Journey Thank Fans for ‘Tireless Love’ at Rock and Roll Hall

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Journey Thank Fans for ‘Tireless Love’ at Rock and Roll Hall

Postby jrny84 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:26 pm

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/journey- ... l-of-fame/

Steve Perry was onstage with Journey during their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction tonight. But he didn’t perform with his old band.
“Tonight, I’m here to live out a lifelong dream, to induct the heart of San Francisco music into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame,” said Train frontman Pat Monahan, who inducted the band. “Their music has transcended all things that separate us as humans.” After singing the “nah-nah-nah-nah-nah” part of “Lovin’, Touchin’, Squeezin’,” he said, “They didn’t even need lyrics. That’s how bad-ass this band is. … They weren’t afraid to create songs that made us feel good. I don’t believe in guilty pleasures. You either like it or you don’t, and I have loved this band my whole life.”
Guitarist Neal Schon was inducted along with fellow co-founding members Gregg Rolie and Ross Valory, as well as Steve Smith (their current drummer, he also served stints in 1978-85 and 1995-98), Aynsley Dunbar (1974-78) and Perry (1978-98).
“This was so long time coming, I thought it would never happen,” said Schon, who spoke first for the band. “This is all about you, the fans, and the music that we made together. I love all you guys.” “Without music fans, this place is empty,” Rolie said. “This is about all you guys — especially Journey fans tonight.”
Drummer Smith acknowledged his jazz background and related how he discovered rock ‘n’ roll through Jimi Hendrix, Cream and Led Zeppelin. “But what I heard was Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker and John Bonham,” he said. “At that moment I could relate to rock drumming and rock music.”
Dunbar, Valory and keyboardist Jonathan Cain thanked various people who helped get them started along the way — from family members to former bandmates to radio and industry people. Not so surprisingly, Perry spoke last. “I never saw a band like that in my entire life,” he recalled of the years before joining the group that made him famous. “There was one instrument that was flying above the entire city … that was the magic fingers of Neal Schon’s guitar.”
As he named the members of the band he played with, he asked in amazement, “Are you f—ing s—ting me? Any singer would give his ass for that s—!” He thanked each member individually. “Guys, I thank you so much for all the music we’ve written and recorded together. It will be forever in my heart.”
Before he left the stage, Perry gave a “complete shout-out” to current Journey singer Arnel Pineda, “who sings his heart out every night.” Pineda was not included in the band’s induction, though he did join the band for its three-song performance, which Perry did not participate in. Perry also thanked fans. “You put us here,” he said. “We would not be here had it not been for you and your tireless love and consistent devotion. You never have stopped. I’ve been gone a long time, I understand that, but I want you to know that you’ve never not been in my heart.”
Speculation on whether Perry would join his longtime former bandmates ran rampant in the weeks leading up to Friday’s ceremony at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. He was initially silent on the issue, before Cain indicated that a reunion was in the offing. Cain cautioned, however, that Perry had only agreed to join them in receiving the Hall of Fame award, not in an onstage performance.
Journey led the Hall of Fame fan voting since the start. They beat Electric Light Orchestra, Yes, Pearl Jam and the Cars, who rounded out the Top 5 in that order. Only the Cars missed out on joining Journey in this year’s induction class.
This year’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony will debut on HBO at 8PM ET on April 29.

Read More: Journey Thank Fans for 'Tireless Love' at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/journey- ... ck=tsmclip
jrny84
8 Track

Re: Journey Thank Fans for ‘Tireless Love’ at Rock and Roll

Postby MotherCitay » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/ ... y_and.html

Rock Hall 2017: Steve Perry praises Journey, but doesn't perform

NEW YORK - As expected, seeing Steve Perry onstage with the Journey for the first time in more than 25 years was a magical moment.

The crowd at the sold out Barclays Center in Brooklyn rightfully gave the inducted members of Journey (led by Perry) a standing ovation. And they weren't the only ones moved during Friday's Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony.

Guitarist and Journey's leader Neal Schon was brought to tears as he told the other members he loved them, pointing out Perry specifically.

"What a long ride it's been," Schon said. "It's been a beautiful one."

From there, Journey stepped knee deep into the kind of lengthy band speeches that have plagued the annual Induction Ceremony. But it was worth it to get to the moment many people were in attendance to witness.

"Hello Rock & Roll Hall of Fame," Steve Perry shouted, as fans roared. "You sure look good to me tonight."

Perry then talked about going to see Journey live before he joined the band and being in awe of Schon's guitar playing. The band's manager Walter "Herbie" Herbert later discovered Perry and connected him with Schon. The rest was, as they say, history.

In a nice moment, Perry then gave credit to Journey's current lead singer Arnel Pineda for "singing his heart out every single night" with the band.

"I've been gone a long time," said Perry told fans at the end of his speech. "But you've always been in my heart. I want you to know that."

After Perry's speech, Journey hit the stage. The one thing that was surely on the minds of everyone in the arena was whether or not Perry would perform with the band.

Journey's set began with Pineda belting out the lyrics to "Separate Ways" (which included an epic guitar solo from Schon). Journey's ability to remain an engaging touring force for such a long time is, in no small part, due to Pineda. It showed Friday night.

Schon then invited former drummer Aynsley Dunbar and keyboardist Gregg Rolie on stage to perform "Lights" with the band. The set closed out with a soaring version of "Don't Stop Believin.'"

If you haven't guessed by now, Perry did NOT sing with the band. I wish I could say it didn't matter. Journey's performance was solid, especially compared to the other classic rock bands inducted Friday.

But not having Perry perform deprived fans of a moment they'd been longing to see for three decades. Perhaps it is time to stop believing.
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby FamilyMan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:31 pm

Neal was choking back tears. He was clearly moved.
"I'd love to hear his voice again." - Neal Schon 2008
FamilyMan
8 Track

Postby SusieP » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Yeh, looking at Neal's posts on Facebook and Twitter and his replies to comments, he is really emotional about this - and quite rightly so. He has reached out so many times only to be rebuffed or met with silence. Now it looks like doors are open both ways.

The Journey line up with Steve Perry was a great one.
And we all know what happened between them because those of us who have been members here for a long time have discussed it ad infinitum until we drove ourselves crazy. Our comments certainly won't have helped heal any rifts. Press and fan comments probably stirred up more shit between them than they ever did themselves.

When they got their Hollywood pavement star 12 years ago, we all hoped they would heal the wound but nothing was forthcoming.
Now, they are older, wiser and so are we.
The smiles on those faces in the pictures released look genuine to me and I think they give off a vibe of relief.
Relief that they will talk again, and get together - not necessarily to make music, but to heal.
I feel happy.
They look happy and I hope they get together as close mates again.

It's all a very nice and happy feeling.
And don't they all look great!!!
These guys are not thirty any more - but I think they all look amazing.
And this induction into the R7RHoF is LONG overdue.
They deserve it so much.
I feel justice has been done and that a very long silence between one time bandmates is going to be rectified.
8)

I haven't posted here in forever - I miss Deano - but after Journey have finally received an honour which they so richly deserve, I felt the need to come back in here and post a few words.

http://www.smoothduo.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/SuzeFromSmoothDuo/
Twitter - @smoothduo

Rest In Peace Deano.
SusieP
Stereo LP

Return to Journey