Cheap Trick, Journey and Foreigner Vets Lead New ‘Rock Pack’

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Cheap Trick, Journey and Foreigner Vets Lead New ‘Rock Pack’

Postby tater1977 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:25 am

Cheap Trick, Journey and Foreigner Vets Lead New ‘Rock Pack’ Concert Experience

By Jeff Giles October 21, 2016

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rock-pack-2016/

Promising “hit after hit after hit” with “iconic singers and iconic songs,” a new package concert dubbed the Rock Pack has united current and former members from a list of veteran acts that includes Cheap Trick, Journey and Foreigner.

The lineup currently boasts Cheap Trick singer Robin Zander, Santana vet Gregg Rollie, Tubes frontman Fee Waybill, ex-Foreigner singer Lou Gramm, former Journey vocalist Steve Augeri and former Asia member John Payne — the latter of whom spearheaded the project out of a desire to “create a unique concert concept that was start to finish full of monster hits by iconic vocalists.”

For more information, and details regarding the Rock Pack’s Dec. 16 performance at the Comerica Theatre in Phoenix, visit the group’s site.

The Rock Pack isn’t Payne’s first foray into combo shows. After leaving the Asia lineup when the original members reunited in 2006, he was involved in the Las Vegas-based jukebox musical Raiding the Rock Vault, which he helped put together before being fired from the show in 2014. A subsequent lawsuit was settled in 2015, freeing up Payne to assemble the Rock Pack.

“I wanted the classic rock fans of Phoenix to enjoy the hit songs of some of our most iconic bands,” said Payne of the show, which will include between-song monologues from the performers about their experiences with the songs. “If you like Foreigner, Journey, Cheap Trick, Asia, Santana and the Tubes, then Comerica Theatre on Dec. 16 is the place to be.”
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Cheap Trick, Journey and Foreigner Vets Lead New ‘Rock P

Postby tater1977 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:32 am

Singers From Foreigner, Cheap Trick, Journey, Asia, Santana & The Tubes Form The Rock Pack

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2016/10 ... trick.html

by VVN Music

Here's an interesting lineup of musicians:

•Fee Waybill of The Tubes
•Gregg Rollie of Santana
•Lou Gramm of Foreigner
•Robin Zander of Cheap Trick
•Steve Augeri of Journey
•John Payne of Asia

These six current and former lead singers of some of the most iconic groups in history have come together as The Rock Pack.

The group will be performing on December 16 at the Comerica Thatre in Phoenix, AZ with plans for each of the singers to take the stage for their own section of the show where they will talk about and perform their hits.

Former Asia lead singer Payne said "I decided to create a concert concept that was start to finish full of monster hits. I wanted the Classic Rock fans of Phoenix to enjoy the hit songs of some of our most iconic bands ... like Foreigner, Journey, Cheap Trick, Asia, Santana and The Tubes."

The actual idea of a parade of popular artists is not new. Alan Freed, Dick Clark and others would tour the country with shows full of hitmakers and, more recently, Ringo Starr has toured with his All-Starr Band, of which Rollie has been a member, where each of the band members have their own performances within Ringo's show.

Backing the singers will be Payne's current Asia FJP Band.

A second show has already been announced for January 27 at the Coliseo de Puerto Rico José M. Agrelot in San Juan, Puerto Rico; however, Gregg Rollie is not part of the lineup for that appearance.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:40 am

Sounds almost too good to be true! I would certainly pay to see that line-up.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:35 am

Sounds like "The Voices Of Classic Rock" that Jimi Jamison and countless other great singers formed years ago.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:45 am

56e9f925ab30439a196e79e9c1a7d70c.png
56e9f925ab30439a196e79e9c1a7d70c.png (60.81 KiB) Viewed 1487 times

http://www.therockpack.com/

For 2 tickets at 158.00/ea and the stupid 25.50 for service fee for each of them.

US $367.00

Funtime.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:34 am

Certainly not cheap, but a once in a lifetime line-up. Worth the price, IMHO.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby George_g888 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:45 am

When I think of iconic signers, Steve Augeri definitely comes to mind.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:08 am

George_g888 wrote:When I think of iconic signers, Steve Augeri definitely comes to mind.

Is this sarcasm or did you mean it the way it reads? Hard to tell without inflection.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:09 am

I'm guessing sarcasm.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby George_g888 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:11 am

Yes sarcasm.

I love augeri, and realize he needs to make a buck somehow. But come on....
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:10 pm

George_g888 wrote:Yes sarcasm.

I love augeri, and realize he needs to make a buck somehow. But come on....

Just checking, lol.... I'm right there with you. Iconic? Sorry, he doesn't belong in this lineup. There's no legitimacy to it. He didn't even originate the songs he'll be touring.

It might be a different story if he was touring songs he originated while in Journey, but... You'll never see Sammy Hagar include Running With The Devil in his solo set. I'm just sayin'!
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby lparn » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:07 pm

I think this sounds interesting. Would go to see Greg and Robin Zander. My understanding is lou gramm has had some problems with his voice since his surgery. Haven't seen augeri since 2014 or so. He was really struggling at that show, saying how it was his 3rd show in a row. Hasnt really been worth making the efffort for an out of state show. Saw him from rewind on v.h.. 1 classic and was some cringing moments.
Would love to see journey tour with foreigner (current lineups)
Saw them last month with kelly hansen and they were awesome
lparn
45 RPM

Postby scarab » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:15 pm

Now if Wetton was there. Or Perry! :shock:
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:08 pm

I don't mind Augeri any more than I do Payne. If they had Hansen instead of Gramm, I would be fine with that as well. All 3 of those guys didn't originate the hits, but certainly paid their dues over the years keeping the bands going. They also contributed to new music with the groups, so it isn't like they just are karaoke. Maybe not the hits that we know the bands for, but should Journey stop playing all Rolie era songs because Cain replaced him 35 years ago?
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:25 pm

tj wrote:I don't mind Augeri any more than I do Payne. If they had Hansen instead of Gramm, I would be fine with that as well. All 3 of those guys didn't originate the hits, but certainly paid their dues over the years keeping the bands going. They also contributed to new music with the groups, so it isn't like they just are karaoke. Maybe not the hits that we know the bands for, but should Journey stop playing all Rolie era songs because Cain replaced him 35 years ago?

Yeah, I don't know dude. Not feeling your reasoning here. Perry, Neal, Ross and Smitty were also involved in the creation of the songs that were created with Rollie in the mix so, sorry, but the math doesn't work in your favor on this. Especially when Perry was the driving writing force in the band before Cain took over for Rollie. Not saying that in a mean way, just scratching my head.

See I'm a firm believer in maintaining truth and accuracy in history, so what I take issue with is the way the show is being promoted. Augeri is not an Icon on any level (neither is Hansen for that matter). Augeri did not create material that has stood the test of time. He's touring other people's songs that have stood the test of time. It's one thing if you've been hired to sing those songs by the very band that created them. It's quite another to go out there with a backing band to tour them as if they were yours all along. Chalfant is out there doing the same thing now and Hugo's been doing it for years. All 3 of these guys had musical careers of their own. Now they're out there singing tunes they had nothing to do with? They should all be sending Neal, Jon and Perry a royalty check.

Again, if Augeri was out there singing songs off Arrival and Generations, I would have no problem with it. But to be out there singing Perry's songs? It smacks of history revision for the people who don't know any better, and I don't respect it.
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby tj » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:31 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
tj wrote:I don't mind Augeri any more than I do Payne. If they had Hansen instead of Gramm, I would be fine with that as well. All 3 of those guys didn't originate the hits, but certainly paid their dues over the years keeping the bands going. They also contributed to new music with the groups, so it isn't like they just are karaoke. Maybe not the hits that we know the bands for, but should Journey stop playing all Rolie era songs because Cain replaced him 35 years ago?

Yeah, I don't know dude. Not feeling your reasoning here. Perry, Neal, Ross and Smitty were also involved in the creation of the songs that were created with Rollie in the mix so, sorry, but the math doesn't work in your favor on this. Especially when Perry was the driving writing force in the band before Cain took over for Rollie. Not saying that in a mean way, just scratching my head.

See I'm a firm believer in maintaining truth and accuracy in history, so what I take issue with is the way the show is being promoted. Augeri is not an Icon on any level (neither is Hansen for that matter). Augeri did not create material that has stood the test of time. He's touring other people's songs that have stood the test of time. It's one thing if you've been hired to sing those songs by the very band that created them. It's quite another to go out there with a backing band to tour them as if they were yours all along. Chalfant is out there doing the same thing now and Hugo's been doing it for years. All 3 of these guys had musical careers of their own. Now they're out there singing tunes they had nothing to do with? They should all be sending Neal, Jon and Perry a royalty check.

Again, if Augeri was out there singing songs off Arrival and Generations, I would have no problem with it. But to be out there singing Perry's songs? It smacks of history revision for the people who don't know any better, and I don't respect it.

I see your point, just don't agree totally, which is OK. That's what makes these boards fun. I agree that Augeri and Hansen (who I know isn't participating in this) aren't icons. Some would argue that Rolie isn't either - though I would disagree with that. I had never heard of John Payne until a few years ago, so he isn't either in my book. So you really get Zander and Gramm (Rolie if anyone outside of hardcore Journey and Santana fans know who he is). Maybe it should be "3 Rock Icons and Some Guys Who Replaced Icons".

I am pretty sure that Neal, Jon and Perry do get royalty checks as songwriters for whomever is singing. Perry sang Journey songs during his FTLOSM tour. He partially wrote some of them (or maybe all), but didn't make them famous as Steve Perry. He sang Wheel in the Sky for years, but it he didn't write it (Fleischman was partially credited). Short of the same members in a band from beginning through the money years to today, it's pretty murky to me, so that's why I am OK with it. Outside of U2, I can't think of any bands who are still together from beginning album to today. There probably are some, I just can't think of them.

I guess I think that if you were hired by the band and a member at one point, particularly if you were the lead singer, you can have at it. I would much rather hear Augeri (on a good night) singing Open Arms than Mariah Carey.

Another take, which is interesting to me is Don Felder of the Eagles. He wrote the music to Hotel California and has been playing it and other Eagles songs - which he was never the lead singer on - during his tours for several years.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby STORY_TELLER » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:18 pm

tj wrote:I see your point, just don't agree totally, which is OK. That's what makes these boards fun. I agree that Augeri and Hansen (who I know isn't participating in this) aren't icons. Some would argue that Rolie isn't either - though I would disagree with that. I had never heard of John Payne until a few years ago, so he isn't either in my book. So you really get Zander and Gramm (Rolie if anyone outside of hardcore Journey and Santana fans know who he is). Maybe it should be "3 Rock Icons and Some Guys Who Replaced Icons".

I am pretty sure that Neal, Jon and Perry do get royalty checks as songwriters for whomever is singing. Perry sang Journey songs during his FTLOSM tour. He partially wrote some of them (or maybe all), but didn't make them famous as Steve Perry. He sang Wheel in the Sky for years, but it he didn't write it (Fleischman was partially credited). Short of the same members in a band from beginning through the money years to today, it's pretty murky to me, so that's why I am OK with it. Outside of U2, I can't think of any bands who are still together from beginning album to today. There probably are some, I just can't think of them.

I guess I think that if you were hired by the band and a member at one point, particularly if you were the lead singer, you can have at it. I would much rather hear Augeri (on a good night) singing Open Arms than Mariah Carey.

Another take, which is interesting to me is Don Felder of the Eagles. He wrote the music to Hotel California and has been playing it and other Eagles songs - which he was never the lead singer on - during his tours for several years.

I kind of see what you're getting at, but I think you're splitting waaay too many hairs on this.

Writing is more than just words in a verse. The heading of writer also includes musical arrangements, melody choices, among many other things. Perry had a hand in creating the final version of WITS. It is HIS version, not Fleishman's, that we hear on the album, and it is HIS version the general public knows of. Steve Perry shouldn't be allowed to sing the songs he co-created, and more importantly, is famous for singing? Come on now. There's nothing murky about that.

Here's the short answer dude: Any artist who had a hand in either creating a work, and/or is famous for their own unique take on another artist's piece of work (i.e. Joe Cocker's cover of with a little help from my friends, Blue Swede's cover of Hooked on a Feeling, etc.) would be legitimate in touring said songs.

Augeri does not fall into that category when his show is largely comprised of songs he didn't originate and his versions are note for note and arrangement for arrangement recreations of Journey's work.

Again, IF he was touring Arrival and Generations material, it would be a different story, but he knows NO ONE is interested in paying for a ticket to hear those songs, or songs from his own band, Tall Stories. So his tour is dependent on riding the coattails of Journey's creations. Not his.

Sorry, that's pathetic.

PS: I am reasonably certain Journey does not receive a royalty check from the likes of Chalfant, Augeri or Hugo. The Perry era songs are old enough to be public domain, so legally they aren't obligated to pay a fee. Morally, IMO, they should get a cut from anyone profiting off their work from now till doomsday. :lol:
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape

Postby lparn » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:04 pm

I agree 100%on the contributions of kelly hansen
I discovered can't slow down after their show last month and it has quite a few awesome tracks on it
Loved the acoustic songs as well
Not sure why I never heard of Hurricane when he was in that band

Not sure about the royalties thing. I find it interesting that the shows augeri does are always listened as former lead singer or ex- lead singer of Journey not sure if that's to better identify him or the actual draw don't consider him an icon or in company with Gramm or the others. People can't think he's the voice of Journey
He has really done higher place almost way too much. I haven't seen him in 2 years however he has really struggled. They certainly made a good choice replacing him.
lparn
45 RPM

Return to Journey