MWM sits down with founding Journey member Neal Schon

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby tater1977 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:45 am

http://www.wzzm13.com/entertainment/tel ... /286653424

video @ 2.42 min .... hmmmmmm :?:

GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM)- The Van Andel Arena continues to celebrate its 20th anniversary by bringing in some big-name acts.

It was a sold out show last night when the band Journey was in town.

My West Michigan's Jennifer Pascua sat down with founder & original band member, Neal Schon.

ON PLAYING IN WEST MICHIGAN: We play everywhere. Next year we're going to play a lot more the secondaries, so we're considering this a main market.

ON "DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'": South Detroit, which there is none….but it sounded cooler than North Detroit. You know, it's funny when Jon brought that song and that keyboard part and he had, "Don't stop believin'" lyric that his Dad gave him when he was pursuing his career and not yet in the band. So we remembered it and we started kicking it around one day in my rehearsal studio in Oakland that we took over from Larry Graham years ago and the three of us kind of knocked it out. I heard it when we first did it years ago and I thought, "Wow, that song is going to be really big." and when the album came out, it wasn't the biggest song off the record and so it took many years later for people to catch up. But at least I was right.

ON WHAT'S NEXT: I've been working on a few things. I really can't talk about it. I'm working on a lot of stuff and working on a record deal with someone very cool. All I can tell you is that we went and met him the other day and liked him a lot. It's hard to find someone who is musical and runs a real record label. You don't find it.

Additional credit to Entertainment & Media Consultant, Chris Petras.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: MWM sits down with founding Journey member Neal Schon

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:34 am

tater1977 wrote:ON WHAT'S NEXT: I've been working on a few things. I really can't talk about it. I'm working on a lot of stuff and working on a record deal with someone very cool. All I can tell you is that we went and met him the other day and liked him a lot. It's hard to find someone who is musical and runs a real record label. You don't find it.

Alessandro Del Vecchio or some other guy @ Frontiers?
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:44 am

Is he referring to Journey, a solo project, or a new band as a side project?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:49 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:Is he referring to Journey, a solo project, or a new band as a side project?

Good question. My guess (emphasis on guess) is it's about a solo or new band side project.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:46 am

The "I've been working on a few things" part sounds to me like a solo album or side band. But the "we went and met with him the other day" part is what made me wonder if it's Journey that he's talking about?

I'm ready for any of the three, or better yet, two of them, or even all three!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:48 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:The "I've been working on a few things" part sounds to me like a solo album or side band. But the "we went and met with him the other day" part is what made me wonder if it's Journey that he's talking about?

I'm ready for any of the three, or better yet, two of them, or even all three!

The "we" part does make one wonder. But -- we could also be Neal and his management, or lawyer, or both, to discuss the business side of things too.

I'm with you on making it all three, lol...
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:25 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
tater1977 wrote:ON WHAT'S NEXT: I've been working on a few things. I really can't talk about it. I'm working on a lot of stuff and working on a record deal with someone very cool. All I can tell you is that we went and met him the other day and liked him a lot. It's hard to find someone who is musical and runs a real record label. You don't find it.

Alessandro Del Vecchio or some other guy @ Frontiers?

3.23 min

Schon - ' I just put out the Santana IV album, with the rest of the guys with this guy so, ummm
... and he's doing quite well and so '
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:00 am

tater1977 wrote:3.23 min

Schon - ' I just put out the Santana IV album, with the rest of the guys with this guy so, ummm

Starting to feel like a sleuth, lol...

Thirty Tigers?

[a Nashville-based entertainment company that offers music marketing, distribution, and management services to independent artists. It was founded in 2002 by David Macias and Deb Markland, and is distributed by Sony RED.]
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:08 am

"ON "DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'": South Detroit, which there is none…"

Now, Neal is caught in this trap.

For the record, the small town girl doesn't exist, the city boy doesn't exist, and there is NO midnight train either. Also, there is NO singer in a smokey room. There is no movie of your life either. It is just a song, people!

What about the non-existent Wheel in the Sky?
JourneyHard
LP

Postby tater1977 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:50 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:

Thirty Tigers?

[a Nashville-based entertainment company that offers music marketing, distribution, and management services to independent artists. It was founded in 2002 by David Macias and Deb Markland, and is distributed by Sony RED.]

Good Sleuthy you are :D

Who We Are

Thirty Tigers is a Nashville based entertainment company, founded in 2002 by Grammy Award-winning producer David Macias and Deb Markland. In just over a decade, Thirty Tigers has gone from two employees working out of David’s guest bedroom to thirty employees, most of whom now work out of our new home at 611 Merritt Avenue in the Wedgewood-Houston area of Nashville, Tennessee. Thirty Tigers also has offices in Los Angeles, New York, North Carolina and London. Our collective experience in the music industry ranges from record retail to the film industry to major labels.

Our marketing, distribution and management services have fostered success stories for a number of artists including Carlos Santana, Lucinda Williams, Patty Griffin, Trampled by Turtles, The Avett Brothers, Low, Ryan Bingham, Flogging Molly, Jason Isbell, The Josh Abbott Band, Chase Rice, Casey Donahew, The Eli Young Band, Will Hoge, Aaron Watson, St. Paul & the Broken Bones, and many others.

In 2014, we expanded our services to include a publishing division in partnership with Wixen Music Publishing.

http://thirtytigers.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:51 am

tater1977 wrote:
STORY_TELLER wrote:

Thirty Tigers?

Good Sleuthy you are :D

Who We Are

Thirty Tigers is a Nashville based entertainment company, founded in 2002 by Grammy Award-winning producer David Macias and Deb Markland. In just over a decade, Thirty Tigers has gone from two employees working out of David’s guest bedroom to thirty employees, most of whom now work out of our new home at 611 Merritt Avenue in the Wedgewood-Houston area of Nashville, Tennessee. Thirty Tigers also has offices in Los Angeles, New York, North Carolina and London. Our collective experience in the music industry ranges from record retail to the film industry to major labels.

Our marketing, distribution and management services have fostered success stories for a number of artists including Carlos Santana, Lucinda Williams, Patty Griffin, Trampled by Turtles, The Avett Brothers, Low, Ryan Bingham, Flogging Molly, Jason Isbell, The Josh Abbott Band, Chase Rice, Casey Donahew, The Eli Young Band, Will Hoge, Aaron Watson, St. Paul & the Broken Bones, and many others.

In 2014, we expanded our services to include a publishing division in partnership with Wixen Music Publishing.

http://thirtytigers.com

Nice 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only question that remains is if this is for Neal's solo stuff or Journey or both. Starting to think it might be both! Fingers crossed. Go, Neal, go!
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:18 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
Only question that remains is if this is for Neal's solo stuff or Journey or both. Starting to think it might be both! Fingers crossed. Go, Neal, go!

Neal posted on journey's fb -

Sn.jpg
Sn.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:41 am

tater1977 wrote:
STORY_TELLER wrote:

Sn.jpg

Neal, you're my fucking hero! Holy fuckin' shit!!! TATER you ROCK!
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:02 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
tater1977 wrote:
STORY_TELLER wrote:

Sn.jpg

Neal, you're my fucking hero! Holy fuckin' shit!!! TATER you ROCK!

We still don't know shit :lol: , except he talked to JW.
Still have to wait and see.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:10 am

tater1977 wrote:We still don't know shit :lol: , except he talked to JW.

Oh sure, douse my fire why don't you! :lol:

Well, I'd like to think that if Waite said no at the outset, Neal wouldn't have responded. But, yeah, you're right, it's too soon to get excited... son of a... :lol: :lol: :lol:
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:50 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
tater1977 wrote:We still don't know shit :lol: , except he talked to JW.

Oh sure, douse my fire why don't you! :lol:

Well, I'd like to think that if Waite said no at the outset, Neal wouldn't have responded. But, yeah, you're right, it's too soon to get excited... son of a... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: :lol:
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:30 am

Funny, the night before Neal announced that he's working on a couple of things that he can't talk about yet, I posted that I wonder when he'd be working on a new solo album or side-band project.

I'm feeling way overdue for a new Journey album, Neal Schon solo album, and some sort of Hard Rock band project like Bad English, Hardline, Soul SirkUS or Planet US.

It would be awesome for Deen Castronovo to be involved with any side-band project that Neal might get going!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:19 am

JourneyHard wrote:"ON "DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'": South Detroit, which there is none…"

Now, Neal is caught in this trap.

For the record, the small town girl doesn't exist, the city boy doesn't exist, and there is NO midnight train either. Also, there is NO singer in a smokey room. There is no movie of your life either. It is just a song, people!

What about the non-existent Wheel in the Sky?

The Wheel is in the sky. You can't see it, but it is there.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:48 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:It would be awesome for Deen Castronovo to be involved with any side-band project that Neal might get going!

As a vocalist, absolutely. He sounded amazing on the So U album. I'd prefer Neal jam with a better drummer. (Let the flaming begin... :oops: :lol: )
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:33 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:It would be awesome for Deen Castronovo to be involved with any side-band project that Neal might get going!

As a vocalist, absolutely. He sounded amazing on the So U album. I'd prefer Neal jam with a better drummer. (Let the flaming begin... :oops: :lol: )

Well, with the exception of Steve Smith, you won't find very many better drummers than Deen Castronovo.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:25 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:
STORY_TELLER wrote:

Well, with the exception of Steve Smith, you won't find very many better drummers than Deen Castronovo.

I'm not saying these guys are interested in or are available to work with Neal, but --

Virgil Donati, Rod Morgenstein, Mike Mangini, Vinnie Colaiuta, Stewart Copeland, Omar Hakim, Pick Withers, Brian Doerner, Marvin "smitty" Smith, Alan White, Dave Abbruzzese, Matt Cameron, Brad Hargreaves, Steven Adler, Dave Grohl, Neal Peart, Abe Laboriel Jr., Vinnie Appice...

...and the list goes on, and on, and on, and on...

Deen is an impressive speed pounder, but -- I realize how this reads, and I'm not trying to be mean -- he's very simplistic, he isn't musical, and he has no finesse. Sorry, but I find him to be a one trick pony. He's actually a very weak drummer compared to every name on that list, and that's a very short list. I truly could go on and on and on...
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby SF-Dano » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:15 am

Dude, can't help you if you think guys like Adler, Grohl, and Appice are better than Castronovo. Don't know some of the others you listed. Donati and Hakim we know have worked well with Neal before. Some others just don't seem like a fit. Suppose it all would come down to the type of music Schon would be going for at the time.
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:07 am

SF-Dano wrote:Dude, can't help you if you think guys like Adler, Grohl, and Appice are better than Castronovo. Don't know some of the others you listed. Donati and Hakim we know have worked well with Neal before. Some others just don't seem like a fit. Suppose it all would come down to the type of music Schon would be going for at the time.

So much depends on the type of music. Smith can obviously play the Journey stuff, most of it he originated. But he can also play the jazz, etc. that so many others can't. I think a lot of that is because Smith has been a student of music, not just a rock and roll drummer. Not saying that Deen hasn't been a student or learned how to play, he obviously can play the Journey, Ozzie, etc. rock stuff. Other types, who knows? Could he learn it? Probably.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:23 am

SF-Dano wrote:Dude, can't help you if you think guys like Adler, Grohl, and Appice are better than Castronovo. Don't know some of the others you listed. Donati and Hakim we know have worked well with Neal before. Some others just don't seem like a fit. Suppose it all would come down to the type of music Schon would be going for at the time.

Yeah, I made that list without separation between the music styles. Sorry for the confusion. It does come down to the type of music Neal would want to play.

My thinking on Adler/Grohl/Appice:
I chose those guys assuming Neal would want to do heavy songs (or a full record). Adler is a mess of human being and I wouldn't saddle Neal with him for that reason alone, lol... but he is one of the great rock drummers in terms of feel. Any of those three would back Neal's guitar with the necessary heavy vibe and provide strong creative choices for the song. Jazz? No, none of them, not at all, and I should have clarified that.

tj wrote:So much depends on the type of music. Smith can obviously play the Journey stuff, most of it he originated. But he can also play the jazz, etc. that so many others can't. I think a lot of that is because Smith has been a student of music, not just a rock and roll drummer. Not saying that Deen hasn't been a student or learned how to play, he obviously can play the Journey, Ozzie, etc. rock stuff. Other types, who knows? Could he learn it? Probably.

An artist never loses his roots. Neal will always have a Hendrix/Clapton vibe to his rock chops. Smitty started out studying jazz, not rock. Deen started out wanting to be a metal drummer. Keeping the time and beats of the Journey songs isn't the same thing as being able to recreate the feel they were created with. Deen's feel is metal.

Could he grow into something more? Possible, but unlikely. Not because he's incapable of learning something new, but because it's not his personality or his vibe. It would be like asking Ronnie James Dio to learn how to be as soulful as Sam Cooke. Wrong vibe.

For me it boils down to the drummer's creative choices, not just how fast or hard he can play. Does it fit the song itself or is it grandstanding? What kind of feel is he bringing to the song? I only hear one choice from Deen again and again: fit as many hard pounding rolls into a fill as possible. I find his beats to be very aimless and disconnected from the song he's playing for. He's not musical enough to hang with Schon's guitar IMO.

Great voice though. Can't say enough about his voice. GREAT voice.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey