Rock n Roll HoF 2017 Nominees - Congrats JOURNEY

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Rock n Roll HoF 2017 Nominees - Congrats JOURNEY

Postby tater1977 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:34 pm

- Off subject slightly

Jason Whitehorn

Worship Corder Podcast: Jonathan Cain talks new album .

https://soundcloud.com/jason-whitehorn/ ... -new-album

Journey's Jonathan Cain talks about last studio session w/ Steve Perry during "Trial By Fire" PLUS new solo album!

- at around 10.45 - 13.40

very short backstory on writing Trial by Fire trax with SP
and mention of Bill Graham
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:56 pm

Members of Journey, ELO, The Zombies and Yes React to Bands’ Rock Hall Nominations

BY ABC News Radio | October 18, 2016

http://kwbe.com/abc_classicr/members-of ... d35793810/

The 2017 nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were announced Tuesday, and among the 19 artists in the running for induction next year are Journey, Electric Light Orchestra, The Zombies and Yes. Now, key current or former members from each of these bands have issued statements reacting to the good news.

Ex-Journey frontman Steve Perry shared a message with the authorized fan site Fan Asylum that reads, “I’m so grateful that the music we created while together has survived the test of time.”

ELO frontman Jeff Lynne posted a note on his official Facebook page, saying, “I’m very proud to see my ELO music getting this great recognition. It’s a big honor to be nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.”

Zombies keyboardist Rod Argent took to his band’s Facebook page to express his excitement about the group’s second straight nomination.

“This has come at a really exciting time for us, as the band has never felt so [energized],” writes Argent, “and the acceptance of what we are creating now, as well as the older classic material we love to play, is heartwarming.” The Zombies released a new studio album last year called Still Got That Hunger, and just announced plans to launch a 2017 tour celebrating the 50th anniversary of its classic record Odessey and Oracle.

In addition, longtime Yes drummer Alan White issued a statement that reads, “It is a distinguished honor to again receive a nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame…Yes has a history of being pioneers in exploring new musical territory, 48 years later the band is still continuing this quest, who knew?”

You can check out the full list of nominees, and cast votes for your favorites at RockHall.com.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby MotherCitay » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:57 pm

Memorex wrote:[If you are going that route, then maybe Charlize Theron (because of Monster) or David Chase (because of Sopranos). I'd rather see it be someone in music to be honest.

For Monster I would prefer Patty Jenkins, the friend who introduced Steve to Kelly.

http://www.dga.org/Events/2014/Nov2014/ ... rsary.aspx
Scroll down to the Pictures & Video section, Steve speaks in video number 3.

Then again it is claimed that Jon Bon Jovi gave Steve Perry the name "The Voice"!
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:19 am

MotherCitay wrote:
Memorex wrote:[If you are going that route, then maybe Charlize Theron (because of Monster) or David Chase (because of Sopranos). I'd rather see it be someone in music to be honest.

For Monster I would prefer Patty Jenkins, the friend who introduced Steve to Kelly.

http://www.dga.org/Events/2014/Nov2014/ ... rsary.aspx
Scroll down to the Pictures & Video section, Steve speaks in video number 3.

Then again it is claimed that Jon Bon Jovi gave Steve Perry the name "The Voice"!

The only porblem with Patty Jenkins, Charlize Theron or Jon Bon Jovi is that their connection is through Perry. Since so many people consider it Neal's band now, I doubt that would fly. What about Carlos Santana? If it weren't for Santana, there would be no Journey.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby AJ » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:20 am

Let Herbie induct them! He's a huge reason for their success!!
AJ
Ol' 78

Postby scarab » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:19 am

wow, heard on 3 stations about the nod to Journey and each mentioning a (possible) Steve Perry reunion.
It is truly amazing that people still talk about Steve after being out of the limelight for years.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby MotherCitay » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:28 am

AJ wrote:Let Herbie induct them! He's a huge reason for their success!!

Bingo ...... with Carlos Santana performing.
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby Pacfanweb » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:45 am

George_g888 wrote:If Journey gets in, I will be shocked if any band members other than Perry,Schon,Cain,Smith,Valory,Rolie and maybe even aynsley dunbar get inducted with them. As much as we love Arnel, he is just not going to get inducted-whether you think he should or not, he' probably won't be included

Members: Jonathan Cain, Aynsley Dunbar, Steve Perry, Gregg Rolie, Neal Schon, Steve Smith, Ross Valory

That's who is considered "Journey" to the HOF.

There will be no Arnel or Augeri. Neither created any classic Journey. It's rare that newer replacement members are inducted, when an act is in its "touring the classics" days.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby scarab » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:58 am

Pineda or Augeri may not be nominated, but if Perry does not perform I am sure one or both will.
Hell, even I would loved to see JSS signature take on I'll be alright without you/cupid. (but I can dream)
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby George_g888 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:18 am

scarab wrote:Pineda or Augeri may not be nominated, but if Perry does not perform I am sure one or both will.
Hell, even I would loved to see JSS signature take on I'll be alright without you/cupid. (but I can dream)

Love JSS and Augeri, but no way they perform onstage with them. I would imagine the only people playing that night are schon,cain,smith,valory,rolie,dunbar and perry. And if perry doesn't want to, then obviously Arnel will sing.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby tater1977 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:02 pm

If they do get in and perform , what 2 songs will they do :?:
Any guesses :?:
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby George_g888 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:20 pm

tater1977 wrote:If they do get in and perform , what 2 songs will they do :?:

If they get in, I think they'll do 3 songs. That's how many songs the artist did last year. If that's the cast, I think they'll do Don't Stop Believen, Open Arms or Faithfully and Wheel In The Sky.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby tater1977 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:34 pm

I was thinking OA and Lights.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:39 pm

tater1977 wrote:- Off subject slightly

Jason Whitehorn

Worship Corder Podcast: Jonathan Cain talks new album .

https://soundcloud.com/jason-whitehorn/ ... -new-album

Journey's Jonathan Cain talks about last studio session w/ Steve Perry during "Trial By Fire" PLUS new solo album!

- at around 10.45 - 13.40

very short backstory on writing Trial by Fire trax with SP
and mention of Bill Graham

Was that a slip on Jon's part, saying that SP had just gotten out of AA? I guess I didn't realise he had that big of a problem back then.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby MotherCitay » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:19 pm

tater1977 wrote:If they do get in and perform , what 2 songs will they do :?:

Wow .... who gets to decide song choice? The inductees or the producer of the HOF show with ratings in mind?

Do they include a song from the Rolie days or not?

I'm also guessing a huge part in the decision would be what Steve can manage vocally today but I would like to hear:

Separate Ways - for the irony of Steve not reuniting for years

When You Love A Woman - for not performing it at the Grammy's when nominated

DSB - for the loyal fans who have waited years & years for Steve to perform with Journey again. They never stopped believing and amongst them there will not be a dry eye .....

I can only dream :D :D
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:56 pm

tater1977 wrote:I was thinking OA and Lights.

I would say Lights with Rolie and Dunbar, Separate Ways with Cain and Smith, and then the show closes with all inductees singing Don't Stop Believin'. This way the obvious song (DSB) gets played without the pressure of Perry hitting the high notes.
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:09 am

I think it's unrealistic to expect Perry to perform vocally intense songs like Separate Ways or DSB.

My guess is he'll choose songs that fit his current comfort levels, and he'll adjust them to work within his current capabilities.

We'll probably get a choice of two from the Eels set.

My money would be on Lovin Touchin with Rollie -- because that's always been a crowd pleaser -- and open arms with Cain, because he can adjust it to fit his current vocals while still giving us the emotional delivery via that oh so unique Perry tone.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:11 am

Art Vandelay wrote:...and then the show closes with all inductees singing Don't Stop Believin'. This way the obvious song (DSB) gets played without the pressure of Perry hitting the high notes.

I would agree with you, except traditionally, the closing number is never a song originated by any of the inductees. It's always a cover of a well known song by another band.

An example would be: Rush's cover of Cream's "Crossroads" with the rest of the inductees.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:06 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:...and then the show closes with all inductees singing Don't Stop Believin'. This way the obvious song (DSB) gets played without the pressure of Perry hitting the high notes.

I would agree with you, except traditionally, the closing number is never a song originated by any of the inductees. It's always a cover of a well known song by another band.

An example would be: Rush's cover of Cream's "Crossroads" with the rest of the inductees.

You know, I was never really aware that the finale song was not one of the inductee's songs...so good point! Being that the song has become such an anthem, and it has been covered so many times over, I thought it was an obvious choice to end the night. And Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' would be a fun one to get everyone up and moving.
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby George_g888 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:43 am

These are my thoughts on what will happen:
Journey will do 3 songs. Every artist that has been inducted and performed in recent years has done 3 songs. Journey should be no different.

In no particular order, they will do DSB, Open Arms and Wheel in the Sky or Lights
DSB: No way they don’t do it. Their most iconic song.
Open Arms: Steve loves this song. Journey’s biggest ballad.
Wheel in the sky or lights: They’ve got to do something from Infinity for Rolie and Dunbar. I’d rather them do Wheel in The Sky , but lights is the safer bet.

Like someone said on here, Perry’s voice should be in better shape now than what it was with the eels, since he has been working on his album. With that being said, they will still probably lower the key of the songs half a step down from how they currently play them with Arnel. Which is already half a step down from the original recordings.

Everybody who is inducted from Journey will be onstage for all three songs. Jon will set up by Ross, like he always does. Gregg will set up on Neal’s side.

The drumming situation is where it gets tricky. Will Steve Smith be ok with Dunbar using his drum setup for a song from Infinity? Do they have 2 drums sets onstage? Either way, I think they will both be onstage for the 3 songs. Similar to what happened with Steven Adler & Matt Sorum with GNR in 2012.

I think this is how it will all play out
Lets just hope they get inducted!!
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:03 am

In the December issue of MAD Magazine, they had a little funny bit on Obama's last 100 days. For One of the days it said, "Nominates Journey to Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame, but the motion is blocked by Congress."

This was funny because I believe the issue was published before the announcement was made that Journey was nominated.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:08 am

As for songs Journey should perform if they are enshrined in the Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame, they must perform Feeling That Way, Anytime, and Don't Stop Believin'. Just my humble opinion.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby DK23 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:30 pm

Because of its place in Journey's history, and because both Neal and Steve mention it often, I feel they have to start their 3 song set with the first round of Patiently lyrics:

Here I stand so patiently
For your lights to shine on me
For your song inside of me
This we bring to you

Then they start with the three songs I feel they have to do:
Lights (most well-known song from the Dunbar and Rolie era, plus Perry performed it with the Eels so he is at least comfortable with that song and has recent live experience with it)
Open Arms (although I think faithfully is their most well-known ballad, Perry is, again, seemingly comfortable playing it and it was their highest chart hit)
Don't Stop Believin' (because obviously (pop references and mp3 sales))
DK23
Ol' 78

Postby tater1977 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:59 pm

Awesome, Awkward or Angry? Rating 5 Potential 2017 Rock Hall Reunions

By Jeff Giles

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/potentia ... mobile_top

No matter how you feel about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, there’s no denying the excitement of witnessing former bandmates back onstage at the ceremony. Whether these partnerships were ended amicably or acrimoniously, there’s nothing like watching a reunion — and these are the five we think might have the most viewing potential at this year’s show.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:19 pm

DK23 wrote:Because of its place in Journey's history, and because both Neal and Steve mention it often, I feel they have to start their 3 song set with the first round of Patiently lyrics:

Here I stand so patiently
For your lights to shine on me
For your song inside of me
This we bring to you

Then they start with the three songs I feel they have to do:
Lights (most well-known song from the Dunbar and Rolie era, plus Perry performed it with the Eels so he is at least comfortable with that song and has recent live experience with it)
Open Arms (although I think faithfully is their most well-known ballad, Perry is, again, seemingly comfortable playing it and it was their highest chart hit)
Don't Stop Believin' (because obviously (pop references and mp3 sales))

Actually, IMO Wheel In The Sky is the most famous of the Infinity songs, not by much over Lights, but at least a little IMO. Also, WITS did chart slightly better than Lights at the time. Also, if we're talking about just Rolie without Dunbar in the band, then Any Way You Want It was the biggest hit of that Journey era.

I would also say that Open Arms is slightly more famous than Faithfully. Again, it charted somewhat better than Faithfully did back in the 80's.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:32 am

Maybe Journey will throw us a curve and perform Don't Stop Believin', Stone In Love, and Who's Cryin' Now. :D

If this is Neal's band, he will demand at least one of the three songs is a Rock Song. So maybe Wheel In The Sky will be one of them after all.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:23 am

JourneyHard wrote:Maybe Journey will throw us a curve and perform Don't Stop Believin', Stone In Love, and Who's Cryin' Now. :D

If this is Neal's band, he will demand at least one of the three songs is a Rock Song. So maybe Wheel In The Sky will be one of them after all.

You guys need to consider what those songs (including WITS) will sound like in the key Perry can comfortably sing them today. I'm sure Perry and Neal are both thinking about that, and that's why I believe they won't perform those songs.

Best chance of hearing them would be as a mashup. Pieces of all the songs discussed incorporated into one performance. Perry and the band could design something that utilizes his current vocals for greatest effect.

It could be a good way to display more than just two songs out of their VAST catalog and really highlight just how freakin' talented these guys are. It certainly would be unexpected and it certainly would be memorable.

SIDE NOTE:
Just to be clear, I'm not saying any of this as a criticism of Mr. P or his vocals. I fucking LOVED what he did with the Eels and I think he's still got oodles of "it" factor in his voice. I'm simply being practical minded in all of this. It's not the 80's. Perry isn't a young guy anymore. He has health problems. Father time takes a toll on all of us. This is not something to condemn or criticize, it's something to lament and mourn. We ALL lost something special when Perry decided to leave music.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby George_g888 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:43 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:Maybe Journey will throw us a curve and perform Don't Stop Believin', Stone In Love, and Who's Cryin' Now. :D

You guys need to consider what those songs (including WITS) will sound like in the key Perry can comfortably sing them today. I'm sure Perry and Neal are both thinking about that, and that's why I believe they won't perform those songs.

Best chance of hearing them would be as a mashup. Pieces of all the songs discussed incorporated into one performance. Perry and the band could design something that utilizes his current vocals for greatest effect.

It could be a good way to display more than just two songs out of their VAST catalog and really highlight just how freakin' talented these guys are. It certainly would be unexpected and it certainly would be memorable.

SIDE NOTE:
Just to be clear, I'm not saying any of this as a criticism of Mr. P or his vocals. I fucking LOVED what he did with the Eels and I think he's still got oodles of "it" factor in his voice. I'm simply being practical minded in all of this. It's not the 80's. Perry isn't a young guy anymore. He has health problems. Father time takes a toll on all of us. This is not something to condemn or criticize, it's something to lament and mourn. We ALL lost something special when Perry decided to leave music.

Nobody is expecting Perry to sound like he did in the 80's. They most definitely won't play whatever 3 songs they do in it's original key too. And I'm sure if Perry wants to perform in April he's going to start getting his voice in shape real soon. And add to the fact he has been working on his solo album, his voice may be in better shape then some may think.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby Pacfanweb » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:19 pm

George_g888 wrote:
STORY_TELLER wrote:

SIDE NOTE:

Nobody is expecting Perry to sound like he did in the 80's. They most definitely won't play whatever 3 songs they do in it's original key too. And I'm sure if Perry wants to perform in April he's going to start getting his voice in shape real soon. And add to the fact he has been working on his solo album, his voice may be in better shape then some may think.

That's assuming he's actually been working on a solo album. Not much evidence this year that such a thing has been happening.
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Pacfanweb wrote:That's assuming he's actually been working on a solo album. Not much evidence this year that such a thing has been happening.

I have zero doubt he's been working in the studio.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

PreviousNext

Return to Journey