Jason Scheff wants Journey & Chicago to tour

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Jason Scheff wants Journey & Chicago to tour

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:36 am

What about touring with Steve Perry as the opening act? Then they can divide the Dirty Dozen with him, and Journey can play a more diverse set list.

(I know this will never happen, but it is a fun idea.) :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby tj » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:54 am

JourneyHard wrote:What about touring with Steve Perry as the opening act? Then they can divide the Dirty Dozen with him, and Journey can play a more diverse set list.

(I know this will never happen, but it is a fun idea.) :D

Not even in an alternate universe. So much negative comparison for both it wouldn't be worth any money paid.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby marco17 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:25 am

Just my 2 cents, but we might be over-thinking the pairing thing. Regardless to Scheff’s comments, neither band is or has been ballad centric in their live performances for years or ever. The leadership group in Chicago have shown for almost the last 15 years that they would want nothing more than to run away from their 80’s power ballad success. And live, Journey certainly isn’t power ballad heavy. If nothing else, it would pull a lot of “average” fans of both bands to one show and would likely be a huge success financially for everyone. Both bands have had successful tours for years now, regardless to whom they are paired with.
marco17
8 Track

Postby tj » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:07 am

marco17 wrote:Just my 2 cents, but we might be over-thinking the pairing thing. Regardless to Scheff’s comments, neither band is or has been ballad centric in their live performances for years or ever. The leadership group in Chicago have shown for almost the last 15 years that they would want nothing more than to run away from their 80’s power ballad success. And live, Journey certainly isn’t power ballad heavy. If nothing else, it would pull a lot of “average” fans of both bands to one show and would likely be a huge success financially for everyone. Both bands have had successful tours for years now, regardless to whom they are paired with.

Good points. I think that may be partly why they got rid of Bill Champlin. Scheff has been in the band for 30 years, but I still think he isn't a major decision maker. He's the one who brought up the power ballads.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby George_g888 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:34 am

marco17 wrote:Just my 2 cents, but we might be over-thinking the pairing thing. Regardless to Scheff’s comments, neither band is or has been ballad centric in their live performances for years or ever. The leadership group in Chicago have shown for almost the last 15 years that they would want nothing more than to run away from their 80’s power ballad success. And live, Journey certainly isn’t power ballad heavy. If nothing else, it would pull a lot of “average” fans of both bands to one show and would likely be a huge success financially for everyone. Both bands have had successful tours for years now, regardless to whom they are paired with.

Great post..
I agree that Chicago has been running away from their ballads. Like at the rock hof induction, not one mention of their 80's success or even a shout out to Bill Champlin.. kind of bogus IMO
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:45 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Eric wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote: Unfortunately, a lot of their heavier, deeper catalog was due to Terry Kath. He was a real mofo on the guitar, and was even told so by Hendrix. Once Kath passed, the band lost a lot of their soul and grit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEqRTZcisos

Hey man, thanks for sharing this!

Here's a full Chicago show that I really enjoy from time to time from 1970, Kath was a bad mofo as you say. Great way to spend an hour and a half with a couple cold ones. Crank it up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oAoSZ2y1cw
Only $5 Million more and I'll be a Greedy One Percenter.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:21 am

Phew!!! That was incredible, Fact Finder. Thanks for sharing. Terry was on fire, and Danny Seraphine kicked the shit out of those songs as well. The band is nowhere close to this level any longer, but Danny's own band, California Transit Authority, does some great covers of the old material. They have Marc Bonilla on guitar, and a bunch of former Tower of Power members, including vocalist Larry Braggs. They come way closer to the original sound of Chicago...and them I could see playing with Journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2nqJirDT9Q
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:06 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Phew!!! That was incredible, Fact Finder. Thanks for sharing. Terry was on fire, and Danny Seraphine kicked the shit out of those songs as well. The band is nowhere close to this level any longer, but Danny's own band, California Transit Authority, does some great covers of the old material. They have Marc Bonilla on guitar, and a bunch of former Tower of Power members, including vocalist Larry Braggs. They come way closer to the original sound of Chicago...and them I could see playing with Journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2nqJirDT9Q

I don't think Journey would want to be on a stage with THAT Chicago. :D
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Fact Finder » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:47 am

That first solo at 4:30....damn!

Sorry but even EVH can't play that way.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:02 am

Fact Finder wrote:That first solo at 4:30....damn!

Such a different, wonderful time for music. No flash, no crazy stage set-up. Just pure, raw talent.

Thanks again for sharing the video.
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Fact Finder » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:31 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Fact Finder wrote:That first solo at 4:30....damn!

Such a different, wonderful time for music. No flash, no crazy stage set-up. Just pure, raw talent.

Thanks again for sharing the video.

No problem, I enjoyed it again last night myself.
Fact Finder
MP3

Postby SoonerThunder » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:12 am

tj wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Monker wrote:'And, all of those are harder rock than Chicago.

When you're already touring with Tower of Power, you may as well tour with Earth Wind & Fire or Chicago. Makes absolutely ZERO difference. It's like saying Billy Joel is more "harder rock" than Elton John. Neither rock and it's a distinction without difference.

Agreed. In 1986 Glass Tiger opened for Journey in OKC. Some of the pairings then and now still cause me to shake my head.

Damn you! I had almost blocked that out of my memory.

Good to see another Okie on here.
SoonerThunder
Radio Waves

Postby Memorex » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:23 pm

SoonerThunder wrote:
tj wrote:In 1986 Glass Tiger opened for Journey in OKC.

You tried to forget them when they're gone?
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:45 am

Memorex wrote:
SoonerThunder wrote:
tj wrote:In 1986 Glass Tiger opened for Journey in OKC.

You tried to forget them when they're gone?

I see what you did there!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby WalrusOct9 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:49 am

FamilyMan wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:Instead of Chicago, why doesn't Journey tour with Boston?

Boston is unrecognizable now in its current lineup.

So is Chicago, aside from the horn section. Scheff isn't even touring with them this year, although there's no mention of it on their website (I actually know the guy who's singing/playing bass with them, and he's a fantastic musician and singer, so definitely go see him if you're a Chicago fan). And even more amusingly, when Chicago went on ABC a few days ago, they replaced Scheff's replacement. (No idea who this dude is playing bass here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEDkY6xk46U)
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby George_g888 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:50 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:Instead of Chicago, why doesn't Journey tour with Boston?

Boston is unrecognizable now in its current lineup.

So is Chicago, aside from the horn section. Scheff isn't even touring with them this year, although there's no mention of it on their website (I actually know the guy who's singing/playing bass with them, and he's a fantastic musician and singer, so definitely go see him if you're a Chicago fan). And even more amusingly, when Chicago went on ABC a few days ago, they replaced Scheff's replacement. (No idea who this dude is playing bass here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEDkY6xk46U)

This was taped months before it was aired.

Jason scheff is there... lol...You can even hear is voice doing the background vocals in "Look Away". If you watched it when it aired, they did a segment with the band during rehearsals for this show and Jason scheff was there..
Scheff did tour with them earlier this year but had to leave due to family illness.. he released a statement that can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/jason.scheff/
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:49 am

George_g888 wrote:This was taped months before it was aired.

Jason scheff is there... lol...You can even hear is voice doing the background vocals in "Look Away". If you watched it when it aired, they did a segment with the band during rehearsals for this show and Jason scheff was there..
Scheff did tour with them earlier this year but had to leave due to family illness.. he released a statement that can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/jason.scheff/

I didn't know when it was taped, okay. But no mention on the actual Chicago website or the band's social media accounts (which I'm sure gets many more views than individual members' FB pages). I'm really happy for Jeff (the new guy) though, it's a great opportunity for him, and it sounds like he's totally killing it out there. But when you've got a guitarist, bassist, drummer, and two lead singers who had nothing to do with any of the recordings that comprise their setlist...but I guess the audience is just there to hear the hits, no matter who is playing them.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:51 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:

I didn't know when it was taped, okay. But no mention on the actual Chicago website or the band's social media accounts (which I'm sure gets many more views than individual members' FB pages). I'm really happy for Jeff (the new guy) though, it's a great opportunity for him, and it sounds like he's totally killing it out there. But when you've got a guitarist, bassist, drummer, and two lead singers who had nothing to do with any of the recordings that comprise their setlist...but I guess the audience is just there to hear the hits, no matter who is playing them.

Little River Band is still touring, or was a couple of years ago, and I think that none of the current lineup was original. The music is what people go to hear. I think that Journey could go on for decades with someone like Arnel and none of the original members and people would still go for the music. Maybe not arenas full, but certainly smaller venues.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Seven Wishes » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:00 pm

Good lord. Chicago is a snooze fest live. Please, no.
Seven Wishes
Ol' 78

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:07 pm

tj wrote:
WalrusOct9 wrote:

Little River Band is still touring, or was a couple of years ago, and I think that none of the current lineup was original. The music is what people go to hear. I think that Journey could go on for decades with someone like Arnel and none of the original members and people would still go for the music. Maybe not arenas full, but certainly smaller venues.

David Lee Roth brought this up on a radio interview recently. He asked if bands could continue on over the years in the same fashion that a broadway musical goes on for years and years. The original cast of Guys and Dolls is no longer around, yet people will still go to see the show and hear the songs that they love. The new cast may not do it the same or as good as the original, but it keeps the spirit of the show alive and well. He used Journey specifically as an example. Funny, because he's been in and out of Van Halen how many times now?!? :lol: It's an interesting theory...just not sure if I agree with it.
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:07 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
tj wrote:Little River Band is still touring, or was a couple of years ago, and I think that none of the current lineup was original. The music is what people go to hear. I think that Journey could go on for decades with someone like Arnel and none of the original members and people would still go for the music. Maybe not arenas full, but certainly smaller venues.

David Lee Roth brought this up on a radio interview recently. He asked if bands could continue on over the years in the same fashion that a broadway musical goes on for years and years. The original cast of Guys and Dolls is no longer around, yet people will still go to see the show and hear the songs that they love. The new cast may not do it the same or as good as the original, but it keeps the spirit of the show alive and well. He used Journey specifically as an example. Funny, because he's been in and out of Van Halen how many times now?!? :lol: It's an interesting theory...just not sure if I agree with it.

Hmmm.... interesting. But I don't agree with whoever came up with that analogy. Stage plays and rock bands are apples and oranges. Here's why:

The cast of the broadway show does not have personal influence and artistic control over the play they are involved with and are not regarded as the authors of the play. This is why the cast of a stage play is irrelevant to the longevity of its run. The audience is in love with the play itself, not the cast. The emotional connection between fans and the bands they follow is largely based on the love of the band's creative chemistry. If the audience perceives an element they are emotionally connected to has changed in a way they don't believe in, there is a good chance they will fall out of love with the band and move on.

Having said that, I suppose it's possible a segment of concert going audiences would go see a band "called" Van Halen and "called" Journey in the future without any of the original members in it, but would there be enough interest to fill the touring venues? Doubtful. Those people certainly wouldn't have been followers of the band or have heard their music on the radio in their heyday leaving them with no memory or emotional connection to the band or their music. There would be no "cool" factor of going to see the guy or guys who originated the material.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby WalrusOct9 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:40 am

tj wrote:Little River Band is still touring, or was a couple of years ago, and I think that none of the current lineup was original. The music is what people go to hear. I think that Journey could go on for decades with someone like Arnel and none of the original members and people would still go for the music. Maybe not arenas full, but certainly smaller venues.

I legitimately have no idea why anyone would go see that (I also know absolutely nothing about LRB, but I know there's been a lot of issues with the rights to the name and the imposter touring lineup and all that). I mean, I go to shows to see the musicians I love...if I just wanted to hear a cover band I could save $100 and go to a bar.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:01 pm

For some reason the fake LRB have been coming to Medina MN, (an exurb of MPLS) since 200ish? Every Oct/Nov.
They do have one "small" legacy player, Wayne Nelson who sings Night Owls, and co lead on Take it easy on me, but did not write them.
Saw them once 2001 ish? They were okay at best.
Apparently some time in the 90's they name was "acquired" by a manager.

So these 3 original members could not tour under LRB.

These guys wrote all the songs,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMkRpmRXMW8

love the line, we arent LRB but we bloody well sound like them. :lol:
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:24 pm

Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:12 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:

I legitimately have no idea why anyone would go see that (I also know absolutely nothing about LRB, but I know there's been a lot of issues with the rights to the name and the imposter touring lineup and all that). I mean, I go to shows to see the musicians I love...if I just wanted to hear a cover band I could save $100 and go to a bar.

I see some bands as bRands. If Journey slowly changed out band members one by one with hand picked younger replacements I would go see them forever.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:04 am

Eric wrote:
I see some bands as bRands. If Journey slowly changed out band members one by one with hand picked younger replacements I would go see them forever.

But...why? I mean, I'm sure these songs will be played for a long time by people, just like there's dozens of Beatles tribute bands that do pretty decent business emulating something that obviously can no longer exist in its original form. But they aren't "The Beatles," because no one in those bands actually helped create any of the music they're playing.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:21 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:
Eric wrote:

But...why? I mean, I'm sure these songs will be played for a long time by people, just like there's dozens of Beatles tribute bands that do pretty decent business emulating something that obviously can no longer exist in its original form. But they aren't "The Beatles," because no one in those bands actually helped create any of the music they're playing.

For the WHY: Lack of new music that I like that tours.

I also want Journey to keep creating new music. If they don't...I see your point. Let's say, for example, if Valory retired and the new bass player made a new album with the rest of guys. Then Smitty retires and the new drummer makes an album with them. The Cain retires and the new keyboardist makes an album with Schon. Then Miles replaces Neal. That kind of transition appeals to me.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:45 pm

scarab wrote:For some reason the fake LRB have been coming to Medina MN, (an exurb of MPLS) since 200ish? Every Oct/Nov.
They do have one "small" legacy player, Wayne Nelson who sings Night Owls, and co lead on Take it easy on me, but did not write them.
Saw them once 2001 ish? They were okay at best.
Apparently some time in the 90's they name was "acquired" by a manager.

So these 3 original members could not tour under LRB.

These guys wrote all the songs,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMkRpmRXMW8

love the line, we arent LRB but we bloody well sound like them. :lol:

First this, cuz I could only post the mobile link before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lz9fC-u7Es

LRB slowly lost original members back from the mid-80s on. First Shorrock was replaced by John Farnham. Then the original band reunited for two albums. Then Beeb Birtles left, then Graeham Goble. They still had a decent band in the mid-90's while Glen Shorrock was still with them. But, then he left. By that time, the only "original" member was Derek Pelliccii. When he left the band, shortly after Shorrock left, Stephen Housden sorta 'inherited' the rights to the name and songs. Shortly after Housden obtained the rights, the original voices (Birtles, Shorrock, Goble) wanted to get back together. From what I understand, they never wanted to call themselves "Little River Band" or LRB. They recorded the live album and wanted to call themselves Birtles Shorrock Goble and ADVERTISE it as "The original voices of Little River Band". When their live DVD/CD came out, Housden sued them...and he won, forcing BSG to remove any reference to "LIttle River Band" on the CD/DVD, and not to refer to LRB during their promotions or use the logo. If you look at the DVD it says, "The Original Voices of xxx xxxxxx xxxxx xxxx". They left it that way to make a point. So, BSG were pissed...and made a big deal about not being able to refer to their own history to promote themselves. What ended up happening is BSG did a good amount of business in Australia...and LRB remained a third rate touring band in the US...and they didn't cross paths. Too bad...BSG could have toured here and competed. Not sure if Housden is still in the band or if he still owns the name or it has passed to someone else...he had been in the band as long as Wayne Nelson, who sang "NIght Owls". BSG only lasted maybe five years and no longer perform, and haven't for a while.

So, the lawsuit is why the above song was written. It is also why I do not fault bands like Styx or Journey for not referring to certain members who like to use attorneys...it is better to keep them out of everything (websites, prmotions, everything) rather than risk being sued for using their name/image without permission.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby WalrusOct9 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:24 am

Eric wrote:
I also want Journey to keep creating new music. If they don't...I see your point. Let's say, for example, if Valory retired and the new bass player made a new album with the rest of guys. Then Smitty retires and the new drummer makes an album with them. The Cain retires and the new keyboardist makes an album with Schon. Then Miles replaces Neal. That kind of transition appeals to me.

Nobody goes to see Journey play new music, though. And I would have zero interest in a 'Journey' album without Neal Schon or either Cain or Rollie. That wouldn't be a Journey album. I know we're rapidly approaching the point where this may start happening with some bands (Yes is down to one guy this summer...jesus h), but I really hope it's just talk and no one actually tries this.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:47 am

Even though I have not been to a Journey concert since JSS. (Mainly because of the setlist), when Schon bails, I guarantee even if Cain is still there (which I doubt) Journey is done. Arnel will probably be happy as hell to go back to his Family in Manila and do his own thing, Smith will b long gone, Rolie aint gonna come back. So all that remain will be Valory.

A Valory fronted Journey? :lol:
scarab
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Journey