Revitalized?

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Revitalized?

Postby Lerxst101 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:06 am

I was so glad that I attended the show in NJ Saturday night, as I was honestly surprised by the enthusiasm of the band. Yes, they were plainly excited to be playing at MSG with Santana a few months ago, but they appeared much more in sync and genuinely enthusiastic Saturday night at the PNC Bank Arts Center -- even JC!!!! They crowd was really into the show (they loved DB as well!), and it made for an incredible night.

The set list was great overall; however, I still don't understand why Neal "insists" on playing so many extended solo pieces. Yes, as a guitarist I love to hear him shred, but I'd honestly rather see the band play FTW/Anytime, as well as a few other gems, rather than too many solos (shredding that just runs into each other versus at least playing some melodic pieces). I would also prefer that "Dead or Alive" be replaced. It was so loud, that it was difficult to hear Arnel and Ross. That relates to the problem of the volume and mix. When does one lose the bass in a concert? I recognize that the sound may have been better further back (I was in row 12), but it was not great where I sat, in comparison to the volume and mix of the Doobie Brothers.

Don't get me wrong, my wife, son and I were blown away by the show, but I just wish that someone would reign in Neal a bit and play more songs with the entire band -- perhaps ones that would give Arnel's vocals a break? I'm still thankful I went, that the band continues to tour, and that they haven't lost a step.

By the way, Smitty was unbelievable. He played with so much more enthusiasm and confidence versus the MSG show. And his solo was mind-blowing. The crowd went crazy for him (for Neal as well). I was beyond thrilled to have the opportunity to enjoy his chops in the band once again.
Lerxst101
Ol' 78

Re: Revitalized?

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Thanks for posting. Sounds like a good show.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: Revitalized?

Postby FamilyMan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:30 am

I wonder if there's ever been and research to support the notion that extended solos help drive merchandising sales.?
Theoretically, it's when the ladies leave their seats to pee - and buy the t-shirt.
Perhaps Azoff tells them to keep it in.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Return to Journey