Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey of a lifetime

Postby tater1977 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:29 am

Journey of a lifetime

By Elena Koshy - 19 February 2017 @ 2:11 PM

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2017/02/2137 ... y-lifetime

The rock band scorched the night with its hits, writes Elena Koshy

IF you’ve not heard of the iconic band Journey or its music which defined the big rock and roll sound of the late 1970s and ‘80s, chances are you’ve been living under a rock.

Its music has transcended time and space, and somehow seeped into our consciousness almost without us realising it. With a myriad of bands and singers covering cultural anthem Don’t Stop Believin’ and even slow sizzlers such as Open Arms, there’s a high possibility that you’ve stumbled upon the band’s music at one time or another. That’s the beauty of the band that has stood the test of time and emerged triumphant despite numerous inevitable shuffles and change in members since its formation in 1973.

With 19 Top 40 singles, 25 Gold and Platinum albums and its Greatest Hits album certified 15 times Platinum, it’s unsurprising that Journey will be soon inducted into Rock & Rolls’ Hall of Fame this April even as it is still in the business of rocking the world and making sure its fans never stop believin’, 44 years on.

Starting in Singapore on Feb 10, Journey’s second stop of its Asian Tour was at Shah Alam’s Melawati stadium. There were no screaming fans but a generally older and sedate crowd, with some younger fans on the periphery (perhaps those who have discovered Journey’s music through popular American comedy-drama series Glee).

Trying to blend in with the sedate crowd — I’m in the awkward dilemma of being older than the band but younger than the band members — I failed miserably. I initially wondered if I’d be close enough to throw myself or my underwear (ok maybe not) at the band whose songs I’d grown up with and know by heart.

Thankfully, there were no more sedate people in the house, only diehard fans, who cheered frantically as the lights dimmed and the band walked onto the stage. The familiar opening synthesiser riffs of Separate Ways filled the air and I knew we’d be in for an unforgettable night.

As vocal powerhouse Arnel Pineda wailed the familiar chorus “Someday love will find you, break those chains that bind you”, my reservation of the latest addition to the band was dispelled. Pineda is the band’s sixth singer since its formation, and third since the iconic Steve Perry, who covered most of Journey’s charttoppers.

He didn’t sound like Perry but it’s evident that the youthful frontliner had an impressive set of pipes on him. It’s hard to fit into the huge shoes that Perry, known as The Voice and included in Rolling Stone Magazine’s 100 Greatest Singers of All Times, left behind but Pineda’s talent is undeniable.

After all, the Filipino singer was discovered on YouTube by Neil Schon, one of the founding fathers of Journey and lead guitarist, almost 10 years ago and the rest, as they say, was history. He has since drawn huge praise and gained the respect of once sceptical fans (especially Perry diehards) with his ability to handle songs originally sung by Perry, in his own inimitable style and hugely impressive vocal range.

Pineda certainly didn’t disappoint that night. He leapt into the air like an energetic 15-year-old, sang notes that defied gravity and darted all around the stage to the amusement of his older band members, all without missing a vocal beat. It’s hard to imagine that the boyish singer turns 50 in September.

It’s never a true Journey concert without Neil Schon’s masterful guitar shredding. The night saw him injecting almost every song with fiery solos that captivated both in sound and showmanship. It’s clear the Schon was the true master of the stage, even overshadowing frontliner Pineda and his big voice at times.

The former Santana bandmember and co-founder of Journey displayed dazzling guitar pyrotechnics, which punctuated most songs, especially staples like Stone In Love, Anyway You Want It and Wheel In The Sky, where the extended riffs dazzled audiences and set his position firmly as the undisputed (yet oft times underrated) master of lead guitar. He’s been the one constant in Journey from its humble beginnings and through all the changes that inevitably changed the dynamics of the band, Schon’s guitar playing never seems to run out of steam. After all these years, it’s amazing to watch him letting it rip.

The true mark of a successful act like Journey is that it has been consistent in making great music and they give their fans exactly what they came for. Never mind how old you are — with stalwarts like Jonathan Caine, whose biggest contribution to the band was the classic Journey ballad Faithfully behind the keyboards, Berklee College of Music alumni Steve Smith behind the drums (also voted one of the top 25 drummers of all times by Modern Drummer magazine in 2001), along with bassist/co-founder Ross Valory — their seamless act would easily get feet tapping and hands up in the air swaying in time to the music.

Throughout the almost 90-minute concert, Schon and his band mates demonstrated yet again why Journey has sold close to 90 million records globally since its eponymous debut album in 1975.

Everyone present had their “favourite” song that they couldn’t wait to hear, and the band tore through all the anticipated tracks, which included Open Arms, Faithfully, Don’t Stop Believing and its finale number Lovin’, Touchin’ Squeezin.

I screamed myself hoarse, waved my lit mobile in the air to the music of Lights, had my jaw drop to the floor at Pineda’s vocal prowess, all the while in a surreal place, of suspended belief at the thought of having finally seen the band I’d only known through its music over half of my life.

I was too far though, to throw myself or parts of my clothes, at the band but it’s clear I wasn’t the only one who was listening to its songs and having the feeling that I’m meeting old friends whom I’d grown to love over the years.

People weren’t here just for the great music but also for the memories the band’s music created.

And that probably sits just fine with the band. It doesn’t matter what the critics say.

It has powered on for more than four decades and the concert proved the fact that it will continue to have fans over here who’ll stay by it through the years, faithfully.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Journey of a lifetime

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:25 am

"The former Santana band member and co-founder of Journey displayed dazzling guitar pyrotechnics, which punctuated most songs, especially staples like Stone In Love, Anyway You Want It and Wheel In The Sky, where the extended riffs dazzled audiences and set his position firmly as the undisputed (yet oft times underrated) master of lead guitar.[/quote]

It's great to see someone who knows what they're talking about. Even though they did misspell Neal's first name.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Re: Journey of a lifetime

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:08 am

Journey/Survivor wrote:"The former Santana band member and co-founder of Journey displayed dazzling guitar pyrotechnics, which punctuated most songs, especially staples like Stone In Love, Anyway You Want It and Wheel In The Sky, where the extended riffs dazzled audiences and set his position firmly as the undisputed (yet oft times underrated) master of lead guitar.

It's great to see someone who knows what they're talking about. Even though they did misspell Neal's first name.[/quote]

And Jonathan's last name. Oh well, obviously a big fan regardless.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Return to Journey