Journey Live In Singapore: A Journey With Highs And Lows

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Postby tater1977 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:00 pm

February 12, 2017

http://popspoken.com/music/2017/02/jour ... apore-2017

Journey took to Singapore last night to a theatre packed almost to capacity with fans. The iconic band, who also performed here back in 2013, put on a spectacular one night-only performance at The Star Theatre, stunning fans with song after song of their greatest hits.

The band currently consists of drummer Steve Smith, keyboardist Jonathan Cain, bassist Ross Valory, lead guitarist Neal Schon, and lead vocalist Arnel Pineda, who hails from the Philippines.

Pineda has been touring with Journey since 2007, when he replaced original lead vocalist Steve Perry.

The band, who arrived close to twenty minutes late, opened strong with “Separate Ways”, one of their most famous songs. The crowd was quick to get on their feet and many people started dancing on the spot and singing along.

They then proceeded to sing many more familiar hits such as “Who’s Crying Now”, “Wheel in the Sky” and “Open Arms”, all of which the crowd immensely enjoyed.

Though Pineda kept the whole concert going with his energetic jumps and a voice that was as powerfully close to Steve Perry’s as one could get, the real show stopper last night was Schon and his guitar solos.

Throughout the hour-and-a-half set, Schon dedicated a lot of time to his famous guitar solos. The 62-year-old guitarist has been with Journey since the very beginning and has been on every single one of its 14 albums since 1975. He stunned the crowd with the very skills that will get him inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame later this year.

Another highlight of the show was Steve Smith and his drum solos. At one point, all the other members of Journey quite literally walked off the stage as Smith began a drum solo that stunned the audience. In fact, the entire theatre lapsed into silence as everyone listened eagerly. Smith will also be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame alongside Schon.

The mood in the theatre was one that had its highs and lows. There were times, especially during some of their more famous songs, that the crowd, mostly made up of older fans, would be on their feet and rocking along with the band. But when the band dipped into songs from their less-well-known compilations, the mood took a perceptible dip and fans could be seen sitting down and losing interest.

The set however, ended with a roaring bang as the legends sang “Don’t Stop Believin’”, the iconic hit from their 1981 album, “Escape”. Fans were on their feet and screaming back the lyrics in tandem with the band in an uplifting performance.

Following weak chants for an encore, the band returned to the stage shortly after their biggest hit. They sang a number that was originally supposed to go on their “Frontiers” album in 1983 that ultimately didn’t make the cut.

Considering that hardly anyone knew this song, it really fell flat and some people started leaving midway through the song. Thankfully, the timeless group redeemed themselves by singing their hit, “Lovin’ Touchin’ Squeezin’” which had fans on their feet and back in a great mood for the big finale.

It’s safe to say that no matter how many years go by, Journey will always remain one of the greatest rock bands out there right. At least I know that I spent ages after the concert with my ears ringing for the beauty that was Journey.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Journey Live In Singapore: A Journey With Highs And Lows

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Sad that the fans didn't appreciate the deeper cuts.....probably means the band won't be trying this again. Too bad, really.

He didn't say what the song after the encore was. Anyone know?
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby scarab » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:33 pm

The Raza Del Sol? Which is an Escape era song (It's the B side of still they ride).
Unless the played Liberty?
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby MysteryMountain » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:25 am

I would assume a giant percentage of those 'fans' have Journey's Greatest Hits, and nothing more in their MP3/CD/cassette/album collection. If they did, there is no way deep cuts would make them sit & wonder - they should be thrilled they're getting something not as contemporary or overplayed. :roll: But I get it, gotta pander to those paying for the show, while Journey can 'claim' they snuck in some deep cuts for their 'hardcore' fans. Pfft give me a break. Journey will probably soon, just put on the GH album and lip sync the damn thing... what's the difference at this point?

"Following weak chants for an encore" - :shock: that was a real glowing endorsement :D
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:50 am

The encore was probably All That Really Matters. :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:43 am

scarab wrote:The Raza Del Sol? Which is an Escape era song (It's the B side of still they ride).

Back in the mid to late 80's a friend of my brother owned a 45 of Journey that had "La Razza Del Sol" as the B-side. He let me borrow it and I transferred it over to a cassette tape. But I misplaced that cassette many, many years ago. I seem to remember the version of LRDS that was on that 45 as having a different mix than the version that is on the Time 3 Box Set?

Does anyone else have that recording that appeared on the 45? And am I right about it having a different mix? It's the guitar solo in particular that I seem to recall it being different?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Journey/Survivor wrote:
scarab wrote:The Raza Del Sol? Which is an Escape era song (It's the B side of still they ride).

Back in the mid to late 80's a friend of my brother owned a 45 of Journey that had "La Razza Del Sol" as the B-side. He let me borrow it and I transferred it over to a cassette tape. But I misplaced that cassette many, many years ago. I seem to remember the version of LRDS that was on that 45 as having a different mix than the version that is on the Time 3 Box Set?

Does anyone else have that recording that appeared on the 45? And am I right about it having a different mix? It's the guitar solo in particular that I seem to recall it being different?

Yep! It was the flip side to Still They Ride. I forget which version is which, but one of them has an acoustic guitar solo that goes into an electric guitar solo, the other doesn't have the acoustic guitar. Ironically, the 45 that I have has the labels on the wrong side. Not sure to if that adds value to it, but it's still a nice little piece of my collection.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:

Yep! It was the flip side to Still They Ride. I forget which version is which, but one of them has an acoustic guitar solo that goes into an electric guitar solo, the other doesn't have the acoustic guitar. Ironically, the 45 that I have has the labels on the wrong side. Not sure to if that adds value to it, but it's still a nice little piece of my collection.

That's what I was thinking, that the version on the 45 didn't have the acoustic guitar solo that leads into the electric solo on the Time 3 release.

Funny thing is that I could've sworn that my brothers friend had a 45 with Don't stop Believin' on the A-side, and La Razza Del Sol on the b-side.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:12 pm

one of the first 45's I ever had, I think Thunder ISland was the 1st.
Natural Thing was on the flip side.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:29 pm

Yeah, Natural Thing was the flip side to Don't Stop Believin'.

I think the original flip side of La Raza is on the Escape remastered CD.

Or you could just buy the 45 from Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/still-they-ride- ... B00413SW34
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby MysteryMountain » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:30 am

JourneyHard wrote:The encore was probably All That Really Matters. :D

ha, what a horrible song - sounds like something that got dumped from the Breakfast Club Soundtrack for being TOO 80s.
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Postby JourneyLFN » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:26 am

Per Setlist.FM the first encore was La Raza del Sol and then LTS.
Last edited by JourneyLFN on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
JourneyLFN
Radio Waves

Postby tater1977 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:43 am

JOURNEY LIVE IN SINGAPORE

The Star Theatre

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/h ... o-the-past

The bulk of the two-hour show at The Star Theatre was reserved for their best-known tunes from the 1980s - no one heading to a Journey show would expect otherwise - but the real gems appeared during the encore.

Returning to the stage after a rousing rendition of what is arguably their most popular anthem, Don't Stop Believin', the veteran American band tore into La Raza Del Sol, a little-known track from the same album, 1981's Escape.

It made you realise how much they had reined in their musical prowess when they started focusing on the romantic power ballads that endeared them to a mainstream audience. A heady mix of vivacious Latin rock and jazz with progressive undertones, it was a performance that harked back to the band's early 1970s roots.

Guitarist and founding member Neal Schon, 62, after all, spent his early years playing with Latin rock icon Santana before forming Journey in San Francisco.

Schon's adroit playing on the song - guitar licks executed with speed and finesse - was matched by the tight rhythms from keyboardist Jonathan Cain, 66, and drummer Steve Smith, 62, both long-time members.

The band's technical brilliance appeared in snatches elsewhere throughout the show in the form of guitar and drum solos.

For the most part though, it was a setlist that pandered to their adoring, mostly mature fans in the audience.

The material was mostly from Escape and its 1983 follow-up, Frontiers, the two albums that gave the band their most recognisable tunes - synth-heavy love songs such as Faithfully, Open Arms and Who's Crying Now that feature big choruses bolstered by multi-part harmonies.

Filipino singer Arnel Pineda, who was famously discovered on YouTube singing Journey cover songs, joined the band a decade ago and did a stellar job mimicking original singer Steve Perry's high notes.

The youngest member at 49, the diminutive frontman was also the biggest showman in the band as he executed multiple leaps on stage.

While he seemed to struggle with hitting the right notes in gig opener Separate Ways (Worlds Apart), he quickly found his stride by the second song, Be Good To Yourself, from 1986's Raised On Radio.

He offered little verbal interaction with the audience though, aside from the standard "Thank you Singapore, are you happy?" shout-outs.

There was more banter from Schon, fellow founding member and bassist Ross Valory, 68, and Cain, who took turns to talk about the stories behind some of their classic songs.

Lights, from 1978 album Infinity, for example, was an ode to their home city of San Francisco and one of the first songs Schon wrote with Perry.

It was heartening to hear them play the ballad, a relatively minor hit compared to their better-known Top 10 tunes. That it showed off more of their musical dexterity did not hurt either.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:46 am

Looks like it was La Raza Del Sol for the 1st encore song then LTS.
Wonder if it was Schon's 15 min jam session ...
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:52 am

tater1977 wrote:Looks like it was La Raza Del Sol for the 1st encore song then LTS.
Wonder if it was Schon's 15 min jam session ...

Probably. Not a good choice at the end of a show, but that's only my opinion.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:32 am

If anyone can give me more information on this one record of mine I'd appreciate it.

I've got a 12 inch record that I bought years ago (Probably in the late 1980's) at either a record store or at a record convention, I can't remember which.
On the A-side is the studio version of "Any Way You Want It," and on the B-side are live versions of "Do You Recall" and "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin.'"
The record also included a Journey 1979 World Tour Backstage Access Pass.
My record is still in the plastic wrap but it does have a slit on the side to be able to get the record out, and the backstage pass is still under the plastic wrap.
The front cover of the album has a somewhat large sticker on it that names which songs are on it as well as mentioning the backstage pass.
The price of the record is listed in Pounds not American Dollars.
The back of the cover has a large photo of the Evolution and Departure lineup of the band, as well as a brief history of the band titled as "The Journey Story."
It says that the live versions of "Do You Recall" and "Lovin' Touchin' Sqeezin'" were recorded in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Anyone have any more info about this record? Is it kind of rare, or are there a lot of copies of it out there? Do you know what country it was released in originally?
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:33 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:If anyone can give me more information on this one record of mine I'd appreciate it.

I've got a 12 inch record that I bought years ago (Probably in the late 1980's) at either a record store or at a record convention, I can't remember which.
On the A-side is the studio version of "Any Way You Want It," and on the B-side are live versions of "Do You Recall" and "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin.'"
My record is still in the plastic wrap but it does have a slit on the side to be able to get the record out, and the backstage pass is still under the plastic wrap.
The front cover of the album has a somewhat large sticker on it that names which songs are on it as well as mentioning the backstage pass.
The back of the cover has a large photo of the Evolution and Departure lineup of the band, as well as a brief history of the band titled as "The Journey Story."
It says that the live versions of "Do You Recall" and "Lovin' Touchin' Sqeezin'" were recorded in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Anyone have any more info about this record? Is it kind of rare, or are there a lot of copies of it out there? Do you know what country it was released in originally?

Think this is the one, but no other info.

JOURNEY Any Way You Want It (1980 UK 3-track 12" vinyl single, also including live versions of Do You Recall & Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' recorded in Little Rock, Arkansas, picture sleeve 12-8558)

12" vinyl £ 8.00

http://eil.com/shop/PrinterFriendly.asp ... 31=Journey
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:54 am

tater1977 wrote:
Journey/Survivor wrote:If anyone can give me more information on this one record of mine I'd appreciate it.

Think this is the one, but no other info.

JOURNEY Any Way You Want It (1980 UK 3-track 12" vinyl single, also including live versions of Do You Recall & Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' recorded in Little Rock, Arkansas, picture sleeve 12-8558)

12" vinyl £ 8.00

http://eil.com/shop/PrinterFriendly.asp ... 31=Journey

Yeah, that's it. Thanks for looking it up for me!
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Return to Journey