2016 Journey Tour rap with Jonathan Cain

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

2016 Journey Tour rap with Jonathan Cain

Postby tater1977 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:20 pm

2016 Journey Tour rap with with yours truly!
Jonathan Cain
jc.JPG
jc.JPG (23.98 KiB) Viewed 1701 times

https://www.facebook.com/jonathancainmusic/?fref=nf

On future plans, his solo CD, Journey's 2017 tour.
Some cities , countries and possible dates.
Why no new Journey music is forthcoming.
General thoughts.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: 2016 Journey Tour rap with Jonathan Cain

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:13 am

Lame not to continue making new music.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:41 am

You have to wonder what some of his "battles" were this year, and whether they were band related.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby STORY_TELLER » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:47 am

perryfan61 wrote:You have to wonder what some of his "battles" were this year, and whether they were band related.

I'm unclear on the timeline, but part of it could be about Deen and the resulting bad press, finding a new drummer to fill in for their schedule commitments, etc. Maybe internal arguments with Neal about making new music, lol...

Speaking of which, I have to wonder:
He says there's no clear outlet for distributing Journey music. Just digital. Then in the next breath he talks about how he started his own record label for his christian music? Guessing there's a dedicated outlet for the christian thing because of the genre of the material alone? I'm thinking the same goes for country.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:01 am

Not being someone who buys either genre, I'm not sure,but I would guess you are right.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby STORY_TELLER » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:06 am

Perry, and people around him, including Andrew, have said he's working on an album. How is he distributing it? Couldn't they go the same route? Or is it the expectation of what kind of return they would get for the effort?

I know Perry signed with a record label a couple years back. Technology has ruined music so it's not surprising to see things change drastically in a short period of time. Have to wonder how what Jon said would affect Perry's effort (assuming he opts to release it).
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:13 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:Perry, and people around him, including Andrew, have said he's working on an album. How is he distributing it? Couldn't they go the same route? Or is it the expectation of what kind of return they would get for the effort?

I know Perry signed with a record label a couple years back. Technology has ruined music so it's not surprising to see things change drastically in a short period of time. Have to wonder how what Jon said would affect Perry's effort (assuming he opts to release it).

Former JOURNEY Singer STEVE PERRY Signs Deal With UNIVERSAL Publishing
September 8, 2012
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... ublishing/

Steve Perry, the legendary singer/songwriter, has signed an exclusive publishing administration agreement with Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG), for the world outside of the U.S. and Canada, it was announced by Zach Horowitz, Chairman & CEO of UMPG. The deal includes all songs written or co-written by Steve Perry throughout his career, including as lead singer of JOURNEY and his solo work.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:24 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:You have to wonder what some of his "battles" were this year, and whether they were band related.

I'm unclear on the timeline, but part of it could be about Deen and the resulting bad press, finding a new drummer to fill in for their schedule commitments, etc. Maybe internal arguments with Neal about making new music, lol...

Speaking of which, I have to wonder:
He says there's no clear outlet for distributing Journey music. Just digital. Then in the next breath he talks about how he started his own record label for his christian music? Guessing there's a dedicated outlet for the christian thing because of the genre of the material alone? I'm thinking the same goes for country.

Journey should record a new album on CD and give it away to everybody attending their concerts. There's your distrubution! Also, include a new version of Don't Stop Believin' and casual fans will spread the word, and soon Journey concerts will be the hottest ticket in every town!
JourneyHard
LP

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:27 am

If they get rid of CDs and any hard copy of music, it will be a sad day. Also, if they get rid of actual hard copy books, it will be a world I don't want to live in. :(
JourneyHard
LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:04 am

JourneyHard wrote:Journey should record a new album on CD and give it away to everybody attending their concerts. There's your distrubution! Also, include a new version of Don't Stop Believin' and casual fans will spread the word, and soon Journey concerts will be the hottest ticket in every town!

They did the CD hand out thing with Generations. I think they built the CD price into the ticket? Pretty sure Neal got the idea from Prince (he was doing the same thing).

Have to believe they didn't return to that model for a reason we aren't privy to. Could be it was shelved because they landed the walmart exclusive deal, which is now defunct. Possible to revive it? (the CD handout, not the walmart deal)
Last edited by STORY_TELLER on Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:09 am

JourneyHard wrote:If they get rid of CDs and any hard copy of music, it will be a sad day. Also, if they get rid of actual hard copy books, it will be a world I don't want to live in. :(

That day is coming, unfortunately. Go watch Minority Report for a glimpse into our very near future tech. Spielberg had the tech concepts sourced from things that were in the research/development stage back then. If you look at the smart phones of today, drones, cars that drive themselves -- we're almost caught up. But have no fear, the whole pre-cogs and pre-crime law enforcement thing isn't part of that -- yet. lol...
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Lora » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:02 am

JourneyHard wrote:If they get rid of CDs and any hard copy of music, it will be a sad day. Also, if they get rid of actual hard copy books, it will be a world I don't want to live in. :(

Ditto that.
Lora
8 Track

Postby ScarabFan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:26 pm

I really don't understand why they can't do what Augeri has been doing for years now. Put together a great song at Jon's studio. The band doesn't even have to be together to do that (although the finished product generally is better if they are). It's one song produced in one of the band member's studio so time and money really isn't much of a factor.

Release it to iTunes, Amazon, etc. Promote the heck out of it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Journeymusic.com, etc. Then repeat the process in 6-12 months. It keeps the fans happy, it doesn't cost them much time or money, and it may even make them a small amount of money depending on the promotion.

Generally speaking, nobody is buying CDs or even full albums anymore. It's a different world when it comes to new music. The band just seems to be stuck in the stone age when it comes to new music, still talking about CDs and radio play.
ScarabFan
Radio Waves

Postby STORY_TELLER » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:04 pm

ScarabFan wrote:I really don't understand why they can't do what Augeri has been doing for years now. Put together a great song at Jon's studio. The band doesn't even have to be together to do that (although the finished product generally is better if they are). It's one song produced in one of the band member's studio so time and money really isn't much of a factor.

Release it to iTunes, Amazon, etc. Promote the heck out of it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Journeymusic.com, etc. Then repeat the process in 6-12 months. It keeps the fans happy, it doesn't cost them much time or money, and it may even make them a small amount of money depending on the promotion.

Generally speaking, nobody is buying CDs or even full albums anymore. It's a different world when it comes to new music. The band just seems to be stuck in the stone age when it comes to new music, still talking about CDs and radio play.

My theory is it boils down to the effort vs. reward factor. Some of that is money, but some of it is kudos too. When Journey plays tunes from the post Perry era, the response is low energy or even worse -- people getting up to go to the bathroom.

Anyone who creates something wants to hear a positive response to their work. It can be represented in a large number or units sold or, taking the business equation out of it, a simple roar of approval from the crowd at a live performance of that new song. Journey hasn't really had much of either. So where is the incentive to do it?

Sure, the 20 or so people who post on this board are crying out for new music, but the math isn't in our favor, especially when that effort can be difficult. Neal and Jon seem to butt heads creatively. That makes it that much less enjoyable to do it. It sux when something that should be fun becomes a chore.

Now, having said that, there can be a simple joy in the process of creating. I think Neal lives for that and I think he's happy enough to hear that his hardcore fans dig it. I get the feeling Jon needs more to be satisfied. Jon's joy seems to come from his religious works these days more so than Journey. I think he's treating Journey more like a day job and throwing his passion into his spiritual pursuits (including his music). All conjecture on my part of course, but it's my 2 cents.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Abitaman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:13 am

I agree
Eric, the Abitaman
Abitaman
Stereo LP

Location: NO LONGER in West TN, now in East TN's beautiful Smokey Mountains

Postby ScarabFan » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:09 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
ScarabFan wrote:I really don't understand why they can't do what Augeri has been doing for years now. Put together a great song at Jon's studio. The band doesn't even have to be together to do that (although the finished product generally is better if they are). It's one song produced in one of the band member's studio so time and money really isn't much of a factor.

My theory is it boils down to the effort vs. reward factor. Some of that is money, but some of it is kudos too. When Journey plays tunes from the post Perry era, the response is low energy or even worse -- people getting up to go to the bathroom.

Anyone who creates something wants to hear a positive response to their work. It can be represented in a large number or units sold or, taking the business equation out of it, a simple roar of approval from the crowd at a live performance of that new song. Journey hasn't really had much of either. So where is the incentive to do it?

Sure, the 20 or so people who post on this board are crying out for new music, but the math isn't in our favor, especially when that effort can be difficult. Neal and Jon seem to butt heads creatively. That makes it that much less enjoyable to do it. It sux when something that should be fun becomes a chore.

Now, having said that, there can be a simple joy in the process of creating. I think Neal lives for that and I think he's happy enough to hear that his hardcore fans dig it. I get the feeling Jon needs more to be satisfied. Jon's joy seems to come from his religious works these days more so than Journey. I think he's treating Journey more like a day job and throwing his passion into his spiritual pursuits (including his music). All conjecture on my part of course, but it's my 2 cents.

Great point. The vast landscape of Journey fans overall shows they don't care for new music. Pretty sad.
ScarabFan
Radio Waves

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:30 am

Here's what Journey should do. Record a new album on CD and when people order tickets to their concerts, they mail the new CD to them. Then they can tour as "An Evening with Journey" and do the greatest hits, deep cuts, and at least four new songs off the new CD since everybody at the concert had a chance to hear the new songs! :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:14 pm

JourneyHard wrote:Here's what Journey should do. Record a new album on CD and when people order tickets to their concerts, they mail the new CD to them. Then they can tour as "An Evening with Journey" and do the greatest hits, deep cuts, and at least four new songs off the new CD since everybody at the concert had a chance to hear the new songs! :D

So basically, you want the band to incur production costs not just for the music, but for the CD's, the shipping costs, labor for managing a mailing list and handling complaints for those who haven't received their CD yet. I nominate JourneyHard for manager of the year! (just messing with you) :P :P :lol: :lol:
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:08 pm

Lora wrote:

Ditto that.

I hope I'm gone by then.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:03 am

How many Neal Schon solo CDs does he sell? Probably not many, but it is cathartic. Journey should make a new CD not for money or how many they can sell or any of that nonsense. They should do it because they are good at making new songs and it is a release for them. Journey should at least make one more CD. There should be no pressure to make it mainstream because they know going in that it won't sell a lot. This will free them to make their best effort ever.

And they can factor all the costs of making the CD and sending to people at their homes into the price of the concert tickets. This is 2016. We have Amazon. They can deliver the CD in two days! Two days, people! :D :D :D :D :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:13 am

JourneyHard wrote:How many Neal Schon solo CDs does he sell? Probably not many, but it is cathartic. Journey should make a new CD not for money or how many they can sell or any of that nonsense. They should do it because they are good at making new songs and it is a release for them. Journey should at least make one more CD. There should be no pressure to make it mainstream because they know going in that it won't sell a lot. This will free them to make their best effort ever.

It's Jonathan Cain that really needs to wake up to that. He seems to have lost his love for Journey, and is all about money now. At least as far as Journey are concerned. :(

But you are right about what you said in your post.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby ebake02 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:40 pm

With Steve Smith back in the band, a new album seems like a no brainer to me. It would sell well if they did a good old school journey album and promoted the hell out of it as Arnel with the classic Escape lineup and release it everywhere. Don't do that Walmart exclusive bullshit.
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby FamilyMan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:56 am

ebake02 wrote:With Steve Smith back in the band, a new album seems like a no brainer to me. It would sell well if they did a good old school journey album and promoted the hell out of it as Arnel with the classic Escape lineup and release it everywhere. Don't do that Walmart exclusive bullshit.

Smitty is the best - I love him and his return to the band. But in no way, shape or form would his involvement have any bearing on record sales.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:11 am

FamilyMan wrote:
ebake02 wrote:With Steve Smith back in the band, a new album seems like a no brainer to me. It would sell well if they did a good old school journey album and promoted the hell out of it as Arnel with the classic Escape lineup and release it everywhere. Don't do that Walmart exclusive bullshit.

Smitty is the best - I love him and his return to the band. But in no way, shape or form would his involvement have any bearing on record sales.

Smith's already jumped back into his jazz playing full swing. His Facebook page has a new video of him playing with Steps Ahead/WDR Big Band. Glad that he played with Journey again, but I'm also happy to see him back in his element without missing a beat (no pun intended).
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:02 am

It is not healthy for the band to walk around with a Journey album stuck inside them. They need to make a new Journey CD for their own well-being.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:02 am

JourneyHard wrote:It is not healthy for the band to walk around with a Journey album stuck inside them. They need to make a new Journey CD for their own well-being.

I think there's only one member who doesn't necessarily have a new Journey album in him. I think he has to work to find it now because his passions are occupied elsewhere. I also think he doesn't see the point in doing it because there's no kudos or financial rewards to be had from the masses. The 20 of us on this board don't really count in that equation. :? :? :?
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:16 pm

Maybe it is time for Jonathan Cain to step aside, and Journey to make a new album with Gregg Rolie and Steve Smith. Gregg Rolie was able to breathe new life into Santana along with Neal on the new Santana CD. Perhaps Gregg can provide a little magic for a new Journey album. :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:58 pm

JourneyHard wrote:Maybe it is time for Jonathan Cain to step aside, and Journey to make a new album with Gregg Rolie and Steve Smith. Gregg Rolie was able to breathe new life into Santana along with Neal on the new Santana CD. Perhaps Gregg can provide a little magic for a new Journey album. :D

I would love to have new music that included Gregg and Steve Smith. The question is, would Gregg be the right person to carry the torch moving forward with Journey? Gregg's Journey and Jonathan's Journey were two different bands. Gregg is a soulful, bluesy Hammond B3 player, while Jonathan has more of a pop/synth sound with a little sprinkle of classical thrown in. Could Gregg cover that material? I'm sure. But would he want to? He had absolutely nothing to do with the Escape/Frontiers sound, and that is a huge part of the live equation.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby marco17 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:34 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:It is not healthy for the band to walk around with a Journey album stuck inside them. They need to make a new Journey CD for their own well-being.

I think there's only one member who doesn't necessarily have a new Journey album in him. I think he has to work to find it now because his passions are occupied elsewhere. I also think he doesn't see the point in doing it because there's no kudos or financial rewards to be had from the masses. The 20 of us on this board don't really count in that equation. :? :? :?

Besides the financial gain, I think it may be an ego thing too. Cain (maybe others too) remember selling millions of albums. Now they can hardly give them away because 95% of the fan base wants the DD and don't care about new music. So there's no motivation, and it hurts their ego to put time, effort, etc, into something and see 50k units sold.
marco17
8 Track

Postby scarab » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:42 am

Would love to see Rolie back, as he had some part in writing great songs for the Storm that were very melodic.
Heck, get Jack Blades and Kevin Chalfant to help write songs.

But my guess is that Rolie wants no part of a tour with Journey.
Couldn't even play with Journey when the toured together.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Journey