Journey SF Fest @ AT&T Park

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey SF Fest @ AT&T Park

Postby Lora » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:10 am

When I heard Santana was reuniting with it's original members, putting out an album and doing some shows I was thrilled! I would get to see Gregg Rolie & Neal Schon together again.

When the show at AT&T Park was announced, I was so excited! Maybe Gregg would sit in with Journey as well. AND...Steve Smith was back! $300 a ticket? Ouch. But it would be worth it.

I didn't care to see Tower Of Power, Doobies or Steve (ick) Miller, so got there right before Santana hit the stage. Did I see Gregg Rolie, Michael Shrieve, or Michael Carabello? No. I sat there in disbelieve for most of the set watching the current line up of Santana. Did Neal come out to join them for even one song? No. WTF. :evil:

I almost left at the end of their set but I wanted to see Steve Smith, so I stayed. He saved the whole show for me. I can't believe the HUGE difference he makes. I never saw anyone so happy to be on stage. The smile never left his face. His drum solo was the highlight of the night. I had forgotten what a brilliant musician he is.

I hadn't seen Journey since 2009-ish. Can't remember exactly. But this was a different band. Jon was engaged and happy, Neal played a couple of solos, one of which was exquisite. Arnel was Arnel. Still can't deal with his diction and phrasing and he screwed up the words a few times, but it was the last show of the tour and I'm sure he was pretty tired. At least he wasn't vaulting all over the stage all night.

So, I'm glad I went. It was not worth $300. It was nothing special - except for Steve Smith!
Lora
8 Track

Re: Journey SF Fest @ AT&T Park

Postby scarab » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:27 am

When I heard of the Santana/Journey tour I was thinking this will be the first concert I will go to since the JSS debacle.

To hear Rolie play on a few Journey hits, and maybe a Pre-perry song was worth the price of the ticket alone.
Little did I know he would not play with Journey at all.
And the Steve Miller pairing, I dont get it at all. Doobie Brothers not a great fit as well. Both band should be doing there own thing headlining.
AS great as Steve Smith is live, I will wait for his next solo tour.
Seen Augeri led Journey 6 times, when they played deep cuts and new songs.

i truly hope they will bring this Escape/Frontiers tour to the states.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:04 am

It's extremely disappointing that Rolie has not been sitting in with Journey at all during the Journey/Santana shows. I don't know if that's Cain's ego that is preventing that from happening, or what?

Schon should also be sitting in with Santana during those shows as well.

I have absolutely zero problems with Arnel's singing. He does a fantastic job. But I do miss how the band would play deeper cuts during the Augeri years. The shows were so much more fun during those years, which is no fault of Arnel.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:50 am

I watched a bit of the Journey set on a link from another page, the crowd really seemed into "Lights", at least. I saw Journey for the first time last year, when Omar was on drums. What I would give to see Smitty. He has been posting his drum solos, but nothing beats the real thing.

So sorry you didn't have the experience you expected, but at least you enjoyed some of it. 300 dollars is a lot of money, but I would have paid it too, if I had the chance to go. Thanks for your honest review.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:20 am

I almost went (in MN). Was so close just for Smith. But could not do it. Could not hear the same 12 songs. I wish I had of now. Just for Smith and Neal. Hopefully Smith remains for a while.

That Santana was not the "original" lineup should have been made clear. #lame

Night Ranger should have been on the ticket rather than one or two of the others, or in addition. Even Starship.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:12 am

NS on his FB

n2.PNG
n2.PNG (33.73 KiB) Viewed 2021 times

n3.PNG
n3.PNG (31.96 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:26 am

tater1977 wrote:NS on his FB

n2.PNG

n3.PNG

Cettainly not indicative of the San Francisco spirit of their time. Lame
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:32 am

Memorex wrote:

n2.PNG

n3.PNG

Cettainly not indicative of the San Francisco spirit of their time. Lame

Wonder if the whole story behind the "inter band politics" will ever come out. Big mistake not to have Gregg there.
Last edited by perryfan61 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:43 am

Haven't their always been issues between these guys over the years. It seems they can handle being together for about 27 minutes and then not so much.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Lora » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:20 am

n2.PNG

n3.PNG

This makes me very sad but doesn't surprise me. The music industry as a whole is a piece of shit now. But judging from the crowd at that show, I don't think the majority even knew original members weren't there. People were there to drink beer, smoke pot and remember their glory days. They want to hear the songs and that's all that matters. But for some of us who spent $300 and made the effort to go to a show at AT&T Park - a place I would normally NEVER see a show, it blows.
Lora
8 Track

Postby brywool » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:38 am

Probably trying to keep them apart due to Carlos' beating the Steve Perry drum.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby WalrusOct9 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:44 am

Bummer you didn't care about seeing Tower Of Power. Probably the best band on the bill.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:32 am

Lora wrote:

n2.PNG

n3.PNG

This makes me very sad but doesn't surprise me. The music industry as a whole is a piece of shit now. But judging from the crowd at that show, I don't think the majority even knew original members weren't there. People were there to drink beer, smoke pot and remember their glory days. They want to hear the songs and that's all that matters. But for some of us who spent $300 and made the effort to go to a show at AT&T Park - a place I would normally NEVER see a show, it blows.

That does blow.

How do Neal, Gregg and Carlos go from doing an album together, playing together at MSG, Carlos on-air offering to play peacemaker between Neal and Perry only to end up with a complete separation like this at a historic event? Very sad. #lifeisshort

Glad you got to see Smitty playing with them again Lora. I had the same reaction as you at their Irvine show. It was a family reunion of sorts, and I was thrilled to see their instrumental chemistry pick up right where it left off. There was just one oh so important element missing...
Last edited by STORY_TELLER on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby SF-Dano » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:45 am

I do believe the ticket buying audience is owed and deserves a much better explanation. Not from Schon, but from Santana. Everything leading up to the actual gig strongly (and I mean strongly) implied that it would be the Santana reunion band.
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby Lora » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:18 am

SF-Dano wrote: Everything leading up to the actual gig strongly (and I mean strongly) implied that it would be the Santana reunion band.

I was starting to think I imagined all of that. It's good to see other people having the same reaction to the original members not being there. What a let down. I was so ready to see Gregg Rolie behind those keyboards. :cry:
Lora
8 Track

Postby Lora » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:23 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
Lora wrote:

n2.PNG

n3.PNG

That does blow.

How do Neal, Gregg and Carlos go from doing an album together, playing together at MSG, Carlos on-air offering to play peacemaker between Neal and Perry only to end up with a complete separation like this at a historic event? Very sad. #lifeisshort

Glad you got to see Smitty playing with them again Lora. I had the same reaction as you at their Irvine show. It was a family reunion of sorts, and I was thrilled to see their instrumental chemistry pick up right where it left off. There was just one oh so important missing element...

I don't understand either. There was so much hype about them all getting back together and putting out new music. I would sure like to know what the hell happened.

Yep. Journey chemistry is back! After just one song it was so evident. I didn't realize what an impact Steve Smith has on the band. He saved the show for me. :D
Lora
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:06 pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/2243029 ... _tab=posts

Lots of pro/con comments.
Some are of course, part of the concert/event going experience.
But if you read some of the comments ... :roll:

- Seems most complaints are Journey's sound system again.
- Journey's music was too loud, crowd couldn't hear the little guy.
- Sound was going in and out.
- Pigeons were dive bombing the nose bleed sections for food.
- Neal's guitar cord shorted out, but was quickly fixed.
- Too many solos.
- Band members kept walking off stage, then coming back on.
- Many left early during Journey's set ... for different reasons.
- Many disappointed , that Gregg and Neal didn't appear with Santana,
but Santana was the highlight of the night .

- 2 girls started cpr on a man in the aisle last night in section 105.
- Long bathroom waits for BOTH men/women.
- HIGH prices for food.
- Long waits in line for food.
- Vendors running out of stock.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2243029 ... 268292959/

Phil Hawkins

Yesterday at 12:53pm ·

Well as someone who went to more Day on the greens then I remember at this point, I'm glad I went, but resolved never to ruin my memories again. I remember $20 something tickets, blankets, clouds of sweet smelling smoke, botta bags and some of the best music, what arguably could be considered the greatest time in recent generations for Music, the 70 and 80's (I know every generation says that). The day on the greens showcased that, it was a good time to be alive. We were young and free. It was also pre political correctness and 9/11.

I take pictures, thought it might be worth lugging my camera and a couple lens to the show, checked and found that as long as I wasn't obstructing someone else's view it was ok. Not so after waiting in line I was told I was not allowed into the park, not because they restricted photo's, because they said I might drop my camera on somebody's head or worst use it as a wepon, I explained that I was on the field level and there weren't any heads for my camera to fall on, go to customer service I'm told, 20 mins in line there and they said we just deal with tickets, go see security. I gave up walked the mile back to the car, unloaded my gear. After an hour and a half I was in my seat, missed Tower of power all together.

Finally got to my seat in section 1, good spot, 5-6 seats in from the isle. Getting into the Doobies when a yellow shirted security Gal points at someone and starts gesturing with her hands, there on after I noticed two guards roaming up and down the isle looking intently into the crowd in what seemed like ever couple of minutes or so. People started dancing in the isle, it was starting to feel like old times until security came and told them "no dancing in the isles"

My girlfriend came back with a carafe of Wine she said she paid $50 for....really?...

The last time I saw the Doobies, Michael Mcdonald was crooning in his unmistakable velvet voice, Steve "Guitar" Miller was amazing, the surprise of the show, the sound was crisp, the band tight and the Music good. Carlos was Carlos, I felt like I was watching history, he will go down as one of the greatest guitar players in history (IMHO), just amazing.

I am a big Journey fan and there were rumblings of a reunion with Steve Perry, why else would Journey be closing the show right? Wouldn't that normally be Carlos Santana's job.

Let me say Arnel Pineda sounds pretty good, and if you close your eyes, it almost works, almost. He dosen't have the soul of Steve Perry and when you open your eyes, it's not Steve Perry, it's like you strayed into Karaoke night at the local Pub. I tried......I looked around and the crowd that had been on their feet, fist pumping and dancing it in their respective, allowed area's (Security!!), where still.

This is San Francisco, this is the ballpark that plays "lights" with Steve Perry, he's a Giants Fan and can be seen at games during the course of the year. How did the promoters think this would go. Well 3-4 songs into the set, people started heading for the door, this was during the headlining act!!! The Faux Journey should have been the first of second act as constituted, sorry. Santana would have sent me and countless others home with a smile on or faces, instead of what just happened?

All in all it was worth the $750+ to fully appreciate once again and remember the past.

Tony Padilla - Yes Phil the price of going has gone up but I remember paying $15 for a ticket and $.45 cents for gas. Wages at that time was 3.00 to 4.00 meant that $15 was lot.

Yesterday at 2:43pm

Phil Hawkins yea your right...still
Yesterday at 2:44pm

Tony Padilla - Phil Hawkins yes we still paid the price and went yesterday and have no regrets.
Yesterday at 2:45pm

Phil Hawkins - Tony Padilla I have no regrets either really, and to be honest the money, the cost of living really has nothing to do with it, Except mabe the excessive cost of food and alcohol. My post was really more about the changes from that time to this. Sure we all get older, the bands are older. But Day on the Green represented a different time. When we had more freedoms. Pot was illegal then but largely ignored, we sat on blankets drinking the alcohol we had smuggled in botta bags etc. without a care in the world. This year we passed through metal detectors, empty'd our pockets, the security seemed to always be in your face, I took the time to look at the security folks, probably none of them really knew the bands on stage, cept mabe Santana, they were eyeballing everyone suspiciously and searching for problems, none greater then people trying to relive the past and dance in the aisles. It was innocence lost to me. Days on the Green are just a distant memory, I guess I was hoping this was a chance to relive that and it fell a tad short. But in terms of concert experiences it was one of the better ones, perhaps they should have called it something else to avoid the comparisons.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:49 pm

Lesson learned...you can't go back to the glory days. The venue was not the best place to have a show like this, I guess. Imagine, no dancing in the aisles!!! How are you supposed to just sit there with all that music going on??!
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby SF-Dano » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:10 am

Was Gregg even at the venue?? :?
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby Lora » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:13 am

tater1977 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/events/224302914587562/?active_tab=post

- Seems most complaints are Journey's sound system again.
- Journey's music was too loud, crowd couldn't hear the little guy.
- Sound was going in and out.
- Too many solos.
- Band members kept walking off stage, then coming back on.
- Many left early during Journey's set ... for different reasons.
- Many disappointed , that Gregg and Neal didn't appear with Santana, but Santana was the highlight of the night .
- Long bathroom waits for BOTH men/women.
- HIGH prices for food.
- Long waits in line for food.

Some valid points but an explanation for some.

People left during Journey's set because the temperature had dropped from 70 degrees when they arrived to 55 degrees and windy. Many people did not dress appropriately and were freezing their asses off. I don't believe people left because Journey wasn't bringing it. I was on the field and everyone was on their feet for Journey' entire set.

Too many solos? Huh? Jon had one, Steve Smith had one, I think Neal had 3 - "Amazing Grace" for his mom who recently died, "Star Spangled Banner" which he plays at all shows, and a short, exquisite dream-after-dream-like solo that almost had me in tears.

Journey did have sound problems, but when do they not? The vocals were down a bit in the mix but that was okay with me. :wink:

High prices for food, long lines for the bathroom, long lines for food - what do you think will happen when there are 50,000 people in one place?

Disappointed because Gregg Rolie wasn't there? Yep. I can totally agree with that one but I don't agree that Santana was the highlight of the night.
Lora
8 Track

Postby Lora » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:14 am

SF-Dano wrote:Was Gregg even at the venue?? :?

I seriously doubt it. He would have no reason to make the trip when he wasn't playing. I'm still PISSED. :evil:
Lora
8 Track

Postby Journey/Survivor » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:49 am

Journey was always the most fun to see when they played more of the non-hit songs, and when all of the musicians played solos at all of the shows.

I'd give up hearing Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' and Lights for the ten billionth time if it meant extra solos from Neal, Steve-S, Jonathan and Ross.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:02 am

Lora wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Too many solos? Huh? Jon had one, Steve Smith had one, I think Neal had 3 - "Amazing Grace" for his mom who recently died, "Star Spangled Banner" which he plays at all shows, and a short, exquisite dream-after-dream-like solo that almost had me in tears.

I've seen the "too many solos" comment from reviewers, but all of them are "journalists" (see paid critics). It's their job to poo-poo something. They don't get paid to toss around kudos.

Here's what I don't understand about those comments:
What would they have preferred to see? Songs perfectly recreated off the album? Hello? It's a concert!

As far as I'm concerned, ALL live acts should tweak their recorded material and throw some spontaneity into the performance. Just to prove it's a LIVE performance if nothing else.

Throwing in a solo here and there is a cool thing. An even cooler thing would be to tweak some of their set list to include mashups of some of the deeper cuts. Maybe start off with a hit, break it up in the middle to transition to another tune, split into a third, then return to the first song and finish it off. Find some solo moments as bridges between the songs and wallah, you have a band actually PERFORMING on stage as opposed to behaving like a live action jukebox.

I for one don't go to a concert to hear the exact same version of the songs I have on my albums. I think live music should stretch out and breath. Its far more entertaining to throw the audience a curve ball here and there. It shakes things up. Gets their blood pumping and holds their attention. It also has the added benefit of breaking up the monotony for the band who have to play the same set list again and again.

My 2 cents of course....
ST
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Lora » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:08 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
Lora wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Too many solos? Huh? Jon had one, Steve Smith had one, I think Neal had 3 - "Amazing Grace" for his mom who recently died, "Star Spangled Banner" which he plays at all shows, and a short, exquisite dream-after-dream-like solo that almost had me in tears.

I've seen the "too many solos" comment from reviewers, but all of them are "journalists" (see paid critics). It's their job to poo-poo something. They don't get paid to toss around kudos.

Here's what I don't understand about those comments:
What would they have preferred to see? Songs perfectly recreated off the album? Hello? It's a concert!

As far as I'm concerned, ALL live acts should tweak their recorded material and throw some spontaneity into the performance. Just to prove it's a LIVE performance if nothing else.

Throwing in a solo here and there is a cool thing. An even cooler thing would be to tweak some of their set list to include mashups of some of the deeper cuts. Maybe start off with a hit, break it up in the middle to transition to another tune, split into a third, then return to the first song and finish it off. Find some solo moments as bridges between the songs and wallah, you have a band actually PERFORMING on stage as opposed to behaving like a live action jukebox.

I for one don't go to a concert to hear the exact same version of the songs I have on my albums. I think live music should stretch out and breath. Its far more entertaining to throw the audience a curve ball here and there. It shakes things up. Gets their blood pumping and holds their attention. It also has the added benefit of breaking up the monotony for the band who have to play the same set list again and again.

My 2 cents of course....
ST

I so totally agree. I don't understand the concert-goer who wants to hear the songs exactly as they are on the record. Jonathan incorporated bits of various Journey songs into his solo and it was nice. The only solo that I got bored with that night was Cindy Blackman Santana's solo. She was amazing, but the solo was soooooooo freaking long. Too much for me. I know Neal has been criticized for being self-indulgent in his solos, but at the show I attended, I didn't feel that way at all.
Lora
8 Track

Postby DrFU » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Lora wrote:
SF-Dano wrote:Was Gregg even at the venue?? :?

I seriously doubt it. He would have no reason to make the trip when he wasn't playing. I'm still PISSED. :evil:

Me too. I felt robbed. Even the Ghiradelli sundae in one hand and the $12 beer in the other didn't help.
DrFU
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:43 am

Gregg Rolie has to my knowledge played 1 song with Journey since Perry left.

I hope someday we know why? I Know NEal says its not up to him, but who is it then?

I was really hoping to see Journey with Santana, would have been my first since JSS. But I guess in hindsight I saved a lot of $.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby brandonx76 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:45 am

Strange, but I guess it was the right decision not to go -

and I'm a huge Smith fan, that would have been the big draw, but $300 tickets? Christ.... things are so fucking expensive in San Francisco/bay area...how can people really afford to live in these over-priced areas...

And, surprised to hear inter-band politicking now?! I guess the stripes of the tiger don't change..Geeze - disappointing...Neal seems pretty cool tho to share some details.

I recently watched on Direct TV the Santana reunion with Rolie and Schon. So wonder what happened / what was up within the last few months. I would speculate something to do with Cain.
brandonx76
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:27 am

Yes, I too think that Cain is a big part of the problem. I used to think that Cain was possibly the most respectable human being in Journey. But I've lost of respect for him in recent years. He seems to be all about money anymore, and nothing else, when it comes to Journey.

He selfishly refuses to work on new Journey music, yet still wants to tour with them to pile up his stacks of money even higher.
He's being a hypocrite by trying to keep Gregg Rolie away from Journey, and yet at the same time refusing to work on new Journey music.

Neal seemed to also suggest that band management is trying to keep the Journey and Santana band members apart. Well, it's time to dump the current management. It's your band, Neal. Take it back!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:49 am

n.JPG
n.JPG (30.53 KiB) Viewed 1250 times

https://www.facebook.com/schonmusic?fref=photo
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:03 am

I wonder which management team is causing the problem? Could it be over something silly, like who opens for who in the long term? Personally I think the two bands are a perfect match.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Journey