According to Cain... he's coming

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Re: According to Cain... he's coming

Postby brywool » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:23 pm

If it doesn't happen at the induction, it NEVER will. Steve should sing something. He owes nobody but himself. The guy gave everything he had to that band until he wasn't up to it any longer or (insert whichever story you believe). Still, for those that've waited forever, it'd be nice to hear.
They SHOULD've let the band do "Just the Same Way". Steve could just come out and sing his parts with Greg and then leave. The crowd would be stunned as he walked off stage AND it would bring things full circle. I don't think Steve could do Believin' or Separate Ways. Those songs are tough songs and at his age and without keeping his pipes in shape (who knows if he is or not) then he stands to lose face if he can't pull them off. This isn't 'any' singer. This is Steve Friggin' Perry and if he goes up there and can't deliver, well, that's gotta be a lotta pressure. That friggin B in Don't Stop Believin' has been my arch nemesis forever. ;)
Let him come and enjoy himself, but man... it'd be nice to hear him with these guys again. Imagine the pressure that he's feeling right now. Yikes. Also, if Arnel were to do it... imagine the pressure he'd feel. It's a rough situation all around. Personally, I'm bummed that it's Light's, DSB, and SW. I also think it's crap that the RRHOF picks the songs. I also wish that Neal could be a little more gracious about all of it (don't publicly blast management or Jon or Steve), but they're all gonna do what they're gonna do. It doesn't seem like they're going into this with good vibes. Hopefully, that's the wrong perception.

Someone mention Danny Sarafiene (sp)- man, personally, I just cringed when he spoke. Some of the band's kids were there and it just came off terribly. Having said that, he played well.

As for last year's show, Cheap Trick mopped the stage with everybody. As it should be IMHO. ;)
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:17 pm

One way to figure out if SP shows or not ... planting our butts in our seats and just
enjoying the ceremony. Getting to see some of our fav bands and music we grew up with ...
just enjoy the event. Headed East for NY , anyone else headed that way safe travels
and lets just enjoy the music and friends. Later all.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:46 pm

tater1977 wrote:One way to figure out if SP shows or not ... planting our butts in our seats and just
enjoying the ceremony. Getting to see some of our fav bands and music we grew up with ...
just enjoy the event. Headed East for NY , anyone else headed that way safe travels
and lets just enjoy the music and friends. Later all.

Lucky you!! Enjoy the show, no one is a bigger fan than you. You deserve to have a fantastic time.....and then you can tell us all about it. Can't wait to hear your report!!
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby chynablue » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:03 am

I'll be there as well. If anyone wants to get together, let me know. :)
chynablue
45 RPM

Postby MotherCitay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:23 am

And Steve will thank Herbie .... as he did at the HWOF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbjs1q6NJKw
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby Greg » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:39 am

Wow, I haven't posted here in years! Guess the Hall of Fame thing is bringing all the old crew out.

Glad Perry is at least going to be present, but this is turning out exactly the way I expected it. No Perry performance, just the basic show up, accept award, leave. Doubt he'll even hang around to watch the band perform.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:14 am

Perry doesn't owe the fans anything? What are the fans? Chopped liver?

Perry owes it to himself to perform. If he doesn't, he will regret it for the rest of his life.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Onestepper » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:20 am

JourneyHard wrote:Perry doesn't owe the fans anything? What are the fans? Chopped liver?

Perry owes it to himself to perform. If he doesn't, he will regret it for the rest of his life.

I doubt anyone has the right to tell Perry what he will or won't regret, or what he owes anyone else. The guy has proven for decades that he beats to his own drum. From all indications he doesn't seem to give a rats *ss about what others think about his actions.
Onestepper
Cassette Tape

Postby DracIsBack » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:43 am

MotherCitay wrote:And Steve will thank Herbie .... as he did at the HWOF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbjs1q6NJKw

That will put him one up on Robert Lamm, James Pankow, Walt Parazaider and Lee Loughnane. All those guys 'forgot' to thank anyone who helped get them where they were ... old managers, producers, songwriting partners, former members who'd come and gone who helped them have a career.

Most selfish thing I'd ever seen in my life.
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby Foolish Heart » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:36 am

When I first heard Journey was finally nominated, I thought this was it. What we have all been waiting for.......he has to come back and sing......not just for the faithful fans that have been patient beyond belief.....but also for himself. He sang with the Eels and sounded just fine. It's only three songs....ok we'd be happy with even one song. Surely that's not too much to ask or wish for.

But then after the one sentence statement issued by Steve, well I know my heart sank a little......no, a lot. As I'm sure most of yours all did too. Not the first time my heart sank.....he isn't going to sing...

I used to post a long time ago - there were so many of us, on so many SP boards - Scary Girl, Marabelle, Mariet, - we lived, breathed, talked, laughed, surmised, lamented everything Steve Perry. For so long....but how long can you do that while you sit and wait and sit and wait for something that hasn't and most likely won't ever happen. I think when Deano died, for those of you who remember him, everything just kind of went away. And maybe some of us got tired of hearing about new music in the works and the hopes of hearing something, anything, from him.

So as I sit here reflecting about Steve, Journey and the induction tomorrow, I still cling to the tiniest of beliefs that maybe he will sing one song - that a song has been planned all along....my heart says yes, my head says no way.

I wish he could find it in his heart to consider doing one song, one more time......
Foolish Heart
45 RPM

Postby scarab » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:14 am

he can sing lights just fine, and if he really has been in and out of the studio for a couple years, even better. And how much better that would be with Schon, Rolie, and Dunbar's backing. Its his song, with Schon. Will be bittersweet to hear it w/o him and with Rolie and Dunbar.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:49 am

JourneyHard wrote:Perry doesn't owe the fans anything? What are the fans? Chopped liver?

I don't really agree with the opinion that Perry doesn't owe the fans anything. According to many websites on the internet Perry is worth anywhere from $45 Million to $115 Million. Without the fans he might have spent his whole life building chicken cages or whatever it was that he was doing before his music career started to take off. So, to an extent, I do feel that he does owe his fans a lot.

Whether or not he is obligated to perform at the R&RHOF induction ceremony is a matter of opinion either way. I am disappointed that he's not going to perform, and would think that he would have taken the fans into consideration. It would have been nice if he had chosen to put his fans ahead of his ego.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby yogi » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:02 am

If the groundhog saw his shadow this year then Steve will be singing.

Did he see his shadow??
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Greg » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:07 am

Like I said, this is exactly what I expected from Steve Perry. The very least he can do - which is showing up. Other than that, we will never hear from Steve Perry again - outside of an annual birthday message. Love the guy's talent, love his voice. But, he is done. Like any true performer, he always wants to leave you wanting more. That's why you hear about 50 new songs he's been working on, or getting out and performing, or even two night teasers with the Eels. Just enough to keep you guessing and having that little glimmer of hope that he'll perform again, either solo or with Journey.

I think we will finally be able to put to bed, after this weekend, any notion of hearing from Steve Perry professionally again. My negativity is more or less, a defense mechanism against any foolish thought he'd release new material, tour behind it, or even collaborate with Journey. This is one thing I would proudly like to say I'm dead wrong about, and I would accept that. Maybe he fools us all, gets up there and performs with the band. Maybe he releases his new album next week while Steve Perry is fresh in the minds of music listeners. And maybe he decides he's going to string together a little mini tour with a solo band, or a guest appearance with Journey here and there. But, why would any of us, who are sane, even remotely entertain those thoughts?

Just will say, my hat's off to Steve Augeri, Jeff Scott Soto, and Arnel Pindea for keeping the Wheel in the Sky turning for this band. Without those guys, Journey would have died after Trial By Fire.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby DracIsBack » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:07 am

JourneyHard wrote:This Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame is always a mess! I predict The RORHF doesn't allow Arnel to perform. This will make Neal and the rest of the band angry, and they will refuse to perform if Arnel cannot perform. Thus, it will result in Steve Perry singing a couple Journey songs by himself on stage! The exact thing nobody expected!

The band has a say in who can perform. Trust me.

How do you think Chicago was able to have five guys on stage performing who didn't play a friggen note on any of the records of the songs they performed during their induction? (Howland, Scheff, Reyes, Pardini, Imbodin)
DracIsBack
8 Track

Postby MotherCitay » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:50 am

Steve does Lights ..

Arnel does Separate Ways ..

They both perform DSB ... or it could be the grand finale song !

I could be wrong :P
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby yogi » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:02 am

[quote="yogi"]If the groundhog saw his shadow this year then Steve will be singing.

Did he see his shadow??[/quote]

I just looked it up, He DID see his shadow.

Steve WILL be performing with Journey!!!!!
yogi
Stereo LP

Location: Carthage, Texas (FREE health care, housing, autos, gas, food, entertainment, FOR ALL!!)

Postby Moose » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:04 am

yogi wrote:If the groundhog saw his shadow this year then Steve will be singing.

Did he see his shadow??

He did! I still wouldn't hold my breath though...lol
Moose
Cassette Tape

Postby MotherCitay » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:17 am

The stage is set .... I see SP

https://twitter.com/nealnmichaele?lang=en
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby brywool » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:21 am

brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby scarab » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:23 am

bummer, link did not work.

but is was cool to go to yahoo page and see Perry at the #1 trending spot.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... 52527bouce
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby scarab » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:30 am

brywool wrote:http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/07/steve-perry-sing-with-journey-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/

WOW! I hope TMZ is right, and that Lights is the swan song with Perry, Rolie, Dunbar.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:51 am

From the title of this thread I thought Cain was going to blow his wad or something.
AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:15 am

Steve Perry owes the fans bigtime. Without the fans, Steve Perry would still be working on that pig farm.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:19 am

JourneyHard wrote:Steve Perry owes the fans bigtime. Without the fans, Steve Perry would still be working on that pig farm.

No...that would be Herbie who Perry owed, for getting him off of the turkey farm. And he doesn't owe the fans anything. He delivered to the fans every night that he was an active performer.
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby SteveForever » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:29 pm

Very cool to see old names on here, thanks to those that have pics!
SteveForever
Stereo LP

Postby slucero » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:35 pm

People need to get a fucking grip about Perry not singing...

The last time Perry ever sang these songs was February 1, 1987. Expecting a 68-year-old man to perform songs he last sang 30 years ago at age 38 is a little much.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:49 pm

slucero wrote:People need to get a fucking grip about Perry not singing...

The last time Perry ever sang these songs was February 1, 1987. Expecting a 68-year-old man to perform songs he last sang 30 years ago at age 38 is a little much.

Neal said he brought guitars that were already detuned in case Perry just wanted to sing some blues. And Perry sang some of these Journey songs with the Eels. He could have done something similar here
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby slucero » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:30 pm

sure.. but he didn't... doesn't make him getting in the hall any less fabulous..

People wanna relive the 80's with Journey and Perry... watch Youtube.. or spin a song..

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

~Albert Einstein
slucero
Compact Disc

Previous

Return to Journey