Styx and Journey Announce Live Reissue Titles

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby tater1977 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:42 pm

By Jeff Giles July 21, 2016 10:07 AM
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/styx-jou ... e-reissue/

Styx and Journey are pulling a pair of live releases out of the vaults in September.

On Sept. 2, Styx will reissue Live at the Orleans Arena Las Vegas on DVD and Blu-ray, bringing their July 2014 show at the titular venue to home video for the first time. Originally released on CD in 2015, Orleans Arena captures a hit-heavy eight-song set from the group’s tour with Don Felder.

“Damn, we had a good time on that tour!” enthused guitarist and singer Tommy Shaw. “Night after night following Don Felder’s legendary set, we couldn’t wait to hit the stage for our turn at bat. Unforgettable.”

A week later, on Sept. 9, Journey will release Live in Manila, bringing the formerly DVD-only title to an array of format packs that includes DVD/two-CD, Blu-ray/two-CD and digital — and offers the standalone audio portion of the program to fans for the first time. Originally released in 2009, the 4K-filmed show took place at the SM Mall of Asia in Manila, Philippines, and served as a homecoming performance for lead singer Arnel Pineda.

Check out the complete track listings for both titles below.

Journey, ‘Live in Manila’ Track Listing
“Intro Medley: The Journey (Revelation) / Majestic”
“Never Walk Away”
“Only the Young”
“Ask the Lonely”
“Stone in Love”
“Keep On Runnin’”
“After All These Years”
“Change for the Better”
“Wheel in the Sky”
“Lights”
“Still They Ride”
“Open Arms”
“Mother, Father”
“Wildest Dream”
“When You Love a Woman”
“Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)”
“What I Needed”
“Edge of the Blade”
“Where Did I Lose Your Love”
“Escape”
“Faithfully”
“Don’t Stop Believin’”
“Any Way You Want It”
“Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’”
“Turn Down the World Tonight”
“Be Good to Yourself”

Styx, ‘Live at the Orleans Arena Las Vegas’ Track Listing
“Too Much Time On My Hands”
“Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)”
“Light Up”
“Crystal Ball”
“Superstars”
“Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)” (with Don Felder)
“Rockin’ the Paradise”
“Renegade”
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Styx and Journey Announce Live Reissue Titles

Postby ebake02 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:24 am

I hope Kevin Shirley doesn't do the mixing this time around.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby steveo777 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:54 pm

That's great, but the whole Live in Manila DVD needs to be fucking remastered. The sound on most of it, sounds like an amateur recorded it on their cell phone....well, it's a bit better than that, but not by much. Having watched it, I really enjoyed the show, but was disappointed with the sound of it.
steveo777
MP3

Postby FamilyMan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:56 am

Agree - the sound mix was horrendous. But more importantly, why would they reissue something barely five years old? Find the old Raised on Radio Tour -- which was filmed every night by Nocturne. Or how about a complete Frontiers tour DVD? Smitty once told me he has tons of video recordings from his last tour with the band… It's all recorded somewhere. It would be nice if they packaged something classic and released it.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby tj » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:28 am

FamilyMan wrote:Agree - the sound mix was horrendous. But more importantly, why would they reissue something barely five years old? Find the old Raised on Radio Tour -- which was filmed every night by Nocturne. Or how about a complete Frontiers tour DVD? Smitty once told me he has tons of video recordings from his last tour with the band… It's all recorded somewhere. It would be nice if they packaged something classic and released it.

Wondering the same thing. They could record the current tour with Smith and put it out. Unless it is really better soundwise, I can't imagine buying it. I am past the point of buying another greatest hits/live type of cd/dvd just to add to the collection.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:38 am

tj wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:Agree - the sound mix was horrendous. But more importantly, why would they reissue something barely five years old? Find the old Raised on Radio Tour -- which was filmed every night by Nocturne. Or how about a complete Frontiers tour DVD? Smitty once told me he has tons of video recordings from his last tour with the band… It's all recorded somewhere. It would be nice if they packaged something classic and released it.

Wondering the same thing. They could record the current tour with Smith and put it out. Unless it is really better soundwise, I can't imagine buying it. I am past the point of buying another greatest hits/live type of cd/dvd just to add to the collection.

Maybe the blu-ray or digital version will be 4k. Not sure if blu-ray supports 4k.

At the very least, it makes sense to release it on blu-ray. It's crazy to film it in 4k and only have it available on DVD.

But, since it is a rereleae and it was part of the Revelation package, I doubt it will sell very well anyway.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby steveo777 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:59 am

While it may not sell well, it would be nice to have a higher quality Blu Ray for my Journey collection. Supposedly there have been some Blu Ray discs out there for sale, but I don't know that they're genuine.
steveo777
MP3

Postby Archetype » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:28 am

I seem to remember a version of Live In Manila out there with much better audio. Might not have been official, but it's in my head for some reason. That's what should be released.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Ehwmatt » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:26 pm

Styx releasing that puny setlist on a DVD is pretty sad, especially since they still really bring it live.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby MysteryMountain » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:51 am

tater1977 wrote: — and offers the standalone audio portion of the program to fans for the first time.

What does this mean? I thought it had already been released on cd? or digital file download? Unless it means something completely different related to the mix?
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Postby brywool » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:51 am

The Styx show is SO compressed that it sounds awful. Sounds like they also used AutoTune on it. That could be incorrect, but it sure sounds like it in the AXS-broadcast show. Yuck.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Archetype » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:08 am

brywool wrote:The Styx show is SO compressed that it sounds awful. Sounds like they also used AutoTune on it. That could be incorrect, but it sure sounds like it in the AXS-broadcast show. Yuck.

I have some of the audio downloaded from iTunes. It doesn't even really sound live
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:57 am

It seems odd that there is nothing in the news section of the band's website. Last update was in May for their Ellen Degeneres show appearance.

http://www.journeymusic.com/pages/news
tj
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey