are two or three really good songs, but that's it.

No amount of mastering can save any mix. The mix has to be great to begin with.

Mastering is simply polishing what is already there.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby annie89509 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:18 pm

I rather enjoyed all the songs on Generations…even the musical chairs lead singer turns .. haha. Of course, even to my layman’s ears, I can tell the production quality is way below standard compared to any of the other Journey albums. This was, after all, a freebie giveaway. The songs, though, had a certain charm to them. I liked listening to Gen more so than Arrival, which (to me) was too long and drawn out...a few good songs, but mainly cookie-cutter ballads.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:44 pm

annie89509 wrote: This was, after all, a freebie giveaway.

True, but it was later sold retail by Sanctuary (now defunct) with a few bonus tracks. You could also argue that the "free" cd was built into the cost of the concert tickets. The expectations were high to follow-up Arrival, and Gens was a huge let down. Too much filler. Not focused at all.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:55 am

tater1977 wrote:- off subject a tad -

Kevin Shirley posted on his FB...

https://www.facebook.com/kevthecave?fref=photo

tbt 20 years ago - "TRIAL BY FIRE" - having fun with Journey - Steve Perry (Journey), Neal Schon, Ross Valory Leslie Langlo Millis
ps Gutted by Prince's death - only posting because I am packing to move, and I keep coming across old photos. K

20 years ago.jpg

Anyone remember the stories of Perry getting upset during the TBF recording and throwing a fire extinguisher? Monker, weigh in here.
The_Noble_Cause
Super Audio CD

Postby lparn » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:01 pm

Was glad to see Arnel rerecord place in your heart and faith in the heartland those 2 never too late and knowing that you love me were classic Journey songs. I don't think I have listened to the rest in years
lparn
45 RPM

Return to Journey