"Next" turns 40!

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

"Next" turns 40!

Postby HydraRed » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Just saw Neal retweet something about it and got me thinking:

Next is such an important album. Gregg was the only voice in the first two albums, and Neal ain't too bad of a singer. "Karma" kicks ass, especially in some of those live shows. It's the end of that "era" of Journey, although personally, I can see them beginning the transition, especially if you listen to "Please Let Me Stay" (or Velvet Curtain, whatever you'd like to call it), and some of the Fleischmann-sung tunes, "Diva" and "For You". Whether Perry had joined or not, the group was changing, or else they were getting the boot by Columbia.

So what are some of your thoughts on the album? The change from progressive to pop?

PS: I felt like such a child writing this..Next is 20 years older than me! :oops:
HydraRed
Radio Waves

Re: "Next" turns 40!

Postby Journey/Survivor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:23 pm

HydraRed wrote:Just saw Neal retweet something about it and got me thinking:

Next is such an important album. Gregg was the only voice in the first two albums, and Neal ain't too bad of a singer. "Karma" kicks ass, especially in some of those live shows. It's the end of that "era" of Journey, although personally, I can see them beginning the transition, especially if you listen to "Please Let Me Stay" (or Velvet Curtain, whatever you'd like to call it), and some of the Fleischmann-sung tunes, "Diva" and "For You". Whether Perry had joined or not, the group was changing, or else they were getting the boot by Columbia.

So what are some of your thoughts on the album? The change from progressive to pop?

PS: I felt like such a child writing this..Next is 20 years older than me! :oops:

I don't really like to compare the first 3 Journey albums with the one since Infinity. They're two different styles. But in its own way, I like the first 3 albums as much as the Perry/Augeri/Pineda albums.

I would love for Schon, Rolie and Smith to record an album together now, and to play that Progressive Rock style. For the record, I do know that Aynsley Dunbar was the drummer on the first 3 albums, as well as Infinity, not Smith.
But I'd love to hear what Schon, Rolie and Smith could come up with if they were to make that style of album.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby scarab » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:04 am

most of Next is okay to very good. You could tell on a couple songs they were after a "hit". Kinda about the same time Kansas was at a time with Masque.

Still I love the title song, would have fit perfectly on Infinity. And Perry's vocals live make this song a masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bmhpCvUFes
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:04 am

Yes. Neal and Gregg and maybe Steve Smith should record the next Journey album. It could be called "Look Into The Past."

I love the first three albums.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:27 am

On second thought, the next Journey album could be called CELEBRATION, and it is a double album. The first CD is Neal, and Gregg and a fusion-rock style of their early days. Then the second CD has Arnel and the current lineup. This would be awesome. Come on, Neal. Make it happen!
JourneyHard
LP

Postby MysteryMountain » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:01 am

Quite possibly my all time favorite from Journey. Love this era more than any other. I like the formula of these songs, shorter/still prog rockers/fusion. While the songs are shortened from the first 2, it's still blended with great spacey lyrics, good openings, and then instrumental jams to the end. The solid 4 piece group of top notch musicians, all experts in their craft Gregg on vocals & keys, Neal on his guitar, Ross on bass, & Aynsley keeping the time, in top form playing to their strengths. I think it's a great blend of Prog-Rock/Fusion, but trying to ease into pop a bit more as a transition album - as mentioned, due to management constraints & the push for hits. It's certainly not a perfect album, there are some lulls, but overall this is a great album from the early Prog Rockers to what would become the Pop Rockers. Shame nothing is played from this album, or any of the first 3, frankly. I'm no music critic, and certainly not a musician, but this is my take:

Spaceman - Not my favorite song on the album at all, kind of falls short as what should be a solid opener on this album, but it does kind of grow on me with each listening. Feels unfinished in some ways. Maybe should have buried it deeper, but can only go up from here.

People - Great song, great lyrics, 'moving like the waves in the sink' 'Peeeeeeople... always need a minute or two to think' - formulaic for this album.

I Would Find You - Neal sings this one, and it's my 2nd favorite on this album with a great mix of lyrics & guitar work, few lyrics, lots of Jam. Similar to the title track as we move in & out of a ballad to a rocker at the end, although more spacey/slower.

Here We Are - my least favorite track, sounds like a Beatles throw away & Gregg way to willing to push & sound like Ringo - more like Spaceman in terms of content/formula

Hustler - hard core guitar/rocker, big vocals, strap in folks Neal shredding & showing off here along with the great rhythm of Aynsley & Ross.

Next - The best song on this track, easily my top 3-5 all time. Wish they'd still do this one. Again, perfect early Journey form. Love the mystery of the lyrics, then that driving jam to the end. I could loop that part for 10 minutes & not get bored. Steve Perry kind of ruined this song when he felt the need to incorporate the cowbell ad-nauseum after he joined & they were still jamming this through the Evolution Tour. I still prefer it over most of their stuff, but man, Steve, LESS COWBELL!

Nickel & Dime - Another solid guitar/instrumental effort. Jazzy, all over the place. What a weird time signature, tough to pull off on a rock album.

Karma - Another great song, Neal gets to show his stuff - dare I say Jimi Hendrix-esque? Neal once again carries the vocals on this one.

Cookie Duster - Wasn't this a throw away from this album/era? I like it, again, very jazz fusion, instrumental - it's on Time3. A buddy met Neal once, and mentioned this song, how much he liked it, and hoped they'd do something similar again. Neal said he absolutely hated it and would never do anything like that again, lol
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Return to Journey