Backup Singer?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Backup Singer?

Postby DK23 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:05 am

I was watching this video on YouTube and noticed that it appears Journey has a backup singer/keyboardist assisting the band on stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFG0GBRww7E You can get a better look at him around the 5:40 mark.

Does anybody know who this is or if it is permanent?
DK23
Ol' 78

Re: Backup Singer?

Postby UncleKG » Thu May 12, 2016 2:28 am

From other forum posts, it appears his name is Travis Thibodaux. Several of his Facebook posts mention he's playing with Journey.
UncleKG
LP

Postby DK23 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:36 am

Oh okay, didn't know it was on other posts. My bad! Thanks for the information though :D
DK23
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Thu May 12, 2016 3:32 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwusFWnuplc

He is there for the high notes. Smartly they don't want to fry Pinedas voice.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 12, 2016 8:35 am

scarab wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwusFWnuplc

He is there for the high notes. Smartly they don't want to fry Pinedas voice.

I'm not sure why he's there to be honest. Arnel is more higher pitched. And so was Deen. Travis is good, but for Journey you need to be superman.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu May 12, 2016 8:40 am

DK23 wrote:I was watching this video on YouTube and noticed that it appears Journey has a backup singer/keyboardist assisting the band on stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFG0GBRww7E You can get a better look at him around the 5:40 mark.

No word if it's permanent. Travis mentioned on his website that he knew Cain from Nashville and Cain called him. Maybe Travis and Neal can write some new rock material on the road since Cain now thinks he's Jim Baker.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby tj » Thu May 12, 2016 10:30 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
DK23 wrote:I was watching this video on YouTube and noticed that it appears Journey has a backup singer/keyboardist assisting the band on stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFG0GBRww7E You can get a better look at him around the 5:40 mark.

No word if it's permanent. Travis mentioned on his website that he knew Cain from Nashville and Cain called him. Maybe Travis and Neal can write some new rock material on the road since Cain now thinks he's Jim Baker.

This video is dated about a month ago. Is he still play the little casio keyboard these days? It just looks like amateur hour. Though I do like the album cover backdrop.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby JohnH » Thu May 12, 2016 3:38 pm

I think that might be an Alesis controller - guessing really hard to read it. Not really top of the line stuff but a lot of people are running soft synths off Main Stage these days- including Toto, so what you see isn't really what you are getting. You can plug a cheap $100 keyboard into a laptop and sound like a $4000 synth.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby tedpruitt » Thu May 12, 2016 11:22 pm

It's a Roland Juno - Juno rack mounts made up a lot of Cain's 80's synth sounds.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JunoDS88
tedpruitt
Radio Waves

Postby JohnH » Fri May 13, 2016 11:21 am

Thanks , should have went with my instincts thought I saw the Roland logo- I screen shot the video so hard to read.
JohnH
8 Track

Postby tj » Fri May 13, 2016 1:24 pm

I still think it looks amateur. Sort of like if you put Smith out there with just a snare, bass drum and one cymbal. Smith could tear it up with just that, but it would look ridiculous. When you have a large stage, you need a large presence. Imagine if Cain were out there with nothing but a Keytar. Oh, wait...
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby ebake02 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:53 am

Maybe they hired him to stand on stage and look interested since Cain doesn't really give a shit anymore. And what's up with their tiny ass bar band stage set up?
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Eric » Sat May 14, 2016 10:16 am

ebake02 wrote:Maybe they hired him to stand on stage and look interested since Cain doesn't really give a shit anymore. And what's up with their tiny ass bar band stage set up?

I was going to comment that after watching the clips from last night's tour opener it looked like their biggest stage ever....
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Sat May 14, 2016 12:41 pm

Eric wrote:
ebake02 wrote:Maybe they hired him to stand on stage and look interested since Cain doesn't really give a shit anymore. And what's up with their tiny ass bar band stage set up?

I was going to comment that after watching the clips from last night's tour opener it looked like their biggest stage ever....

This:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=STHKFlO-zBw
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Sat May 14, 2016 2:02 pm

Fags, that is why I quit going to see them in 2008 when they ran a half step down. Go see Night Ranger instead.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby steveo777 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:56 pm

Aaron wrote:Fags, that is why I quit going to see them in 2008 when they ran a half step down. Go see Night Ranger instead.

You can't say "Fags" anymore. Go watch Archie Bunker. :mrgreen:
steveo777
MP3

Return to Journey