When does the Journey end?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

When does the Journey end?

Postby tj » Wed May 18, 2016 11:39 am

These guys, except Arnel, are all in their 60s. How much longer do they keep touring? 10 more years? 5? I don't see any of them giving up music, but just wonder at what point this Journey comes to an end as an ongoing group.
tj
Cassette Tape

Re: When does the Journey end?

Postby George_g888 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:57 am

If Perry doesn't come back they should call it quits after 2017
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed May 18, 2016 12:02 pm

It ends when Neal and Jon walk away. Deen always said that they could never replace Arnel. I don't believe that.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed May 18, 2016 12:06 pm

The Journey ends
You've tied your knots
and you've made your friends
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Wed May 18, 2016 12:09 pm

If like Foreigner and Survivor, which have become Menudo, Journey could last forever.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed May 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Yeah, I don't think that Arnel leaving Journey would automatically mean and end of Journey. I could see them continuing on with another singer. However, I do think that Journey will call it quits in the next 3 years or less, even if Arnel is willing/able to continue beyond that.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby FamilyMan » Wed May 18, 2016 9:39 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:Yeah, I don't think that Arnel leaving Journey would automatically mean and end of Journey. I could see them continuing on with another singer. However, I do think that Journey will call it quits in the next 3 years or less, even if Arnel is willing/able to continue beyond that.

Too much cash at stake here, folks. And the road is all Neal has ever known. The band will not "call it quits" until you/we stop going to the shows and the money dries up.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Wed May 18, 2016 9:40 pm

I don't think Journey ever officially ends. It's weird how they are posting some of the highest grossing concert tours each year and everyone is talking the end. The average concert goer doesn't see Jon's disinterest or know really anything about anything. These are non-issues. Journey could always just be, like Queen. Maybe don't play that often, but never truly be disbanded. As long as the corporate world wants to pay $100,000 to hear DSB and the summer crowds want to sing along, or whatever, they will be around. I just don't think you will ever hear of "the end".

I imagine someone asked this same question 5-10 years ago and here they are as active as ever. It's all about how long the public pays. It's their job. It's what pays the bills.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Thu May 19, 2016 1:11 am

With the success of Santana IV, I think Journey will end the way they began. Neal and Gregg will record a new Fusion-style Journey album. So, the last Journey album ever will be just like the first three! :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby tj » Thu May 19, 2016 3:36 am

JourneyHard wrote:With the success of Santana IV, I think Journey will end the way they began. Neal and Gregg will record a new Fusion-style Journey album. So, the last Journey album ever will be just like the first three! :D

Where do Jon and Arnel fit into that vision? I think Arnel would do whatever Neal asked, because he is humble and grateful to participate in the awesomeness that is Journey.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Thu May 19, 2016 4:08 am

Journey will end like the Eagles did.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Thu May 19, 2016 8:41 am

Memorex wrote:Journey will end like the Eagles did.

I can see the Eagles ending with Frey's passing. I think Journey calls it quits when Neal does. Everyone else in the band has had someone else in the role at one time or another over the years, so they're replaceable. Neal is the glue.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Thu May 19, 2016 9:23 am

tj wrote:

I can see the Eagles ending with Frey's passing. I think Journey calls it quits when Neal does. Everyone else in the band has had someone else in the role at one time or another over the years, so they're replaceable. Neal is the glue.

Don Henley confirmed a month or two ago that the Eagles are over. No Glenn, no Eagles. As it should be. And this is how Journey will officially end. Again, it may dwindle down to the occasional show or tour or TV appearance, but there is simply no economical or driving reason to ever say ok, that's it, we are done. Nothing they ever do will surpass this. It's not like they are 40 and starting a new band and never going to play together again. They can do whatever they want and Journey can just always be there as an entity.

Either that or they are blessed to live a lot longer and are forced to retire simply because they can no longer move, after their 4th or 4th final tour. :)

http://music.blog.ajc.com/2016/03/12/don-henley-confirms-the-end-of-the-eagles/
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby marco17 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:10 am

I think it depends how much attention Neal wants to give Journey. If he decides he wants to do more with Santana, then J probably takes a rest and may not get going again unless it's for some one-off type shows, J is cash cow and a business, but these guys all have plenty of money, so touring isn't essential.
marco17
8 Track

Postby FamilyMan » Fri May 20, 2016 3:11 am

marco17 wrote:I think it depends how much attention Neal wants to give Journey. If he decides he wants to do more with Santana, then J probably takes a rest and may not get going again unless it's for some one-off type shows, J is cash cow and a business, but these guys all have plenty of money, so touring isn't essential.

Don't kid yourself. :)
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby tj » Fri May 20, 2016 7:07 am

FamilyMan wrote:
marco17 wrote:I think it depends how much attention Neal wants to give Journey. If he decides he wants to do more with Santana, then J probably takes a rest and may not get going again unless it's for some one-off type shows, J is cash cow and a business, but these guys all have plenty of money, so touring isn't essential.

Don't kid yourself. :)

I agree that if Neal wants a break, they will take one. Money is a pretty strong motivator, though. Especially if they remember what it was like to not have it (as Herbie has alluded to in his interviews) after Perry shut things down for a decade. When you have multiple ex wives and numerous children, plus the taxes that have to get paid on all of the earnings, the number isn't as big as you ever want.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Sat May 21, 2016 2:40 am

That is what I was thinking, but it would be with Neal passing away.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby ebake02 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:15 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:It ends when Neal and Jon walk away. Deen always said that they could never replace Arnel. I don't believe that.

Journey ends when Neal, and only Neal, walks away in my opinion. Jon could walk away tomorrow and they wouldn't really miss a beat, Journey existed before Jon and it would exist after him. Although I honesty don't foresee Jon going anywhere any time soon, I doubt the royalty checks are anywhere near enough to live on. Especially when you consider that he just got divorced a few short years ago, that divorce settlement and alimony payments have to be killer.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon May 23, 2016 11:40 am

ebake02 wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:It ends when Neal and Jon walk away. Deen always said that they could never replace Arnel. I don't believe that.

Journey ends when Neal, and only Neal, walks away in my opinion. Jon could walk away tomorrow and they wouldn't really miss a beat, Journey existed before Jon and it would exist after him.

But what if Jon asks Journey to not crack the stone? :P :lol:
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Mon May 23, 2016 3:01 pm

Journey ends after the 2017 Tour with Santana. Carlos will talk Perry in to returning for this mega-tour. :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Archetype » Tue May 24, 2016 6:40 am

I don't doubt that Neal will keep Journey alive in one form or another until he's physically unable to play a guitar anymore.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey