Old 1997 tour info regarding Journey and Steve Perry

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Old 1997 tour info regarding Journey and Steve Perry

Postby TotoFan77 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:09 am

This is really cool. What are your thoughts when you look back at where things were 20 years ago.

http://www.journey-tribute.com/journey/ ... o_old.html

December 97: Irving Azoff (Journey Management) announced that there will be NO TOUR (or another reunion album) until Steve Perry's hip is healed, which will probably require surgery. So, it could be a year or more before the band will think about touring.
October 97: No new information about the reunion tour. Journey management still has nothing to say about the tour (or any future Journey plans).

June 97: I have heard that Journey will start working on a 2nd reunion album in September. After they release they album they will go on tour. So, it is possible Journey will tour for the summer of '98.

March 27, 1997: Sony Music removed the "announcement coming soon" notice on their tour page. There is now no text on the page.

March 97: The latest rumors say that Journey's ten year reunion tour will be delayed even longer because of Steve Perry's injury. He suffered his hip injury while hiking in Hawaii, three days after recording the Trial By Fire album.

When I spoke with Journey's new manager, Irving Azoff, in December, he said said the tour would probably start around April 1997. By February tour plans were still not released. I spoke to him again in February. He said that he still hasn't started planning the tour and then admitted that there is the possibility that Journey may not tour at all.

In March a reliable source reported that Steve will undergo hip surgery. He also said that Neal and Jonathan will work on a musical score for a movie. When it's done they hope Steve will be ready to tour.

March 15, 1997: Billboard Online released news on Journey's tour:

"Journey, who has scored a major hit with its first album in 10 years, "Trial By Fire," will not be touring this summer behind the platinum project. According to sources, lead singer Steve Perry, who hurt his hip on vacation quite some time ago, is not up to touring. Perry's "medical options are being researched," says a source, and an announcement regarding his condition will be made within a few weeks."
November 11, 1996: Pollstar The Concert Hotwire briefly mentioned Journey in its Concert Tour Gossip section.

"With the new Journey album selling very well out of the box, concert promoters are eagerly anticipating the group's upcoming reunion tour. Although no dates have been officially announced, the group had reportedly been planning to hit the road in February. Sources now say that timetable might be jeopardized by Steve Perry's chronic back problems. The schedule now apparently depends on how Perry responds to therapy treatments."
TotoFan77
Ol' 78

Re: Old 1997 tour info regarding Journey and Steve Perry

Postby JourneyHard » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:02 am

They were planning another album? I wonder if they already had recorded more songs we don't know about. If they had done another album, they would have had to tour alone and have a three-hour concert to fit all these songs in.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:39 pm

TotoFan77 wrote:This is really cool. What are your thoughts when you look back at where things were 20 years ago.

I think TBF is a great album, despite too many ballads. However, I feel the band should have moved on with Kevin Chalfant and Rolie when they had the chance.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:53 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
TotoFan77 wrote:This is really cool. What are your thoughts when you look back at where things were 20 years ago.

I think TBF is a great album, despite too many ballads. However, I feel the band should have moved on with Kevin Chalfant and Rolie when they had the chance.

Rolie and Chalfant would have been great. Also, they should have kept Jeff Scott Soto as lead singer and went in a new direction. Soul Sirkus should have been a Journey album. It was fresh and full of energy.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby scarab » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 am

It is sad that the awesome song Message of Love never got the spins it deserved.
Remove one ballad and put in I can see it when you smile, and you have a classic Journey album.

I remember Kalodner (or maybe it was Shirley) saying sometime in the Spring of 97 that they were pushing around the next single, and Still she cries was at the top of the list, what a song. So sad the masses never heard it.
scarab
Cassette Tape

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:48 am

One of the Classic Rock stations here in Cleveland was giving Message Of Love heavy air-play around the time of Trial By Fire's release. At the same time all of the other stations around here were playing When You Love a Woman.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:06 pm

scarab wrote:Remove one ballad and put in I can see it when you smile, and you have a classic Journey album.

I think you mean "I Can See It In Your Eyes."
"I Can See It When You Smile" sounds like an unreleased Bad English tune.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:52 am

On Detroit Classic Rock Station, they played Can't Tame The Lion a couple times that I happened to hear it. So, I am guessing they must have played it a bunch more. What are the odds I would tune in for the only times they played it?
JourneyHard
LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:33 am

The same Cleveland Classic Rock station that played "Message Of Love" a lot, also played "Can't Tame The Lion" a little bit too.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Return to Journey