Rolie and Cain

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:23 pm

Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Re: Rolie and Cain

Postby George_g888 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:37 am

Good Find. Some thoughts:

Not really surprising. Last April when Journey & Santana did shows, Neal was basically saying the same thing Rolie is saying now. (On why GR didn’t perform with Journey) Also over the past year, Schon has been posting a lot more stuff about Gregg Rolie on Social Media, so I guess it’s not surprising Neal has talked to him about rejoining the band. From an outsider’s perspective, Gregg performing with the band and Cain onstage at the Rock Hall seemed to work well, so it’s easier to envision a Journey w/both Cain & Rolie. But still, there are things that need to be worked out. It's not as simple as some may want to think.

Lastly, all bands have issues. I don’t like that Neal is posting his beef about his other band mates on Twitter & Facebook for the world to see. It doesn’t make him look good. Talk to them in private. Say what you need to say in private.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby Gideon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:57 am

What did the tweet say?
It's been deleted now.
'Nothing was bigger for Journey than 1981’s “Escape” album. “I have to attribute that to Jonathan coming in and joining the writing team,” Steve Perry (Feb 2012).'
Gideon
Stereo LP

Postby tater1977 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:14 am

LoL he did delete that comment. It was in answer to a
question of something like ... 2 members of the band ?
NS - 'Fuckin' egos'.

Neal Schon‏Verified account @NealSchonMusic · 11h11 hours ago

My whole idea was to have Journey and Santana co mingling as the bands were I also have the name Journey music festival so all r welcome

Neal SchonVerified account @NealSchonMusic

This was my plan all along but could not talk 2 into it.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Memorex » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:21 am

tater1977 wrote:LoL he did delete that comment. It was in answer to a
question of something like ... 2 members of the band ?
NS - 'Fuckin' egos'.

Neal Schon‏Verified account @NealSchonMusic · 11h11 hours ago

My whole idea was to have Journey and Santana co mingling as the bands were I also have the name Journey music festival so all r welcome

Neal SchonVerified account @NealSchonMusic

This was my plan all along but could not talk 2 into it.

Has to be Cain and Valory. Smith I'm sure doesn't get much of a vote. Arnel would probably love it and enjoy that there is another vocalist there.
Memorex
Stereo LP

Postby George_g888 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:31 am

It is Jon & Ross. Check out Neal's Facebook page. He posted that Greg Rolie Interview there too. Lots of interesting comments NS makes under that post. If he is that upset he really needs to sit down w/ Jon and Ross rather than voicing his displeasure online.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:52 am

George_g888 wrote:It is Jon & Ross. Check out Neal's Facebook page. He posted that Greg Rolie Interview there too. Lots of interesting comments NS makes under that post. If he is that upset he really needs to sit down w/ Jon and Ross rather than voicing his displeasure online.

That was my initial gut feel as well, however, we don't know that he hasn't and now is frustrated.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby George_g888 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:49 am

Eric wrote:
George_g888 wrote:It is Jon & Ross. Check out Neal's Facebook page. He posted that Greg Rolie Interview there too. Lots of interesting comments NS makes under that post. If he is that upset he really needs to sit down w/ Jon and Ross rather than voicing his displeasure online.

That was my initial gut feel as well, however, we don't know that he hasn't and now is frustrated.

Even if they have talked and he is still frustrated, posting his beef on Facebook about what should be private band/management discussions is not very cool imo.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby tater1977 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:44 am

George_g888 wrote:
Eric wrote:

Even if they have talked and he is still frustrated, posting his beef on Facebook about what should be private band/management discussions is not very cool imo.

He really is having a go at it on FB.

Neal Schon - FB

Neal Schon Yes well there's a whole lot that needs to be aired and sometimes the best way is to have it exposed and not candy coated. Honestly you don't have a clue what's been going on.... it may go in my up and coming book.
This is not --- around ---- rather directly out.
I'm here for the fans at this point.
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby perryfan61 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:42 am

That should be an interesting book!!
I'm not a fan of Santana and Journey "co-mingling" ... 2 completely different styles going on there. If Neal wants Journey to open for Santana, or vice versa, then he could play on both. I'm not sure Carlos would go for that though.

Not looking good for any new music during their Vegas gig....not with this much tension going on!!
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tj » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:44 am

Without Rolie, there is no Journey for Cain to join. Rolie leaves, Cain helps them go to a much higher level. Ross gets dumped by Perry, Cain and Schon, then Rolie helps provide him a vehicle to stay somewhat relevant with the Storm. Based on that, I would think that both Cain and Ross would be at least open to the idea, unless Cain sees it as having to share the spotlight or that Rolie is trying to cash in on the Journey gravy train.

Seems to me it could be most about money. The fewer performers, the more for the ones who do play.
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:04 am

Replace Cain with Rolie and all the promotion would be is Journey adds back an original/founding member - AND the setlist improves.
Eric
Eric
Stereo LP

Postby tj » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Maybe Jon is just saying "Do whatever you want, just don't call it Journey. Don't crack the stone." :?
tj
Cassette Tape

Postby Monker » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:13 pm

tj wrote:Maybe Jon is just saying "Do whatever you want, just don't call it Journey. Don't crack the stone." :?

Or, maybe Steve Perry still has a vote on such things...that's what Schon was saying years ago with Augeri in the band.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:21 pm

I can't imagine Ross would give a shit, can you?
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby brywool » Mon May 01, 2017 12:29 am

Cain's been a PITA for the band for the past few years. Isn't it Cain that doesn't want to do new music? Might be time for him to take a break. I DO think it's not great for Neal to air those things because it probably doesn't help band relations. Still...what's Jon's problem?
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby JourneyHard » Mon May 01, 2017 6:57 am

tj wrote:Seems to me it could be most about money. The fewer performers, the more for the ones who do play.

If that is the case, they wouldn't have gotten a lead singer, and they would have had Deen sing lead vocals and play drums. They could have divided up the loot four ways instead of five.
JourneyHard
LP

Postby George_g888 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:39 am

One thing I think it’s worth to keep in mind: Gregg Rolie has appeared onstage w/ the band before, in recent years. Austin 2009 & Vegas 2013.

Jon and Ross were apparently fine with it then, I wonder what changed now?

Also, I’m curious as to what Schon was hypothetically suggesting they play w/ Rolie. (During the Journey/Santana 2016 shows)
Maybe Schon wanted to do some Pre-Steve Perry material, and Jon & Ross were adamantly opposing it? Or maybe he wanted to bring Rolie out and told Cain to sit out a couple of songs, and Ross sided w/ Jon in saying that’s unfair to Jon? Or perhaps Cain simply didn’t want to share the spotlight w/ Rolie. But then why would Ross care?

IDK about any of the scenarios above. I’m just trying to think of situations on why Jon & Ross would object this time around.

The point is, I’m interested in hearing the other side(s) of this story. I certainly am not going to trust Neal Schon’s facebook rants as the end all be all on this.
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby JourneyHard » Mon May 01, 2017 8:15 am

Imagine a tour with Gregg Rolie where Arnel can rest his pipes a little. This would be fresh set list with the Dirty Dozen, pre-Perry, and Post-Perry material!

1. Separate Ways
2. Stone In Love
3. Just The Same Way
4. Lights
5. Escape
6. I'm Gonna Leave You
7. Open Arms
8. Feeling That Way
9. Anytime
10. Who's Cryin' Now
11. (New Song)
12. Of A Lifetime
13. Live and Breathe
14. Change For The Better
15. Edge Of The Moment
16. Wheel In The Sky
17. Faithfully
18. Any Way You Want It
19. Don't Stop Believ'n
20. Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'
JourneyHard
LP

Postby tater1977 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:22 am

Anyone remember why Santana and Journey guys didn't co-mingle on stage
last Sept at AT&T Park ?
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby Journey/Survivor » Mon May 01, 2017 11:13 am

I love Cain's keyboard playing and songwriting, and I used to think that he might be the best quality human in the band. But in recent years he seems to be the biggest thing holding Journey back.
He doesn't want to record a new album because it wouldn't make him the mountain of money that he would want it to.
He seems to be one of the main people who insists on continuing to play the same set of songs night after night show after show instead of reviving the set-list and making it fun again with deeper cuts.
If he were to record new music with Journey he wants it to be packed with more ballads, which have been done to death since he joined Journey.
And he must be the main person who is resisting Rolie rejoining the band.
Journey/Survivor
Stereo LP

Postby MysteryMountain » Mon May 01, 2017 11:51 pm

I know the wording makes it sound like 2 Journey members, but are we sure? Didn't that Santana thing fall short, because of Carlos? Could it be Carlos & Cain they are alluding to, or do we know for a fact it was 2 Journey members? I'm with someone else who mentioned it, wtf would Ross care? Jon, yes, for sure. But Ross? He should be just happy he's getting paid, as much as I love the guy.

I would love a short sweet Gregg tour with the guys again. In fact, I'd be more revved up, excited, & go out of my way to see something like that, as opposed to the same ol' same ol'.

Revive the 77-80 tours/songs. Of course those poor "fair weather fans" can bite it, as they should completely dismiss the "Dirty Dozen" (with the exception of a few), for a year.
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Postby George_g888 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:33 am

It was 2 Journey members. Neal has said on twitter and facebook that it was BOTH Jon & Ross. I know he has since deleted his twitter posts saying that, and has deleted some Facebook comments too.

If Ross really doesn’t care, why would Neal implicate him then? That seems really unfair to him.

But yea, I am very curious as to why Ross said no.

Here are some replies from other Facebook accounts when Schon said it was both Cain & Ross objecting:

Bryan Woolley “"A couple of the guys voted no"
?!?!?!?!?!?!! yikes. I see you outted them below. Dang, next band field trip could be tense. Might wanna hang with Arnel and let Ross and Jon go on all the rides with each other.”

Mike Williams Jr “I kind of get Jonathan Cain's point of view. I don't agree with it, but I get it.

But I don't understand Ross Vallory. Didn't he play with all those guys?”

Scott Searles “Neal nothing against Jon....but all the songs i want to hear he had nothing to do with. As for Ross....dam that sux!”
George_g888
Ol' 78

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue May 02, 2017 3:11 am

Maybe some are just not as ambitious to venture out of the comfort zone any longer. Neal and Smith are very similar, in that they always have a creative fire burning and are pushing themselves to do something new and better. Perhaps others are just content with cashing in and playing the greatest hits, instead of writing new material or re-learning older material?
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Tue May 02, 2017 3:31 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Maybe some are just not as ambitious to venture out of the comfort zone any longer. Neal and Smith are very similar, in that they always have a creative fire burning and are pushing themselves to do something new and better. Perhaps others are just content with cashing in and playing the greatest hits, instead of writing new material or re-learning older material?

When you no longer want to create new music (or the music you are writing isn't for your main band) it's time to move on. YUP Neal said it was Jon and Ross. Maybe it's time for "RevelAtion Saints" with Neal, Smitty, Arnel, and Greg. Does the singer from Train play bass? He sounds like Journey's biggest fan, I'm sure he'd learn to get a chance to play with those guys. ;)
Probably won't see Jon sporting a "Make Journey Great Again" hat anytime soon.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby tater1977 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:13 am

Maybe Neal's thoughts on Jon's side career ?

e.JPG
e.JPG (40.14 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue May 02, 2017 4:26 am

tater1977 wrote:Maybe Neal's thoughts on Jon's side career ?

I would say so. Neal's recently updated Twitter profile is also a subtle jab at Jon.
It now reads: "The other 2 Dudes SP&NS that wrote Don't Stop Believin."
Jon's profile for the longest time has said: "The dude who wrote Don't Stop Believin'"
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby MysteryMountain » Tue May 02, 2017 5:58 am

George_g888 wrote:It was 2 Journey members. Neal has said on twitter and facebook that it was BOTH Jon & Ross. I know he has since deleted his twitter posts saying that, and has deleted some Facebook comments too.

If Ross really doesn’t care, why would Neal implicate him then? That seems really unfair to him.

But yea, I am very curious as to why Ross said no.

Here are some replies from other Facebook accounts when Schon said it was both Cain & Ross objecting:

Bryan Woolley “"A couple of the guys voted no"
?!?!?!?!?!?!! yikes. I see you outted them below. Dang, next band field trip could be tense. Might wanna hang with Arnel and let Ross and Jon go on all the rides with each other.”

Mike Williams Jr “I kind of get Jonathan Cain's point of view. I don't agree with it, but I get it.

But I don't understand Ross Vallory. Didn't he play with all those guys?”

Scott Searles “Neal nothing against Jon....but all the songs i want to hear he had nothing to do with. As for Ross....dam that sux!”

Ah, Ok, thank you for the clarification.

The_Noble_Cause wrote:
tater1977 wrote:Maybe Neal's thoughts on Jon's side career ?

I would say so. Neal's recently updated Twitter profile is also a subtle jab at Jon.
It now reads: "The other 2 Dudes SP&NS that wrote Don't Stop Believin."
Jon's profile for the longest time has said: "The dude who wrote Don't Stop Believin'"

ha! that's awesome - good for Neal.
MysteryMountain
Ol' 78

Postby FishinMagician » Tue May 02, 2017 7:45 am

I don't get why Ross would object either? :?
FishinMagician
8 Track

Postby Monker » Tue May 02, 2017 8:07 am

FishinMagician wrote:I don't get why Ross would object either? :?

As long as the band is making him money, I don't see why Ross should care.
Monker
Digital Audio Tape

Next

Return to Journey