Jason Scheff wants Journey & Chicago to tour

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Jason Scheff wants Journey & Chicago to tour

Postby George_g888 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:55 am

http://www.chicagotheband.com/chicagos- ... interview/
This interview was from Feb. of 2016.

Interviewer:You guys have toured with a lot of different bands like the Doobie Brothers and REO Speedwagon, is there anybody out there that you would like to tour with that you haven’t?

JS: Journey! Arnel is my buddy and Jonathan Cain is a very good friend of mine. Our managers have been trying to work it out and I will continue to try because I believe that would be a phenomenal tour! I believe that we have proven with Earth, Wind and Fire that the package tour doesn’t have to be genre specific. I’ve heard from their camp that Journey really considers themselves a rock band. But let’s not forget something; Journey is a huge ballad band! I’m going on record, if we can put together a tour like that, you watch and see how successful it is. Because the common ground are those power ballads!

IDK if this will actually happen, cause we all know how much Neal wants Journey and Santana to tour.. But what do you guys think?
George_g888
Ol' 78

Re: Jason Scheff wants Journey & Chicago to tour

Postby tj » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:16 am

I would be surprised if Neal would go for it because I doubt that he wants Journey to be known as a "power ballad band".
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:16 am

I like some of Chicago's songs, and it's cool to see that he wants to have Chicago tour with Journey.

But to be honest, that tour wouldn't excite me.

Santana are just about the only band that I really want to see tour with Journey anymore.

If they're not going to tour with Santana, then I'd rather see Journey tour alone at this point. Especially if it's an evening with Journey type thing, like they did during the Generations tour.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:21 am

maybe Air Supply could be the opening act. :roll:
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Archetype » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:42 am

I'd like to see Journey tour with some of the younger melodic rock bands. Maybe Work of Art.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:33 am

Instead of Chicago, why doesn't Journey tour with Boston?
JourneyHard
LP

Postby scarab » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:28 am

Or pick a local up and coming rock band and give them a shot in each city. Didnt Bon Jovi do that?
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:13 am

scarab wrote:Or pick a local up and coming rock band and give them a shot in each city. Didnt Bon Jovi do that?

I think this is a great idea....local bands could use the exposure.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:14 pm

scarab wrote:maybe Air Supply could be the opening act. :roll:

That's like assuming all of Journey's songs are like "Faithfully" ...
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby FamilyMan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:46 am

JourneyHard wrote:Instead of Chicago, why doesn't Journey tour with Boston?

Boston is unrecognizable now in its current lineup.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby Monker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:54 pm

This would have been interesting 15yrs ago, not so much now. Chicago has drifted a bit into obscurity after the "Stone of Sysiphus" turned into "Night and Day" and losing the support of any label. Then they had a bit of a revolving door for lead guitarist for a while and I think some key members left the band. And, Journey seems more interested in touring with harder rock bands than nostalgic pop bands.

But, back around the Arrival days, Chicago would have been a great choice for an opening band....just not now.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:49 pm

Monker wrote: And, Journey seems more interested in touring with harder rock bands than nostalgic pop bands.

Tower of Power and Doobie Bros are harder rock bands? Imho, Journey will tour with whoever Azoff lines them up with.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:10 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote: And, Journey seems more interested in touring with harder rock bands than nostalgic pop bands.

Tower of Power and Doobie Bros are harder rock bands? Imho, Journey will tour with whoever Azoff lines them up with.

The Doobies I get. They had balls before Michael McDonald showed up on the scene, and Tommy Johnston is still a favorite to see for the old fans. TOP...not so much. Although I've seen them before and they are a solid band and I do love a lot of their stuff, just not a great act for Journey in my opinion.

Chicago - definitely not. The comparison that Jason gave of them touring with Earth, Wind and Fire doesn't apply with Journey. EWF and Chicago shared a common thread – a solid horn section. Maybe they should reach out to TOP instead!

Had times and circumstances been different, and Terry Kath were still alive and Danny Ceraphine were still with Chicago, maybe that could have worked with Journey. They were the soul of that band. But the current version of Chicago...I just don't see it.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:35 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
The Doobies I get. They had balls before Michael McDonald showed up on the scene, and Tommy Johnston is still a favorite to see for the old fans. TOP...not so much. Although I've seen them before and they are a solid band and I do love a lot of their stuff, just not a great act for Journey in my opinion.

Chicago - definitely not. The comparison that Jason gave of them touring with Earth, Wind and Fire doesn't apply with Journey. EWF and Chicago shared a common thread – a solid horn section. Maybe they should reach out to TOP instead!

Had times and circumstances been different, and Terry Kath were still alive and Danny Ceraphine were still with Chicago, maybe that could have worked with Journey. They were the soul of that band. But the current version of Chicago...I just don't see it.

Of all the groups Journey toured with in the US (Foreigner, REO, Styx, Def Leppard, Steve Miller, etc), Leppard would probably be the hardest, which is still pretty soft. Overseas, they have tried to tour with some harder acts.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:42 pm

tj wrote:I would be surprised if Neal would go for it because I doubt that he wants Journey to be known as a "power ballad band".

Promoting and emphasizing the power ballads would make a Journey/Chicago tour work, but that isn't the direction either band wants to mostly be known for. They do share in common a very deep history with different lead singers, but unfortunately known narrowly by the masses for a relatively few number of early-mid 80's hits. Both also are seasoned vets who put on tremendous live shows.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:13 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

Of all the groups Journey toured with in the US (Foreigner, REO, Styx, Def Leppard, Steve Miller, etc), Leppard would probably be the hardest, which is still pretty soft. Overseas, they have tried to tour with some harder acts.

That brings up a good point...are they more popular overseas for their heavier material, as opposed to the power ballads in the states? I know that the ballads were huge in Japan (there is even a Sony-released Japanese compilation called The Ballade), but I never really heard what material of theirs were most popular elsewhere.
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:15 am

Eric wrote:
tj wrote:I would be surprised if Neal would go for it because I doubt that he wants Journey to be known as a "power ballad band".

Promoting and emphasizing the power ballads would make a Journey/Chicago tour work, but that isn't the direction either band wants to mostly be known for. They do share in common a very deep history with different lead singers, but unfortunately known narrowly by the masses for a relatively few number of early-mid 80's hits. Both also are seasoned vets who put on tremendous live shows.

That is the challenge. The masses know Chicago particularly for the ballads. Even at the HOF introduction for them, Rob Thomas I think it was, said that they were known to a lot of people as your mother's music - but if they were your mother's music, he wanted to date your mother (or something like that) in reference to their deeper catalog.

I think people who go for the ballads would be surprised and have a great time with both bands' music.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:25 am

tj wrote:
Eric wrote:

That is the challenge. The masses know Chicago particularly for the ballads. Even at the HOF introduction for them, Rob Thomas I think it was, said that they were known to a lot of people as your mother's music - but if they were your mother's music, he wanted to date your mother (or something like that) in reference to their deeper catalog.

I think people who go for the ballads would be surprised and have a great time with both bands' music.

Unfortunately, a lot of their heavier, deeper catalog was due to Terry Kath. He was a real mofo on the guitar, and was even told so by Hendrix. Once Kath passed, the band lost a lot of their soul and grit.
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:00 am

Art Vandelay wrote: Unfortunately, a lot of their heavier, deeper catalog was due to Terry Kath. He was a real mofo on the guitar, and was even told so by Hendrix. Once Kath passed, the band lost a lot of their soul and grit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEqRTZcisos
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:41 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

10yrs ago, you would be right, nowadays, I think Neal would do something else.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:43 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

'And, all of those are harder rock than Chicago.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Monker » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:46 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Exactly....even prior to "NIght and Day", when they were fighting the label to get their non-Diane Warren songs on their album, that would have been a good match. Today, meh. Chicago would be better off with Little River Band, or something like that and doing small venues.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:59 am

Monker wrote:'And, all of those are harder rock than Chicago.

When you're already touring with Tower of Power, you may as well tour with Earth Wind & Fire or Chicago. Makes absolutely ZERO difference. It's like saying Billy Joel is more "harder rock" than Elton John. Neither rock and it's a distinction without difference.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:26 am

Eric wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote: Unfortunately, a lot of their heavier, deeper catalog was due to Terry Kath. He was a real mofo on the guitar, and was even told so by Hendrix. Once Kath passed, the band lost a lot of their soul and grit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEqRTZcisos

Hey man, thanks for sharing this!
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby DracIsBack » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:23 am

Monker wrote:But, back around the Arrival days, Chicago would have been a great choice for an opening band....just not now.

Yeah - Chicago would *NEVER* have been an opening act for journey. Their egos wouldn't have allowed it.

Reality is also - if Journey has "the dirty dozen", Chicago has the dirty "three dozen". Both bands can still go out and play to venues with thousands on their own, and 10,000 or more when paired with a similar band.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:26 am

Monker wrote:

REO Speedwagon is 'harder rock' than Chicago?
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby tj » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:11 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:'And, all of those are harder rock than Chicago.

When you're already touring with Tower of Power, you may as well tour with Earth Wind & Fire or Chicago. Makes absolutely ZERO difference. It's like saying Billy Joel is more "harder rock" than Elton John. Neither rock and it's a distinction without difference.

Agreed. In 1986 Glass Tiger opened for Journey in OKC. Some of the pairings then and now still cause me to shake my head.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:13 am

DracIsBack wrote:
Monker wrote:

REO Speedwagon is 'harder rock' than Chicago?

After about 1975, yes. Chicago has some intermittent harder songs deep in their albums, but not any hits. REO had ballads in the mid to late 80's, but when I think of their music what stands out is the harder stuff. Not so much for Chicago.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:18 am

DracIsBack wrote:
Monker wrote:But, back around the Arrival days, Chicago would have been a great choice for an opening band....just not now.

Yeah - Chicago would *NEVER* have been an opening act for journey. Their egos wouldn't have allowed it.

Reality is also - if Journey has "the dirty dozen", Chicago has the dirty "three dozen". Both bands can still go out and play to venues with thousands on their own, and 10,000 or more when paired with a similar band.

Chicago's challenge is that at almost 70 years of age, the 4 remaining original members have difficulty with stamina over a long show. The horn players frequently have substitutes playing for them at shows. Bobby Lamm is the only original member who is always on the road. But no one notices, or maybe cares, that it isn't the original horn players. They spread the lead vocals around Lamm, Scheff, Keith Howland (guitar) and Lou Pardini (keyboards). This takes the stress off any one singer.

They played with REO, Doobies, EWF and someone else (I can't remember who right now) over the past few years. Both bands would play on a couple of each others' songs. In one video, Kevin Cronin of REO appears to be reading lyrics to a Chicago song from a piece of paper in his hand. Sort of funny.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:21 am

tj wrote:
DracIsBack wrote:

Chicago's challenge is that at almost 70 years of age, the 4 remaining original members have difficulty with stamina over a long show. The horn players frequently have substitutes playing for them at shows. Bobby Lamm is the only original member who is always on the road. But no one notices, or maybe cares, that it isn't the original horn players. They spread the lead vocals around Lamm, Scheff, Keith Howland (guitar) and Lou Pardini (keyboards). This takes the stress off any one singer.

They played with REO, Doobies, EWF and someone else (I can't remember who right now) over the past few years. Both bands would play on a couple of each others' songs. In one video, Kevin Cronin of REO appears to be reading lyrics to a Chicago song from a piece of paper in his hand. Sort of funny.

They toured with Hall & Oates some years ago, which worked for them. Although, they were on fire with the Beachago tours that they did in the early 70s with The Beach Boys. Those were pretty damn awesome.
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Journey