Journey SF Fest @ AT&T Park

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Journey SF Fest @ AT&T Park

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:55 am

But Tower Of Power with Journey was a good package??? :?

Nothing against Tower Of Power. In fact they have guested on a few albums that I own. But if you ask me, Tower Of Power was a bizarre choice of bands to team up with Journey. Even the Doobie Brothers and Dave Mason were bordering on unusual choices to tour with Journey.

Santana are a far better fit to tour with Journey than several of the bands that Journey have toured with in recent years.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:55 am

Art Vandelay wrote:

I wonder which management team is causing the problem? Could it be over something silly, like who opens for who in the long term? Personally I think the two bands are a perfect match.

Oooohhhh... okay, this is boiling down to a packaging issue. I agree that Santana and Journey make perfect MUSICAL sense on the same bill, but I'm guessing management doesn't consider them a strong enough draw. I have to believe they have a chart of relatively recent concert sales figures they're referring to in drawing these conclusions. Doobies on their own probably sell more seats than Santana in recent years so that would go a long way to explaining their logic.

I don't get the tower of power or Dave Mason thing, but it's possible it was an in the moment compromise to Neal. I'm guessing of course...
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:43 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

I wonder which management team is causing the problem? Could it be over something silly, like who opens for who in the long term? Personally I think the two bands are a perfect match.

Oooohhhh... okay, this is boiling down to a packaging issue. I agree that Santana and Journey make perfect MUSICAL sense on the same bill, but I'm guessing management doesn't consider them a strong enough draw. I have to believe they have a chart of relatively recent concert sales figures they're referring to in drawing these conclusions. Doobies on their own probably sell more seats than Santana in recent years so that would go a long way to explaining their logic.

I don't get the tower of power or Dave Mason thing, but it's possible it was an in the moment compromise to Neal. I'm guessing of course...

I would think that Santana would have more of a cross-over appeal, since his last few albums featured contemporary artists. It kinda put him on rock royalty level, along with artists like Stevie Wonder and Elton John. But I don't follow the sales numbers, so you could be right about the Doobies selling more tickets. Who knows.

I absolutely agree with you on the Tower of Power thing. I've seen them a number of times with the Average White Band, and they are no doubt a solid band who gets you up and moving. David Garibaldi and Rocco Prestia have an awesome groove together. I love seeing them live, but never once thought to myself "man, these guys would be great touring with Journey". Although it did work when they played the King Biscuit Flower Hour in 1978
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:27 am

Are they done for 2016?
All I have heard is about the Asia tour next year. And I am sure that will be just selected dates.
I cant see the Ms Schon or Ms Cain going for anything more than that.
Last edited by scarab on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:40 am

scarab wrote:Are they done for 2016?
All I have heard is about the Asia tour next year. An I am sure that will be just selected dates.
I cant see the Ms Schon or Ms Cain going for that.

I believe so. Smith is booked up all through September and October with jazz gigs and clinics in November.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:46 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I absolutely agree with you on the Tower of Power thing. I've seen them a number of times with the Average White Band, and they are no doubt a solid band who gets you up and moving. David Garibaldi and Rocco Prestia have an awesome groove together. I love seeing them live, but never once thought to myself "man, these guys would be great touring with Journey". Although it did work when they played the King Biscuit Flower Hour in 1978

It boils down to marketing. It always does.

I'm admittedly not that familiar with Tower of Power's work. Don't have their records. But I could see them being an energetic pick up your feet band that would be an awesome opener. An appetizer if you will.

The problem with that is it's the kind of thing most people don't think of when they see the advertising for the event. It's the kind of thing they wake up to and realize in the moment when they're at the show, but it doesn't drive ticket sales.

A double bill of Journey and one of their hit making contemporaries does (i.e. Foreigner, Def Leppard, etc.).

That's the position of management. The biggest buck for the bang.

Now having said that, I think it was a huge mistake to get between Journey and Santana for the day on the green show. This was about a revival of history and to do anything that would take away from that sense of recreation for the fans was a public relations disaster, especially at those ticket prices. The result could be that fans will not trust the advertising in the future and that will affect sales.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Lora » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:04 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:Now having said that, I think it was a huge mistake to get between Journey and Santana for the day on the green show. This was about a revival of history and to do anything that would take away from that sense of recreation for the fans was a public relations disaster, especially at those ticket prices. The result could be that fans will not trust the advertising in the future and that will affect sales.

Spot on. I won't be buying tickets for a Santana Reunion Tour in the future because I do not trust that I will actually be seeing founding members of Santana. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....well, you know how that one goes.
Lora
8 Track

Postby tj » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:41 am

scarab wrote:Gregg Rolie has to my knowledge played 1 song with Journey since Perry left.

I hope someday we know why? I Know NEal says its not up to him, but who is it then?

I was really hoping to see Journey with Santana, would have been my first since JSS. But I guess in hindsight I saved a lot of $.

The only other constant during that time has been Cain. It can't help with things like Deano's shoutin "Gregg Rolieeeeeee" at the Vegas (I think) show instead of Cain all those years ago (I know why he did it, but it has to get under Cain's skin after all the years and hits he had in the band to that point.)
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:44 am

Does Management have that much control over the bands? I can see if Herbie were still in charge, but Baruck? It would be pretty sad if Journey has contracted themselves into a box in such a way as to not be able to appear on stage with another group or band to play from time to time without management's permission.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:13 pm

scarab wrote:Are they done for 2016?
All I have heard is about the Asia tour next year. And I am sure that will be just selected dates.
I cant see the Ms Schon or Ms Cain going for anything more than that.

JUST ADDED -

Journey ONLY
November 19, 2016 Scottsdale, AZ

Journeymusic Presale: Sept 21 at 10am- Sept 23 at 5pm.

Public On Sale: Sept 26

TSR - Talking Stick Resort) Pool
Address : 9800 Talking Stick Way
State : AZ
Zip : 85256
Phone : (480) 850-7777
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:36 am

JUST ADDED -

Journey ONLY
November 19, 2016 Scottsdale, AZ

I wonder if Journey will perform the full Escape album and the full Frontiers album at this event. They should do encore of Lights, Wheel In The Sky and Any Way You Want It, and it would be an awesome show!
JourneyHard
LP

Postby SF-Dano » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:31 am

Really still disappointed about the lack of interaction between bands at AT&T show. Got me thinking that if they were to do something like that again, I would hope they do it with a more 80s based feel. Did the 70s this last go around so........anyways, dreaming a bit here, but if Journey could put together another SF Fest/Day on the Green. Hear is a lineup of BA groups that would make sense in my opinion
Journey
Sammy Hagar
Night Ranger
Y&T
Huey Lewis & The News

Digging a bit deeper (other possibilities):
The Tubes
Joe Satriani
Greg Khin

And for f sake, plan out some interaction/jams. God I miss those days. It made individual shows special. Miss stuff like this happening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcQiC1irsE
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:08 am

Journey/Sammy Hagar would be a kick ass show to see. How did that not already happen?

Question is: Is Sammy still down for touring on the same kind of scale as Journey's tours?
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby sniper16 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:16 am

pretty sure sammy does not want to do 5 shows a week for 3 months, he plays about 20 shows a year now, and those have been as short as 1:15 with the circle.
i think mgmt saw smaller crowds this year with the doobie bros, and last with s miller , and want to return to the styx/reo/def lep/ type shows so you get 70/80's fans who liked both,
sniper16
8 Track

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:34 am

sniper16 wrote:pretty sure sammy does not want to do 5 shows a week for 3 months, he plays about 20 shows a year now, and those have been as short as 1:15 with the circle.
i think mgmt saw smaller crowds this year with the doobie bros, and last with s miller , and want to return to the styx/reo/def lep/ type shows so you get 70/80's fans who liked both,

Did they see smaller shows with the Doobie ticket? I thought I was reading a few posts from Neal saying they were sold out at a number of venues, no? Anyone have stats on the tour? Just curious...

Re: Sammy
I kind of thought he was taking it easy too. I remember reading an interview with him before the first Chicken Foot tour and he eluded to some self doubt on his part (I.E. "could he really do it like he used to"). Maybe they should consider a partial tour with him in select states or something. It would be a helluva show in California.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:08 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
sniper16 wrote:pretty sure sammy does not want to do 5 shows a week for 3 months, he plays about 20 shows a year now, and those have been as short as 1:15 with the circle.

Did they see smaller shows with the Doobie ticket? I thought I was reading a few posts from Neal saying they were sold out at a number of venues, no? Anyone have stats on the tour? Just curious...

Re: Sammy
I kind of thought he was taking it easy too. I remember reading an interview with him before the first Chicken Foot tour and he eluded to some self doubt on his part (I.E. "could he really do it like he used to"). Maybe they should consider a partial tour with him in select states or something. It would be a helluva show in California.

Just saw Sammy the other night. Was a great show. He sounds great. Band is great. Mood is great. Very fun show.

Not a ton of people. It was in a small town (Wayzata for you MN folk), but not super small either. I felt like a lot of it had to do with selling his rum, but the show itself was just straight up Sammy fun rock and roll. Amazing he still sounds this good.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:32 am

Memorex wrote:Just saw Sammy the other night. Was a great show. He sounds great. Band is great. Mood is great. Very fun show.

Not a ton of people. It was in a small town (Wayzata for you MN folk), but not super small either. I felt like a lot of it had to do with selling his rum, but the show itself was just straight up Sammy fun rock and roll. Amazing he still sounds this good.

When you stop and think about it, Sammy has a huge catalog of stuff to choose from. What was the set like? Mostly solo or VH or Chicken Foot, etc.?
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:19 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
Memorex wrote:Just saw Sammy the other night. Was a great show. He sounds great. Band is great. Mood is great. Very fun show.

When you stop and think about it, Sammy has a huge catalog of stuff to choose from. What was the set like? Mostly solo or VH or Chicken Foot, etc.?

Solo and VH and Zeppelin. 3 Zeppelin and the rest evenly split between solo and VH. One Montrose song.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:32 am

Memorex wrote:Solo and VH and Zeppelin. 3 Zeppelin and the rest evenly split between solo and VH. One Montrose song.

Cool thx. Surprised he didn't toss one Chicken Foot tune in there. Out of the solo efforts, please tell me one of them was "Heavy Metal". :?:
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:58 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
Memorex wrote:Solo and VH and Zeppelin. 3 Zeppelin and the rest evenly split between solo and VH. One Montrose song.

Cool thx. Surprised he didn't toss one Chicken Foot tune in there. Out of the solo efforts, please tell me one of them was "Heavy Metal". :?:

Yea. It was funny cause Don Felder opened. Good show. He lipped a lot of it, but it was good none the less. And he did his Heavy Metal song and he said it was from the movie in 1984. I'm like, uh, no. And then Sammy came out and correctly said 1981. Me thinks one did quite a bit more heavy drugs than the other. :)
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:03 am

Memorex wrote:
STORY_TELLER wrote:

Yea. It was funny cause Don Felder opened. Good show. He lipped a lot of it, but it was good none the less. And he did his Heavy Metal song and he said it was from the movie in 1984. I'm like, uh, no. And then Sammy came out and correctly said 1981. Me thinks one did quite a bit more heavy drugs than the other. :)

Wait, I'm confused. They both did their tunes from Heavy Metal or just Felder? I know Felder has a great tune called "takin' a ride (Heavy Metal)" and Sammy has his own tune titled "Heavy Metal". Both were on the HM soundtrack.

Felder lipped? Awww man. Guess Henley was right about him not being up to the Eagle standard. His guitar has such a great signature to it. Really rounded out the Eagles sound for me.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Memorex » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:52 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
Wait, I'm confused. They both did their tunes from Heavy Metal or just Felder? I know Felder has a great tune called "takin' a ride (Heavy Metal)" and Sammy has his own tune titled "Heavy Metal". Both were on the HM soundtrack.

Felder lipped? Awww man. Guess Henley was right about him not being up to the Eagle standard. His guitar has such a great signature to it. Really rounded out the Eagles sound for me.

Both did their Heavy Metal songs.

Yea, I didn't mind because I really didn't have much vested interest. But having never seen the Eagles before, it was actually very cool to hear all of the songs. His voice sounded great, even if it was recorded. He did a good job. But every time he would go to focus on a particular note on the guitar, he would pull away from the mic and the voice kept going.

Michael Anthony sang quite a few verses. I like old MIkey. Love the backgrounds, but he does not have a lead singer voice.

In the 80's when I saw Sammy with Van Halen, I described it as being the first show I felt like I was actually on stage with them. Just so feel good. Felt that again this time. It was great.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby WalrusOct9 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:25 am

sniper16 wrote:pretty sure sammy does not want to do 5 shows a week for 3 months, he plays about 20 shows a year now, and those have been as short as 1:15 with the circle,

Sammy can't replace himself with a younger vocalist. :lol: His voice is still in great shape for his age, but I doubt he can sing songs he wrote in his 20's and 30's at age 68 more than two or three times a week.

When he toured with Chickenfoot, they more or less only played Chickenfoot tunes, that were written for Sammy's current vocal range, so he can do more frequent shows with them. I'm hoping they do a 3rd Chickenfoot record at some point, I really dug that stuff.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:45 pm

Or better yet. Sammy should do a Planet US CD with Neal and Deen!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby nuraman00 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:23 am

SF-Dano wrote:Really still disappointed about the lack of interaction between bands at AT&T show. Got me thinking that if they were to do something like that again, I would hope they do it with a more 80s based feel. Did the 70s this last go around so........anyways, dreaming a bit here, but if Journey could put together another SF Fest/Day on the Green. Hear is a lineup of BA groups that would make sense in my opinion
Journey
Sammy Hagar
Night Ranger
Y&T
Huey Lewis & The News

Digging a bit deeper (other possibilities):
The Tubes
Joe Satriani
Greg Khin

And for f sake, plan out some interaction/jams. God I miss those days. It made individual shows special. Miss stuff like this happening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcQiC1irsE

Satriani on a festival bill would be pretty cool. Good idea.
nuraman00
Fresh Air

Postby nuraman00 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:49 am

Interesting that this show didn't meet many people's expectations.

I agree it was disappointing that Journey and Santana didn't collaborate, I thought that would have happened for a song.

As for the dancing on the isles, at least on the field, I think if too many people did it, it would obstruct the vendors walking the isles.

Near me, there were lines in the isles 12+ people long for hot chocolate by the time Santana came on. Earlier, there were smaller lines for lemonade or candy, while the show was going on.

At least on the field, I thought there was a good amount of space to dance in one's seat area.

Also, at any stadium I've been to, fans are never allowed in the isles, so I just expect security to keep people in their rows.

I've also seen at shows where people buy a cheap ticket, and print out a fake ticket for a lower level, and stand in the isle. But if people are in their seat area, then the fake ticket printers can't do that.

Other than that, though:

Doobie Brothers:

I didn't know anything by them beforehand. I liked "Jesus Is Just Alright".

Steve Miller Band:

I liked the overall rhythms of their songs more than Doobie Brothers, they were more interesting.

They don't show much energy, but they can still play.

Santana:

First time seeing them since 2008. I like them. The "Roxanne" snippet during "Smooth" was cool. "Evil Ways", and "Love Makes The World Go 'Round" were good.

They play with so much enthusiasm, their entire band. And they'll incorporate different styles of music.

Journey:

It was cool that one of their core drummers, Steve Smith, was back. Arnel is a good singer, and has tons of energy.

"Stone In Love" and "Faithfully" were great to hear.

"Separate Ways" is a great way to kick off a set.

This was a good show. My preference would be to see the 3 latter bands headline at their own shows, but for this festival format, they all did a good job.

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/dZzIz/layout/grid

I also recorded a few songs. This wasn't a good recording, for some reason everything is only heard from the left side. I've recorded at other shows too, even from one side of the stage, but didn't face that issue. Oh well, here they are:

Santana - Black Magic Woman + Gypsy Queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH8pTZ0zbik

Santana - Smooth, Band Introductions, Roxanne snippet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7PaE52odOQ

Journey - Wheel In The Sky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixrXEQwyYmE

Journey - Faithfully

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyEREinUuMM
nuraman00
Fresh Air

Postby nuraman00 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:04 am

Does anyone know where I can get a shirt with all of the bands on it (Doobie Brothers, Steve Miller Band, Santana, and Journey)?

I tried emailing the Journey store. I got a generic response that their online store changes periodically and to keep checking back.

I tried emailing the Santana store, they said it's not available through the Santana store.

I tried emailing AT&T Park. They said the merchandise left with the bands, and to try Journey's website.

I tried emailing the SF Chronicle, because they covered the event. Peter Hartlaub either the Journey store or to try and find a Facebook page for San Francisco Fest.

I then posted on the San Francisco Fest page, no response.

I can't find one on eBay with all of the bands, from 2016, either.
nuraman00
Fresh Air

Postby tater1977 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Wonder now if this had anything to do with the non-inter action at AT&T Park ?
Was it the managers or the players ?

2.JPG
2.JPG (20.84 KiB) Viewed 410 times

Carlos Santana tells Billboard he could see a Desert Trip-like future for the reunited lineup.
10/20/2016 by Gary Graff

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... -exclusive

"It was like revisiting an old friend in a way that you can close your eyes and you don't see the years that passed by," Santana tells Billboard. "It's the same ocean. It's the same joy, the same respect. It was very natural and normal. People call it organic; I call it symbiotic to play with these musicians because we talk very little and we just point at it and hit it. It was very easy to do. It was like Billie Holiday says -- 'you open the faucet and water pours.'"

Santana IV -- Santana, singer-keyboardist Gregg Rolie, guitarist Neal Schon, drummer Michael Shrieve, percussionist Michael Carabello and with three members of Santana's other Supernatural band -- played just four shows during the spring in support of the Santana IV album. That's not a lot, of course, and there's clearly an appetite for more -- from fans, promoters, and the band itself. Santana says the key is figuring out schedules -- of his primary band, Schon with Journey, Rolie with Ringo Starr and Schrieve with his various projects -- and also getting a financial strategy in place that's acceptable to all band members.

"We're going to have a meeting next Monday and talk about how we can get to the next level," Santana says. "It's a matter of figuring out how are we going to distribute energy -- not only musically but financially -- and honor everybody." That means settling on terms and mitigating resentments before the group plots another album or more shows.

"We're not what we used to be in 1970," Santana explains. "We used to split everything evenly, like the Grateful Dead and some bands still do. That's not fair anymore because yours truly and Neal and Gregg, we've been on the road taking the name higher and more brighter. It cannot be distributed equally anymore because it would not be fair. We all have to have an understanding of how to honor and respect each other in a way that's what yours is yours and God bless it, and what's mine is mine and God bless it so we can make the music on stage and on a CD, record again. Certain things have to be crystallized for us to take it to the next level so there's no hidden shadows of discord or misperception. I love playing with musicians where there's an understanding spiritually and monetarily -- who we are, where we are and where we're going. It needs to be addressed so we can agree and we look each other in the eye and then we can play music with each other in such a way each person is compensated spiritually, monetarily, psychologically and financially."

Santana did look at this month's Desert Trip festival as a possible home for a future Santana performance, too. And he's confident the group could bring something different to that party. "I was really happy it was successful for everyone but there was only one fidelity, and that was nostalgia," he explains. "None of those bands are playing anything new. Just personally as an individual, I don't want to be stuck like a ghost in some jukebox in another era. Even though we just record this last album, Santana IV, we don't sound like we're trying to sound like something that happened already, you know? We need some forward-thinking."

Santana's Supernatural band is preparing for its next recording project, and Santana plans to work with Rick Rubin on an album tentatively called Searching For Mona Lisa. No collaborations have been set in stone yet, but Santana doesn't hide the fact that the goal is another commercial triumph.

"I dream big, y'know?" he says. "I reach out to [Rubin] because my intentionality is to get back to the top 10 or No. 1 on the radio, to get back to the Super Bowl and the World Cup. Right now we're working out certain ground and seeds, and I'm very honored, very grateful that [Rubin] has eyes to do this with me. Nothing is predictable or anything like that. I trust my conscious mind will connect me with Rubin and the Holy Ghost and we can do the impossible."
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby nuraman00 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:06 am

tater1977 wrote:Wonder now if this had anything to do with the non-inter action at AT&T Park ?
Was it the managers or the players ?

2.JPG

Carlos Santana tells Billboard he could see a Desert Trip-like future for the reunited lineup.
10/20/2016 by Gary Graff

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... -exclusive

"It was like revisiting an old friend in a way that you can close your eyes and you don't see the years that passed by," Santana tells Billboard. "It's the same ocean. It's the same joy, the same respect. It was very natural and normal. People call it organic; I call it symbiotic to play with these musicians because we talk very little and we just point at it and hit it. It was very easy to do. It was like Billie Holiday says -- 'you open the faucet and water pours.'"

Santana IV -- Santana, singer-keyboardist Gregg Rolie, guitarist Neal Schon, drummer Michael Shrieve, percussionist Michael Carabello and with three members of Santana's other Supernatural band -- played just four shows during the spring in support of the Santana IV album. That's not a lot, of course, and there's clearly an appetite for more -- from fans, promoters, and the band itself. Santana says the key is figuring out schedules -- of his primary band, Schon with Journey, Rolie with Ringo Starr and Schrieve with his various projects -- and also getting a financial strategy in place that's acceptable to all band members.

"We're going to have a meeting next Monday and talk about how we can get to the next level," Santana says. "It's a matter of figuring out how are we going to distribute energy -- not only musically but financially -- and honor everybody." That means settling on terms and mitigating resentments before the group plots another album or more shows.

"We're not what we used to be in 1970," Santana explains. "We used to split everything evenly, like the Grateful Dead and some bands still do. That's not fair anymore because yours truly and Neal and Gregg, we've been on the road taking the name higher and more brighter. It cannot be distributed equally anymore because it would not be fair. We all have to have an understanding of how to honor and respect each other in a way that's what yours is yours and God bless it, and what's mine is mine and God bless it so we can make the music on stage and on a CD, record again. Certain things have to be crystallized for us to take it to the next level so there's no hidden shadows of discord or misperception. I love playing with musicians where there's an understanding spiritually and monetarily -- who we are, where we are and where we're going. It needs to be addressed so we can agree and we look each other in the eye and then we can play music with each other in such a way each person is compensated spiritually, monetarily, psychologically and financially."

Santana did look at this month's Desert Trip festival as a possible home for a future Santana performance, too. And he's confident the group could bring something different to that party. "I was really happy it was successful for everyone but there was only one fidelity, and that was nostalgia," he explains. "None of those bands are playing anything new. Just personally as an individual, I don't want to be stuck like a ghost in some jukebox in another era. Even though we just record this last album, Santana IV, we don't sound like we're trying to sound like something that happened already, you know? We need some forward-thinking."

Santana's Supernatural band is preparing for its next recording project, and Santana plans to work with Rick Rubin on an album tentatively called Searching For Mona Lisa. No collaborations have been set in stone yet, but Santana doesn't hide the fact that the goal is another commercial triumph.

"I dream big, y'know?" he says. "I reach out to [Rubin] because my intentionality is to get back to the top 10 or No. 1 on the radio, to get back to the Super Bowl and the World Cup. Right now we're working out certain ground and seeds, and I'm very honored, very grateful that [Rubin] has eyes to do this with me. Nothing is predictable or anything like that. I trust my conscious mind will connect me with Rubin and the Holy Ghost and we can do the impossible."

So is Santana IV the name of a collaboration between Schon and the current regular Santana band?
nuraman00
Fresh Air

Postby SF-Dano » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:24 am

I may be off here, but the one with the problem here sounds like Carlos to me. JMO. I think he wants the lion's share of the recognition and "spiritual moneys" ( :lol: ) of this project. I don't agree, but I can understand that. But to deny your fans that little something extra when you are already there anyway? What is the problem? What do you lose?
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Journey