Jouney is IN RnR HOF

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: Jouney is IN RnR HOF

Postby UncleKG » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:41 am

A couple of things:

1. I read in one article where Schon said something about being willing to transpose the keys of the songs to accommodate Perry. I'm wondering if the Perry "camp" might consider that a slight and choose not to perform based on that.
2. I'm curious to hear Herbie Herbert's response to all of this, and I wonder if he'll be in attendance at the ceremony. Regardless of what you may think of the guy, he was an innovator in the band management/music industry and there's no doubt Journey would likely not have had nearly the success they did without him. I'm curious to see which of the band's members acknowledge his contribution in their speeches (I'm not saying there are any who won't, I'm just curious).
UncleKG
LP

Postby scarab » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:53 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbjs1q6NJKw

Steve gave the big props to Herbie at the WOF.

I wonder if the other band members speeches are avail. Would love to hears Schon's
Too bad Rolie didnt show.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:16 am

That sounds promising. Surely the president of the HOF would know more than anyone else how things might turn out.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:22 am

Journey’s Jonathan Cain "Thrilled" About Rock Hall Induction; Doesn’t Know If Steve Perry Will Attend Ceremony

BY ABC News Radio | December 21, 2016

http://kwbe.com/abc_classicr/journeys-j ... d35831529/

After more than 20 years of eligibility, Journey finally will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame next year at an April 7 ceremony in Brooklyn, New York. The group’s longtime keyboardist, Jonathan Cain, says he was thrilled to hear the news.

“It’s a great recognition,” he tells ABC Radio. “For over 40 years Journey’s been doing this, so it’s about time.”

The Journey members that will be honored with induction are founding and current guitarist Neal Schon and bassist Ross Valory; original singer/keyboardist Gregg Rolie and drummer Aynsley Dunbar; and the musicians who joined Schon and Valory in the band’s classic lineup — Cain, lead singer Steve Perry and drummer Steve Smith.

Of course, Journey fans are hoping that Perry, who departed the group in 1998, will reunite with his old band mates at the 2017 Rock Hall ceremony. However, Cain says he doesn’t know if that will happen.

“We spoke to his lawyer [Monday] by coincidence and I thought for sure he would have some news about…but [Steve] hasn’t said anything to him,” Jonathan reveals. “I think I’m just going to leave this one up to God. He’ll figure it out, he’ll make the moves and make it happen the way it’s supposed to happen.”

Cain adds, “We tried to reach out to him but he’s going to…decide what he wants to decide, and I can’t speak for him. I can only say to the fans that he is welcome, as our brother, any time.”

Meanwhile, Cain tells ABC Radio that while Journey’s long wait to be inducted may have been due to the band’s unpopularity with music critics, he suggests that the enduring popularity of songs like “Don’t Stop Believin'” and the group’s resurgence in recent years made them hard to keep ignoring.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:37 am

From Whitman to the band Journey -- and now to the Rock Hall of Fame

http://www.patriotledger.com/news/20161 ... ll-of-fame
By Marc Larocque
Enterprise Staff Writer

Whitman native Steve Smith was announced as an inductee for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's class of 2017 for his work as drummer for Journey, which is being honored next year. Reached by The Enterprise on Tuesday afternoon, Smith said he was honored by the hall of fame induction.

WHITMAN - "Don't Stop Believin'" in this Whitman native. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is now calling his name.

Drummer Steve Smith was announced as an inductee for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's class of 2017 on Tuesday for his work as a member of Journey, which is being honored next year alongside other groups and artists like Tupac Shakur, Pearl Jam, Joan Baez, Electric Light Orchestra and Yes. Reached by The Enterprise late Tuesday afternoon, Smith said he was honored by the hall of fame induction - and for the way fans have embraced Journey's music over the years, making "Don't Stop Believin'" into a triumphant rock anthem heard everywhere.

"I'm proud and really happy to be involved in the creation of the music on those recordings," said Smith, speaking by phone from Oregon, where he now lives for part of the year. "At the time, we had no idea the music would have such an enduring quality. We were just in our rehearsal studios, writing songs, because we needed to make a new album. The fact that it communicates so strongly to so many people is such a beautiful outcome of us writing an album."

In addition to receiving the induction, Journey also won an online fan vote of nominees held by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation.

Smith joined Journey in 1978 and then left the group in 1985, before getting back together with the band for a U.S. tour earlier this year. Smith said he will be hitting the road again with the chart-topping rock group on February 1 in Tokyo. The 32nd Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place in Brooklyn on April 7.

"It was good timing on my part," said Smith, who also leads the jazz-fusion group Vital Information. "It's very, very exciting to be chosen by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It will be a very interesting experience. I look forward to it. ... We were all extremely pleased and really honored and humbled by the whole class of 2017. It's a fantastic lineup, and a very diverse lineup, which I think is great."

Smith said he got his start as a drummer in the fourth grade, taking lessons at a small drum shop around the corner from the former downtown Brockton location of The Enterprise, where his father Bruce Smith worked as editor. The younger Smith credited Bill Flanagan for training him until he graduated from Whitman-Hanson Regional High School in 1972.

Smith still gives back to his hometown. He recently donated signed CDs, books, drum heads, and sticks to the Whitman Cultural Council as part of an online fundraiser to benefit the organization that supports art in the community.

"I have a connection to that and wanted to support the cause," Smith said.

While he learned to play jazz in Whitman, which he called "a very nice small town" where he could wander the woods behind his home, Smith said that he spent summers with his family in Chatham. Down on Cape Cod, Smith said he had a group of friends that turned him on to rock and roll greats like Jimi Hendrix and Cream.

"I met some young people with great record collections," said Smith, with a laugh. "I could relate to the drumming. I was really into Buddy Rich and big band music and jazz music that had very aggressive drumming. When I first heard original rock and roll, like Buddy Holly, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, it didn't hit me because the drumming was more reserved. ... It was more a jazz approach to playing rock music that I really related to a lot."

After attending Berklee College of Music in Boston, Smith said he played with jazz violinist Jean-Luc Ponty, and guitarist Ronnie Montrose, who performed as an opening act for Journey on a three-month concert tour.

"During that time they heard me," Smith said.

They must have liked what they heard?

"I guess so," said Smith, who replaced Aynsley Dunbar in the Journey lineup.

Smith, who is married with four children between his wife and himself, and has siblings living in Brockton and Whitman, said that, in addition to Oregon, he also lives for part of the year on the Upper West Side in Manhattan.

Back in Whitman, town officials said they are proud to hear that one of their own has made it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"I'm certainly happy to hear that a native son has done well," said Whitman Town Administrator Frank Lynam. "That's super."

Lynam added that Lenny Baker, a saxophone player born for Sha Na Na, was also from Whitman. Baker died on February 24 this year at age 69.

Bruce Smith, the Journey drummer's father, also congratulated his son on the Rock Hall of Fame induction.

"He's worked hard," said the older Smith, reached at his Chatham home. "He played all over the world. ... It's been fabulous."

Steve Smith said that the musicians of Journey didn't plan on their famous rock ballads resulting in a hall of fame induction, or selling tens of millions of albums that have been replayed for decades. But he said the band is proud of its accomplishments.

"I can't say we masterminded it," Smith said. "It just happened and we're pleased that it did."
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby marco17 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:51 am

UncleKG wrote:A couple of things:

1. I read in one article where Schon said something about being willing to transpose the keys of the songs to accommodate Perry. I'm wondering if the Perry "camp" might consider that a slight and choose not to perform based on that.

I wouldn't take it as a slight, though who knows how Perry might take things... I'd say it's Neal saying, we'll do whatever we have to do to accommodate you so you get your ass on stage with us.

Some may not think so, but to me, this is really a defining moment for Perry and how he's perceived by the fans, depending on how he handles this.
marco17
8 Track

Postby ScarabGator » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:09 am

wonder how high concert tickets prices will increase with this honor?
ScarabGator
Stereo LP

Postby UncleKG » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:28 am

marco17 wrote:
I wouldn't take it as a slight, though who knows how Perry might take things... I'd say it's Neal saying, we'll do whatever we have to do to accommodate you so you get your ass on stage with us.

Some may not think so, but to me, this is really a defining moment for Perry and how he's perceived by the fans, depending on how he handles this.

I agree on all fronts. I certainly don't think Schon meant it as a slight, but Perry strikes me as one who could be overly sensitive to any suggestion he's not vocally all he used to be (regardless of the truth of the statement). I hope he does at least one song with them.
UncleKG
LP

Postby tj » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:24 am

Gregg Rolie will be in the ROR as a member of 2 bands. Who else has that distinction? I know some people are in as individuals and band members (McCartney and Lennon, Beatles, etc.).
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Lora » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:23 am

tater1977 wrote:Journey’s Jonathan Cain "Thrilled" About Rock Hall Induction; Doesn’t Know If Steve Perry Will Attend Ceremony

“We spoke to his lawyer [Monday] by coincidence and I thought for sure he would have some news about…but [Steve] hasn’t said anything to him,” Jonathan reveals. “I think I’m just going to leave this one up to God. He’ll figure it out, he’ll make the moves and make it happen the way it’s supposed to happen.”.

I'll bet god doesn't have Steve's phone number either.
Lora
8 Track

Postby Lora » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:26 am

Memorex wrote:I come at this differently. First off, fuck the RNR HOF. Fuck them right to hell.

That said, it is clearly an honor that THE FANS have pushed for this for so long, voted en mass, etc. And that is the reward they are so deserving of. Period.

Yup.
Lora
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:58 am

Lora wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Journey’s Jonathan Cain "Thrilled" About Rock Hall Induction; Doesn’t Know If Steve Perry Will Attend Ceremony

“We spoke to his lawyer [Monday] by coincidence and I thought for sure he would have some news about…but [Steve] hasn’t said anything to him,” Jonathan reveals. “I think I’m just going to leave this one up to God. He’ll figure it out, he’ll make the moves and make it happen the way it’s supposed to happen.”.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:01 pm

Lora wrote:

LOL :D :roll: :D
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:50 pm

George_g888 wrote:If Steve Perry doesn't sing, Arnel will front them. Like Jason Scheff did with Chicago during the previous rock hall ceremony.

Yeah. And hopefully Neal doesn't act like the complete horse's ass that Robert Lamm did before, during and after that event. And maybe it will all come together.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby DracIsBack » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:54 pm

UncleKG wrote:A couple of things:

That would seem melodramatic since Perry himself dropped the keys during his solo gig, and also with the eels. I think that's fans making something of nothing, to be honest. Singers age. And Perry's catalog is higher and harder (to the point of damage inducing) than just about anybody's

2. I'm curious to hear Herbie Herbert's response to all of this, and I wonder if he'll be in attendance at the ceremony. Regardless of what you may think of the guy, he was an innovator in the band management/music industry and there's no doubt Journey would likely not have had nearly the success they did without him. I'm curious to see which of the band's members acknowledge his contribution in their speeches (I'm not saying there are any who won't, I'm just curious).

I think Herbie is an arrogant, sneering loudmouth. But no denying his role. He should be there. He should be thanked. His contributions are massive. Hopefully they won't pull a Robert Lamm and 'forget' to mention any former managers, producers or members that helped give them a career.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:33 pm

The Lefsetz Letter
First In Music Analysis
Dec 21 at 10:34 PM
http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
-to read full letter

- ... On the R&RHOF is a worthless organization with no credibility but it does allow us to have these discussions, keeping the legacy of old acts alive.

... "Wheel In The Sky"
Journey

For a long time, my favorite track by them.

It was 1978, AOR ruled, and Journey segued from a Santana-offshoot, a home for players, into a hit machine. They fit right in, we did not know they were a beacon for a younger generation, ready to dominate the next decade.

"Lights"
Journey

Soft, but not cynical. This was long before the spandex-clad hair-bands did power ballads to get MTV airplay. This was just a ballad by rockers, but it was majestic and meaningful, long before the band was seen as the wimpy favorite of women, when men could admit they liked soft, soulful stuff.

"Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'"
Journey

Now it was a year later, '79, and the band was serving notice they were something different, not leather-clad rockers who occasionally went soft, but a whole new thing. Then again, AOR was getting long in the tooth, soon to be supplanted by punk, new wave and MTV.

"Stone In Love"
Journey

I'm gonna skip 1980's "Departure," with "Any Way You Want It," a certified hit, a calling card for a lesser band, but I dare say a tad too formulaic for me, in sound, if not changes. But this...

That guitar. Come on, try and deny that riff. And to have a singer who can actually sing, WHEW!

"Who's Crying Now"
Journey

A personal favorite. It's haunting, and I'm a fool for that sound.

This is track three on 1981's "Escape," track two is "Stone In Love," and the opening cut of this trifecta is...

"Don't Stop Believin'"
Journey

This is not radically different from the election of Donald Trump, as in the media completely missed the public's love for this cut, the people on the R&RHOF committee pooh-poohed this band until...

David Chase included this track in the finale of "The Sopranos," the greatest TV drama of all time.

And then everybody realized...

"Don't Stop Believin'" is the essence of the American Dream. We keep on keepin' on, we keep on thinking things will work out, we don't stop believin', this is us!

Credit Journey for embodying all this in song.

And if you'd asked me a decade back I would have denied that Journey belonged in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but if you include Kiss and Cheap Trick and Joan Jett... Are we really gonna eliminate a band that's bigger with more hits and more cultural impact?

No way....

Bob Lefsetz <bob@lefsetz.com>
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:51 am

Super excited for both the band and the fans, as this is long overdue. But I do have to say that with all of the speculation over Steve appearing and possibly singing (and of course this is big news), it may not help the chances of this actually happening. The amount of pressure being placed on the table for this...I couldn't even imagine. We all know that there is a lot of emotion and baggage with the band, more so than any of us really know or understand. For as much as everyone wants to see a reunion happen, I can honestly say that I would understand if it didn't and wouldn't lose any respect for Steve if that were his decision. The entire music industry now has their eyes on him and the band, and for someone who has given every indication that he has moved on, I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster involved. Fingers crossed, nonetheless!
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Lora » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:05 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Super excited for both the band and the fans, as this is long overdue. But I do have to say that with all of the speculation over Steve appearing and possibly singing (and of course this is big news), it may not help the chances of this actually happening. The amount of pressure being placed on the table for this...I couldn't even imagine. We all know that there is a lot of emotion and baggage with the band, more so than any of us really know or understand. For as much as everyone wants to see a reunion happen, I can honestly say that I would understand if it didn't and wouldn't lose any respect for Steve if that were his decision. The entire music industry now has their eyes on him and the band, and for someone who has given every indication that he has moved on, I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster involved. Fingers crossed, nonetheless!

So thoughtfully stated. Very nicely done.
Lora
8 Track

Postby perryfan61 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:34 am

Lora wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Super excited for both the band and the fans, as this is long overdue. But I do have to say that with all of the speculation over Steve appearing and possibly singing (and of course this is big news), it may not help the chances of this actually happening. The amount of pressure being placed on the table for this...I couldn't even imagine. We all know that there is a lot of emotion and baggage with the band, more so than any of us really know or understand. For as much as everyone wants to see a reunion happen, I can honestly say that I would understand if it didn't and wouldn't lose any respect for Steve if that were his decision. The entire music industry now has their eyes on him and the band, and for someone who has given every indication that he has moved on, I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster involved. Fingers crossed, nonetheless!

My thoughts exactly.... I'd love to see him there, but I will understand if he decides not to sing with the band. I hope he shows up to accept his much deserved reward so we can at least see him there.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby ScarabGator » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:05 am

Just sing! You owe the fans who only voted because of you!
ScarabGator
Stereo LP

Postby Aaron » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:21 am

All of this is spot on the money. I'm glad Journey is in on their first try. FO to the RARHOF for taking so long while inducting so many other plonkers.

If they have to run 5 steps down Steve needs to sing. He IS A KEY PART of Journey and without that voice they wouldn't have done anything. Get in there an sing sir. I hope he works his ass off and only runs 2 steps down. :) If he just sings it will be good. I'm sure there is a shite ton of pressure to sing in the original key. I saw Delp back on his last tour with Boston and had Fran help with the highest notes. It worked great and was well received. Brad actually went through an explaination of how he was at the top of his range when the song was recorded and he couldn't quite get there any more. Steve doing this with Arnel would really be great.

Congrats to Journey, it's high time!

perryfan61 wrote:
Lora wrote:

My thoughts exactly.... I'd love to see him there, but I will understand if he decides not to sing with the band. I hope he shows up to accept his much deserved reward so we can at least see him there.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby Aaron » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:22 am

And I miss Rockin Deano! A smart, funny bassturd!
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:53 am

Aaron wrote:And I miss Rockin Deano! A smart, funny bassturd!

Speaking of which..... Anyone heard from TNC? I hope he is OK.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Memorex » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:21 pm

ScarabGator wrote:Just sing! You owe the fans who only voted because of you!

We voted because we appreciate his accomplishments, not so he'd sing. At least that's my opinion.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:45 pm

Lora wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Schon admits he doesn’t even have Perry’s number and no one seems to know it.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby DracIsBack » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:00 am

marco17 wrote:Some may not think so, but to me, this is really a defining moment for Perry and how he's perceived by the fans, depending on how he handles this.

Having lived through the Chicago debacle last year, it's going to be a bit of a 'no win' situation.

I hope he goes. I hope he performs. I hope he speaks. I hope he has a thick skin for the inevitable ageist barbs about how the keys are lowered or "he can't sing anymore" from fans he can sing still circles around even now. I hope he's willing and able to put bygones behind him, and I hope the band is too. I hope the band is welcoming to him. I hope he and the band see it as a chance to celebrate the music they collectively made together and do it for the fans one more time.

You know - the exact opposite of what happened with Chicago. :-)
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Arkansas » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:32 am

This is purely business, IMO. Perry should be getting his ENT doc on the calendar, as well as vocal coaches. He's got 12 weeks of conditioning, and 12 weeks to get his next record done. Go be cordial to everyone and do the RHoF thing, then drop the new music the next day. Maybe hit Journey's Vegas residency for a few songs here and there. Maybe do a couple of months of selective solo dates here and there. Then take the rest of the year off, and disappear again. 2017 could be his 'swan song'. I think everyone would be fine with that.

later~
Arkansas
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:06 am

If Steve has been in (probably mostly out) of the studio for 1 1/2 years I am sure his voice is as good as the TBF days.
Steve sounded great on the Eels song, the Cooke tune, and his own Lights.
If he doesnt sing, if anything else, I sure hope this motivates to finish his album.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby JBlake » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:12 am

tater1977 wrote:New York Times Arts ‏@nytimesarts · 22s22 seconds ago

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's class of 2017 includes Pearl Jam, Journey, Tupac Shakur, Joan Baez, E.L.O. and Yes

Yeah, last weekend I was listening to the radio and they were interviewing The Lobster who apparently was/is a dj who knew the band quite well and was being flown in to be with the band during this occasion. Very interesting what he said in regards to Neil back during the really early years of his career. He was saying that Neil was this hot shot guitarist who used to play in Palo Alto sometimes. Damn I wish I was old enough back then to have been in some of those clubs watching Neil play. Also the Lobster had a very interesting story about Perry and how it came about that he did a song or two with the band during the time Robert Fleischman was the vocalist.
God better be wearing his titanium cup when I arrive to be judged, cause the very first thing I'm going to do is break my foot off in his balls. Liberals and Dems are proof that Satan has, to some extent, a sense of humor.
JBlake
8 Track

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:08 am

DracIsBack wrote:
marco17 wrote:Some may not think so, but to me, this is really a defining moment for Perry and how he's perceived by the fans, depending on how he handles this.

Having lived through the Chicago debacle last year, it's going to be a bit of a 'no win' situation.

I hope he goes. I hope he performs. I hope he speaks. I hope he has a thick skin for the inevitable ageist barbs about how the keys are lowered or "he can't sing anymore" from fans he can sing still circles around even now. I hope he's willing and able to put bygones behind him, and I hope the band is too. I hope the band is welcoming to him. I hope he and the band see it as a chance to celebrate the music they collectively made together and do it for the fans one more time.

You know - the exact opposite of what happened with Chicago. :-)

I think we are all hoping for the same thing....just to see them all together one more time would really be something to celebrate.
perryfan61
8 Track

PreviousNext

Return to Journey