The Best Years To Be A Journey Fan

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:56 am

1. 1981 - They released Captured, a double live album. Plus, they released their best album Escape. This has to be the best year to be a Journey fan.

2. 1983 - They released Frontiers and their videos were all over MTV.

3. 1978 - They released Infinity, the first album with Steve Perry.

4. 2017 - They will be inducted into the Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame. If Steve Perry shows up, this might be moved up to third best year to be a Journey Fan.

5. 1986 - They released Raised on Radio, and their live concert videos were all over MTV.

6. 1979 - They released Evolution, the first album with Steve Smith.

7. 1980 - They released Departure.

8. 1996 - They released Trial By Fire. If this had been followed up with a tour with Steve Perry, this would have been the fourth best year to be a Journey Fan.

9. 1992 - They released Time3 which featured a lot of previously unreleased Journey material.

10. 2005 - They had a great concert tour where they played material from all periods of their catalogue including pre-Perry. They also gave away Generations at most of the shows.

11. 2008 - They released Revelation, their first album with Arnel Pineda. Riding the buzz of Don't Stop Believin' becoming a major hit due to several factors, Journey had a great tour.

12. 1975 - They released their first album Journey. This has to be included because if they never started then nothing else would have come afterwards.
JourneyHard
LP

Re: The Best Years To Be A Journey Fan

Postby tj » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:25 am

JourneyHard wrote:The Best Years To Be A Journey Fan

1. 1981 - They released Captured, a double live album. Plus, they released their best album Escape. This has to be the best year to be a Journey fan.

2. 1983 - They released Frontiers and their videos were all over MTV.

3. 1978 - They released Infinity, the first album with Steve Perry.

4. 2017 - They will be inducted into the Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame. If Steve Perry shows up, this might be moved up to third best year to be a Journey Fan.

5. 1986 - They released Raised on Radio, and their live concert videos were all over MTV.

6. 1979 - They released Evolution, the first album with Steve Smith.

7. 1980 - They released Departure.

8. 1996 - They released Trial By Fire. If this had been followed up with a tour with Steve Perry, this would have been the fourth best year to be a Journey Fan.

9. 1992 - They released Time3 which featured a lot of previously unreleased Journey material.

10. 2005 - They had a great concert tour where they played material from all periods of their catalogue including pre-Perry. They also gave away Generations at most of the shows.

11. 2008 - They released Revelation, their first album with Arnel Pineda. Riding the buzz of Don't Stop Believin' becoming a major hit due to several factors, Journey had a great tour.

12. 1975 - They released their first album Journey. This has to be included because if they never started then nothing else would have come afterwards.

1983 would be my #1. To me, Frontiers was the culmination of a band that had worked hard for a decade, enduring changes in style, members, producers, and public appreciation (Disco, New Wave, etc.). At that point, we had a catalog of all of their best music to pull from. The years after have helped the legacy endure, but if it had all had ended in 83, I would still be the fan I am today.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:09 am

Initially Dec of 1981, on a cross country road trip. I was 11, and Escape dominated the radio. but...

For me it was 1984, of all years when Journey were on hiatus most of the year, until 88-95

I was only 13-14 then, only having Frontiers and Escape. Not only was HSAS and Ask the lonely all over the radio,
Steve's Solo ST came out. Had a job mowing 4-5 lawns that summer and Caddying (a god awful job spending 6+hours to carry rich aholes clubs for 10$ and if you were lucky a coke and 1$ tip).

But with the $ I bought first Infinity, then Departure, then Captured, Evolution, and finally Dream after Dream.( for at the time 20$, a small fortune)
For my 14th Bday I got a walkman and while mowing the lawns I wore all those cassettes out, then came HSAS and Street Talk.
A 4-5 month span I had 7-8 new Journey related albums with endless songs to hear. (throw a rolie and schon solo into that mix).

1985 came the drought save Only the Young, but because of 1984, I bought many endless Journey sound alike albums, and cemented my fan in Melodic Rock.

1986 brought Journey back at first because I bought the first 3 albums, a little of a let down for a MR fan, but still great and ROR, which was was hit or miss but the concert was great.

After 87, all the Journey related projects have been good at most, the Storm, Bad English, Schon solos, Perry solo, TBF, and the post Perry albums but never resonated with me as much.

Heres only hoping 2017 (God am I old) brings the guys back on stage with Perry, if only for 1 song.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby SoonerThunder » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:54 pm

scarab wrote: Had a job mowing 4-5 lawns that summer and Caddying (a god awful job spending 6+hours to carry rich aholes clubs for 10$ and if you were lucky a coke and 1$ tip).

But at least you won the caddy tournament and nailed Smails' niece, right? :D
SoonerThunder
Radio Waves

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:35 pm

For me, it was 1989. I was 15. A friend made me a copy of the new Greatest Hits cassette. I liked Journey, but was only familiar with their radio hits and their MTV videos. I even knew a few of the people in the crowd from the Send Her My Love video that was shot in Philly. After one listen to the cassette, I was hooked. By the end of that year, I owned everything from Infinity to ROR. Hearing Captured for the first time was a big thrill...it was like going to see my favorite band in concert. It was the first live material that I heard and was blown away.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby MysteryMountain » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:10 am

I got the Departure 8-track when I was in the 3rd grade (1980) making me 10 years old. I had just got a portable 8 track player for my birthday and was able to purchase 2 8-tracks to accompany it. Funny thing was, I always thought Greg was British and that he changed his voice when the Perry parts were sung or from song to song - had no idea as to the band structure or members. I said I was 10 didn't I? It remains my favorite to this day.

Shortly thereafter, I purchased or at least heard Captured, probably at my older cousins house, on cassette and purchased a copy. A few years later, I heard Escape & Frontiers about the same time, obtaining Frontiers via Columbia House. I then kind of heard or obtained everything in reverse, starting, as I said with Frontiers '83 then working backwards with Escape. I heard all the hits via MTV & radio play for songs like DSB, Open Arms, Lights, Wheel in the Sky, etc. (although my only reference to the older songs were from Captured), but had never purchased Evolution, or Infinity, let alone the first 3. I was moving into my Metal phase, and that's where my loose change went. I probably bought the Greatest Hits in there too. I had considered Journey one of my top 3 favorite bands, but It wasn't until I heard the Chicago bootleg around 1999ish that I was even aware of songs like Daydream, Next, or Opened The Door (3 songs that would become my favorites). After hearing that, I immediately bought the first 3 albums, as well as Infinity, & Evolution to round out my collection and expand my knowledge & musical taste of the band. I still prefer everything up to Escape much more than it & everything that came after. I guess I was always in the Rolie camp, and when i was older, the first 3 albums became my preferred style. So I will choose 1980 as my favorite, but what a strange way to become familiar with their entire catalog, jumping in & around like that & almost working backwards. Although I have to say, discovering the older stuff later in life, I think has made it that much fresher for me, and therefore more enjoyable.
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Postby tj » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:18 am

MysteryMountain wrote: Funny thing was, I always thought Greg was British and that he changed his voice when the Perry parts were sung or from song to song - had no idea as to the band structure or members..

That's awesome! :D
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:42 pm

My first experience with Journey was hearing Lights and Wheel in the Sky on the radio, and wondering who this band was, and thinking they were awesome. This must have been in 1978. :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Memorex » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:20 am

I recall the moment I became a fan. My friend had a cassette of Evolution and he put it on at my house one day. This was actually right after Captured was released. Lovin You is Easy came on and I was like What the fuck? Why have I not heard of this before? I went out and bought Captured and it was pure heaven. Then I got all the past stuff and I actually used my first paycheck from McDonalds ($35) to buy the import of Dream After Dream ($25). Still recall the moment I first heard Who's Cryin' Now on the radio as well. It wasn't that long after I discovered the band and this was so different but that voice was insane. One of my favorite songs from them to this day. Got to see them at the Rose Bowl at the end of the Escape tour, then a bunch more times after that.

I had heard their "hit" songs before, but just never took notice till that day hearing Evolution. Lost my virginity that week too. So you know, it was a great time for me. :)
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 pm

I've been a fan since 1981 when Escape came out. It was a bad ass record.

Then Frontiers come out and I liked the new record but it didn't rock as hard as Escape.

Then I went off to college and realized there were 3 records before Escape that needed a look. And Jeezus how the view got better. Infinity was awesome with Perry finding his way and a few rockers from Neil. Evolution is my all time favorite with Perry in his prime and some killer rocking. Sweet and Simple is one of my all time favorites. Smith is a drumming machine. Then Departure came out and Any Way You Want it carried the day. Schon you rule that bad ass song! My favorite ever. Then Captured comes out and delivers "The Party's Over" which is KILLER. These three completely over shadow Escape in my mind, although Escape clearly rocks harder. I'm torn between Elson's rock stuff and Roy Thomas Baker's layered vocals. I'm going with Baker on the vocals but man combine those two and BRACE FOR IMPACT!

I'm going 3. 1978 only because if you started then, you'd see them all during the best part of their creative career.
Taking life a quarter mile at a time .... [img]
Aaron
Cassette Tape

Postby yogi » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:12 am

A little off topic but.......

Infinity was to Journey what Equinox was for Styx

Escape was to Journey what The Grand Illusion was for Styx

Frontiers was to Journey what Paradise Theater was for Styx

Trial By Fire was to Journey what Edge Of The Century was for Styx

Steve Perry was to Journey what Dennis DeYoung was for Styx

Physical ailments caused both of them to be removed from the bands they fronted.

These bands have sooooo sooooooo many correlations its funny.

The biggest for me being Infinity( Steve's first album) will always be the classic Journey album in my book, whereas Equinox ( Styx's first album for A&M) will always be my Styx favorite.

Escape/ Frontiers & The Grand Illusion/Paradise Theater will always be viewed as the pinnacle for these bands but I will ALWAYS think their earlier work was far far superior.
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby AR » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:27 am

2001-2006 for me because I had connections. :lol:
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby slucero » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:38 pm

1978 - Infinity

I was a sophmore/junior in high school. Living in the SF Bay Area we all knew who Journey was. Feeling that Way/Anytime was always played back-to-back, and at the time was getting tons of radio play on our local stations...

I remember hearing it over and over.. then getting the cassette and wearing it out..

been a fan ever since...

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Return to Journey