Perry dangling the carrot again

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Perry dangling the carrot again

Postby 4everkop » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:31 pm

Says a new album coming out this year...again!

How long will he keep saying this?
http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-new ... -albu.html
4everkop
45 RPM

Re: Perry dangling the carrot again

Postby HydraRed » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:16 pm

Who knows, maybe it happens this time. Hopefully some kind of fire was re-lit. Perry's always said he lives off of a crowd, and I mean, the crowd went apeshit for him. I thought watching live that there was no way he couldn't sing after that reception, but alas. Maybe this does something for him this time.

One can only hope.
HydraRed
Radio Waves

Postby 4everkop » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:23 pm

Im hoping! Id order it now
4everkop
45 RPM

Postby bellairepark73 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:32 pm

Well, to show our support...go out and buy his Street Talk CD and vinyl and FTLOSM albums and get one for every person on your wish list. I know I am. Just him appearing alone at the RRHOF should have sparked sales. I am disappointed that it hasn't. I had the surreal pleasure of being there and I couldn't BELIEVE my eyes. I knew he was going to be there, but it was...UNBELIEVABLE. It was a great speech and I am still recovering from an almost ripped out throat.

so, let's make it worth his while and ours. I am...next paycheck going to get the Street Talk and FTLOSM cds for a friend of mine that is a professional opera singer and likes his music as well and work my way down my list. It's not long but it is for people I care about.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby LazzMan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:38 am

You know, there's no reason why he can't collaborate with Schon and Cain again. It doesn't need to be Journey. Just a few songs would be nice. He's not 30 years old anymore but he can certainly still sing and it would be nice to see what sort of "magic" they could come up with.

Ahh well...here's to wishing. :)
LazzMan
Ol' 78

Postby Tomulator » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:38 am

Reading this makes last night all the more FRUSTRATING and DISAPPOINTING.

His speaking voice sounded good...if not "higher" than it has been. I suspect his singing
voice has regained some of its power and range too. Stands to reason.

I just cannot understand or accept the fact that he didn't sing last night...baffles the mind!

As a fan...I'm really depressed about it.

☹️
"I was merely probing the patient for muscle tone and skeletal girth. We mock what we don't understand."
Tomulator
Cassette Tape

Postby AR » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:44 am

Stop torturing yourselves.

AR is just a longtime net troll who is bored with trolling just Journey most of the time so he's looking for other places to troll and get reactions.

"StillStanding" from the karaoke Boston forum and night manager at Home Depot
AR
Digital Audio Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:52 am

Which do you think will happen first?
A) Steve Perry releases his new CD.
B) Man walks on the planet Mars.

I think the odds are 50/50.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:19 am

JourneyHard wrote:Which do you think will happen first?
A) Steve Perry releases his new CD.
B) Man walks on the planet Mars.

I think the odds are 50/50.

Steve Perry and Frankie Sullivan record a new album together after pigs grow wings and fly Perry and Sullivan to Mars.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:29 pm

4everkop wrote:Says a new album coming out this year...again!

How long will he keep saying this?
http://abcnewsradioonline.com/music-new ... -albu.html

And, it's all songs about the death of his last girlfriend. Is it just me, or does that sound like an incredibly depressing subject? I don't know....and album of, "I Gave up on Love" and, "She Convinced me to Love Again" and, "She Died and it Hurts That We Loved Each Other" songs is, well, sad.

If that is what he needs to get out creatively, then fine. But, for me, I'm skeptical that it's going to deliver the right vibes.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby marco17 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:16 am

This is more of the same until something actually sees the light of day. Of course the media and casual fans will eat it up because of the current attention, and six months from now when nothing is out, nobody except the diehard Perry fans will remember or notice.
Last edited by marco17 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
marco17
8 Track

Postby JourneyLFN » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:00 am

I just wonder if he is doing some covers:

"And we really have been doing our very best to capture what I think are some timeless songs," he said.

Timeless, as in they already are timeless, or timeless, as in he has written his own?

I really think it's going to happen.
JourneyLFN
Radio Waves

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:55 pm

I thought I read somewhere he is going to cover two Beatles' songs. I am not sure which songs. That could be smart. Everybody knows the Beatles and with Perry singing them, they could become hit songs.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby StoneCold » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:19 pm

JourneyHard wrote:I thought I read somewhere he is going to cover two Beatles' songs. I am not sure which songs. That could be smart. Everybody knows the Beatles and with Perry singing them, they could become hit songs.

No disrespect but the only Beatles covers I've liked were by Lou Gramm.

I guess he could do Yesterday or Blackbird and get away with it but I doubt he'll put anything out. If this is an artistic thing why do covers after all this time?

If you find the article again, I'd be interested in seeing it.
StoneCold
Compact Disc

Postby yulog » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :roll:
yulog
Stereo LP

Postby Monker » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:48 pm

StoneCold wrote:
JourneyHard wrote:I thought I read somewhere he is going to cover two Beatles' songs. I am not sure which songs. That could be smart. Everybody knows the Beatles and with Perry singing them, they could become hit songs.

No disrespect but the only Beatles covers I've liked were by Lou Gramm.

I guess he could do Yesterday or Blackbird and get away with it but I doubt he'll put anything out. If this is an artistic thing why do covers after all this time?

If you find the article again, I'd be interested in seeing it.

He could have covered the slower version of "Help" and nailed it...not sure about now. And, it would fit the "theme" of the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6QtEfw--z4
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby MotherCitay » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:44 pm

Monker wrote:
Is it just me, or does that sound like an incredibly depressing subject? I'm skeptical that it's going to deliver the right vibes.

It's just you :lol:

Adele's heartache & depression has banked her millions. There's a market for sadness ...

Adele/Net worth - $125 million
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby Greg » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:31 am

I think I remember Steve Perry saying the same words of, "I'm recording an album and it should be out sometime later this year" back in 2014 after he performed with the Eels. That's been about 3 years ago. Although, it seems like Perry adds a little more carrot to the string each time. Such as, "50 new song ideas", "Songs are about my lost love", "I'm building a recording studio in my house", and "It's going to be an emotional album."

I wished someone could just point blank say to him, "Steve, you've been saying for a few years now that a new album is coming out yet year in and year out, your fans get disappointed. Are you really putting an album out this year? Can you give us something to let us know it's in the works? Soundbytes?"

I mean, I wouldn't want anybody to be rude to the guy, but come on, it's like the little boy who cried wolf. Most of his fans don't believe him anymore when he says it.
Greg
Cassette Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:47 am

He has, as you've said, cried wolf in the past. But from this interview, it sounds as if it's a done deal already, just waiting to be released. I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

He's said in the past that if he has nothing to say, he has no reason to record anything. I'm sure that his life's recent events have left him with a lot to say....it just took some extra time to figure out how to say it right. You can't rush perfection. I'm being realistic about it as well....but we shall see.

If he does happen to do a couple of Beatles covers, Blackbird would be a great choice. Dionne Farris did a killer soulful cover years back. He could do wonders with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArEpEVEPy0E

Maybe also In My Life?
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby MotherCitay » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:26 am

The long and winding road ... with Neal on guitar :idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrcYPTRcSX0
MotherCitay
45 RPM

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:59 am

This would be the perfect time to release a new CD if Perry has one recorded and ready. He could put "Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame Singer" on the cover somewhere on a little sticker.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:31 am

MotherCitay wrote:
Monker wrote:
Is it just me, or does that sound like an incredibly depressing subject? I'm skeptical that it's going to deliver the right vibes.

It's just you :lol:

Adele's heartache & depression has banked her millions. There's a market for sadness ...

Adele/Net worth - $125 million

I think she's horrible and Strange Medicine was depressing enough.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Steve Perry is smart. He didn't sing at Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame. Now, that leaves the demand to hear him sing very high. People will have to go to his solo tour to see him sing. Perry will probably do a limited 30 city tour, and do only two cities per week so he doesn't overdo it. That would be a nice three-month tour after his new album is out, of course. He will be able to sing the Journey hits plus Trial By Fire songs and his solo stuff. It will be a good show. He is probably waiting for the new Little Caesars' Arena to open in Detroit so he can perform there. So, next fall or winter tour.

I am just putting this out there. LOL :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Monker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:39 am

JourneyHard wrote:Steve Perry is smart. He didn't sing at Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame. Now, that leaves the demand to hear him sing very high. People will have to go to his solo tour to see him sing. Perry will probably do a limited 30 city tour, and do only two cities per week so he doesn't overdo it. That would be a nice three-month tour after his new album is out, of course. He will be able to sing the Journey hits plus Trial By Fire songs and his solo stuff. It will be a good show. He is probably waiting for the new Little Caesars' Arena to open in Detroit so he can perform there. So, next fall or winter tour.

I am just putting this out there. LOL :D

Yeah, but April Fool's was over a week ago.

It does make you wonder though...what things could have been like if Perry had toured a few times between ROR and FTLOSM. Sony didn't want to release "Against the Wall"? Fine, take it on tour. He could have made it his own show with a few R&B covers, maybe doing some of the Journey songs with new arrangements, previewing new songs, etc.

He could have done a lot but he waited too long to try to get back into things....and MUCH too long after FTLOSM and TBF.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby StoneCold » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Monker wrote:
Yeah, but April Fool's was over a week ago.

That's probably when he made the announcement.
StoneCold
Compact Disc

Postby bellairepark73 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:58 am

Did anyone bother to remember that when he said that if he had something to say he would say it??? He wont crank out a record just to be cranking out a record, people. So now it is confirmed by John 5 who has publicly said that he is on it and co-written a handful of tunes: http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arts-and ... gs-to-know

So much for dangling the carrot.
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby 4everkop » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:18 am

Lol you post this like he hasn't strung people along for 20+ years...
4everkop
45 RPM

Postby perryfan61 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:19 am

I believe there is a CD ready to be released. When that will happen is up to SP. I hope there are some up-beat songs on it too, but if it's anything like his other solo albums, it will reflect his current mood....and since he has worn nothing but black in the last few years, I'm guessing it's very sombre.
Still, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby bellairepark73 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:48 am

As per http://www.kshe95.com/news/real-rock-ne ... solo-album
Let's hope, because "somewhere there's hope". :wink:
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby Archetype » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:49 am

I don't even call it "dangling the carrot" any longer. It's just a deliberate lie for media relevancy. Same story over and over again.
"It's really important if you're going to remain a valid band that you play your new stuff. Otherwise you become a parody of what you started out doing." - Janick Gers of Iron Maiden
Archetype
Cassette Tape

Next

Return to Journey