2016 Journey Tour rap with Jonathan Cain

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: 2016 Journey Tour rap with Jonathan Cain

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:54 am

marco17 wrote:
STORY_TELLER wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:It is not healthy for the band to walk around with a Journey album stuck inside them. They need to make a new Journey CD for their own well-being.

I think there's only one member who doesn't necessarily have a new Journey album in him. I think he has to work to find it now because his passions are occupied elsewhere. I also think he doesn't see the point in doing it because there's no kudos or financial rewards to be had from the masses. The 20 of us on this board don't really count in that equation. :? :? :?

Besides the financial gain, I think it may be an ego thing too. Cain (maybe others too) remember selling millions of albums. Now they can hardly give them away because 95% of the fan base wants the DD and don't care about new music. So there's no motivation, and it hurts their ego to put time, effort, etc, into something and see 50k units sold.

Ego is the wrong word. Interest (as in interested) would be more accurate. I used the word kudos to reflect interest, and that interest has a direct impact on incentive. It takes A LOT of time and effort to make good music. No one who creates anything for public consumption wants to feel like they're wasting their time. If the public doesn't show interest, where is the incentive to do the work?
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:05 am

scarab wrote:Would love to see Rolie back, as he had some part in writing great songs for the Storm that were very melodic.
Heck, get Jack Blades and Kevin Chalfant to help write songs.

But my guess is that Rolie wants no part of a tour with Journey.
Couldn't even play with Journey when the toured together.

You are assuming Rolie couldn't play with Journey because of his side of things. It's more likely that JC put the breaks on his involvement.

If JC left Journey I could see Rolie stepping in to fill Cain's shoes. Anyone who knows how to play piano, especially as well as Rolie, would have no problem covering the Cain era tunes on keyboard.

For me the better question would be: What would Arnel do with tunes originated with Rolie in the mix? No doubt they would return to more of a blues vibe. I know Smitty preferred that groove when he was in the band (he said so in an interview). I'm sure Ross would dig it and we know Neal is all about it. Arnel is the big question mark for me because he does not have an R&B foundation like Perry. Could he pull off the right vibe? Things that make you go hmmm.....
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Pacfanweb » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:32 am

tater1977 wrote:
STORY_TELLER wrote:Perry, and people around him, including Andrew, have said he's working on an album. How is he distributing it? Couldn't they go the same route? Or is it the expectation of what kind of return they would get for the effort?

I know Perry signed with a record label a couple years back. Technology has ruined music so it's not surprising to see things change drastically in a short period of time. Have to wonder how what Jon said would affect Perry's effort (assuming he opts to release it).

Former JOURNEY Singer STEVE PERRY Signs Deal With UNIVERSAL Publishing
September 8, 2012
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... ublishing/

Steve Perry, the legendary singer/songwriter, has signed an exclusive publishing administration agreement with Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG), for the world outside of the U.S. and Canada, it was announced by Zach Horowitz, Chairman & CEO of UMPG. The deal includes all songs written or co-written by Steve Perry throughout his career, including as lead singer of JOURNEY and his solo work.

That's just a deal for them to handle his old stuff. Unfortunately, there's nothing there that suggests new material.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby Pacfanweb » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:35 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:You have to wonder what some of his "battles" were this year, and whether they were band related.

I'm unclear on the timeline, but part of it could be about Deen and the resulting bad press, finding a new drummer to fill in for their schedule commitments, etc. Maybe internal arguments with Neal about making new music, lol...

Speaking of which, I have to wonder:
He says there's no clear outlet for distributing Journey music. Just digital. Then in the next breath he talks about how he started his own record label for his christian music? Guessing there's a dedicated outlet for the christian thing because of the genre of the material alone? I'm thinking the same goes for country.

There's no market in the pop scene for an old band like Journey. The industry only wants to push younger artists. Doesn't matter how good the material/artist is, if they're old, they get no support.

It's a shame, because there are a lot of older acts that are still making music that stands right up to the stuff they did when they were young and hot.....but only die-hards ever hear it.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby STORY_TELLER » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:45 am

Pacfanweb wrote:
STORY_TELLER wrote:
perryfan61 wrote:You have to wonder what some of his "battles" were this year, and whether they were band related.

I'm unclear on the timeline, but part of it could be about Deen and the resulting bad press, finding a new drummer to fill in for their schedule commitments, etc. Maybe internal arguments with Neal about making new music, lol...

Speaking of which, I have to wonder:
He says there's no clear outlet for distributing Journey music. Just digital. Then in the next breath he talks about how he started his own record label for his christian music? Guessing there's a dedicated outlet for the christian thing because of the genre of the material alone? I'm thinking the same goes for country.

There's no market in the pop scene for an old band like Journey. The industry only wants to push younger artists. Doesn't matter how good the material/artist is, if they're old, they get no support.

It's a shame, because there are a lot of older acts that are still making music that stands right up to the stuff they did when they were young and hot.....but only die-hards ever hear it.

Spot on. And yes, certainly a shame.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:53 am

Pacfanweb wrote:
tater1977 wrote:
STORY_TELLER wrote:Perry, and people around him, including Andrew, have said he's working on an album. How is he distributing it? Couldn't they go the same route? Or is it the expectation of what kind of return they would get for the effort?

I know Perry signed with a record label a couple years back. Technology has ruined music so it's not surprising to see things change drastically in a short period of time. Have to wonder how what Jon said would affect Perry's effort (assuming he opts to release it).

Former JOURNEY Singer STEVE PERRY Signs Deal With UNIVERSAL Publishing
September 8, 2012
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... ublishing/

Steve Perry, the legendary singer/songwriter, has signed an exclusive publishing administration agreement with Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG), for the world outside of the U.S. and Canada, it was announced by Zach Horowitz, Chairman & CEO of UMPG. The deal includes all songs written or co-written by Steve Perry throughout his career, including as lead singer of JOURNEY and his solo work.

That's just a deal for them to handle his old stuff. Unfortunately, there's nothing there that suggests new material.

Well, it could be interpreted either way. It specified "throughout his career". That kind of language is broad enough to cover the past, present and future.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:42 pm

Today's music scene just cannot put up with any good music. Musicians with real talent need not apply. :?
JourneyHard
LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:58 am

JourneyHard wrote:Today's music scene just cannot put up with any good music. Musicians with real talent need not apply. :?

I think we're all suffering what other generations have endured before us. Our musical tastes are a reflection of the current musical trends of our youth. Most of us weren't into Elvis Presley and I'm sure there are plenty of Elvis fans out there who were lamenting "good music" when Journey was the annual flavor.

Having said that -- yeah, today's music SUCKS. :lol: :lol: :lol:
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:46 am

I watched a 5 or 6 part special this summer, music from the 70's til now. While it was an interesting concept, mixing in old and new artists and music ( no Journey, unfortunately), I found myself tuning out when the new "music" came on. I just can't relate to it at all.

I grew up with my parents playing folk and country, along with a lot of classical music, and while I'm not really a fan of those genres, I can see the appeal. I see no appeal whatsoever in today's music. I think it's because there is no real musicianship involved in the making of it. I can't imagine anyone looking back 40 years from now and wishing this era would come back :cry:
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:40 am

perryfan61 wrote:I watched a 5 or 6 part special this summer, music from the 70's til now. While it was an interesting concept, mixing in old and new artists and music ( no Journey, unfortunately), I found myself tuning out when the new "music" came on. I just can't relate to it at all.

I grew up with my parents playing folk and country, along with a lot of classical music, and while I'm not really a fan of those genres, I can see the appeal. I see no appeal whatsoever in today's music. I think it's because there is no real musicianship involved in the making of it. I can't imagine anyone looking back 40 years from now and wishing this era would come back :cry:

Couldn't agree with you more. Today's music is less about melody and more about the beats. The guitar used to be the lead instrument of choice. The dance era brought the bass front and center. These days I hear the drums as the lead more than anything else. Then there's the computer generated post production efx, the auto-tuning, the coldness of the digital recording -- BLECH! Everything feels over produced. :( :( :(
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Previous

Return to Journey