Brief Augeri interview and 2 songs

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Brief Augeri interview and 2 songs

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:21 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN8HuGGSeLo

All things considered, I think he sounds good. It's apparent that he continues to work with a coach and altering his technique to sing this material. He's even been singing some songs differently since he left Journey. On songs like DSB, instead of trying the hit the high note on "in the niiiight" he's changed the lyrics to "hold oooooon." Must be easier to hit.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Re: Brief Augeri interview and 2 songs

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:05 am

Another nice job here. For my money, SA always sang these songs with more soul, feeling, and conviction than Arnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTUo5VJKars
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby FamilyMan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:29 am

I have to disagree with you TNC (welcome back, BTW). I don't think he sounds good in these clips at all. He struggles to hold notes; has no vibrato; and is pitchy even in the lower register. While it's true Augeri was always a more soulful singer, he was better on Arrival's rockers than he was/is on Perry's classic ballads.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby KDOUBLEU » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:59 am

Awful
KDOUBLEU
Cassette Tape

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:47 am

Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby ScarabGator » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:17 am

While the vocal damage certainly took its toll I truly think SA sounds great and loved him in Journey.
ScarabGator
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:07 am

ScarabGator wrote:While the vocal damage certainly took its toll I truly think SA sounds great and loved him in Journey.

I'm with you Scarab. It's obvious to me he is working with a vocal coach & still working on technique to sing the catalog.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:09 am

FamilyMan wrote:I have to disagree with you TNC (welcome back, BTW). I don't think he sounds good in these clips at all. He struggles to hold notes; has no vibrato; and is pitchy even in the lower register. While it's true Augeri was always a more soulful singer, he was better on Arrival's rockers than he was/is on Perry's classic ballads.

Thanks FM. I think many of the issues u mentioned, like pitch, have always been present with SA. All thing considered, I think he sounds good here.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby FamilyMan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:46 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
FamilyMan wrote:I have to disagree with you TNC (welcome back, BTW). I don't think he sounds good in these clips at all. He struggles to hold notes; has no vibrato; and is pitchy even in the lower register. While it's true Augeri was always a more soulful singer, he was better on Arrival's rockers than he was/is on Perry's classic ballads.

Thanks FM. I think many of the issues u mentioned, like pitch, have always been present with SA. All thing considered, I think he sounds good here.

Perhaps. I have a somewhat idealistic memory of Augeri's first tour with the band. Will never forget the Beacon Theater show here in New York and the first few bars of Separate Ways. He killed it, and every other song throughout the set. Unfair to hold him to that standard, I suppose. But its good to see him out there.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby marco17 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:58 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

Agreed, if you scour YT enough you can see enough vids where he sounds good and where he's struggling some. But, certainly due to the vocal damage and age, he's not what he was early on in J, but doing his bet. Not to mention that there aren't all the canned background vocals and such that J and other groups use to beef up their live sound. He puts on a good show, it's always a fun evening... and in the moment, you don't really notice if he's having an off night or struggling with a song on a certain evening.
marco17
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:47 am

Eric wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rSVH6kqIs4

Good interview. Touches upon losing his voice in 2005. That tour should have been cancelled.
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Journey