Seperate Ways Live '82

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Seperate Ways Live '82

Postby SF-Dano » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:59 am

Just came across this vid from Day on the Green '82. Wonder how many fans were running for the bathroom or to grab a beer during this back then. Kidding aside, great performance of a song Perry states was only 2 weeks old at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWqMV40Gkcg
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Re: Seperate Ways Live '82

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:28 am

Very cool.

It must have been new because the lyrics are different. Instead of "troubled times," Perry sings, "reckless hearts, caught between confusion and pain, pain, pain." :D

Also, it sounds like this was the single-cut version of the song.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Marabelle » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:13 am

Wow.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:46 am

Awesome song

Was lucky enough to hear World Gone Wild live for the first time (and to a lesser degree Good Time Tonight). Glad it made the US version of Arrival.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:44 am

What a phenominal fucking band they were.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:43 am

That was great. Smith looks like a much bigger guy when he has all that hair and a full beard.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:19 am

Saw these guys in May 15 '82 at Cobo Hall. They didn't play SW that night.

Then about a week later they play/introduce SW at ...

Separate Ways STEVE PERRY JOURNEY 1982 Rosemont IL
(Chicago)..May 21, 1982
https://youtu.be/3d0axk0c6oY

Then like 3 weeks later on Day on the green...

SEPARATE WAYS STEVE PERRY Journey 1982
June 26 1982 Oakland, CA - Day On The Green
https://youtu.be/fWqMV40Gkcg

Still like hearing the lyrics change along the road.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:59 am

Always loved the meatier raw version than the studio version. Take this and add in that extra jam they did in 2009 (see Graspop show) .

And the end yell here is similar to how Arnel does it now.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:08 am

tater1977 wrote:Saw these guys in May 15 '82 at Cobo Hall. They didn't play SW that night.

(Chicago)..May 21, 1982

Saw them at the Rose Bowl on 07/02/82 and they performed it. Was awesome. Of course I was one the other side of the stadium about 4 city blocks away, but by the time the sound reached me, it was great.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:51 pm

I was at that DOG show...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby FamilyMan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:22 am

Look at the energy!
Ross and Jonathan both look so into it.
And Perry looks truly tortured.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:28 pm

Can't imagine that reaction to "something new" from the audience these days. Too bad, really. Of course, the guys were on fire back then!!
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tj » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:21 pm

perryfan61 wrote:Can't imagine that reaction to "something new" from the audience these days. Too bad, really. Of course, the guys were on fire back then!!

As fans, we couldn't wait until the new album came out. Crap, we even bought the "Vision Quest" movie soundtrack to get Only the Young since it wasn't included on the original Frontiers release. I don't know anyone who bought the Armageddon soundtrack just to get Remember Me. Funny how things change in 30 years.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:26 pm

perryfan61 wrote:Can't imagine that reaction to "something new" from the audience these days. Too bad, really. Of course, the guys were on fire back then!!

This was Journey at the height of their popularity with the originating singer of every song the audience was there to celebrate and experience live. I'm sure everyone in attendance were over the moon to get a sneak peak of what was coming next.

It would be like being at a theater when Star Wars came out, then have George Lucas step in front of the screen just before the credits rolled and asked the audience if they'd like to see a clip of Empire Strikes Back. :lol: :lol: :lol:
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:28 pm

tj wrote:

As fans, we couldn't wait until the new album came out. Crap, we even bought the "Vision Quest" movie soundtrack to get Only the Young since it wasn't included on the original Frontiers release.

Yep! I was that guy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

tj wrote:I don't know anyone who bought the Armageddon soundtrack just to get Remember Me. Funny how things change in 30 years.

Actually, I need to fess up. I bought the Armageddon soundtrack just to get Remember Me. I was really excited to hear something new from Neal and Jon and dying of curiosity about the new lineup. So yep, I was that guy too... :oops: :lol: :lol:
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:26 am

tj wrote:I don't know anyone who bought the Armageddon soundtrack just to get Remember Me. Funny how things change in 30 years.

Actually, I need to fess up. I bought the Armageddon soundtrack just to get Remember Me. I was really excited to hear something new from Neal and Jon and dying of curiosity about the new lineup. So yep, I was that guy too... :oops: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I bought it too. :oops:
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:22 am

My kids and I were talking yesterday and I was struck at the instances of remembering the first moments I heard something and my ears perked up and it made some impression on me. I think for me Journey is the band it's happened with the most. Much of their music I sought out and so it wasn't like I was hearing something for the first time without it being intentional, but those moments where I heard it and didn't know I was going to hear it are still special, for some reason. The one's that stick out the most:

First time hearing Lovin' You is Easy. This is what got me into the band originally. The room I was standing in when my friend played it for me appears like a photograph. The placement of everything, the color of the drapes, etc. So weird when you think about it.

Who's Cryin' Now. I kind of anticipated it would be on the radio within that week, but then it just came on and it was so different and the voice was so incredible, and then that guitar solo.

Only Solutions. Standing in a kind-of-loud t-shirt shop in Florida on vacation. Had no idea a new song would be out. Was standing there thinking ok, that sounds kind of like Steve but maybe it's Rod Stewart. As a fan of both, I was thrilled. I never knew for sure until I got back home and called a record store and they confirmed it was Journey.

(Related) Too Much Ain't Enough Love. I was in a very deep conversation. The radio was on in the background very low. I could sort of feel the hairs stand up and slowly my ears focused more and more away from the conversation and onto the radio, almost unintentional at first. It was faint, but I thought to myself that is either Neal, or I have a new guitarist to listen to because this is amazing. I didn't want to be rude to the guy, but finally I said you know what, I want to hear this for a second. I'm sorry. This was back when info came from magazines or calling around and if you missed something on the radio, you might not hear it again or know what it was. So there was an urgency there. Fortunately at the end of the song the DJ explained who it was. Which started my now 30 years of being a Jimmy Barnes fan.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:47 am

Memorex wrote:My kids and I were talking yesterday and I was struck at the instances of remembering the first moments I heard something and my ears perked up and it made some impression on me. I think for me Journey is the band it's happened with the most. Much of their music I sought out and so it wasn't like I was hearing something for the first time without it being intentional, but those moments where I heard it and didn't know I was going to hear it are still special, for some reason. The one's that stick out the most:

First time hearing Lovin' You is Easy. This is what got me into the band originally. The room I was standing in when my friend played it for me appears like a photograph. The placement of everything, the color of the drapes, etc. So weird when you think about it.

Who's Cryin' Now. I kind of anticipated it would be on the radio within that week, but then it just came on and it was so different and the voice was so incredible, and then that guitar solo.

Only Solutions. Standing in a kind-of-loud t-shirt shop in Florida on vacation. Had no idea a new song would be out. Was standing there thinking ok, that sounds kind of like Steve but maybe it's Rod Stewart. As a fan of both, I was thrilled. I never knew for sure until I got back home and called a record store and they confirmed it was Journey.

(Related) Too Much Ain't Enough Love. I was in a very deep conversation. The radio was on in the background very low. I could sort of feel the hairs stand up and slowly my ears focused more and more away from the conversation and onto the radio, almost unintentional at first. It was faint, but I thought to myself that is either Neal, or I have a new guitarist to listen to because this is amazing. I didn't want to be rude to the guy, but finally I said you know what, I want to hear this for a second. I'm sorry. This was back when info came from magazines or calling around and if you missed something on the radio, you might not hear it again or know what it was. So there was an urgency there. Fortunately at the end of the song the DJ explained who it was. Which started my now 30 years of being a Jimmy Barnes fan.

Nice. I think we're cut from the same cloth. Every time a Journey tune popped up on the radio it drew my attention whether I knew the song already or not. Who's Crying Now is the one that reeled me in. I promptly bought their back catalogue and loved everything that came out of the Perry era. That was the magic of that band's chemistry for me, and I've been a fan ever since.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:32 am

After a 3 year wait after Frontiers, which will always be the best Journey CD I Remember exactly when I heard Be Good to Yourself, skipping school in my HS junior year sometime around May 1986. I thought wow, they still had the heavy synth sound with a great Schon solo outro and Perry's vocals were still great. Somewhere back in the day I posted about my 40 mile bike ride (I was 15 with no car living in the sticks) the day of the release just to buy the CD and being at the time disappointed to see most songs had a more poppish and R&B feel and no great rockers. Still grew to love some and enjoyed most.

then the drought

Heard You Better Wait (1994ish?) Summer, and thought, wow, Journey is back in a big way, took a bit to find out this was Perry solo. Another small let down after buying the CD, only loved 3-4 songs, liked 2-3 others and still to this day can't listen to the rest. On a side note I was lucky enough to be at Perry's first concert in Milwaukee and front row in MPLS.

And then Journey is back.

Heard When you Love a Woman for the first time on the way home from work. Knew Journey was recording, but under the ruse for another compilation album. This was the classic journey sound, and was glad to see the song do so well, which it deserved.
Heard Message of love about a dozen time and was sad to see it die out, great song. Bought the CD, and for the most part thought it was classic Journey, unlike ROR, still has a couple songs I always skip, but also very bummed "Still She Cries" was never released as a single, classic Perry/Cain song.

After that, the only Journey song I heard on the radio maybe 6 or less times was Higher Place. KQRS in MN had a "Tuesday Doubleshot"
and they paired the radio edit Higher Place with a classic Journey song.

I know after all these years charted, but never heard it on FM radio.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Moonglow » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:53 am

Memorex wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Saw these guys in May 15 '82 at Cobo Hall. They didn't play SW that night.

(Chicago)..May 21, 1982

Saw them at the Rose Bowl on 07/02/82 and they performed it. Was awesome. Of course I was one the other side of the stadium about 4 city blocks away, but by the time the sound reached me, it was great.

Very cool. I was at that Chicago show and remember the song blowing me away. Was that the first time they actually played SW live?
Moonglow
Radio Waves

Postby Memorex » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:47 pm

scarab wrote:After a 3 year wait after Frontiers, which will always be the best Journey CD I Remember exactly when I heard Be Good to Yourself, skipping school in my HS junior year sometime around May 1986. I thought wow, they still had the heavy synth sound with a great Schon solo outro and Perry's vocals were still great. Somewhere back in the day I posted about my 40 mile bike ride (I was 15 with no car living in the sticks) the day of the release just to buy the CD and being at the time disappointed to see most songs had a more poppish and R&B feel and no great rockers. Still grew to love some and enjoyed most.

then the drought

Heard You Better Wait (1994ish?) Summer, and thought, wow, Journey is back in a big way, took a bit to find out this was Perry solo. Another small let down after buying the CD, only loved 3-4 songs, liked 2-3 others and still to this day can't listen to the rest. On a side note I was lucky enough to be at Perry's first concert in Milwaukee and front row in MPLS.

And then Journey is back.

Heard When you Love a Woman for the first time on the way home from work. Knew Journey was recording, but under the ruse for another compilation album. This was the classic journey sound, and was glad to see the song do so well, which it deserved.
Heard Message of love about a dozen time and was sad to see it die out, great song. Bought the CD, and for the most part thought it was classic Journey, unlike ROR, still has a couple songs I always skip, but also very bummed "Still She Cries" was never released as a single, classic Perry/Cain song.

After that, the only Journey song I heard on the radio maybe 6 or less times was Higher Place. KQRS in MN had a "Tuesday Doubleshot"
and they paired the radio edit Higher Place with a classic Journey song.

I know after all these years charted, but never heard it on FM radio.

The three year wait - seemed like forever, huh? I was at their first show back up in calaveras - hot as can be and rumors flying around all day that they would not play. Which was all just BS, I imagine. Fun day. And incredible show. A bit longer than the rest of the shows that year, it seemed. Anyway, was so glad to see them back.

Message of Love. It's bitter sweet for me. I absolutely love that song. But at the time, I had this long ass commute - across a time zone no less - so on busy days, I would stay in my van in Atlanta. I'm not a stay in the van kind of guy and it was MISERABLE. I had a wife and 4 kids at home, one of them brand spanking new. And it was killing me to have to stay out there and really straining things. But I had this two song cassette before the album came out (thank you Lora) that I would loop over and over of WYLAW and MOL. I would play MOL more. It ingrained those memories into my head and now anytime I hear that song I immediately feel it all rush back - sitting alone in a van in the middle of nowhere away from my family. It makes me nervous and anxious and scared, but it is just too good not to listen too. I think it's my favorite Steve Smith song for sure. That whole last 30 seconds is insane. On the good side, it always reminds me of my friendship and how much I treasure it and how sometimes people probably have no idea how far little things go to help someone through. Angels.

Thanks for sharing your stories. Very cool.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Onestepper » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:50 am

Perry's voice was at it's best in that video. Wow. Thanks for posting.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey