Prepare to Argue: Top 75 Journey Songs

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Prepare to Argue: Top 75 Journey Songs

Postby tj » Fri May 27, 2016 8:24 am

It's raining. I'm bored. So, I compiled my top Journey songs, in order, from 1 - 75. A few thoughts on what went into it:

* I only considered the albums from Infinity forward. I have never been a fan of the first 3 albums, so don't give them much thought.
* It's my list, open to criticism and ridicule (just no need to be an A-hole in your criticism). :D
* Nothing is absolute, within a range of about 5 places on the list I could be persuaded to move something up or down.
* Yes, Wheel in the Sky and Lights really are that far down my list.
* Like many people, hearing most of these songs causes a specific memory to come to mind (of a place, person, event, etc. in my life). Thus, their significance on the list more than others.
* I originally listed every recorded Journey song, but the list was too long. At my age, I couldn't remember half of them (particularly the post Perry stuff), so if they weren't at least memorable, they got booted from my list.

TJ's top Journey Songs list:

1 Don't Stop Believin'
2 Separate Ways
3 Ask The Lonely
4 Only The Young
5 Any Way You Want It
6 Who's Cryin' Now
7 Stone In Love
8 Send Her My Love
9 Faithfully
10 Be Good To Yourself
11 Patiently
12 Feeling That Way
13 Escape
14 Higher Place
15 Place in Your Heart
16 People And Places
17 Suzanne
18 Message Of Love
19 Why Can't This Night Go On Forever
20 Girl Can't Help It
21 Anytime
22 Precious Time
23 Open Arms
24 Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'
25 Walks Like A Lady
26 Sweet And Simple
27 Just The Same Way
28 Never Walk Away
29 The Party's Over (Hopelessly In Love)
30 Dixie Highway
31 Wheel In The Sky
32 Stay Awhile
33 I'll Be Alright Without You
34 Do You Recall
35 Faith in the Heartland
36 Still They Ride
37 Where Were You
38 When You Love A Woman
39 Raised On Radio
40 La Do Da
41 City Of The Angels
42 Keep On Runnin'
43 Majestic
44 When You're Alone (It Ain't Easy)
45 Mother Father
46 Lovin' You Is Easy
47 After All These Years
48 Can't Tame The Lion
49 Lay It Down
50 Where Did I Lose Your Love
51 Easy To Fall
51 Lights
52 Line Of Fire
53 Positive Touch
54 Too Late
55 When I Think Of You
56 What It Takes To Win
57 After The Fall
58 Daydream
59 Departure
60 Every Generation
61 If He Should Break Your Heart
62 Lady Luck
63 Someday Soon
64 Somethin' To Hide
65 The Eyes Of A Woman
66 Homemade Love
67 All That Really Matters
68 Dead Or Alive
69 To Be Alive Again
70 Knowing That You Love Me
71 Good Morning Girl
72 Chain Reaction
73 All The Way
74 Only Solutions
75 Still She Cries
tj
Cassette Tape

Re: Prepare to Argue: Top 75 Journey Songs

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri May 27, 2016 8:53 am

I would remove "Every Generation", "Raised on Radio", and "What It Takes to Win" from your list. They don't deserve to be on there.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby tj » Fri May 27, 2016 9:10 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:I would remove "Every Generation", "Raised on Radio", and "What It Takes to Win" from your list. They don't deserve to be on there.

I could lose Every Generation and What it takes to win. What do you replace them with? I listened to ROR the summer it came out. It was one of two CDs that played during the intermission between showings of Top Gun. The other was Phil Collin's No Jacket Required.

I worked at the movie theater that summer and saw Top Gun more than 150 times. The movie print was a special 70mm which had a tendency to come off of the threader. When that happened, it would tear the film. My job was to sit there, day in and day out, 40 hours a week and be prepared to throw the kill switch if it misthreaded.

The song ROR always made me think of John Mellencamp's R.O.C.K. in the USA. I doubt that either was inspired by the other, as they came out about the same time, but both paid tribute to the great 60's music.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Sat May 28, 2016 12:54 am

Top Ten Journey Albums

1. Escape
2. Frontiers
3. Infinity
4. Evolution
5. Look Into The Future
6. Departure
7. Eclipse
8. Journey
9. Trial By Fire
10. Raised On Radio

Let's see if this gets the debate started.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat May 28, 2016 1:39 am

I'm taking the easy route, and saying the Time3 box set on shuffle mode. :wink:
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Sat May 28, 2016 2:26 am

I would move When You Love a Woman a lot farther up the list, as well as Mother Father.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby MysteryMountain » Sat May 28, 2016 6:12 am

tj wrote:It's raining. I'm bored. So, I compiled my top Journey songs, in order, from 1 - 75. A few thoughts on what went into it:

* I only considered the albums from Infinity forward. I have never been a fan of the first 3 albums, so don't give them much thought.

This is where I stopped reading.
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Postby tj » Sat May 28, 2016 6:30 am

MysteryMountain wrote:
tj wrote:It's raining. I'm bored. So, I compiled my top Journey songs, in order, from 1 - 75. A few thoughts on what went into it:

Then you missed out. A lot of great songs on this list. :)
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby MysteryMountain » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:10 pm

tj wrote:
MysteryMountain wrote:

Then you missed out. A lot of great songs on this list. :)

Oh for sure. But I can't buy into a 'top 75' Journey song list without including anything from my favorite era of the band. Therefore this list is entirely incomplete and shame on you for only recognizing the 'pop singer' era when doing so. :D
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:53 pm

MysteryMountain wrote:Oh for sure. But I can't buy into a 'top 75' Journey song list without including anything from my favorite era of the band. Therefore this list is entirely incomplete and shame on you for only recognizing the 'pop singer' era when doing so. :D

I keep going back to those first three albums more and more. Still holds up. Would love for Rolie and Neal to do another album like that. Call it Journey IV and pick up where Next left off.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby MysteryMountain » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:20 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
MysteryMountain wrote:Oh for sure. But I can't buy into a 'top 75' Journey song list without including anything from my favorite era of the band. Therefore this list is entirely incomplete and shame on you for only recognizing the 'pop singer' era when doing so. :D

I keep going back to those first three albums more and more. Still holds up. Would love for Rolie and Neal to do another album like that. Call it Journey IV and pick up where Next left off.

That would be awesome.
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Postby SF-Dano » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:02 am

MysteryMountain wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

That would be awesome.

By my quick count we are currently on Journey Mark X. :lol: Regardless, I think that GR and NS teaming up again to do a more instrumental based album would be freakin cool. 8) Bring on JRNY XI.
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby DK23 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:49 am

TJ, I'm curious to find out what was the last song you listed when you originally ranked all of Journey's catalog
DK23
Ol' 78

Postby tj » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:39 pm

DK23 wrote:TJ, I'm curious to find out what was the last song you listed when you originally ranked all of Journey's catalog

I don't know. I downloaded a list of all of their songs by album off a website and pasted it into excel. I gave every song a 1 to 5 rating. I sorted based on that and then ranked within the category. I think the top 75 songs had at least a 3 rating. I cut and pasted the top 75 list into here and didn't save the file. Are you wondering what I think is the worst Journey song of all time?
tj
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey