It's just not gonna happen...

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

It's just not gonna happen...

Postby Tomulator » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:43 pm

Been thinking ALOT lately about what's really up with SP and whether he'll actually SING at the RRHOF induction ceremonies.

I've come to this conclusion...and it hurts to think about.

He can't physically "sing" in the keys necessary for the songs likely to be played that night. I believe he's secretly been working his voice out like mad for the past few months (maybe longer) and realizes this also. He is basically sparing himself the "agony" of having to address the question of whether or not he'll perform with Journey that night by skipping all contact/interviews with the media and by NOT allowing contact with the rest of the band...it is SAD that this is the case!

I get the feeling that he will show up at the HOF induction but, will disappear when the band takes the stage...there is nothing that I've seen or heard that would suggest otherwise.

It's over I'm afraid... :(
"I was merely probing the patient for muscle tone and skeletal girth. We mock what we don't understand."
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Re: It's just not gonna happen...

Postby scarab » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:45 pm

He did fine on Lights with the Eels. It would be awesome if the encore had all the nominees up there playing it.
HBO rating would be off the chart.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Tomulator » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:09 am

The keys on those three shows with the Eels were dropped SIGNIFICANTLY from anything Journey has ever done. Almost unrecognizable...

IMO, he won't do that to himself with Journey. He's too stubborn and prideful when it comes to that band and his legacy. No way will he perform.

But, what I don't understand is WHY won't he at least reach out to the band behind the scenes and explain what's going on with him and why he won't perform with them that night. It would be "therapeutic" for all parties if he'd just "come clean".

8)
"I was merely probing the patient for muscle tone and skeletal girth. We mock what we don't understand."
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:48 am

The band should have taken the same road as he did. Making no comments on a possible reunion. Yes, that was everyone's first question to the band, but saying up front that there would be no comments on that topic until everyone discusses it and a decision is made would have been better. "The door is always open" just leads to endless false hope and unnecessary pressure. Let them work it out behind the scenes, and whatever may be may be.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby Tomulator » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:10 am

Agreed. That would've been preferable.

Perry's a strange dude sometimes...if I were in his circle of friends, I'd be really pushing him to talk bluntly about what ALL this drama in his life has been about for the last 30 years...the fact that he lost his range due to damage to his voice from too much touring. Just come out and talk about it! It would cure all these "head games" he plays with himself and others.

I'm 1 post ahead of you btw... :mrgreen:
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:56 am

the man can still sing, no not at his best, circa 1980.
yes the Journey catalog shreds voices, how Arnel has lasted 10 years is amazing, but so did Steve.
Was lucky enough to hear him live twice in 1994 and he sounded great, no worse then today or the 1986 ROR tour.

He owned the MF song and Only sixteen and did great with Lights. Crazy he sang Open Arms with the Eels, probably the most difficult song in the Journey discography to sing, but it was an awesome tribute to his passed love.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Tomulator » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:15 am

Nobody said he couldn't still sing...just can't sing anywhere close to the same keys that these songs demand.

Agree, MF was stunning...beautiful. Masterful even. The rest was...ok. But, the Journey tunes he did weren't even in the same "area code" as their original keys. I think if he can't get his range up there a bit further, there isn't much that would sound remotely acceptable to HIM. He's not likely to compromise that much just to sing at the RRHOF ceremony.

Just my opinion.

8)
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:07 am

scarab wrote:the man can still sing, no not at his best, circa 1980.
yes the Journey catalog shreds voices, how Arnel has lasted 10 years is amazing, but so did Steve.
Was lucky enough to hear him live twice in 1994 and he sounded great, no worse then today or the 1986 ROR tour.

He owned the MF song and Only sixteen and did great with Lights. Crazy he sang Open Arms with the Eels, probably the most difficult song in the Journey discography to sing, but it was an awesome tribute to his passed love.

Agreed. But it's not really the Journey catalog that shreds voices, it's the Steve Perry template. The vocal arrangements weren't presented to him by the band or a songwriter. He created and tailored them to his capabilities.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:51 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
scarab wrote:the man can still sing, no not at his best, circa 1980.

Agreed. But it's not really the Journey catalog that shreds voices, it's the Steve Perry template. The vocal arrangements weren't presented to him by the band or a songwriter. He created and tailored them to his capabilities.

True enough, he wrote those songs to showcase the voice he had then. Even if he doesn't have that voice now, it doesn't matter to us fans....but it DOES matter to him. He will do nothing to damage the legacy.

As for his relationship with the band, I too wish he could just bring himself to forgive, let go of the resentment, and spend that special night enjoying the honour he, and they, so richly deserve. But it's not looking like he will ever be able to move on, and in the end, that is his choice. All of our hoping and praying will not change the person he is.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby jrny84 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:30 am

perryfan61 wrote:
True enough, he wrote those songs to showcase the voice he had then. Even if he doesn't have that voice now, it doesn't matter to us fans....but it DOES matter to him. He will do nothing to damage the legacy.

As for his relationship with the band, I too wish he could just bring himself to forgive, let go of the resentment, and spend that special night enjoying the honour he, and they, so richly deserve. But it's not looking like he will ever be able to move on, and in the end, that is his choice. All of our hoping and praying will not change the person he is.

I agree.
jrny84
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:04 am

As a fan, I wouldn't even waste the mental energy on this waiting game. If SP shows up, great. If not, too bad. Maybe Neal/Jon will just play some instrumentals.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby RPM » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:39 pm

He could still sing WYLAW wonderfully, and even if thats all he did it would be enough right?
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
8 Track

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:44 pm

RPM wrote:He could still sing WYLAW wonderfully, and even if thats all he did it would be enough right?

That would be more than enough for me!!
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby RPM » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:54 pm

perryfan61 wrote:
RPM wrote:He could still sing WYLAW wonderfully, and even if thats all he did it would be enough right?

That would be more than enough for me!!

Me Too. let him come on last for the final song and nail one of the best ballads they have done :)

A fitting end to a wonderful Journey......
"Remember Suzanne, those summer nights, those summer nights with me"
RPM
8 Track

Postby Pacfanweb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:12 am

Neal himself said "sounds like his voice has come down a bit, but who's hasn't? Nothing we can't adapt for".

So Neal doesn't think it's an issue. Every older singer who performs at the HOF is doing so in a far lower register than the music was originally done in. Don't see it as such a big deal. Perry can still actually SING just fine. Great, even. Just not as high. "High" does not mean "better".
Pacfanweb
45 RPM

Postby DracIsBack » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:33 am

Pacfanweb wrote:Neal himself said "sounds like his voice has come down a bit, but who's hasn't? Nothing we can't adapt for".

So Neal doesn't think it's an issue. Every older singer who performs at the HOF is doing so in a far lower register than the music was originally done in. Don't see it as such a big deal. Perry can still actually SING just fine. Great, even. Just not as high. "High" does not mean "better".

I don't think it's that unusual for the key to be dropped. People age and Perry arguably has the toughest catalog of all.

But yeah, regardless of that, it's exposing what might be a sensitive subject.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby AR » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:05 am

This is why Perry shouldn't do it.

Millennial types raised on American Idol, The Voice and all those other shitbag karaoke shows will not give SP a pass and would light up the internet with critical tweets over any performance that isn't note perfect to what Perry was in his youth.

That's what would happen. Period.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tj » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:16 am

AR wrote:This is why Perry shouldn't do it.

Millennial types raised on American Idol, The Voice and all those other shitbag karaoke shows will not give SP a pass and would light up the internet with critical tweets over any performance that isn't note perfect to what Perry was in his youth.

Not sure how much millenial types would really care. None of my kids or their friends would. They know the hits, because I play them in the car, but couldn't care less about the band.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby fightingilliniJRNY » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:26 am

Pretty sure millennials won't be watching the RRHoF, and wouldn't give two you-know-whats about a Steve Perry performance.
fightingilliniJRNY
Cassette Tape

Postby jrny84 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm a millennial and I would definitely give Steve Perry a pass, especially for a guy who is in his mid 60's. I watched him sing with the Eels and It was thrill to just hear him sing again. You could see and hear the raw emotion and soulfulness in his voice. Honestly, he sounded better to me than I thought he would. Even with his voice being lower and more raspy, he still sings better than 90% of the garbage that's out there. I don't expect a 60 year old Perry to sing like the 30 year old Perry did. Its totally unrealistic expectations for anyone. Whatever Steve decides though, I respect his decision. I'm not in his shoes, so can't speak for what he's going through.

As far as other millennials, who knows, they probably would be very critical of him. Our society in general though is pretty critical and nasty regardless of age and I think Perry knows that.
jrny84
8 Track

Postby Onestepper » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:51 am

It doesn't really matter what key he can sing in or what key he'd feel comfortable with so not to embarrass himself...the guy won't even talk to the band man to man without going through an attorney. Unless they did something to him to really screw him over, on any human level that is pretty messed up. Wanting to continue on with the band and their careers does not justify the amount of Ignorance Perry has shown those guys over the years. Yes it is his call and his life. But that doesn't excuse him from being an adult, and treating people with simple respect. Especially given the number of times NS and the band have tried to communicate with him.

So spare me if I don't feel badly that Perry can't sing in a certain key or he's afraid of what millennials think of his singing. Because it makes no difference if you can't even return a phone call.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Return to Journey