Hard to believe it's been 10 years

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Hard to believe it's been 10 years

Postby tj » Tue May 17, 2016 11:47 am

I was watching YouTube videos this evening and watched several with JSS in Journey. It's hard for me to believe that it has been 10 years since he was in the band. His style, intonation, and so much more is different than SP, Augeri, Deen and Arnel, but I am still very impressed with his handling of the catalog. Great stage presence. A great singer singing great songs.
tj
Cassette Tape

Re: Hard to believe it's been 10 years

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed May 18, 2016 1:05 am

tj wrote:I was watching YouTube videos this evening and watched several with JSS in Journey. It's hard for me to believe that it has been 10 years since he was in the band. His style, intonation, and so much more is different than SP, Augeri, Deen and Arnel, but I am still very impressed with his handling of the catalog. Great stage presence. A great singer singing great songs.

Soul Sirkus is an awesome album. Neal should reach out to JSS, make amends, and start writing some new tunes. Both Chickenfoot and SS spun-off from the supergroup, PlanetUS. Compare the two and there's no comparison. Chickenfoot is very weak (even more so compared to the last DLR VH album). Neal infused alot of great melodies for SS and JSS added lyrics and soul. Great chemistry. Let Cain go pretend he's Joel Osteen, as Schon/JSS write some new kick-ass tunes for Journey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7nEBUHLSYQ
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby tj » Wed May 18, 2016 2:47 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
tj wrote:I was watching YouTube videos this evening and watched several with JSS in Journey. It's hard for me to believe that it has been 10 years since he was in the band. His style, intonation, and so much more is different than SP, Augeri, Deen and Arnel, but I am still very impressed with his handling of the catalog. Great stage presence. A great singer singing great songs.

Soul Sirkus is an awesome album. Neal should reach out to JSS, make amends, and start writing some new tunes. Both Chickenfoot and SS spun-off from the supergroup, PlanetUS. Compare the two and there's no comparison. Chickenfoot is very weak (even more so compared to the last DLR VH album). Neal infused alot of great melodies for SS and JSS added lyrics and soul. Great chemistry. Let Cain go pretend he's Joel Osteen, as Schon/JSS write some new kick-ass tunes for Journey!

Do you think Cain would move on and let Neal keep Journey going without him?
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby FamilyMan » Wed May 18, 2016 2:52 am

tj wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Do you think Cain would move on and let Neal keep Journey going without him?

Jon's not going anywhere.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby tj » Wed May 18, 2016 2:55 am

I don't expect him to go anywhere right now. But at some point life on the road has to end, whether it is due to health reasons or just emotionally/mentally time to call it quits.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby koberry » Wed May 18, 2016 3:19 am

As the years go by, Neal generally seems to have developed an ability to patch up and rebuild strained relations with other musicians. The burned bridge between JSS and he really stands out. JSS is a good guy and really saved the Band's bacon. The way he was treated makes little sense to me.
koberry
45 RPM

Postby tj » Wed May 18, 2016 3:35 am

koberry wrote:As the years go by, Neal generally seems to have developed an ability to patch up and rebuild strained relations with other musicians. The burned bridge between JSS and he really stands out. JSS is a good guy and really saved the Band's bacon. The way he was treated makes little sense to me.

I am not sure about Neal's ability to patch strained relationships, not saying he doesn't, just don't know. He does seem to have a way of poorly handling things though. The JSS debacle reflects poorly on all of the band members as well as the manager. I get that it isn't easy to tell someone they are fired, especially after they came in and bailed out your company. But man up, grow a pair and tell them.

I have personally fired good friends over the years who were not meeting the expectations of their job. It's hard. Frequently there were tears (mine included). The relationship is never the same. But if it has to be done, and you value the person, you do the hard work. Even if you have the manager do it because you can't find the words, you sit at the table and own it. Anything less shows what kind of person you really are.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed May 18, 2016 7:35 am

tj wrote:Do you think Cain would move on and let Neal keep Journey going without him?

It's Neal's band. At this point, Cain just shows up for a paycheck. Perry gets paid as if he is physically present on stage. And Cain gets paid, even tho he clearly would rather be working on his back swing.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed May 18, 2016 7:40 am

FamilyMan wrote:Jon's not going anywhere.

Cain's not a team player. He actively degraded Eclipse in the media and openly says he doesn't have any interest in new Journey material. He was against Neal having Rolie play Journey tunes on the recent Sanatana mini-tour. When it comes to Journey being a thriving musical entity, Cain has been a stick in the mud since Arrival flopped. Time for him to go chase his solo dreams of being Jesus Christ Superstar.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Wed May 18, 2016 9:48 am

I love both Soul Sircus and Chickenfoot. I think if they took the best songs from the two Chickenfoot albums, they would have a very solid album.

I have been listening to Santana IV like crazy and you can tell there is extra energy. The same can be said for Soul Sircus. Journey needs to do a new album and bring some extra energy.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby tj » Wed May 18, 2016 10:11 am

JourneyHard wrote:I love both Soul Sircus and Chickenfoot. I think if they took the best songs from the two Chickenfoot albums, they would have a very solid album.

I have been listening to Santana IV like crazy and you can tell there is extra energy. The same can be said for Soul Sircus. Journey needs to do a new album and bring some extra energy.

I don't know how many movie soundtracks are available or what would be a good fit for Journey, though Open Arms on the Heavy Metal Soundtrack still seems odd to me, but releasing an occasional song that way wouldn't be a bad idea. I liked Remember Me from the Armageddon soundtrack. One of the better post-Perry songs IMO.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby koberry » Wed May 18, 2016 10:49 pm

tj wrote:
koberry wrote:As the years go by, Neal generally seems to have developed an ability to patch up and rebuild strained relations with other musicians. The burned bridge between JSS and he really stands out. JSS is a good guy and really saved the Band's bacon. The way he was treated makes little sense to me.

I am not sure about Neal's ability to patch strained relationships, not saying he doesn't, just don't know. He does seem to have a way of poorly handling things though. The JSS debacle reflects poorly on all of the band members as well as the manager. I get that it isn't easy to tell someone they are fired, especially after they came in and bailed out your company. But man up, grow a pair and tell them.

I have personally fired good friends over the years who were not meeting the expectations of their job. It's hard. Frequently there were tears (mine included). The relationship is never the same. But if it has to be done, and you value the person, you do the hard work. Even if you have the manager do it because you can't find the words, you sit at the table and own it. Anything less shows what kind of person you really are.

I'll definitely agree that we really don't know. I have no inside info, nor have I ever met the man personally. Have just been a very long-time fan of him as an artist.

I won't look for any of them now, but he's been quoted repeatedly along the lines of - hey, what seemed important back way back when really isn't anymore. Everyone needs to grow up and let what's in the past be in the past. I'm sure you've read those quotes and know what I mean.

I was speaking from the perspective of a few strained relationships he's seemed to have patched over the years. It's no secret Carlos wanted nothing to do with Abraxas Pool and they all went on without him and recorded. That is one of my favorite records of his, btw. There was some sort of rift there that is now quite visibly patched. Similarly with John Waite after Bad English imploded, yet they later toured and had good things to say about each other. He and Perry seemed to have patched temporarily for TBF and again at the Hollywood event, though now Perry won't even let Neal know his phone number. If I were Neal, I would have been seriously pissed the way Hagar abandoned the PlanetUS project, but they seem to have remained friends.

Contrast that with how the Van Halen brothers have treated Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar. And the long running feud between Ozzy/Sharon and Bob Daisley. Even Dio and Vivien Campbell.
koberry
45 RPM

Postby Abitaman » Sat May 21, 2016 2:37 am

The last Journey show I saw was with JSS in Nashville. Thought he did very good. Band kicked butt. I have not been impressed with AP enough to go see them live.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sat May 21, 2016 7:31 am

Man, I remember that drama like it was yesterday. Arnel made for a better story, but I think the music they would've made with JSS could've been mind-blowing.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey