This Travis guy...

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

This Travis guy...

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:46 pm

He still sounds more suited for Rascal Flatts than Journey. On their current Asian tour, Travis is singing nearly half the set and Neal is engaging in more and more extended solos. I think the dirty dozen meat grinder is getting to Arnel personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGxnwo0q4-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1qA8Qj_s-M
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: This Travis guy...

Postby MCC620 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:01 am

well at least when travis takes the lead mic it won't be such a shock to arnel....
~Maria~
Haters Gonna Hate
MCC620
8 Track

Postby Onestepper » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:11 am

Wow, it's official....they've basically become a cover band.

Just terrible.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby George_g888 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:32 am

In Japan when they did Escape and Frontiers in its entirety, Travis only sung 3 songs, Lay it down, After the Fall, and Frontiers. Hardly qualifies as half of the set...
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby brywool » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:24 am

George_g888 wrote:In Japan when they did Escape and Frontiers in its entirety, Travis only sung 3 songs, Lay it down, After the Fall, and Frontiers. Hardly qualifies as half of the set...

Crap, was looking forward to hearing Arnel singing these.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Marabelle » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:02 am

TNC???
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby fightingilliniJRNY » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:55 am

Welcome back, TNC!!!
fightingilliniJRNY
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:38 am

He sounds pretty good on Lay It Down. Better than I would expect.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:02 am

George_g888 wrote:In Japan when they did Escape and Frontiers in its entirety, Travis only sung 3 songs, Lay it down, After the Fall, and Frontiers. Hardly qualifies as half of the set...

Seems every clip on YouTube I find is either of Travis singing, Neal doing an extended solo, or Arnel having a tough go of it. Arnel still sounds great on the ballads tho.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:03 am

JourneyHard wrote:He sounds pretty good on Lay It Down. Better than I would expect.

Agreed. Didn't think he could get his voice up in that zone. Still he sounds like the love child of Mike Reno and Toby Keith.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:16 am

JourneyHard wrote:He sounds pretty good on Lay It Down. Better than I would expect.

I was pleasantly surprised too.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tj » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:26 am

Doesn't matter to me if it is one or seven. If Arnel can't sing them all, don't get a no name backup singer to front your band. It's one thing to have Deen, a full member of the band singing some songs to highlight his voice and give Arnel a break. You need a drummer, so it fits.

It's entirely different to bring in a backup singer, have him play a few keyboards to look like he is up to something, then have him front the band while your lead singer is needing to take a break. We would all be going apeshit if Neal took a break and some kid came in and played his solos.

Go find a "special guest" singer to join the band - someone well known like Rolie, Carlos Santana, Michael Bolton, John Waite, Hagar, etc. - who has some history with the band or members of the band if Arnel needs a break. It would be a good change up from the monotony and maybe give the band some energy.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby hgwy407 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:10 am

Who is singing the counter-vocal/background lines on Lay It Down? No one is near a mic. Sure doesn't sound like Arnel.
hgwy407
Radio Waves

Postby ADALBL » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:11 am

Was wondering the same thing about background vocals in Lay it Down. Sure seems like pre-recorded background tracks to me...
ADALBL
Radio Waves

Postby scarab » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:42 am

backup vocals are too perfect. No way Neal/Cain/Valory could pull that off.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:06 pm

tj wrote:

Doesn't matter to me if it is one or seven. If Arnel can't sing them all, don't get a no name backup singer to front your band. It's one thing to have Deen, a full member of the band singing some songs to highlight his voice and give Arnel a break. You need a drummer, so it fits.

It's entirely different to bring in a backup singer, have him play a few keyboards to look like he is up to something, then have him front the band while your lead singer is needing to take a break. We would all be going apeshit if Neal took a break and some kid came in and played his solos.

Go find a "special guest" singer to join the band - someone well known like Rolie, Carlos Santana, Michael Bolton, John Waite, Hagar, etc. - who has some history with the band or members of the band if Arnel needs a break. It would be a good change up from the monotony and maybe give the band some energy.

I agree. Travis is a talented guy, but he doesn't quite pull off the material. Just seems odd.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby YoungJRNYfan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:07 am

Well, this is weird. Where did they find this dude? Meh.

Cool name, though.
YoungJRNYfan
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:20 am

YoungJRNYfan wrote:Well, this is weird. Where did they find this dude? Meh.

Cool name, though.

Cain knew him from Nashville. Not sure if they actually auditioned anybody.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby annie89509 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:07 pm

The_Noble_Cause wrote:He still sounds more suited for Rascal Flatts than Journey. On their current Asian tour, Travis is singing nearly half the set and Neal is engaging in more and more extended solos. I think the dirty dozen meat grinder is getting to Arnel personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGxnwo0q4-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1qA8Qj_s-M

WTH!!!!???? Who is this guy? I love the song, ATF. If it's not SP ... I can take Deen, or Arnel. This guy sounds nothing like SP ...
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby Ehwmatt » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:27 am

Wow. This is getting ridiculous. If Arnel can't do the songs, then don't do them. Just embarrassing. And what a weird vibe to have this guy buried in the back of the stage on "rhythm keys" singing, even if he sounded fit for the material.
Ehwmatt
MP3

Postby Memorex » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:29 am

This whole thing would have been avoided if Journey went in a different direction after booting Perry. Of course Van Halen is the best example of this. Then you could have a guy not trying to sing these extremely difficult songs and would not have based the entire rest of your existence on the need to do so. But whatever.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:40 am

I know I sound like a broken record, but bring back Steve Augeri. Then Arnel can sing ten songs and Steve can sing ten songs, and both can keep their vocals in good shape.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:05 am

JourneyHard wrote:I know I sound like a broken record, but bring back Steve Augeri. Then Arnel can sing ten songs and Steve can sing ten songs, and both can keep their vocals in good shape.

Survivor had started doing that with Jimi Jamison and Dave Bickler until Jimi died. It was going great, neither singer had to over-do it, and it was great to hear both guys in the same show.

I'd love it if they were to bring Augeri back to share the lead vocals with Pineda. But I doubt that it will happen.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:26 am

Memorex wrote:This whole thing would have been avoided if Journey went in a different direction after booting Perry. Of course Van Halen is the best example of this. Then you could have a guy not trying to sing these extremely difficult songs and would not have based the entire rest of your existence on the need to do so. But whatever.

Yea but who? Many of the replacement candidates usually mentioned (Chalfant, Hugo, Mickey Thomas) sound like Perry. Cain/Schon produced Michael Bolton's The Hunger. He could have taken the band in a somewhat diff. direction.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:27 am

Ehwmatt wrote:Wow. This is getting ridiculous. If Arnel can't do the songs, then don't do them. Just embarrassing. And what a weird vibe to have this guy buried in the back of the stage on "rhythm keys" singing, even if he sounded fit for the material.

It was one thing to have Deen do it. But Travis should be limited to one song at most. He can't seal the deal. It's not Journey.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Gideon » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:06 am

Travis sounds good, but because of his lack of involvement with the rest of the material, it's not as credible as when Deen sang a few songs.

Arnel noticeably struggles at points, but it's testament to how mighty his pipes are that he's able to still sound this good at 50. Pretty impressed.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby SF-Dano » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:45 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
Memorex wrote:This whole thing would have been avoided if Journey went in a different direction after booting Perry. Of course Van Halen is the best example of this. Then you could have a guy not trying to sing these extremely difficult songs and would not have based the entire rest of your existence on the need to do so. But whatever.

Yea but who? Many of the replacement candidates usually mentioned (Chalfant, Hugo, Mickey Thomas) sound like Perry. Cain/Schon produced Michael Bolton's The Hunger. He could have taken the band in a somewhat diff. direction.

I remember at the time Geoff Tate was briefly considered. Would it have been good, I don't know. It would have been a different direction though. I believe Eric Martin was also brought up around that time too.
SF-Dano
Cassette Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:24 am

SF-Dano wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

I remember at the time Geoff Tate was briefly considered. Would it have been good, I don't know. It would have been a different direction though. I believe Eric Martin was also brought up around that time too.

Yes. Tate wrote Walking Away from the Edge with the band (tho he's not credited on Red 13 liner notes). Neal said he was not a good fit for the classic material. I think in his Queensryche prime he would have kicked ass.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Journey