New Deen Interview - June 25

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

New Deen Interview - June 25

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:20 am

Sounds like he's in a good place. Jonathan also a big part of the interview. Deen touches upon Revolution Saints, Smitty, and what his future holds.

Good read.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/deen-cas ... t-articles
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: New Deen Interview - June 25

Postby Archetype » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:27 am

Soo, he says he's not ready yet, but if says if god opens that door, he'll open that door. Deen goes on to say that if someone asks him, he wouldn't do it. Wouldn't someone asking him, from his perspective, be god opening the door?

Banter aside, it's awesome to see him doing so well. Also impressed with how it appears that Journey gave him a generous severance package to help with the healing process. Also really cool to see how well him and Jonathan are getting along. I always sort of thought that those two were the most distant members of Journey with Deen being more on the Neal side of things, but obviously not the case.

What I'm taking between the lines in this closing paragraph is that he wants to work again but doesn't want to completely admit it for whatever reason.

“When it’s time, the doors will open and I’m certainly not forcing them open. I’m not begging for work,” he concludes. “If somebody wants to work with me and give me a chance, I’ve got stacks of documented urinalysis [tests] from Hazelden. I signed up for that Hazelden Connections program. For 18 months, they do random tests on you and every one of them have been negative. I’ve got a stack of them. So if anybody does ask me and go, ‘Well, we don’t know if you’re really sober,’ I’m going to bring in a wheelbarrow full of tests and go, ‘Here, look through them all. If you see anything positive, let me know.’ But it’s been good. Thank God for that program. And I’m probably going to sign up for another 18 months after this 18 months is up. I just like the accountability.”
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:26 am

He's incredibly fortunate to be able financially to go to treatment and take a year off to stay sober. Most people don't have the money to be able to do that and fall right back into the old habits. I am glad that he is doing well. I hope that he is able to stay that way for the long haul.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:09 pm

He seems to be happy and healthy, and looking forward to working again. I hope he gets a chance, he has a talent that shouldn't be left on the shelf. I can understand that it would be hard for him to go to a Journey show, after that long with the band it must be hard to see someone else there, even if it is Smitty.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby FamilyMan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:56 am

If I were advising Deen, I'd say skip that Journey gig in your hometown. It's bound to open up old wounds and liable to fill him with regret. Live for the future - Deen - not the past. You're in a good place. Maybe in a few years you can really enjoy the show without the mixed emotions. It doesn't sound like you're ready.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:24 am

FamilyMan wrote:If I were advising Deen, I'd say skip that Journey gig in your hometown. It's bound to open up old wounds and liable to fill him with regret. Live for the future - Deen - not the past. You're in a good place. Maybe in a few years you can really enjoy the show without the mixed emotions. It doesn't sound like you're ready.

There is something to be said for facing challenges and moving past them. Changing the bitter-sweet to just sweet. I say go, enjoy it, don't over-think it. Embrace that you can. If it's too hard, then maybe progress isn't being made all that well. It's facing your life and saying the old me caused this situation, but the new me can't pay for that forever.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Marabelle » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:00 am

Glad to hear he is actively working the program. Some things you have to give up forever and that's the hard part accepting and realizing your life has changed. You can't return to old habits and haunts, living in the past with old memories; in those places all the ugliness lies awaiting you in the shadows.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:14 pm

thanks for posting this.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey