Jackie's Groove interview Arnel Pineda

Voted Worlds #1 Most Loonatic Fanbase

Moderators: Andrew, T-Bone

Jackie's Groove interview Arnel Pineda

Postby tater1977 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:11 am

Jackie's Groove®‏ @jackiebertone · 2h2 hours ago

Hey Journey® fans! Please tune in to our incredible interview with Journey® incredible lead singer, Arnel Pineda!

05/22/17 JOURNEY Lead Singer – Arnel Pineda

http://entertalkradio.com/jackiesgroove/arnel-pineda/

@8.00 - 9.30 mark :lol: how he met SP
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Re: Jackie's Groove interview Arnel Pineda

Postby perryfan61 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:22 am

Well....that was a little TMI!! Hilarious :D :lol: :roll:
The injury that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance. Steve Perry
perryfan61
8 Track

Postby tater1977 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:35 am

perryfan61 wrote:Well....that was a little TMI!! Hilarious :D :lol: :roll:

Well you know, when nature calls, you better answer... :lol:
Perry's good natured bonhomie & the world’s most charmin smile,knocked fans off their feet. Sportin a black tux,gigs came alive as he swished around the stage thrillin audiences w/ charisma that instantly burnt the oxygen right out of the venue.TR.com
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:34 pm

What I find incredible was Jackie's Groove's tweet calling Arnel iconic. :D Ummm....no. :roll:
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby tater1977 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:04 am

bellairepark73 wrote:What I find incredible was Jackie's Groove's tweet calling Arnel iconic. :D Ummm....no. :roll:

What surprised me the most is Arnel's statement at 16.50 - 17.50 mark.
The way his fans have talked all these years, sounded like he was known/followed
worldwide, before he joined Journey.

But here it sounds like just the opposite was true according to AP.
AP was ready to quit the Philippines and move back to Hong Kong with his wife
because there was nothing for him there in the Philippines anymore.
tater1977
Stereo LP

Postby bellairepark73 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:35 pm

I hope he washed his hands before shaking hands. :shock: :loll
Why does he sound slurred? Was he just waking up?
bellairepark73
45 RPM

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:07 pm

tater1977 wrote:.
The way his fans have talked all these years, sounded like he was known/followed

News to me. I never heard that he had any sort of established fanbase prior to Journey.
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby brywool » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:29 am

The_Noble_Cause wrote:

News to me. I never heard that he had any sort of established fanbase prior to Journey.

He'd been a club singer forever. He'd put out albums over there. While I don't think he was some kind of "Major International Superstar" (You know, like Taylor Swift or The DeFranco Family), he did have some kind of following. Wasn't he playing Manilla and also Hong Kong? Seems like he got around.

Funny story- My wife and I were having dinner with some friends a few months ago. Somehow we got into talking about our friend's military experience in the Navy and what that was like. Knowing that I'm a musician, he talked about an instance years ago where they were in Manilla for some reason (I forget whether he was stationed there or if it was R&R). He mentioned this street that was one of the places to be for service guys. He says he and his buddy ended up going into a bar on the street because he heard some gal in a band blasting out "Barracuda". He said, "It sounded like Heart, so that sounded like a good place to go into . We walked into the bar and I looked up on stage and there was this little Filipino guy singing. He was wailing and we couldn't believe he was nailing all these songs. They were just a cover band, but wow, they were great".

My wife and I looked at each other and we're like "WHOA, we KNOW who that was! I will bet you that was Arnel Pineda from Journey." These guys like Journey, but they don't know AP from anybody nor the whole Manilla story, etc. They're not psycho music fans like myself. So I told them that whole story of how he got picked up by Journey. But what are the chances?? He told me the name of the bar and I asked Arnel about it. He says "Yeah, that was most likely me. We played that bar a lot and back then 'Barracuda' was in our set" (paraphrasing).

Just thought it was a funny coincidence that one of our good friends had actually seen him starting out. He said he was an amazingly good singer and totally sounded like Ann Wilson (we're from Seattle, so we all know who Ann is).

Anyway...
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:56 am

brywool wrote:
The_Noble_Cause wrote:

He'd been a club singer forever. He'd put out albums over there. While I don't think he was some kind of "Major International Superstar" (You know, like Taylor Swift or The DeFranco Family), he did have some kind of following. Wasn't he playing Manilla and also Hong Kong? Seems like he got around.

Funny story- My wife and I were having dinner with some friends a few months ago. Somehow we got into talking about our friend's military experience in the Navy and what that was like. Knowing that I'm a musician, he talked about an instance years ago where they were in Manilla for some reason (I forget whether he was stationed there or if it was R&R). He mentioned this street that was one of the places to be for service guys. He says he and his buddy ended up going into a bar on the street because he heard some gal in a band blasting out "Barracuda". He said, "It sounded like Heart, so that sounded like a good place to go into . We walked into the bar and I looked up on stage and there was this little Filipino guy singing. He was wailing and we couldn't believe he was nailing all these songs. They were just a cover band, but wow, they were great".

My wife and I looked at each other and we're like "WHOA, we KNOW who that was! I will bet you that was Arnel Pineda from Journey." These guys like Journey, but they don't know AP from anybody nor the whole Manilla story, etc. They're not psycho music fans like myself. So I told them that whole story of how he got picked up by Journey. But what are the chances?? He told me the name of the bar and I asked Arnel about it. He says "Yeah, that was most likely me. We played that bar a lot and back then 'Barracuda' was in our set" (paraphrasing).

Just thought it was a funny coincidence that one of our good friends had actually seen him starting out. He said he was an amazingly good singer and totally sounded like Ann Wilson (we're from Seattle, so we all know who Ann is).

Anyway...

Great story! Thanks for sharing!
"Serenity now...insanity later."
Art Vandelay
Cassette Tape

Postby brywool » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:48 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, personally, I think Arnel is the sh*t. Love the guy. Love how gracious he is about the gig, the history, the fans, and his whole amazing stroke of luck that put him in the lead singer spot. But his whole story has been very cool to watch for me personally. When our friend said "yeah, we went into this club... etc." the hair on my arms stood up. It was weird. "Holy crap! I know who you're talking about!"

God. I'm 54 and I still geek out over my favorite bands.
brywool
Digital Audio Tape

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:34 pm

brywool wrote:He'd been a club singer forever. He'd put out albums over there. While I don't think he was some kind of "Major International Superstar" (You know, like Taylor Swift or The DeFranco Family), he did have some kind of following. Wasn't he playing Manilla and also Hong Kong? Seems like he got around.

Anyway...

Very cool, Brywool. There was a story here (prolly BS) that Azoff had him under contract and that's how AP came to Neal's attention. This would make the You Tube story false. At the same time, it does seem like Neal is a total social media/online whore. So who knows. Out of all the replacement singers, Arnel certainly has the widest range. Wouldn't have been my choice personally. Chalfant had a proven record of writing and singing. Same with Bolton. But that's just me...
"I think we should all sue this women for depriving us of our God given right to go down with a clear mind, and good thoughts." - Stu, Consumate Pussy Eater
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Postby JourneyHard » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:41 pm

Arnel said one of his favorite songs was Too late. I think Arnel would be up for the new Journey album to sound like Evolution. :D

Neal, listen to the fans AND Arnel. :D
JourneyHard
LP

Postby The_Noble_Cause » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:57 pm

JourneyHard wrote:Arnel said one of his favorite songs was Too late. I think Arnel would be up for the new Journey album to sound like Evolution. :D

Neal, listen to the fans AND Arnel. :D

About two years ago, Neal said that him and Arnel would start writing new Journey music. Never heard what happened to that. I really don't quite get why they won't just write songs without Cain. Who cares? So many better collaborators out there (Blades, Soto, Swedish Frontiers guys).
The_Noble_Cause
MP3

Return to Journey