Benny "Wolfman Black" Collins passed away

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Benny "Wolfman Black" Collins passed away

Postby Memorex » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:41 pm

http://plsn.com/main-news/21906-in-memoriam-benny-collins,-68.html

He began his production career as a roadie for Larry Graham’s Graham Central Station, and then started working for Bill Graham. In 1979, he became a drum tech for Journey, and quickly moved up to stage manager and then production manager.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Re: Benny "Wolfman Black" Collins passed away

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:07 am

Sorry to hear this. He was a big part of the Frontiers and Beyond documentary.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby bellairepark73 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Part of Steve's speech included a mention of him as the "late, great Benny Collins". Beautiful poignant and touching.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby FamilyMan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:26 am

When I was a much younger man, I was a stagehand at the Meadowlands in NJ. In 1986, we did the Amnesty International Conspiracy of Hope show at Giants Stadium. Benny was the stage manager - and employed a rotating stage which allowed one band to be playing live facing the audience, while we (the crew) prepared the band gear for the next band up in the rear. When one band finished their set, we simply rotated the stage 180 degrees, and the next act up was ready. Benny kept saying, "We did this at Live Aid last year and it kept the show on time." Simple, but genius. And this was before the days of hydraulics or motors. It took manpower. Christopher Reeve (pre-accident) was hanging out in the wings and Benny kept yelling, "Hey Superman - help us rotate this stage!" Fond memories.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Return to Journey