Ross Valory Jonathan Cain get outfitted for new hearing aids

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Ross Valory Jonathan Cain get outfitted for new hearing aids

Postby tater1977 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:09 pm

Journey Band Members To Other Rockers: You’re Too Loud!

Age, perspective, and not a little bit of pain have prompted the members of Journey to sound like parents warning their kids to “turn it down!”

by Tad Simons August 9, 2016

http://mspmag.com/arts-and-culture/the- ... 1.facebook

As we know from Adele’s recent visit to the Hi-Lo Diner, Lady Gaga’s love for the Turf Club, and Miley Cyrus’s strolls around St. Paul, Twin Citians are intensely interested in what rock stars do when they are not performing.

Rock royalty of a certain age have different priorities, however. That’s why yesterday, during their day off before tonight’s concert at Xcel Energy Center, two members of the legendary eighties pop-rock juggernaut Journey—bassist Ross Valory and keyboard player Jonathan Cain—spent the afternoon at Starkey Hearing Technologies headquarters in Eden Prairie, being outfitted for new hearing aids.

Standing in front of a Marshall four-stack for forty-plus years can take its toll, and protecting what’s left of their hearing is, for these guys, a form of job security. “Technology can fix poor eyesight and surgeons can repair your body, but once your hearing goes, that’s it,” says Cain, who began wearing hearing aids about fifteen years ago, after a doctor in Germany accidentally injured his left ear while flushing it of impacted ear wax. A hearing aid helps counteract the painful tinnitus that Cain has experienced ever since, and, he says, makes it possible for him to enjoy everyday life and continue performing at a high level.

Cain has since become a rather passionate advocate for hearing protection, not only for himself and his band mates, but for his audiences as well. “Most rock concerts are way too loud,” he claims. “I went to see U2 in Vancouver a couple of years ago and had to leave after two songs. It was too loud. Same with Van Halen. I walked out. Even my kids couldn’t take it. Those guys were crazy loud.” Journey concerts are loud, too, he admits—but not that loud. “102 decibels is about as high as we go,” he says—whereas many acts push it into the 120-40 decibel range, into white-noise territory, past the so-called “threshold of pain.”

Long-time Journey bassist Ross Valory knew for years that his hearing was going too, but didn’t bother to do anything about until about five years ago, when Cain convinced him to take the hearing-aid plunge. Valory looks like a prototypical aging rock star: craggy skin, a preternaturally skinny frame, and a bleached, coiffed mane of hair seemingly transplanted from a man thirty years his junior. “What they can do these days with the technology—it’s phenomenal. The model I’m getting today, I can control the whole thing with my phone. I can even take calls on it,” he says, taking a bite of a sandwich. “It’s crazy.”

He can actually do a great deal more than that. The hearing-aid Cain and Valory are upgrading to is Starkey’s latest and greatest, a Bluetooth model with the appropriately space-aged name, Halo 2, which comes with its own iPhone app. Through the app, users can take phone calls, stream music, choose from twenty-four different “modes,” geotag individual location settings, and basically control every aspect of their listening experience, in any environment. It’s the kind of hearing device that doesn’t just improve people’s hearing—it gives them such bionic precision and control over their aural environment that even people without hearing problems may soon become interested in them; not to achieve “normal” hearing, but to enhance and improve their natural hearing.

Journey’s Jonathan Cain is on that path. “I don’t just want to hear better, I want to hear music the way my sound engineer hears it,” says Cain. “When we’re mixing a song, I need to hear every element.” Neither Cain or Valory wears hearing aids in performance, because they have equally sophisticated in-ear monitors onstage, but both recognize that if they want to keep performing, they’re going to need their ears.

Hearing loss is an occupational hazard of rock-and-roll, they know, especially for aging boomers. According to a frequently cited German study, professional musicians are four times more likely to experience hearing loss as they age than other people. Phil Collins stopped touring a few years ago because of his hearing. Eric Clapton blames his early years cranking his amps as high as the would go for the tinnitus he suffers from now. Many other aging rockers—e.g., Neil Young, Sting, Paul Stanley (Kiss)—have become late-in-life advocates of hearing protection as well, because they all know first-hand that loud music can be a lot of fun; until it isn’t.

The irony of rock stars preaching the gospel of sensible sound levels is not lost on these guys. Yes, they ushered in the era of arena rock, and continue to make a comfy living from it. But age and perspective and not a little bit of pain have prompted them to sound like parents warning their kids to “turn it down!”

“At a certain point, it becomes hazardous,” says Cain. “Concerts don’t need to be that loud.”

So if you go to Journey’s show, pay attention to your ears. If it’s not “loud enough” for you, and you start wishing they would crank it up, you might want to have your hearing checked. “Our mix is perfect, crisp, right where you want it,” insists Cain.

Any louder and they’d be in danger of sounding like U2.

Or worse: Van Halen.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Ross Valory Jonathan Cain get outfitted for new hearing

Postby Memorex » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Smart. My ears blew out at a Springsteen concert and many since. And headphones. I'll never get that back. And i'm not standing in front of marshals or earn my living playing sounds. I really hope hearing-related advances grow by leaps and bounds.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:28 pm

Journey’s Jonathan Cain: Why He Won’t Stop Believin'

August 6, 2016 Stephanie Stephens

http://parade.com/497353/stephaniesteph ... -believin/
- read full article

... You’ve done your share of solo work. What’s up now?

I’m coming out with a Christian rock album called What God Wants to Hear. I’m also working with Paula on a very cinematic spoken word project, celebrating prayer and praise in all their glory, set to music. I’m putting my team together now and will do these independently. I see a way for me to make a difference with this music.

And something else is brewing, yes?

I’m working on a book, a memoir of my life, a coming-of-age story. I tell the story of Journey as the guy who wrote the songs. There’s a lot about Chicago in the ‘50s, and how my dad prophesied that I’d be so successful in music, playing to thousands of people at a time.

How’s your health?

I have high blood pressure and I came close to having a heart attack about five years ago when that was undiagnosed. I was on the side of the road in a rental car, and I asked the Lord to help me out of this. I’ll be on medication for the rest of my life.

Now to self-care: How are you doing with that? I mean, all this travel…

I play golf, I ski and I love baseball. I also ride horses—hunter/jumper. Every hotel has a gym. I do stretching every day and I stay hydrated with lots of water, like Fiji Water in the dressing room. I try to eat the right things like lettuce wraps. I don’t eat a lot of bread, rice or pasta—those carbs. I’m more of a protein guy and I’ve done the Zone Diet.

You make vino at Finale Wines. Is it good?

Yes, and it’s a labor of love, blending the arts of music and wine-making. It’s also a way for us to raise money for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The band has raised more than $250,000. I focus on Make-A-Wish Middle Tennessee, based in Brentwood, and I head up a gala every January. I lived in Nashville for seven years. Charity begins closest to home.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:14 am

I find it obnoxious he would talk about other bands like that. And not real smart, either.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:17 am

most of the other bands probably wouldn't recognize who Cain is..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:17 am

I've been to tons of concerts in my life. Way too many to remember all of them. But the single loudest concert that I ever went to was a Bad English concert back in 1989. I had to plug my ears numerous times through the concert because the shrill hurt like hell. My ears were ringing for days after that.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:29 am

Eric wrote:I find it obnoxious he would talk about other bands like that. And not real smart, either.

He's probably beyond caring what other bands think. Just giving his perspective, like we do on here. I do find it funny that he describes their mix as "perfect" and "crisp". From what many have posted here, some fans wouldn't agree.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:30 am

slucero wrote:most of the other bands probably wouldn't recognize who Cain is..

Doubtful. He has written or co-written a couple of the most popular songs of all time. They know.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:33 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:I've been to tons of concerts in my life. Way too many to remember all of them. But the single loudest concert that I ever went to was a Bad English concert back in 1989. I had to plug my ears numerous times through the concert because the shrill hurt like hell. My ears were ringing for days after that.

Mine was Abraxas Pool at the NFL Experience up in Frisco. It was absolutely obnoxious. I was standing maybe 20 feet fromt he stage and as soon as they started playing, it sounded like the air was cracking and i wanted to pass out. We have to walk back 50 yards just to make out one note from the next.

That was the weekend Jerry Rice caught three touchdowns against the Raisers to break the all time touchdown record, a game which I was at. This has nothing to do with my point. I just like saying it. :)
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:23 am

Maybe he needs to go out in the audience once in awhile....clean and crisp are not the words most fans use when describing the sound. Maybe we all need some of those state of the art hearing aids to make it sound better!!
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby scarab » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:56 am

scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:58 pm

I always said Journey concerts don't seem that loud. People claim I was getting old, but this article admits their concerts aren't as loud as other concerts. After the Journey concert last year, I didn't have ringing in my ears at all. When I went to the Ted Nugent concert, I had ringing in my ears all night.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Archetype » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:02 am

I'm glad to live in a time where hearing aids and hearing rehabilitation are making huge advances. Between competitive and recreational shooting, a love of rock concerts, and time in the military, I'm fairly confident I'll have hearing issues come up eventually.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:27 am

Eric wrote:I find it obnoxious he would talk about other bands like that. And not real smart, either.

The last part of the article is not in "" so that was the writer of the article saying US or worse Van Halen.
Cain comments about those two bands earlier in the interview was about how loud the bands were, not about the band being bad. At lest that is how I took it.
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Return to Journey