Jason Scheff wants Journey & Chicago to tour

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Jason Scheff wants Journey & Chicago to tour

Postby Memorex » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:44 am

scarab wrote:Even though I have not been to a Journey concert since JSS. (Mainly because of the setlist), when Schon bails, I guarantee even if Cain is still there (which I doubt) Journey is done. Arnel will probably be happy as hell to go back to his Family in Manila and do his own thing, Smith will b long gone, Rolie aint gonna come back. So all that remain will be Valory.

A Valory fronted Journey? :lol:

I was looking at Ross and I could see, here's a guy that just wanted his band back. And then I thought, who gives a shit?
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:23 am

Monker wrote:
scarab wrote:For some reason the fake LRB have been coming to Medina MN, (an exurb of MPLS) since 200ish? Every Oct/Nov.
They do have one "small" legacy player, Wayne Nelson who sings Night Owls, and co lead on Take it easy on me, but did not write them.
Saw them once 2001 ish? They were okay at best.
Apparently some time in the 90's they name was "acquired" by a manager.

So these 3 original members could not tour under LRB.

These guys wrote all the songs,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMkRpmRXMW8

love the line, we arent LRB but we bloody well sound like them. :lol:

First this, cuz I could only post the mobile link before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lz9fC-u7Es

LRB slowly lost original members back from the mid-80s on. First Shorrock was replaced by John Farnham. Then the original band reunited for two albums. Then Beeb Birtles left, then Graeham Goble. They still had a decent band in the mid-90's while Glen Shorrock was still with them. But, then he left. By that time, the only "original" member was Derek Pelliccii. When he left the band, shortly after Shorrock left, Stephen Housden sorta 'inherited' the rights to the name and songs. Shortly after Housden obtained the rights, the original voices (Birtles, Shorrock, Goble) wanted to get back together. From what I understand, they never wanted to call themselves "Little River Band" or LRB. They recorded the live album and wanted to call themselves Birtles Shorrock Goble and ADVERTISE it as "The original voices of Little River Band". When their live DVD/CD came out, Housden sued them...and he won, forcing BSG to remove any reference to "LIttle River Band" on the CD/DVD, and not to refer to LRB during their promotions or use the logo. If you look at the DVD it says, "The Original Voices of xxx xxxxxx xxxxx xxxx". They left it that way to make a point. So, BSG were pissed...and made a big deal about not being able to refer to their own history to promote themselves. What ended up happening is BSG did a good amount of business in Australia...and LRB remained a third rate touring band in the US...and they didn't cross paths. Too bad...BSG could have toured here and competed. Not sure if Housden is still in the band or if he still owns the name or it has passed to someone else...he had been in the band as long as Wayne Nelson, who sang "NIght Owls". BSG only lasted maybe five years and no longer perform, and haven't for a while.

So, the lawsuit is why the above song was written. It is also why I do not fault bands like Styx or Journey for not referring to certain members who like to use attorneys...it is better to keep them out of everything (websites, prmotions, everything) rather than risk being sued for using their name/image without permission.

Lawyers. :x
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:03 pm

Memorex wrote:
scarab wrote:Even though I have not been to a Journey concert since JSS. (Mainly because of the setlist), when Schon bails, I guarantee even if Cain is still there (which I doubt) Journey is done. Arnel will probably be happy as hell to go back to his Family in Manila and do his own thing, Smith will b long gone, Rolie aint gonna come back. So all that remain will be Valory.

A Valory fronted Journey? :lol:

I was looking at Ross and I could see, here's a guy that just wanted his band back. And then I thought, who gives a shit?

LMAO @ Memorex, lol....

My 2 cents:
Journey isn't like most bands out there because each player has a distinct style or character. Bad enough they don't have Perry. That's half the sound right there, but, you lose Neal you lose the rest of the Journey sound. Period. It can't be replaced. Other guitar players can play the chords, sure, but the style, character and feel of Neal's playing is too unique and distinctive to replace. You can't have the sound of Journey without Neal's guitar in the mix. End of story. (pun intended) :lol:
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:07 am

Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:54 pm

WalrusOct9 wrote:
George_g888 wrote:This was taped months before it was aired.

Jason scheff is there... lol...You can even hear is voice doing the background vocals in "Look Away". If you watched it when it aired, they did a segment with the band during rehearsals for this show and Jason scheff was there..
Scheff did tour with them earlier this year but had to leave due to family illness.. he released a statement that can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/jason.scheff/

I didn't know when it was taped, okay. But no mention on the actual Chicago website or the band's social media accounts (which I'm sure gets many more views than individual members' FB pages). I'm really happy for Jeff (the new guy) though, it's a great opportunity for him, and it sounds like he's totally killing it out there. But when you've got a guitarist, bassist, drummer, and two lead singers who had nothing to do with any of the recordings that comprise their setlist...but I guess the audience is just there to hear the hits, no matter who is playing them.

Saw Chicago last night. Top 15 show ever. Seen the band 5-6 times with Scheff (never Cetera though). I wrote the band off after they fired Champlin given Scheff's declining voice and hadn't seen them for probably 8-10 years - my loss. Jeff is killing it in Jason's place, and Lou covers Champlin well while not succumbing to some of the crazy oversinging Champlin did in his later years with the group.

At any rate, Chicago is a unique beast when it comes to talking about bands w/ replacement members. Yeah, you're right, some of the key originals (or at least mainstays) aren't there anymore, but you can't denigrate them too much as a "tribute band" (not that you're necessarily doing that) when Jimmy Pankow, Lee Loughnane, and Robert Lamm are there. You just can't.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby RPM » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:36 am

Jason's Father is one of my favorite bass players. Jerry was the foundation of Elvis Presleys TCB band
and was there for all the big shows including the "Aloha from Hawaii" show. Jason turned out to be very
talented in his own right...
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
8 Track

Postby WalrusOct9 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:59 am

Ehwmatt wrote:
At any rate, Chicago is a unique beast when it comes to talking about bands w/ replacement members. Yeah, you're right, some of the key originals (or at least mainstays) aren't there anymore, but you can't denigrate them too much as a "tribute band" (not that you're necessarily doing that) when Jimmy Pankow, Lee Loughnane, and Robert Lamm are there. You just can't.

Eh, sure I can. You've got guitar, bass, drums, and lead vocals all being performed by replacement guys. Super nice and talented replacement guys, but still. That's an entire band right there. (especially since the majority of their setlist comes from the first six albums) I mean, I love the Chicago horns, but that's only part of the sound. But like Journey, I don't know how many people in the audience really care.

I know Jeff is killing it though. I can't help but wonder if this will be a longer-term thing, you're not the first person to remark about Scheff's aging voice over the last few years.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:43 pm

WalrusOct9 wrote:
Ehwmatt wrote:

I know Jeff is killing it though. I can't help but wonder if this will be a longer-term thing, you're not the first person to remark about Scheff's aging voice over the last few years.

That was the first thing we said driving home from the concert - it'll be a very tall order for Chicago to go back to Scheff and his inconsistent voice. They may not even realize it yet, but when push comes to shove, I'll bet this ends up being permanent. Would feel very bad for Jason if that happens, as he's a very nice guy from everyone I've ever spoken to about interacting with him, did a great job helping the band carry on for the last 30~ years, and sang on some good original songs himself. But the Chicago fan in me wants to see Jeff and his great voice next time they come through.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Abitaman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:18 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
The Doobies I get. They had balls before Michael McDonald showed up on the scene, and Tommy Johnston is still a favorite to see for the old fans. TOP...not so much. Although I've seen them before and they are a solid band and I do love a lot of their stuff, just not a great act for Journey in my opinion.

Chicago - definitely not. The comparison that Jason gave of them touring with Earth, Wind and Fire doesn't apply with Journey. EWF and Chicago shared a common thread – a solid horn section. Maybe they should reach out to TOP instead!

Had times and circumstances been different, and Terry Kath were still alive and Danny Ceraphine were still with Chicago, maybe that could have worked with Journey. They were the soul of that band. But the current version of Chicago...I just don't see it.

Of all the groups Journey toured with in the US (Foreigner, REO, Styx, Def Leppard, Steve Miller, etc), Leppard would probably be the hardest, which is still pretty soft. Overseas, they have tried to tour with some harder acts.

When I saw Journey with Leppard, I left about 2/3 of the way through their show. Thought Journey (with JSS) put them to shame.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:17 am

Oddly enough, Steve Augeri performed with Danny Seraphine's band last weekend. Danny has a clip of them playing Lights on his Facebook page.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:03 pm

Chicago announced today that Jason Scheff has been replaced after 30 years with the band. The usual "we wish him well" statement,, but no details. The new guy is the one who has been filling in for Jason this year.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby lparn » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:21 pm

tj wrote:Chicago announced today that Jason Scheff has been replaced after 30 years with the band. The usual "we wish him well" statement,, but no details. The new guy is the one who has been filling in for Jason this year.

I read on line Jason had a family health situation
I'm not sure if this is permanent or temporary
Always loved him in Chicago same as Bill chsmplin
lparn
45 RPM

Postby lparn » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:00 am

When Chicago toured with reo speed wagon a few years ago they did 3 of each other's songs together at the end not sure how or if this would work with journey would rather see Journey tour with foreigner/or night Ranger
They need to lose the live Nation vip and use a different company
$420 and no meet and greet , then 200 for corn toss and expecting people to bid on a guitar for over $3000!?
only worth it to get front row
We paid $10 to see foreigner in Sept and was an awesome show
lparn
45 RPM

Postby lparn » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:01 am

Abitaman wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
The Doobies I get. They had balls before Michael McDonald showed up on the scene, and Tommy Johnston is still a favorite to see for the old fans. TOP...not so much. Although I've seen them before and they are a solid band and I do love a lot of their stuff, just not a great act for Journey in my opinion.

Chicago - definitely not. The comparison that Jason gave of them touring with Earth, Wind and Fire doesn't apply with Journey. EWF

When I saw Journey with Leppard, I left about 2/3 of the way through their show. Thought Journey (with JSS) put them to shame.

Only saw 1 show, however I agree
lparn
45 RPM

Postby DracIsBack » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:43 am

marco17 wrote:Just my 2 cents, but we might be over-thinking the pairing thing. Regardless to Scheff’s comments, neither band is or has been ballad centric in their live performances for years or ever. The leadership group in Chicago have shown for almost the last 15 years that they would want nothing more than to run away from their 80’s power ballad success

Chicago has never been 'ballad heavy' live. Ever.

You get the usual horse-shit revisionist history from people who prefer 70s Chicago over 80s Chicago, but reality is that their sets were never filled end-to-end with ballads. Not in the mid 70s. Not in the mid 80s. Not in the mid 90s. Not now.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:44 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Unfortunately, a lot of their heavier, deeper catalog was due to Terry Kath. He was a real mofo on the guitar, and was even told so by Hendrix. Once Kath passed, the band lost a lot of their soul and grit.

Also some revisionist history. Terry Kath had a fair number of ballads himself.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:46 am

tj wrote:After about 1975, yes. Chicago has some intermittent harder songs deep in their albums, but not any hits.

REO had ballads in the mid to late 80's, but when I think of their music what stands out is the harder stuff. Not so much for Chicago.

25 or 6 to 4? I'm A Man? Alive Again?
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby scarab » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:42 am

scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:51 am

REO rocked very few after after High Infidelity, a rare minor hit was I dowanna know, which was a great poppish rocker, which did ok on FM AOR rock stations, after this they went the Dianne Warren route.

Damn I wish the 70s when REO rocked
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:07 am

another great non ballad song that charted higher than any 80s REO rocker,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ws9Xclse94
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:30 pm

I don't remember this one at all!! Shades of Casablanca :D
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Previous

Return to Journey