Nothin' But a Heartache - lost ROR track?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Nothin' But a Heartache - lost ROR track?

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:55 am

Anyone familiar with this track? I came across it today. I though I was familiar with most of the available 'hard to find tracks' from the ROR sessions, but don't believe I've ever heard this one...assuming it is from the ROR sessions, that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwbYHG6QHvo
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Re: Nothin' But a Heartache - lost ROR track?

Postby scarab » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:25 am

I remember an interview with Perry saying that RoR recording started in late 1984.
He said Schon and Cain started writing song for the next record before he came back.
Sometime in 1985 he decided to fire Smith and Valory and the whole album was rerecorded.
Herbie said that some songs were dropped, including one that sounded more like a Scorpions song.

My guess is that this is a ROR song. Sounds the same groove as With a Tear, another RoR demo
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:21 am

scarab wrote:I remember an interview with Perry saying that RoR recording started in late 1984.
He said Schon and Cain started writing song for the next record before he came back.
Sometime in 1985 he decided to fire Smith and Valory and the whole album was rerecorded.
Herbie said that some songs were dropped, including one that sounded more like a Scorpions song.

My guess is that this is a ROR song. Sounds the same groove as With a Tear, another RoR demo

I recall they cut "Sea of Emotions" off Arrival because someone felt it sounded too much like the Scorpions? Here is the final product from Blades solo album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxBENATJaXg
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:41 pm

Eric wrote:I recall they cut "Sea of Emotions" off Arrival because someone felt it sounded too much like the Scorpions? Here is the final product from Blades solo album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxBENATJaXg

As discussed over the years, so many good Arrival tracks did not make the cut. Kalodner at Sony is an idiot.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:51 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Anyone familiar with this track? I came across it today. I though I was familiar with most of the available 'hard to find tracks' from the ROR sessions, but don't believe I've ever heard this one...assuming it is from the ROR sessions, that is.

Has the same motown rock sound as "Ask the Lonely." Shame they never recorded it.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby SoonerThunder » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:20 am

Beats the hell out of Suzanne.

But then again, what doesn't?
SoonerThunder
Radio Waves

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:49 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Anyone familiar with this track? I came across it today. I though I was familiar with most of the available 'hard to find tracks' from the ROR sessions, but don't believe I've ever heard this one...assuming it is from the ROR sessions, that is.

Has the same motown rock sound as "Ask the Lonely." Shame they never recorded it.

Yeah, that's a good comparison. I also hear similarities to Let It Rock You. They're both also similar to those old Budweiser commercials that the band recorded. Both tunes are almost there, but not quite up to par to have been on a Journey album. My bet is the band just ran out of steam on them creatively, took them as far as they could...which is why they got left behind.
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:06 am

anyone have the demo someone somewhere, or something like that?
used to have it on cd, but lost it long ago, and it is no longer on youtube.

sounds like another ROR demo
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:31 am

scarab wrote:anyone have the demo someone somewhere, or something like that?
used to have it on cd, but lost it long ago, and it is no longer on youtube.

sounds like another ROR demo

I think that one was a Perry/Strange Medicine demo.
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey