Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Open'

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Open'

Postby tater1977 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:29 am

Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Open' for Reunion With Vocalist Steve Perry

10/28/2016 by Gary Graff

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... on-members


The members of Journey are hoping that if they're inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2017, current singer Arnel Pineda will be able to go in with them.

Journey received its first Rock Hall nomination earlier this month, and Pineda -- the Filipino native who's been fronting the group since 2007 -- was not on the list of members getting a nod (nor was original drummer Aynsley Dunbar, who played on Journey's first four albums).

"That's wrong, y'know?" keyboardist-guitarist Jonathan Cain tells Billboard. "I don't think it's fair. There is no Journey without Arnel right now. He certainly has learned his stripes. He's been with us longer than any lead singer has consecutively stayed in the band. He's given us 10 years straight, not running off or doing this, doing that, just being The Guy. So that's worth something."

Member induction controversies are nothing new to the Rock Hall. Just look at recent flaps over who was inducted for groups such as Kiss, Deep Purple and Chicago, among others. Most recently, former Pearl Jam drummer Dave Abbruzzese voiced disappointment about not being included in that band's nomination this year. Cain indicates that if inducted, Journey will lobby for Pineda's inclusion but isn't sure how effective it can be.

"We have no control of it; It's just the politics of it all," Cain notes. "What are you gonna do? You're just gonna accept what's given you in this situation. But I think it's a significant oversight, for sure, and maybe they'll reconsider when they think about it."

Of course, Journey itself has long been considered a significant oversight by the Rock Hall, and that's made the group's first-ever nomination this year a significant development. "The fans are stoked. They're very, very excited and they've been very supportive," Cain says. The group is actively campaigning for the fan vote that's being conducted via the Rock Hall website. "I think a lot of fans don't realize they can vote, and that's why we're trying to encourage it," Cain says.

The band itself is taking a wait-and-see attitude as voting is going on. "It's been a little bit of a wait just to be nominated," says Cain, who recently released a faith-based solo album called What God Wants To Hear. "We just had to be patient. I figured it would come around. We've never been the critic's choice; They bashed us in the '80s and every album we put out they just pretty much laughed at, and so much of that Hall is writers, critics. But what we've done over the years is quietly just continued to be relevant, so maybe they weren't right about us. It's funny, 'cause every one of our opening acts, it seems like they're in the Hall of Fame, starting with Cheap Trick, Joan Jett, Steve Miller, Heart. It's pretty funny, and I'm happy for all of them.

"But I think everybody [in Journey] is thrilled to be nominated. There's no doubt it's a great honor, for sure. If it doesn't happen next year it's going to eventually happen. I'm confident God'll make it happen."

A Journey induction, of course, brings about the prospect of a reunion with frontman Steve Perry for the first time since 1998. Perry has been mum about the nomination, but Cain says he'd be welcome. "I can't really speak for him in that regard, but certainly the door's always been open for him to join us any time he wants," Cain says.

Journey is largely off the road for now but is planning to tour again in 2017. Cain says the group is "looking at" making a new album, its first since 2011's Eclipse, and he acknowledges that What God Wants To Hear has "really tuned on my creative juices...that will probably lead me to the next Journey record. I was sort of stuck for a long time, creatively." But other factors will have to be negotiated before the group hunkers down to record.

"The business is just really disheartening right now," Cain says. "It costs so much money to make a CD. They're almost cost-prohibitive, and you're lucky if you can break even at this stage. You're really only doing it for the fans. I do think we have another album in us, but we've got to tighten up as a band and get our direction sorted out first. I think the last record we made was kind of a departure from what I think people want from Journey, so direction-wise we've got to get on the same page before we move forward. Once we do that, I think the songs will start coming out."
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4382
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby George_g888 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:11 am

Couple of thoughts:
A) I'm pretty sure Dunbar was included. His name is listed.
B) I don't think the group is going to get any far with lobbying to get Arnel inducted if they are inducted
C) Sounds like he is coming around to creating new Journey music!
George_g888
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:35 am

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby Marabelle » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:55 am

D. We don't know anything for sure if TMWWRN will come

E. Might be presumptuous

F. Getting too excited might cause an immediate retreat back into the black hole

G. Haha
User avatar
Marabelle
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:29 pm

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:29 pm

I think that Eclipse was far better received by Journey fans than Cain realizes or is willing to admit.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3544
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: The Best Location In the Nation

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:52 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:I think that Eclipse was far better received by Journey fans than Cain realizes or is willing to admit.


What are you basing that on? Not being a dick, I'm asking in a sincere manner.
User avatar
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby STORY_TELLER » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:14 pm

I'm sorry to disagree with Cain, but there would in fact be another Journey without Arnel right now. It would be another random tenor singer touring the PERRY era songs. Sorry guys, I support you 100%, but lets be real here.

Yes, Arnel has been a strong soldier for you. Yes, he's a sweetheart of a man and an awesome human being. Yes, you recorded a couple of albums with him. But the fact is, the music Journey is known and celebrated for does not included him because he wasn't part of the group when those songs were originated and he had no hand in creating them.

None of the albums or songs that made you famous would have done so if it wasn't for Steve Perry's involvement in their creation. He co-wrote them, he had a strong hand in defining the vocal melodies and it is his distinct voice and approach to singing that generations of singers have looked up to and tried to emulate ever since.

Sorry, but Arnel is not that guy. He is a very, very, very, solid touring singer. But in the words of Herbie Herbert: "Steve Perry he is not." No one is. That's why Perry gets in and Arnel does not -- and rightfully so. (((drops the mic)))

ST OUT! :lol:
User avatar
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby scarab » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:20 pm

Jonathan Cain Aynsley Dunbar Steve Perry Gregg Rolie Neal Schon Steve Smith Ross Valory

The Hall nails it on this one, these guys are the legacy players, and the ones I want to see the most on stage IF they receive the nod. Yes Arnel has kept them relevant, just as Augeri did, but what made them relevant is these 7 guys.
User avatar
scarab
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Pigs Eye, MN

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby tater1977 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:46 pm

STORY_TELLER wrote:I'm sorry to disagree with Cain, but there would in fact be another Journey without Arnel right now. It would be another random tenor singer touring the PERRY era songs. Sorry guys, I support you 100%, but lets be real here.

Yes, Arnel has been a strong soldier for you. Yes, he's a sweetheart of a man and an awesome human being. Yes, you recorded a couple of albums with him. But the fact is, the music Journey is known and celebrated for does not included him because he wasn't part of the group when those songs were originated and he had no hand in creating them.

None of the albums or songs that made you famous would have done so if it wasn't for Steve Perry's involvement in their creation. He co-wrote them, he had a strong hand in defining the vocal melodies and it is his distinct voice and approach to singing that generations of singers have looked up to and tried to emulate ever since.

Sorry, but Arnel is not that guy. He is a very, very, very, solid touring singer. But in the words of Herbie Herbert: "Steve Perry he is not." No one is. That's why Perry gets in and Arnel does not -- and rightfully so. (((drops the mic)))

ST OUT! :lol:


Thank you. Couldn't have said it better.
The time for AP to be nominated , would be 25 years after his first record with Journey
and not the hits they re-recorded.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4382
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby tater1977 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:53 pm

same article as above ... :roll: ... just different headline


Journey Reacts to Rock Hall of Fame Nomination - And Current Lead Singer's Snub

Billboard October 28, 2016

https://www.yahoo.com/music/journey-rea ... 29898.html
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4382
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:21 pm

STORY_TELLER wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:I think that Eclipse was far better received by Journey fans than Cain realizes or is willing to admit.


What are you basing that on? Not being a dick, I'm asking in a sincere manner.


No problem. I didn't take your question in a bad way.

As for my answer.

I feel that Cain is comparing the fact that the Hard-Rocking "Eclipse" album did not sell nearly as well as the more straight ahead AOR album "Revelation" did, and he's thinking that Journey fans did not like a Harder-Rock album.
Fact of the matter, Journey were on Oprah, Ellen, CBS' morning show and got other promotion for "Revelation" that "Eclipse" did not. That played a HUGE role in "Revelation" selling better. As did the fact that "Revelation" also had the re-records of the hits, and had a live DVD, all for the price of one album. "Revelation" had the hype of Arnel's discovery on Youtube. All of those things were gone by the time of Eclipse's release.

Cain wants a ballad heavy Journey album, and he's going to ignore those factors as being the reason that "Revelation" sold much better than "Eclipse" did. Neal and the rest of the band should not let Cain fool them into making a ballad heavy album.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 3544
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:32 pm
Location: The Best Location In the Nation

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby annie89509 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:57 pm

scarab wrote:Jonathan Cain Aynsley Dunbar Steve Perry Gregg Rolie Neal Schon Steve Smith Ross Valory

The Hall nails it on this one, these guys are the legacy players, and the ones I want to see the most on stage IF they receive the nod. Yes Arnel has kept them relevant, just as Augeri did, but what made them relevant is these 7 guys.

Agree with this totally.
And ST's post was perfect.
User avatar
annie89509
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:55 am
Location: the big 5-8

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:32 pm

STORY_TELLER wrote:I'm sorry to disagree with Cain, but there would in fact be another Journey without Arnel right now. It would be another random tenor singer touring the PERRY era songs. Sorry guys, I support you 100%, but lets be real here.

Yes, Arnel has been a strong soldier for you. Yes, he's a sweetheart of a man and an awesome human being. Yes, you recorded a couple of albums with him. But the fact is, the music Journey is known and celebrated for does not included him because he wasn't part of the group when those songs were originated and he had no hand in creating them.

None of the albums or songs that made you famous would have done so if it wasn't for Steve Perry's involvement in their creation. He co-wrote them, he had a strong hand in defining the vocal melodies and it is his distinct voice and approach to singing that generations of singers have looked up to and tried to emulate ever since.

Sorry, but Arnel is not that guy. He is a very, very, very, solid touring singer. But in the words of Herbie Herbert: "Steve Perry he is not." No one is. That's why Perry gets in and Arnel does not -- and rightfully so. (((drops the mic)))

ST OUT! :lol:



Well said!! Couldn't agree more.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
User avatar
perryfan61
8 Track
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:46 am
Location: New Brunswick. Canada

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby George_g888 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:15 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:
STORY_TELLER wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:I think that Eclipse was far better received by Journey fans than Cain realizes or is willing to admit.


What are you basing that on? Not being a dick, I'm asking in a sincere manner.


No problem. I didn't take your question in a bad way.

As for my answer.

I feel that Cain is comparing the fact that the Hard-Rocking "Eclipse" album did not sell nearly as well as the more straight ahead AOR album "Revelation" did, and he's thinking that Journey fans did not like a Harder-Rock album.
Fact of the matter, Journey were on Oprah, Ellen, CBS' morning show and got other promotion for "Revelation" that "Eclipse" did not. That played a HUGE role in "Revelation" selling better. As did the fact that "Revelation" also had the re-records of the hits, and had a live DVD, all for the price of one album. "Revelation" had the hype of Arnel's discovery on Youtube. All of those things were gone by the time of Eclipse's release.

Cain wants a ballad heavy Journey album, and he's going to ignore those factors as being the reason that "Revelation" sold much better than "Eclipse" did. Neal and the rest of the band should not let Cain fool them into making a ballad heavy album.


Cain has never said he wants a ballad heavy Journey album. It's pretty simple, he justs wants more of the classic sound. Songs like "never walk away" or "where did I lose your love" fit that mold IMO.
George_g888
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:35 am

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby STORY_TELLER » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:02 pm

George_g888 wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:No problem. I didn't take your question in a bad way.

As for my answer.

I feel that Cain is comparing the fact that the Hard-Rocking "Eclipse" album did not sell nearly as well as the more straight ahead AOR album "Revelation" did, and he's thinking that Journey fans did not like a Harder-Rock album.
Fact of the matter, Journey were on Oprah, Ellen, CBS' morning show and got other promotion for "Revelation" that "Eclipse" did not. That played a HUGE role in "Revelation" selling better. As did the fact that "Revelation" also had the re-records of the hits, and had a live DVD, all for the price of one album. "Revelation" had the hype of Arnel's discovery on Youtube. All of those things were gone by the time of Eclipse's release.

Cain wants a ballad heavy Journey album, and he's going to ignore those factors as being the reason that "Revelation" sold much better than "Eclipse" did. Neal and the rest of the band should not let Cain fool them into making a ballad heavy album.


Cain has never said he wants a ballad heavy Journey album. It's pretty simple, he justs wants more of the classic sound. Songs like "never walk away" or "where did I lose your love" fit that mold IMO.


I agree with George. Cain wants songs that are basically sequels to the Frontiers and Raised on Radio albums.

I do agree with some of the things you said, in that Revelation had a huge PR push from the YouTube discovery story, etc. Here's the thing:

I believe Revelation ONLY sold as well as it did BECAUSE of the PR behind it. It had nothing to do with the album itself.

My belief:
The public who did buy Revelation dropped their support for Eclipse, but I don't think the nature of the music on Eclipse was the reason. I think they didn't care for what they heard on Revelation and didn't even want to find out what was coming next. All those casual Journey fans who bought Revelation came to a very similar conclusion:

Arnel can sing but Journey's new music isn't the same without Perry.

Arnel on new material doesn't match their memory of what that band is to them, hence, it severed the chances of building emotional connections to new Journey music. I believe most of those buyers didn't bother to find out when another album was coming out. They reverted to caring about the GH's album at the shows and weren't interested in new music, period. IMO, that's why Eclipse had such minor sales.

Having said that, just from reading comment about the album on the web, out of the small number of people who DID buy and listen to the album, there appears to be a greater percentage of people who didn't like it than those who did.
User avatar
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby tater1977 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:42 pm

pt.JPG
pt.JPG (59.48 KiB) Viewed 1769 times

https://www.facebook.com/schonmusic?fref=photo
:roll:
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4382
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby perryfan61 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:35 pm



Not going to happen, the Hall will not induct Arnel, no matter how much the band protests. Of course, Neal will have to protest just the same.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
User avatar
perryfan61
8 Track
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:46 am
Location: New Brunswick. Canada

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby tater1977 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:28 am

October 31, 2016

Journey’s Rock Hall Nom = More Steve Perry Buzz

http://wmgk.com/2016/10/31/journeys-roc ... erry-buzz/  

With several weeks of voting still left Journey's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is hardly fete accompli.

But keyboardist-guitarist Jonathan Cain is thinking a bit about what will happen if the group -- on the ballot for the first time ever -- makes it into the Class of 2017, including whether glory days frontman Steve Perry will join the band for the occasion:

"Y'know, that would be a management question.
:roll: HUH :?:

We're kind of on a break now so can't really say, speak for him in that regard. Certainly the door's always been open for him to join us any time he wants."
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 4382
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby scarab » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:18 am

I see Neal and Jon are still throwing Augeri under the bus.
User avatar
scarab
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Pigs Eye, MN

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby STORY_TELLER » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:40 am

tater1977 wrote:Thank you. Couldn't have said it better.
The time for AP to be nominated , would be 25 years after his first record with Journey
and not the hits they re-recorded.


That part didn't even occur to me. I would add that the songs/albums recorded with Arnel would have had to become hits or generally known and celebrated by the public to allow him to be eligible.

The RNRHOF isn't about how many tours you do. It's about recognizing artists who's creative works are admired by the general public. Touring is a promotion of those works and a means of generating income. Sorry guys, but you don't deserve to get into the hall of fame for that part alone.
User avatar
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby scarab » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:59 am

Even Champlin or Scheff did not get the nod with Chicago, and they both had #1 hits with the band, albeit with Diane Warren songs. I agree, in 2033, If Journey is still relevant with Arnel, He should be included, and Auegri in 2023.
User avatar
scarab
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 am
Location: Pigs Eye, MN

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:15 pm

For the record, Jonathan Cain wrote the songs on Eclipse so if they suck, it is his fault. Personally, I don't think they suck. I just wish Cain would stop bad-mouthing them. They made several mistakes with Eclipse. They should never have released City of Hope as the single. That might be the worst song on Eclipse. Any other song would have been much stronger. Next, the songs weren't bubble gum pop ballads like Cain wants, but they weren't Metallica. They were all Journey songs. Fans got what they expected. Eclipse is a far superior album than anything else they have done in a long, long time. That is my humble opinion. :D
JourneyHard
LP
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby annie89509 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:16 pm

scarab wrote:Even Champlin or Scheff did not get the nod with Chicago, and they both had #1 hits with the band, albeit with Diane Warren songs. I agree, in 2033, If Journey is still relevant with Arnel, He should be included, and Auegri in 2023.

Exactly...the hall only wants to induct legacy players ...For Chicago, it's the original 7 and not all those guys that came after. Neal was not happy he got excluded when Santana got in (in 1998) and probably why he wants to fight for Arnel now. Knowing the kind of person Arnel is, I don't think he would mind much not being included.

Journey's legacy players are Perry-Schon-Rolie-Ross-Smitty-Dunbar-Cain. Like others have said, no way the hall changes their mind. Jon/Neal should worry more about accommodating for SP's presence than any hurt feelings Arnel may have. Consider what happened with Chicago last year. Peter Cetera made public announcement that he not only was showing up but will actually SING with the band. Fans rejoiced -- halleujah -- 1st time in 30 Years -- band reunion with the great PC. Then, it all felt apart, over pettiness. Fans chose sides on who's fault it was. No PC, no reunion performance.

Personally, if they can't work out something for SP to sing with the band, I don't think he should show up either. He has too much pride, and we as his fans, have too much pride for him to accept another singer up there taking his place -- on his night. I won't watch it...just like a lot of PC fans didn't last year.
User avatar
annie89509
Stereo LP
 
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:55 am
Location: the big 5-8

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:02 pm

annie89509 wrote:
scarab wrote:Even Champlin or Scheff did not get the nod with Chicago, and they both had #1 hits with the band, albeit with Diane Warren songs. I agree, in 2033, If Journey is still relevant with Arnel, He should be included, and Auegri in 2023.

Exactly...the hall only wants to induct legacy players ...For Chicago, it's the original 7 and not all those guys that came after. Neal was not happy he got excluded when Santana got in (in 1998) and probably why he wants to fight for Arnel now. Knowing the kind of person Arnel is, I don't think he would mind much not being included.

Journey's legacy players are Perry-Schon-Rolie-Ross-Smitty-Dunbar-Cain. Like others have said, no way the hall changes their mind. Jon/Neal should worry more about accommodating for SP's presence than any hurt feelings Arnel may have. Consider what happened with Chicago last year. Peter Cetera made public announcement that he not only was showing up but will actually SING with the band. Fans rejoiced -- halleujah -- 1st time in 30 Years -- band reunion with the great PC. Then, it all felt apart, over pettiness. Fans chose sides on who's fault it was. No PC, no reunion performance.

Personally, if they can't work out something for SP to sing with the band, I don't think he should show up either. He has too much pride, and we as his fans, have too much pride for him to accept another singer up there taking his place -- on his night. I won't watch it...just like a lot of PC fans didn't last year.


Agree with everything you say. Here's a 'what if'...this is just pure speculation, based on nothing other than the usual shenanigans known to happen with the HOF. Let's say they get the nod to be inducted in 2017. Perry agrees to show up, but the band decides to protest because Arnel is not included. Would the fans be happy to see Perry accept the induction for the entire band? Seems like the band has a wild hair up their ass about Arnel being inducted, so a wacky scenario like this isn't out of the question. It would almost be par for the course for a HOF 'reunion'.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:26 pm

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:11 pm

Here's another 'what if' to consider. If the band is that adamant about having Arnel inducted, because he put in so much time to keep the Journey brand alive and well, then shouldn't they also feel the same about Deen Castronovo? Yes, he was let go from the band for unfortunate reasons. But he was also an intricate part of rebuilding the machine and keeping it afloat. He had the longest consecutive stint on drums (same argument they are using for Arnel's vocals), and he stepped up to double duty with some great live vocals that were true to Perry's vocals. I know this is out of the question, but if the band is so uptight about having Arnel included, this point isn't too far off the mark, either.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:26 pm

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby George_g888 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:29 am

If arnel is not included, I don't see the band not showing up, or protesting. I think Jon's quote, "What are you gonna do? You're just gonna accept what's given you in this situation" says it all.

But if Steve Perry chooses not to perform, Obviously arnel will sing with them. Like Jason Scheff sang with Chicago last year. That's not even a question.
George_g888
Ol' 78
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:35 am

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:43 am

annie89509 wrote:Exactly...the hall only wants to induct legacy players ...For Chicago, it's the original 7 and not all those guys that came after. Neal was not happy he got excluded when Santana got in (in 1998) and probably why he wants to fight for Arnel now. Knowing the kind of person Arnel is, I don't think he would mind much not being included.

Journey's legacy players are Perry-Schon-Rolie-Ross-Smitty-Dunbar-Cain. Like others have said, no way the hall changes their mind. Jon/Neal should worry more about accommodating for SP's presence than any hurt feelings Arnel may have. Consider what happened with Chicago last year. Peter Cetera made public announcement that he not only was showing up but will actually SING with the band. Fans rejoiced -- halleujah -- 1st time in 30 Years -- band reunion with the great PC. Then, it all felt apart, over pettiness. Fans chose sides on who's fault it was. No PC, no reunion performance.

Personally, if they can't work out something for SP to sing with the band, I don't think he should show up either. He has too much pride, and we as his fans, have too much pride for him to accept another singer up there taking his place -- on his night. I won't watch it...just like a lot of PC fans didn't last year.


Well said, Annie. Well said.
User avatar
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:48 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Here's another 'what if' to consider. If the band is that adamant about having Arnel inducted, because he put in so much time to keep the Journey brand alive and well, then shouldn't they also feel the same about Deen Castronovo? Yes, he was let go from the band for unfortunate reasons. But he was also an intricate part of rebuilding the machine and keeping it afloat. He had the longest consecutive stint on drums (same argument they are using for Arnel's vocals), and he stepped up to double duty with some great live vocals that were true to Perry's vocals. I know this is out of the question, but if the band is so uptight about having Arnel included, this point isn't too far off the mark, either.


I think your first what if is a little far fetched, but you raise a REALLY good point here. Kind of a double standard.

My theory (and that's all it is):
I have to believe the public controversy surrounding Deen has them mum about it. In the eyes of the general public, his name is associated with the media portrayal of what happened. There's enough controversy surrounding getting Arnel in, adding to that with Deen's baggage weakens their political position, so they're trying to fight the battles they think they can win.
User avatar
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby STORY_TELLER » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:52 am

George_g888 wrote:If arnel is not included, I don't see the band not showing up, or protesting. I think Jon's quote, "What are you gonna do? You're just gonna accept what's given you in this situation" says it all.

But if Steve Perry chooses not to perform, Obviously arnel will sing with them. Like Jason Scheff sang with Chicago last year. That's not even a question.


Spot on. I think this is the most likely scenario -- and it's a damn shame. It would be a black nail in the coffin of history to have the HOF induction performance fronted by Arnel. Meaning no offense to him personally. Perry belongs up there because he is part of the history being awarded and honored, not Augeri, not Deen, and not Arnel.
User avatar
STORY_TELLER
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:02 am

STORY_TELLER wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Here's another 'what if' to consider. If the band is that adamant about having Arnel inducted, because he put in so much time to keep the Journey brand alive and well, then shouldn't they also feel the same about Deen Castronovo? Yes, he was let go from the band for unfortunate reasons. But he was also an intricate part of rebuilding the machine and keeping it afloat. He had the longest consecutive stint on drums (same argument they are using for Arnel's vocals), and he stepped up to double duty with some great live vocals that were true to Perry's vocals. I know this is out of the question, but if the band is so uptight about having Arnel included, this point isn't too far off the mark, either.


I think your first what if is a little far fetched, but you raise a REALLY good point here. Kind of a double standard.

My theory (and that's all it is):
I have to believe the public controversy surrounding Deen has them mum about it. In the eyes of the general public, his name is associated with the media portrayal of what happened. There's enough controversy surrounding getting Arnel in, adding to that with Deen's baggage weakens their political position, so they're trying to fight the battles they think they can win.


Oh, my first one was totally far fetched, and I don't see that happening at all. I was just having some fun, replacing characters from previous induction catastrophes. Like how Sammy and Mike showed up for the Van Halen induction, but the brothers and DLR didn't. Or how John Fogerty accepted the award with CCR, but refused to play with them (he played CCR tunes with an all-star band, the remaining CCR members walked out).
I think you're right about Deen's situation as well.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:26 pm

Re: Following Rock Hall Nomination, Journey Says 'Door Is Op

Postby WalrusOct9 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:00 am

Can Cain go one interview without talking about god? Egads.
-Steve C.
User avatar
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape
 
Posts: 1416
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:13 pm
Location: Nashville

Next

Return to Journey

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests