Pine Knob - NEVER - DTE

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Pine Knob - NEVER - DTE

Postby tater1977 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:01 am

Pine Knob - NEVER - DTE :lol:

Journey - Clarkston, MI 1981 (clip)

https://youtu.be/vAQXqD4u7zM
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Pine Knob - NEVER - DTE

Postby scarab » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 am

NEVER?

nice clip
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:54 am

scarab wrote:NEVER?

nice clip

Nah ... will always be Pine Knob. :lol:
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:07 am

One of the shittiest venues I've ever been to in my life. They should just raze this place to the ground.

I remember seeing the Black Crowes there once. I'm a huge fan, and I still couldn't tell what song they were playing until a minute or so into most of them, just because the sound was so bad.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:48 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:One of the shittiest venues I've ever been to in my life. They should just raze this place to the ground.

I remember seeing the Black Crowes there once. I'm a huge fan, and I still couldn't tell what song they were playing until a minute or so into most of them, just because the sound was so bad.

It may be nowadays. First time there '79 and it only held around 12,000. Sound system
was ahead of its time back then, you didn't get the stadium speaker echo and you
could see the stage from just about any viewpoint.

The location was great, out in the middle of nowhere. Up close to the Pine Knob
Ski Resort we skied at. Only thing that sucked was the 2 lane road going past it all.

Haven't been there since '83, so your descrption might be accurate nowadays.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby WalrusOct9 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:28 am

This was in 2001. Every show I saw there in high school though was pretty terrible. You couldn't get decent pavilion seats, because almost all of them went to corporate interests/season tickets/etc, and the lawn was so far back, you might as well have been listening to a cheap stereo. It's a place for people to go get drunk on overpriced beer, not really to have a good musical experience. Not to mention it's in the middle of nowhere and getting in/out of it takes about as long as the actual performance. People bitch about arena shows, but give me a decent arena over an outdoor amphitheater every. single. day.

A huge part of it is that roof. If it was open-air, you'd be subject to the elements, but the sound would be a thousand times better.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:43 am

WalrusOct9 wrote:This was in 2001. Every show I saw there in high school though was pretty terrible. You couldn't get decent pavilion seats, because almost all of them went to corporate interests/season tickets/etc, and the lawn was so far back, you might as well have been listening to a cheap stereo. It's a place for people to go get drunk on overpriced beer, not really to have a good musical experience. Not to mention it's in the middle of nowhere and getting in/out of it takes about as long as the actual performance. People bitch about arena shows, but give me a decent arena over an outdoor amphitheater every. single. day.

A huge part of it is that roof. If it was open-air, you'd be subject to the elements, but the sound would be a thousand times better.

When did they add 13,000 more venue seats ? Looked up a recent photo and damn, talk about the size of
the roof. That roof back in '79, extended out, only about 1/3 the length it looks now. The lawn seat were
considerably closer at the time. LOL, one thing I do remember well, we had seats for Jefferson Starship and
it started pouring. While we laughed at the folks on the lawn getting soaked, frickin downpour started
running downhill and drainage backed up and flooded everything. We all went home soaked in
rain/mud. Ticket prices were like $8.00 - 9.00 back then.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby WalrusOct9 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:19 am

tater1977 wrote:
When did they add 13,000 more venue seats ? Looked up a recent photo and damn, talk about the size of
the roof. That roof back in '79, extended out, only about 1/3 the length it looks now. The lawn seat were
considerably closer at the time. LOL, one thing I do remember well, we had seats for Jefferson Starship and
it started pouring. While we laughed at the folks on the lawn getting soaked, frickin downpour started
running downhill and drainage backed up and flooded everything. We all went home soaked in
rain/mud. Ticket prices were like $8.00 - 9.00 back then.

No idea. I was in high school in the late 90's, so that's my earliest memory of it. The roof definitely extended to the last row of the pavillion, because that's where I sat when I saw REM in '99 (I was the 2nd person in line to get tickets, too. WTF?) But it was a massive shithole then, so I can't even imagine it 20 years later.
-Steve C.
WalrusOct9
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:19 am

tater1977 wrote:Pine Knob - NEVER - DTE

Journey - Clarkston, MI 1981 (clip)

I might have been at this concert. :D
JourneyHard
LP

Return to Journey