According to Cain... he's coming

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: According to Cain... he's coming

Postby Marabelle » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:30 am

Well HBO, didn't consider THEM! Hey Scary Spice.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:32 am

tater1977 wrote:
Memorex wrote:Steve Perry is being inducted to the ROR HOF for his contributions to Journey and in turn their contribution to music in general. Journey will perform. Steve Perry is no longer in Journey and has not performed with them for decades. As much as I'd love to hear Steve and Neal together, it isn't odd that his not playing the circus monkey and performing tricks for the crowd's delight.

Personally, I bet he doesn't give two shits about it. The ROR HOF is not the high honor it should be. It is a political body that often fails to consider the actual Rock and Roll. It's neither the worst of things or the best. And for me, it is not some end all be all where dreams must come true. Of course any fan would love to see it. Duh. But worse than not performing is performing just to placate others. Where is the soul in that?

If I was in his shoes, the first time I heard someone say I owe them, I'd say no thanks and walk away. It's a silly notion.

Also, I said it before. If Steve ever was to decide to a reunion, why in the world would he do it for free? You stage it and put one hell of a pretty penny in your pocket. Not just give a bunch of money to HBO.

+ 1

+2
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:43 am

Marabelle wrote:Geez oh Pete, everything isn't about money! And besides he made some nice coin selling his 30 year old Jeep that he won't miss the money if he doesn't get paid to sing. It seems everything is about money as if we can't speak a word without considering the worth of each pause and nuance or clever murmur... and God forbid he sings a note or two because there would have to be contracts and middlemen to figure out how much a note is worth and if singing a line or two of Don't Stop Believing is worth more than a few lines of Easy to Fall or another song. Just get on the stage, smile for the camera, sing or don't sing and have some kind of freaking fun with all those musicians and singers. It's not rocket science. Well it shouldn't be rocket science. I will be glad when all of this hubbub is over because it's getting too morose and depressing and too much thought about obligation and finances. I think it's about seeing everybody maybe you haven't seen in years or who is still alive and who is still with which wife and thanking all the fans for being there and loving their music. And so much more. This makes my head spin. Uuuugh.

All proceeds will go to charity, for his old jeep.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:05 pm

Marabelle wrote:Geez oh Pete, everything isn't about money! And besides he made some nice coin selling his 30 year old Jeep that he won't miss the money if he doesn't get paid to sing. It seems everything is about money as if we can't speak a word without considering the worth of each pause and nuance or clever murmur... and God forbid he sings a note or two because there would have to be contracts and middlemen to figure out how much a note is worth and if singing a line or two of Don't Stop Believing is worth more than a few lines of Easy to Fall or another song. Just get on the stage, smile for the camera, sing or don't sing and have some kind of freaking fun with all those musicians and singers. It's not rocket science. Well it shouldn't be rocket science. I will be glad when all of this hubbub is over because it's getting too morose and depressing and too much thought about obligation and finances. I think it's about seeing everybody maybe you haven't seen in years or who is still alive and who is still with which wife and thanking all the fans for being there and loving their music. And so much more. This makes my head spin. Uuuugh.

Um, because it's an asset that he worked long and hard to create value for. Because if he chooses to make money, it's one of the ways to do so. You make money, I assume. I make money. No one shits on us for that. All I am saying is people are making this ROR HOF thing to be something it's not. And for all the things you said, that's your feeling about Journey and Steve. But I assume he has his own feelings and can likely decide for himself what is right or wrong for what he wants. Like we all do.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby Marabelle » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:59 pm

I don't know..right or wrong? I would think that at a certain time in life events circumstances and occasions are determined worthy based on something going off in your head that says you know what...it would be a cool thing to do not how much money could I get for that appearance. For me personally who has nothing to do with anything associated with any of it, some times you just do it because it would be a great thing to do. Maybe you do it because of the fans and maybe that is enough. Because sometimes there is literally not enough money to make you do anything.
Marabelle
Cassette Tape

Postby tater1977 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:51 pm

e.JPG
e.JPG (38.72 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

https://twitter.com/NealSchonMusic/stat ... 8522266624
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:42 am

Smith happy to be on ‘Journey’ with band

Posted on March 31, 2017 by Xenia Gazette
By Scott Halasz

- read full article
http://xeniagazette.com/news/17116/smit ... -with-band

Steve Perry, who was the front man on so many Journey hits will be in attendance, Smith said. But it’s unclear if he will sing. Regardless, the band is more than content with Pineda, who “really adds a whole new dimension to the band.”
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:12 am

tater1977 wrote:Smith happy to be on ‘Journey’ with band

Posted on March 31, 2017 by Xenia Gazette
By Scott Halasz

- read full article
http://xeniagazette.com/news/17116/smit ... -with-band

Steve Perry, who was the front man on so many Journey hits will be in attendance, Smith said. But it’s unclear if he will sing. Regardless, the band is more than content with Pineda, who “really adds a whole new dimension to the band.”

Thanks for posting. Smitty is the superior drummer, but Deen's voice was magic. Should have been part of regular sets starting in 1998.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby Tomulator » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:46 am

There is only ONE SP.

He is the one the FANS overwhelmingly want to see/hear, NOT AP. Sorry.

Smitty and company can spin this any way they wish...when people think of Journey, they think of Perry.

Now, as for the average (or not so average) fan like me...I liken this whole ordeal to the movie "Vacation" with Chevy Chase. We (fans) have all "driven across the country with the family...smelly socks and all" to "Wally World" (aka RRHOF Performance). We get there, and it's fricken CLOSED (I.e., SP will show but...not perform)!!!

This is no longer a simple "want"...it's a QUEST...a quest for Perry to perform one last time on a couple of songs with the band HE is associated with and who are associated with him!

MAKE IT HAPPEN.

That is all...

8)
"I was merely probing the patient for muscle tone and skeletal girth. We mock what we don't understand."
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:03 am

Doesn't really sound like it's fine with him at all. No wonder SP is not going to sing, I'm surprised he even agreed to show up.
Neal needs to stay off Twitter for awhile :roll: :roll:
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:49 am

Tomulator wrote:There is only ONE SP.

He is the one the FANS overwhelmingly want to see/hear, NOT AP. Sorry.

Smitty and company can spin this any way they wish...when people think of Journey, they think of Perry.

Now, as for the average (or not so average) fan like me...I liken this whole ordeal to the movie "Vacation" with Chevy Chase. We (fans) have all "driven across the country with the family...smelly socks and all" to "Wally World" (aka RRHOF Performance). We get there, and it's fricken CLOSED (I.e., SP will show but...not perform)!!!

This is no longer a simple "want"...it's a QUEST...a quest for Perry to perform one last time on a couple of songs with the band HE is associated with and who are associated with him!

MAKE IT HAPPEN.

That is all...

8)

Neal has been trying to get in touch with SP since the induction was announced. According to Neal, he hasn't heard back. Not the first time the band had to play with a fill-in at a ceremony cuz SP wouldn't. They did it with KC and Bolton on 2 separate occasions. Now its too late and I doubt the band and Perry are just going to play cold without any rehearsal beforehand. Can't blame Neal for trying.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby nylady » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:45 am

I love Neal when he’s playing his guitar. When he gives interview or responds on social media..not so much. It just comes across as snark. Whatever happened between him and Perry, the fact remains that the band is getting this recognition because of the catalog of music created when they were together. It’s that catalog that has allowed today’s Journey to continue to tour. If SP doesn’t show, Neal will get all the attention. If Steve does show, the spotlight will be on him. Neal’s reactions to me come across as resentful of the attention that SP gets and that’s a darn shame. I really hope that Perry will be there for the induction. He certainly deserves to be, he’s earned that.
As for me, as a fan, I don’t think he owes it to anyone to sing with the band, but I owe him a huge “Thank You” for what he accomplished during his time with them. He’s given me thousands of happy hours listening to, and watching his performances through the years. For that, I’m grateful.
nylady
Radio Waves

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:54 am

nylady wrote:I love Neal when he’s playing his guitar. When he gives interview or responds on social media..not so much. It just comes across as snark. Whatever happened between him and Perry, the fact remains that the band is getting this recognition because of the catalog of music created when they were together. It’s that catalog that has allowed today’s Journey to continue to tour. If SP doesn’t show, Neal will get all the attention. If Steve does show, the spotlight will be on him. Neal’s reactions to me come across as resentful of the attention that SP gets and that’s a darn shame. I really hope that Perry will be there for the induction. He certainly deserves to be, he’s earned that.
As for me, as a fan, I don’t think he owes it to anyone to sing with the band, but I owe him a huge “Thank You” for what he accomplished during his time with them. He’s given me thousands of happy hours listening to, and watching his performances through the years. For that, I’m grateful.

My feelings exactly!!
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby Tomulator » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:37 am

Nah...he needs to get up there and sing!

Not only for the fans but, also to "kill" some of the demons he's been carrying around
for so long...

Time to DO IT.
"I was merely probing the patient for muscle tone and skeletal girth. We mock what we don't understand."
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby ebake02 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:45 am

SP needs to swallow his pride and walk his ass on that stage and sing, even if it's only 1 verse. This is just ridiculous at this point. :roll: :roll:
Penn Staters across the globe should feel no shame in saying "We are…Penn State." - Joe Paterno
ebake02
Stereo LP

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:15 am

This Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame is always a mess! I predict The RORHF doesn't allow Arnel to perform. This will make Neal and the rest of the band angry, and they will refuse to perform if Arnel cannot perform. Thus, it will result in Steve Perry singing a couple Journey songs by himself on stage! The exact thing nobody expected!
JourneyHard
LP

Postby scarab » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:37 am

they let (I assume Scheff) sing 25 or 6 to 4.
If Neal is being legit, and he just found out yesterday Perry will show, and then quickly bail,
Arnel will sing.

Its sad they cant do a Rolie song, Feeling that way, Anytime, or Just the Same way.
But Since the HOF rules the day, and HBO wants the ratings, they will not.

Still, hoping Perry and Rolie and Dunbar gets up on stage and perform Lights.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby annie89509 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Well, here’s my $.02 -- Whether SP shows up or not, whether he sings or not … as his faithful fans, we love him no matter what. If he doesn’t feel his voice is up to singing, he shouldn’t. Did you read all the y/t critiques on his Eel performances? For Perryfans, it was goosebump city. For the negative nincompoops, it was crude fodder for their thoughts. I don’t ever want to read nasty comments about Steve.

Frankly, I wouldn’t mind it one bit if he pulled a Peter Cetera. As y’all keep saying for years … the RnRHOF is sh*t … some of the inductee choices … they are irrelevant in the overall scheme of things.

For me, it’ll only be worth watching if there is a REAL band reunion. What’s the point of subjecting ourselves to awkward, fake smiles? And, are we really better off seeing SP go up on stage by himself, say the prerequisite thank you’s, walk off, knowing full well it must be killing him to have another guy sing the songs he made famous, on the day he and the band he made famous is being honored?

Nope, I’ll pass.
annie89509
Stereo LP

Postby Tomulator » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:28 pm

Annie...there's a simple solution for Perry then.

Time to put on the "big lead singer's pants", get in touch with the band, tell them to drop the keys of the songs a bit (not too much) so that he can attempt to sing them decently, and GET ON WITH IT.

It's only singing 2-3 songs that he's sung ad nauseum much of his adult life. He'll remember how to do it...heck, even come in to town the day before and rehearse them with the band if that helps...either way...take one for the team!

I personally have been on this forum for a DECADE now, waiting patiently for SP and Journey to mend the fences (I must be crazy)...now, at the ultimate setting to do so (RRHOF), SP is being a recluse about things and making it seem like it's impossible to simply get up there and sing a couple of damn songs! Hey Perry...remember us? Your FANS???

It's time. It's really TIME!

P.S. The band, for their part, ought to be working the 2-3 songs up in lower keys...just in case SP decides he'll sing that night. Furthermore, they should TELL SP that they've worked them out that way. Make him feel comfortable with the idea...
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby perryfan61 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:59 am

Annie makes some valid points. I personally don't think it has anything to do with his voice....the man can still sing better than anyone else out there. No, he doesn't have the voice he once did, but he can still get the job done.

I think he has vowed to himself that he will never sing with the band again, and he's not going to change his mind about that. I remember an interview a few years ago, when he was asked directly if he would sing with them if they ever got inducted into the HOF. The look on his face said it all....there was no way that was ever going to happen.

I have no doubt that he's thankful to all his loyal fans, but there is a line he is not willing to cross....and at the end of the day, he has to live with himself, not with his fans. I have no problem with that. Sure, I would love to see him singing with the guys, but not if it means he has to go against everything he believes.

I will still be a fan, no matter what happens on this one night.
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:08 pm

e.JPG
e.JPG (34.93 KiB) Viewed 917 times
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:29 pm

tater1977 wrote:
e.JPG

This should once and for all (But it still won't) put to rest any talk of Steve Perry rejoining Journey, even if it's just for a short time period like on a small tour.

Perry is officially saying that he is either unable to perform with Journey again, or he's unwilling to under any circumstance. He's in his late 60's and this would have been just one to maybe 3 songs that he would have been performing. He's done.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:39 pm

e.JPG
e.JPG (42.57 KiB) Viewed 911 times
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:44 pm

e.JPG
e.JPG (37.42 KiB) Viewed 906 times

Now that's bullchit. HOF should let Gregg sing it. :?
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:38 pm

e.JPG
e.JPG (34.03 KiB) Viewed 894 times
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:58 pm

e.JPG
e.JPG (28.95 KiB) Viewed 891 times
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:05 am

So I just went back and re-read Andrew's interview with Steve from 2011. Of any interviews out there, this one definitely puts into perspective who Steve is as a person and an artist, and his feelings on the band. We all know that certain life events have happened since. Revisiting this article helps justify why he may (or may not) choose to accept the award and perform with the band and move on. And I'm cool with it.

Whatever opinions or assumptions we all come up with, the bottom line is we should just be happy for the band and celebrate their music.

http://melodicrock.com/articles/intervi ... -interview
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby DracIsBack » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:01 am

JourneyHard wrote:This Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame is always a mess! I predict The RORHF doesn't allow Arnel to perform. This will make Neal and the rest of the band angry, and they will refuse to perform if Arnel cannot perform. Thus, it will result in Steve Perry singing a couple Journey songs by himself on stage! The exact thing nobody expected!

The band has as much say in who performs. One of my big gripes about the mess that was Chicago's induction last year but that the band was trying to give preference to the current line-up over everyone else.

Danny Seraphine was asked to "sit out" two of the songs they performed so Tris Imboden could play ... even though Danny was inducted and Tris was not.

Even though it was a once in a lifetime even to perform with Peter Cetera again, the band refused to drop the key on 25 or 6 to 4; and then also refused to go along with an alternate song choice that was more comfortable to sing.

The band refused to invite Bill Champlin despite 28 years of service but had Jason Scheff; Refused to invite Donnie Dacus (who went anyway) on stage or thank him citing 'not enough tenure', yet had Walfredo Reyes Jr who had only been with the band since like 2012 on stage. Walredo also was on stage while Laudir De Oliveira (who performed on number one albums, played with Terry Kath) was not thanked or invited on stage either.

These things are political and mean.

In honesty though, Journey has handled it a lot better than Chicago did.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:52 am

Steve Perry To Rejoin Journey For Rock ‘N Roll Hall Of Fame Induction

By Steve Wiley April 3, 2017
http://999ktdy.com/steve-perry-to-rejoi ... induction/

Steve Perry hasn’t performed with Journey in 20 years. By most accounts, the 1997 split wasn’t an amicable one. VH-1’s “Behind the Music” portrayed his time with the band as fraught with tension & ego conflicts. Society of Rock reports, the long estranged former frontman will join his former bandmates fro Friday’s induction into the Rock ‘n Roll Hall of Fame. A rumored 2013 40th anniversary reunion never materialized. Keyboardist Jonathan Cain told the Dayton daily News he was excited at the prospect of seeing Perry again after all these years. That caught me by surprise. I interviewed Jonathan 5 years ago. He bristled when I alluded to Steve, without mentioning him by name. Maybe time does heal all wounds. On the other hand, maybe not. Steve isn’t expected to perform with the band.

Steve Chats With Jonathan Cain Of Journey

By Steve Wiley August 16, 2012
http://999ktdy.com/steve-chats-with-jon ... f-journey/

The biggest rock show of the year is just days away. Journey, Pat Benatar and Loverboy appear at the Cajundome August 28th. I had the opportunity to chat with Journey’s longtime keyboardist Jonathan Cain. We discussed his own work as a songwriter, producer, as well as Journey’s “second wind”.

To hear the interview, click the player below.

http://999ktdy.com/steve-chats-with-jon ... f-journey/
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:25 am

He says about SP.... " He's retired, that guy". Definitely retired from Journey, that's for sure.
perryfan61
8 Track

PreviousNext

Return to Journey