Rock n Roll HoF 2017 Nominees - Congrats JOURNEY

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Rock n Roll HoF 2017 Nominees - Congrats JOURNEY

Postby tater1977 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Gregg Rolie Says Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nomination Is for Journey's Fans

10/21/2016 by Gary Graff
http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... nomination

Journey co-founder Gregg Rolie had resigned himself a bit to the thought that the band would never be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. So his reaction to the group's first-ever nomination this week is understandably cautious.

"It's taken a long trip to get here," Rolie -- who was inducted into the Rock Hall with Santana in 1998, and was with Journey from 1973-1980 -- tells Billboard. "I have to admit the only thing I thought is it might not ever happen, because of whatever politics were involved. I just didn't know. But here we are now, so...we'll see."

Journey has, in fact, long been a poster child for bands snubbed over the years by the Rock Hall -- particularly late-'70s mainstream rock favorites such as Foreigner, Boston, Styx, etc. Rolie credits the tenacity of Journey's fans with finally getting the group placed on the nominating ballot for the class of 2017.

"The way I look at this is it's all those Journey fans that have petitioned for this for years -- and they have," Rolie notes. "They've written in many, many times, and their support made this happen. It's funny the way they go about doing this, but this time evidently there's a fan base of voters that are beyond the current inductees and the people that run us that support (Journey). So it's for them as well."

Rolie recently wrapped up a North American tour with Ringo Starr's All-Starr Band, and is now off to Japan with the group. In addition to the All-Starrs, Rolie is also playing with Journey guitarist Neal Schon in Santana IV, a reunion of the 1970-71 lineup of that band that jettisoned the two musicians to go and form Journey. Santana IV has just released the new Live at the House of Blues, Las Vegas on CD and home video, and after playing just four dates this year, is looking to do more during 2017.

"Y'know, Journey's still out there doing this, big time," Rolie says. "It never quit. That was part of the dilemma of why it doesn't seem right (that the band's not in the Rock Hall). It's really current, on top of making the music that we did back then."

"There's a lot of people I believe ought to be in there," Rolie continues. (All-Starr bandmate) Todd Rundgren, for sure. There's a whole list of bands that have been overlooked, Bad Company, there's a whole list. And we were one of them, so now we're in this other situation."

Rolie hasn't had a chance to speak with any of his former bandmates about the nomination. But if he's elected, he will definitely serve. "I know I'd do it," Rolie says. "I'll have to talk to everybody, I guess. As far as Steve Perry goes, I have no clue."
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby steveo777 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:22 pm

tater1977 wrote:Gregg Rolie Says Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nomination Is for Journey's Fans

10/21/2016 by Gary Graff
http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... nomination

Journey co-founder Gregg Rolie had resigned himself a bit to the thought that the band would never be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. So his reaction to the group's first-ever nomination this week is understandably cautious.

"It's taken a long trip to get here," Rolie -- who was inducted into the Rock Hall with Santana in 1998, and was with Journey from 1973-1980 -- tells Billboard. "I have to admit the only thing I thought is it might not ever happen, because of whatever politics were involved. I just didn't know. But here we are now, so...we'll see."

Journey has, in fact, long been a poster child for bands snubbed over the years by the Rock Hall -- particularly late-'70s mainstream rock favorites such as Foreigner, Boston, Styx, etc. Rolie credits the tenacity of Journey's fans with finally getting the group placed on the nominating ballot for the class of 2017.

"The way I look at this is it's all those Journey fans that have petitioned for this for years -- and they have," Rolie notes. "They've written in many, many times, and their support made this happen. It's funny the way they go about doing this, but this time evidently there's a fan base of voters that are beyond the current inductees and the people that run us that support (Journey). So it's for them as well."

Rolie recently wrapped up a North American tour with Ringo Starr's All-Starr Band, and is now off to Japan with the group. In addition to the All-Starrs, Rolie is also playing with Journey guitarist Neal Schon in Santana IV, a reunion of the 1970-71 lineup of that band that jettisoned the two musicians to go and form Journey. Santana IV has just released the new Live at the House of Blues, Las Vegas on CD and home video, and after playing just four dates this year, is looking to do more during 2017.

"Y'know, Journey's still out there doing this, big time," Rolie says. "It never quit. That was part of the dilemma of why it doesn't seem right (that the band's not in the Rock Hall). It's really current, on top of making the music that we did back then."

"There's a lot of people I believe ought to be in there," Rolie continues. (All-Starr bandmate) Todd Rundgren, for sure. There's a whole list of bands that have been overlooked, Bad Company, there's a whole list. And we were one of them, so now we're in this other situation."

Rolie hasn't had a chance to speak with any of his former bandmates about the nomination. But if he's elected, he will definitely serve. "I know I'd do it," Rolie says. "I'll have to talk to everybody, I guess. As far as Steve Perry goes, I have no clue."

Like the rest of us, Gregg, like the rest of us! Only Steve knows what Steve's doing. :D
steveo777
MP3

Postby MotherCitay » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:59 am

Has Steve been seen at any Giants games this year?

Maybe he's just too busy working on the new solo album ...

Or maybe ..... he's madly in love 8)
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:03 am

MotherCitay wrote:Has Steve been seen at any Giants games this year?

Maybe he's just too busy working on the new solo album ...

Or maybe ..... he's madly in love 8)

I've seen pictures of him posing with fans at the games this year. He looks good, still hoping he's working on his music.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:46 am

Okay. They have to do Don't Stop Believin' no matter if Steve Perry can still sing it or not. Then their second song could be Any Way You Want It. If Sheldon and Leonard's mother can sing it, anybody can sing Any Way You Want It! :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby tater1977 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:40 am

Journey grabs early lead in Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Fan Vote

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/ ... in_ro.html

By Troy L. Smith, October 26, 2016

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame seems to have fixed the problem that led to bloated numbers in last year's Fan Vote.

This year's numbers have fallen back to earth. In a little over a week, the annual poll is closing in on half a million votes. Last year, thanks to what was clearly computer hacking, the poll ended with more than 150 million in total with Chicago coming out on top.

This year's Fan vote isn't live, meaning the Rock Hall is updating it periodically as it sorts through invalid votes. Fans have to long in via Facebook and prove they're not a robot in order to vote once a day.

If the pattern of early voting holds (which it typically does), Journey will win the Fan Vote. But it's close.

Electric Light Orchestra, The Cars, Pearl Jam and Yes are all nipping at Journey's heels. Those five acts are the clear frontrunners to earn they're way onto a this year's fan ballot (to be included with the other ballots given to living members of the Rock Hall and music historians).

It's worth pointing out the previous four years, the Fan Vote have led to the top vote-getter making it into the Hall of Fame. So don't stop believin'.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby MotherCitay » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:24 pm

Journey can do what Prince did - quite a selection.

So Steve, dig out that tailcoat, borrow Prince's heels and get down on it :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TSVNBpsrys

@00:03 a love bizarre
@00:12 glamorous life
@00:19 can't remember
@00:36 let's go crazy w/ ULTRA REARRANGED CODA AS ALWAYS
@3:43 sign o the times
@7:31 the ? of u
@7:47 kiss CRAZY SOUL VERSION
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby yulog » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:49 pm

yulog
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:53 am

r.JPG
r.JPG (30.58 KiB) Viewed 887 times
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:56 am

1.JPG
1.JPG (54.52 KiB) Viewed 887 times
Attachments
2.JPG
2.JPG (17.46 KiB) Viewed 887 times
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby George_g888 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:14 am

tater1977 wrote:
1.JPG

Yea nothing really new, Neal over this past year has been making a lot of comments on social media, especially instagram like this example above, making sure fans don't forget about gregg rolie, and that he was the original keyboard player. He once said on Instagram Journey was at the height of their popularity BEFORE Jonathan arrived! :roll:
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby annie89509 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:36 am

Neal has made nice with SP this past year, speaking about him with due respect and affection, more often than not referring to him by his 1st name "Steve" (as opposed to just "Perry" as he often did in the past). I think he finally gets it.

Who knows their true feelings about each other -- any of them -- but it's much nicer p.r. to speak with reverence than bitterness ... for the fans and, especially, their HOF campaign. After all, it is not really a surprise that they got their nomination this year. There were a lot of speculation, after these AOR artists got inducted in the last 2-3 years, that Journey was going to be next. As JC said, "they used to open for us."
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:41 pm

George_g888 wrote:
tater1977 wrote:
1.JPG

Yea nothing really new, Neal over this past year has been making a lot of comments on social media, especially instagram like this example above, making sure fans don't forget about gregg rolie, and that he was the original keyboard player. He once said on Instagram Journey was at the height of their popularity BEFORE Jonathan arrived! :roll:

I think Neal didn't express himself properly, but I think I get what he means.

Basically, he's saying Journey was already popular when JC joined the band. They had reached the top of a very huge mountain at that point and were on the verge of catapulting over it (think Bon Jovi between 7800 Fahrenheit and Slippery When Wet). The songs Cain brought into the band, and the writing chemistry between the 3 of them, did more than catapult them over the mountain. It launched them into orbit.

I think what Neal is getting at is all the hard work was already done by Neal, Perry, Greg, Ross and Smitty. When JC joined them, they were already headlining venues and had an audience dying to hear their next album. That's a far cry from starting out touring the Infinity album.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:12 am

Getting off the subject for a minute.....anyone else wondering where TNC has been lately?
I was sure this topic would get some kind of response from him.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:42 am

What a difference 5 months make -

Neal Schon Not So Sure He Wants In The Rock Hall

May 11, 2016

http://wcsx.com/2016/05/11/neal-schon-n ... rock-hall/  

This year's induction of 70s stalwarts such as Cheap Trick, Chicago, Steve Miller and Deep Purple has boosted Journey fans' hopes that there may be a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame future for the group.

Now, however, Journey -- or at least guitarist Neal Schon -- isn't sure he wants it.

Schon tells us that after hearing all of Miller's complaints about the induction he's having second thoughts about whether he wants Journey to become part of the club: "I don't really care right now one way or the other. After reading and talking to Steve Miller (about) what went on with him and how it was not a good experience, at this point there's so many people in there that have gotten in that are not even rock 'n' roll. I'm, at this point, who cares? I don't really care about being in there at all. It's not gonna make or break my life or who I've become as a guitarist and a person."

Nevertheless, Schon adds that there is some inkling that the Rock Hall may beckon Journey sooner rather than later: "I think there has always been an opening...Basically I think Steve (Perry) has not wanted to do it, Perry, because I think he probably wants to wait until he releases his solo record, which is supposed to come out this year and is probably why I'm hearing that we're supposed to get in this year."

Meanwhile, Journey is getting ready to return to the road Thursday (May 12) for its summer tour with the Doobie Brothers and Dave Mason.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:01 am

tater1977 wrote:What a difference 5 months make -

May 11, 2016

This year's induction of 70s stalwarts such as Cheap Trick, Chicago, Steve Miller and Deep Purple has boosted Journey fans' hopes that there may be a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame future for the group.

Now, however, Journey -- or at least guitarist Neal Schon -- isn't sure he wants it.

Schon tells us that after hearing all of Miller's complaints about the induction he's having second thoughts about whether he wants Journey to become part of the club: "I don't really care right now one way or the other. After reading and talking to Steve Miller (about) what went on with him and how it was not a good experience, at this point there's so many people in there that have gotten in that are not even rock 'n' roll. I'm, at this point, who cares? I don't really care about being in there at all. It's not gonna make or break my life or who I've become as a guitarist and a person."

Nevertheless, Schon adds that there is some inkling that the Rock Hall may beckon Journey sooner rather than later: "I think there has always been an opening...Basically I think Steve (Perry) has not wanted to do it, Perry, because I think he probably wants to wait until he releases his solo record, which is supposed to come out this year and is probably why I'm hearing that we're supposed to get in this year."

Meanwhile, Journey is getting ready to return to the road Thursday (May 12) for its summer tour with the Doobie Brothers and Dave Mason.

You had my eyebrows raised really high for a minute. Then I saw the final sentence about LAST summer's tour and realized how old this article is, lol...

With Perry not being done with his album yet, I wonder what impact that's having on all of this?
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:29 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
tater1977 wrote:What a difference 5 months make -

May 11, 2016

You had my eyebrows raised really high for a minute. Then I saw the final sentence about LAST summer's tour and realized how old this article is, lol... :lol:

With Perry not being done with his album yet, I wonder what impact that's having on all of this?
tater1977
Stereo LP

Previous

Return to Journey